PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about BSL---

Kittee
November 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Well folks, now that I'm at tailbone and o so close to classic...

I'm seriously considering going back to up to BSL.
My ends are so dry and damaged from years of coloring, if you look you can clearly see the line of where the color stops and the dry bleached ends begin. After I cut (if I do...) I'm considering going to the "Henna" side of life. I'm getting too many grays for my personal taste (not that I don't envy beautiful grays, its just I'm only 29.)

My ends are also pretty thinned out. I cannot express how much this upsets me. Every time I make a braid I almost cry from it's thinness. I used to be a very solid iii and over the past 4 years, due to my illness and meds, I've slowly watched it fall out.

The only thing holding me back from cutting is that I know I won't feel my hair brushing against my sides and my arms anymore. And that I know that 6 inchs = 1 year. But honest to god, my ends are so damaged I don't know why I can't just let go and get it trimmed.

I know you ladies understand.

I've been going back and forth in my mind for over 2 months now about getting it cut back to BSL. (Some of you may remember my last thread.) So forgive me for making another, but it's such a difficult decision.

For reference...here is where I am at now.

Any thoughts or encouragement is appreicated!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/Nov2008.jpg

Periwinkle
November 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I think your hair is absolutely stunning!

However, if you aren't happy with it, perhaps you should try a slightly more minor cut? Maybe take off the last 3 inches: if you get 6 inches in a year, then it'll only take 6 months to grow back, and it'll still be very long, but you won't have lost quite as much length. If you cut to BSL, how many inches would you cut? Say BSL is 25", and you're at 37" right now. If you decided to maintain at where you are, each 3" would take 6 months to grow back, so 6" in a year. You've got 12" there, so that's only 2 years and you'd be where you are now again, only you'd have stayed there in the meantime.

Dolly
November 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Well, I know you are agonizing over this decision. And, it is a difficult one indeed, to cut off so much of your hair. Why not just try cutting a few inches off? See if that feels ok to you, and then if you feel that you need to, go farther. Do what is best fot YOU. And, do what will make YOU happy. We are all here to support you, no matter what you decide!

mommy101405
November 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I agree with Periwinkle. Just try 3 inches. Give it some time and see if you feel any better and if not try a little more. In your picture I honestly does not look like what you are describing. But if you aren't happy with it then just try trimming a little.

Mugili
November 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I agree with the ladies above.
First a little cut, 3 inches...then take a close look and one month and if you are not feeling better another cut of three inches (and so on if it's necessary).

And henna...why not jet? Are you afraid, that it couldn't work because of chemical in the length?

1nuitblanche
November 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I also think that you might want to start by just taking a few inches off. From the photo, your hair looks beautiful, but I can understand that the feel of the damaged ends would take some of the charm away. The other day I did a tiny trim--maybe 1/8" of the ends of my longest layer; it made a world of difference in the way that it felt, and I can't even tell by looking that it is shorter.

Kittee
November 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Thank you all so much!:flowers:

Are you SURE it doesn't look absolutely ratty and terrible in the picture?

I think you're all right though about the trim. Perhaps I should get my hubby to just take me back up 3 inches or so.

Kittee
November 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with the ladies above.
First a little cut, 3 inches...then take a close look and one month and if you are not feeling better another cut of three inches (and so on if it's necessary).

And henna...why not jet? Are you afraid, that it couldn't work because of chemical in the length?

Nope- LOL just wanted to get rid of some of the dead ends before I henna.

I've been looking at henna for hair trying to figure out what to order. I need to post in the henna section of the forum for tips.

lora410
November 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Well, you could cut to waist and see if you like that better. BSL is kind of a drastic cut.

Isblå
November 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
You say that you consider doing henna after you cut. I don't have any experience with henna, but a lot of people thinks it does wonders to hair quality. Why don't you seek some henna advice in a henna thread and decide if that is what you want before you cut. Maybe that will change the way your hair feels and you might feel that it is enough with a smaller trim afterwards. It is all about what you want, I just wanted to point at the option. Good luck on your decision, I am sure you will look great at BSL too:)

Mugili
November 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
It looks wonderfull! I wish you could see, what I see!

