PDA

View Full Version : Is curly or straight "better"?

SinlessThread
February 14th, 2023, 08:54 AM
This is my first post so I'm sorry if this isn't how you do it.

When I style my hair curly, it is 2c. But if I put it in braids or brush it straight while wet, it's straight. My hair is fine and very tangle prone. It seems that my hair is a lot more tangles and I can't go as long without washing when its curly. I really REALLY want waist length hair, where you bring your hair forward and it covers the frontal region. Right now, I am at bra strap length straight and armpit length curly. Will my hair receive damage if I don't accept my natural hair pattern or will my hair eventually become less tangle prone and more "healthy." Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

paulownia
February 14th, 2023, 09:24 AM
As long as you dont use heat it shouldn't be any damage.
You can alternate between those two options and just happily grow;) you are lucky that you can make ypur hair straight or curly.
I have 2b/2c but I can never get my hair straight just by brushing it wet. It turns hideous every single time :rolleyes:. I have no other option than to style my waves.

Shorty89
February 14th, 2023, 09:27 AM
My hair isn't as wavy as yours but I notice a similar thing. My hair is fine and letting it dry in waves does seem to make it more tangled. Are you brushing it while dry? That wouldn't help your curls and would cause more damage. I don't see anything wrong with wearing it straight as long as you aren't using a flat iron.

SinlessThread
February 14th, 2023, 09:38 AM
My hair isn't as wavy as yours but I notice a similar thing. My hair is fine and letting it dry in waves does seem to make it more tangled. Are you brushing it while dry? That wouldn't help your curls and would cause more damage. I don't see anything wrong with wearing it straight as long as you aren't using a flat iron.

I only brush my hair dry if it has oil in it to help the snargles. If I'm wearing it straight, I'll finger comb wet and put oil on damp hair. Let it dry and then brush with a WetBrush. I never use heat, I always air dry. I have just noticed that the bottom 3-4 inches are very thin and I thought it was because I was changing my styling processes.

lapushka
February 14th, 2023, 09:42 AM
I don't think it matters how you wear it as long as you're happy with it.

Myself, I always wear it wavy. There was a time I wore it straight all of the time, I don't see a difference. Except, I love my texture too much to wear it straight again.

Recently I had a lot of damage due to excessive (and wrong) bunning. I was at classic and my hair was just too short to bun for my thickness. But I still wore it in a bun 24/7 for years.

I cut back to bra strap and wear it out more than ever. It's a lot better for it.

SinlessThread
February 14th, 2023, 10:18 AM
I have been thinking about not using any styling products to see if that helps. I feel bad anytime I wear my hair straight because my son has my curls and I want him to see that curls are awesome.

Bri-Chan
February 14th, 2023, 10:18 AM
As long as what you do are heatless styling methods, they're not gonna hurt your hair. But it will not become less prone to tangles either.

rosenester
February 14th, 2023, 11:13 AM
I have been wondering the same. When I style wavy brushing wet seems to be damaging no matter how much leave-in cream is in, or what I use to detangle. It seemed more damaging… but I still try every once in awhile. As a I enjoy my texture.

Most days I settle on tons of leave-in, air dry completely natural, apply oil and brush when completely dry, and bun to control the poof and rock bun waves when down.

SinlessThread
February 14th, 2023, 11:36 AM
I think for about 3 months, I am going to go no product and see if that helps. I really want to rock my curls but I hate how stringy the bottom always looks.

lapushka
February 14th, 2023, 02:56 PM
I think for about 3 months, I am going to go no product and see if that helps. I really want to rock my curls but I hate how stringy the bottom always looks.

But that's just it. If you want to wear it wavy/curly, you *need* to put stylers in to make it smooth (no fuzz/frizz). If straight, then all it needs, maybe, is serum *or* a bit of leave-in (not even that much). Do not go without product if you want it wavy/curly!

Flossiebell
February 14th, 2023, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you have similar hair to me. I have 2c fine hair and it is currently at tailbone length. Usually I keep my hair loose, in a braid or in a Spock or lwb bun. It’s definitely achievable!
! 😊

gghh
February 14th, 2023, 09:05 PM
I tried the no product thing a long time ago, and I found that at the very least, I need a moisturizing leave in conditioner. Otherwise, my hair got so dry it was impossible not to damage. Albeit my hair is very much in the curly category.

shelomit
February 15th, 2023, 06:08 AM
My hair can do the chameleon thing too--2c/3a if I let it do its own thing, more like 1c/2a if I dry it stretched. I don't think either method has any particular bearing on growth or length retention, so I would advise just to do whichever you prefer. (I alternate according to my whims c:) The only thing that comes to mind is that, if I'm wearing my hair down, I definitely deal with more tangling if it's been dried straight-ish and brushed out than if I keep it