So...3 inches, then henna and then post new pictures!!

trollkjerring
November 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I think your hair looks stunning, no need for a cut to BSL - it's perfect just like it is:)

trollkjerring

Mary <><
November 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Well, you could cut to waist and see if you like that better. BSL is kind of a drastic cut.

I agree. Your hair is absolutely beautiful, but if it will help you to feel better about it I would cut it back to hip or waist and maintain it there until you get the ends you want.

Curlsgirl
November 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Thank you all so much!:flowers:

Are you SURE it doesn't look absolutely ratty and terrible in the picture?

I think you're all right though about the trim. Perhaps I should get my hubby to just take me back up 3 inches or so.

Honestly I am like the others who said your hair looks beautiful! I don't see the damage at all but of course you have to do what makes you happy. Are you sure you aren't being too critical of yourself though?

ChloeDharma
November 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Well, i have to say that reading what you wrote, then seeing that picture i can only conclude you have some kind of hair dysphoria :confused:
If i had your hair i'd not even cut the 3 inches, maybe a little trim and that's it, i definately wouldn't go back to BSL.
Henna will help blend in the colour difference between the new growth and growing out colour (though it's not that dramatic anyway), and will help give the hair strength and should make it smoother.
Honestly, i was expecting to see hair looking like mine did before i cut it off.....if yours nearly makes you cry then you'd be like a wailing banshee if you had to deal with the amount of thinning, breakage and chemical damage i had! :p
My advice, some DT's to make you feel pampered, oiling, wear it up.....then look forward to reaching classic in a year or so :)

Aisha25
November 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Your hairs are beautiful as is and I think henna will look gorgeous in them it will make them sparkle;)

granitbaby
November 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Your hair is beautiful, but I can relate to the urge to cut.

I have a new rule besides the two week rule. If, or when, I get the urge to cut and decides to go a head and do it, I will start with trimming of a third of what I originally thought of. I know from experience that regret about trimming too much isn't any fun at all. I cut back from waist to shoulder one year ago and I still can't figure out what went trough my head :(

Take care! :flower:

Deborah
November 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I would advise against the henna. :couch: I know we have many here who love henna, but keep in mind that it is permanent hair color - as permanent as any other form of dye. I frankly do not think that henna redheads look natural. (Please don't shoot.)

Your own hair color is just beautiful. Why mess with perfection? :) As to the grey issue, those who henna, then decide to go natural, have the exact same problems as all who dye or bleach their hair - a very strong, noticeable demarcation line. Why set yourself up for having to deal with that?

You have the chance right now to go completely natural. For most who have used hard chemicals, going natural is often a far-off dream. Your hair is long enough and pretty enough to do it immediately! Once you remove your damaged hair, you will have nothing but lovely, pure, healthy, all-natural hair!

In college I had a professor who had absolutely beautiful white hair. I later learned that her hair had all gone white when she was only a teenager. She bravely tolerated the change, and soon came to love that white hair. I doubt that that is what is happening to you. I just mention her to remind you that grey and white hairs can be lovely. It is our minds that need to adjust, not our hair.

Many will disagree with me on this, but I doubt that I am the only one who thinks this way.

It is all up to you of course. Just consider at least trying all natural for a while after you cut. You may find that you love it.

As to the length, some are hesitant to lose any length. I don't feel that way. It will all grow back if you want it to. If it were me, I'd cut up to the natural hair, enjoy the swingy naturalness of if, then later decide about color. BSL is still long hair in anyone's book, and has certain advantages of its own - that swingy factor I mention is one of them. You are sick of the damaged ends. Let them go! :flower:

spidermom
November 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I can SO relate to your post; I'm longing for a haircut myself. I'm thinking waist length and layered. I'm so sick of wearing my hair in an aging, unattractive bun. I can't wear it down because the tangling/knotting up is a nightmare, and I don't even have dyed or otherwise severely damaged ends. It's not that I would mourn the loss in length, it's that I've always promised myself that I would have classic-length hair this life-time. I know that I'm allowed to change my mind, but I think abandoning the quest when I'm so close would bother me long term. So ... sigh. It's grow on, I guess.

As for henna, I echo what Deborah just said. It's a lot of maintenance for what is basically a highly unnatural and unflattering color on most people. (there are exceptions; if you henna your hair and wonder what I think, you are one of the exceptions)

Good luck coming to your own best decision.

LutraLutra
November 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Your hair looks lovely, it really does. :blossom: BTW - love the expression on the cat's face. Tee hee.

Speckla
November 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I agree with the 3". Henna on those pieces that you cut off to see what it'd look like. I also agree that Henna'ed redheads do not look natural - those beautiful colors don't happen in nature - but I still think it's a stunning color. I don't think the point of henna is to get natural looking color - but to get vibrant color without the damage of commerical dyes. Any color will have a line of demarcation while growing out.
________
HAWAII MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

mimi1153
November 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Your hair looks great - - I would vote DON'T CUT IT!!

I got mine to TBL and decided to let my DH "trim", he decided my trim needed to be a little more than I anticipated - about 7-8". It made such a huge difference in my hair. I was very unhappy until it grew back out. He was right, the ends needed it; but it sure changed the way I wore my hair for a while - several do's were not doable. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Angellen
November 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Since you have been thinking about it for so long, I would say just cut it. But not back to BSL! Even small trims can make a difference. Cut maybe an inch or two, and then wait a couple weeks (or longer). Maybe next month cut another inch or two. Then you'll maintain your length longer, and cut the bad stuff out anyway.

That said, I think your hair looks gorgeous. :) It's very pretty. I'd start slow, though, cutting a little at a time, just to make sure you don't overdo it. It grows back, but it can be tough to wait for it to do so, sometimes.

Good luck!

Forlorn Reverie
November 17th, 2008, 03:25 PM
While I don't see all that much damage, and I think your hair is beautiful, ultimately, YOU have to be happy with your hair. I'm going to agree with the people who have said to cut in stages, too. It's a lot easier to take off an inch or two at a time than it is to grow hair if you regret cutting so much at once.

maskedrose
November 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I guess I'm going to be the exception here - I would cut, if I were you. I can definitely see the line of demarcation between damaged/non-damaged hair - your virgin hair looks very healthy, while the damaged hair looks, well, damaged. Your beautiful curl seems to frizzle out at BSL. I personally feel that quality comes over quantity - I would rather have shorter, healthier hair over long, damaged hair. Part of the allure of long hair is it's soft silkiness sliding over your skin, and the effect is kind of ruined when it's dry and damaged, IMO.

Perhaps if you are worried about losing so much length you should try going to waist (or a bit above) and maybe dabbling in henna glosses? While I agree with some of the others that pure henna usually doesn't look natural, I do think that the copper that some members get from henna/cassia mixes does (I'm thinking mainly of Nightshade's new mix that she is now using). Your natural color looks to be a beautiful auburn, so you might find that henna/cassia glosses merely enhance your color while providing great conditioning benefits. Maybe with this combo it will be easier to maintain at waist until the damage is grown out?

Kittee
November 17th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Alright the deed is done.

I had my hubby cut about 4 inches off tonight wet, straight across the bottom. (Blunt cut.)

We will see in AM how much it shrinks up!

Thanks for all the kind advice/support!

MountainGypsy
November 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
You have lovely hair either way and I know what it is like to want to get rid of damage. I had pretty big chop this Spring for that reason.

chotee
November 18th, 2008, 01:27 AM
post some pictures kittee. I would like to go for a 3-4" cut myself, because i have a difference in thickness not damage. I am sure your hair feels a lot healthier and healthy hair makes you happy!

rymorg2
November 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Hi kittee...

I'm a stylist. Let me start by saying I'm glad you decided not to take so much off. You didn't need to lose that much. What you had your husband trim off will be enough imo from what I can see in the pic of your LOVELY hair to clean it up and get rid of some splits. I think from that point that henna will help your hair too. We're our own worst critics, and I do that all the time too. I'm so hard on myself when it comes to my hair.....

Great decision, and post some pics! :D

Laila23
November 18th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I don't think your hair looks ratty or thinned out.

I think your cat is one of the most amazing cats I've seen in a long time. Stunning. (off topic, sorry, but she/he was in the pic!):P

Kittee
November 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM
LOL thank you all and thank you Laila23. =) "Pixel" is my little furbaby. The "apple of my eye" so to speak.

Yep I took a pic this morning but I over slept by 10 mins and I did not have time to upload it yet. I will this evening. I'm happy with it overall. It's more bounce and the ends are SO soft and they don't' feel like velcro hair!

I'm going to do some more research on henna today.

I was thinking about going a "not so red" shade. Even though I do look good in reds. When I was younger I used to try ALL the pretty reds off the drug store shelf and I never had any that didn't suit me. From strawberry to deep plum, I love them all.

My hubby however doesn't like redheads. (WTH?) So I have to tone it down some for his liking. ;)

Kittee
November 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/SillyGirl.jpg

Gratuitous pic of Pixel for her new fan club. :)

Siava
November 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
:lol: Cutie pie kitty.

Kittee
November 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/Nov-Cut08.jpg

Ok NO BODY FREAK OUT-

LOL

This is the cut but I tightly curled and braided it last night while it was still wet. It's really about 2 inches longer that it is showing in this pic.

But I am extremely happy with it. It's bouncy and looks 50% thicker. And my ends are soo soft!

*HUGS EVERYONE*

missbexy
November 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Looks good and healthy.
Also love the cat in 1st picture.

Robinlyn
November 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
OMG!! It looks great! Your hair is very beautiful!

1nuitblanche
November 18th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Your hair looks great! It by no means looked bad before, but it does look even thicker now. I'm glad you're happy with it. :)

cindy58
November 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The cut looks great! Good decision.

Very cute kitty as well!

Sarahmoon
November 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
My hubby however doesn't like redheads. (WTH?) So I have to tone it down some for his liking.

Yes they exist! My bf is the same. I think it's because he has a redhead sister :lol:

jojo
November 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
It actually doesnt look that much shorter but healthier, thicker yes I think you made a good move x

skay
November 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Kittee, your hair looks great and I also agree that it doesn't look all that much shorter.

Great hair color by the way!

And your cat Pixel is an adorable snowball-like bundle of fur and looks cute in her bow tie. :)

Deborah
November 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Your hair looks wonderful! I think it is a lovely improvement; thicker, healthier and all one texture throughout the length. Good job!

Alia
November 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I can totally relate on the skinny braid end thing:(...that said your hair looks way thicker than mine, even in the initial pic.

BTW, love Pixel!

Shorty89
November 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I think your hair looks great post cut. I'm guessing that you are planning on regrowing to TB?

intothemist1999
November 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Awwww, kitty!

Another vote for your hair AS IT IS!! Love it!

However, if you must, I agree with some of the other posts, just do a tiny bit at first.

Kittee
November 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I think your hair looks great post cut. I'm guessing that you are planning on regrowing to TB?

Trying for classic...one painful year...and 6 inchs at a time LOL!

I wore it in a pony tail today and it looks so awesome. The end of the tail is thick and blunt across. LOVE it.

maskedrose
November 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
It looks awesome! I'm so glad you're happy with it :) Healthy, smooth ends = happy person, IMO!

invisiblebabe
November 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
It looks much healthier! :thumbsup: I'd like to see a pic of it when it hasn't been braided overnight, if you have one :)

Your kitty is SO GORGEOUS. I adore cats (my husband and I have three). Is Pixel friendly?

Chrissy
November 22nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'm a little late here but I think it looks much better. It just looks healthier and fresher. I'm glad you are happy with it. It also does not look that much shorter as someone else said.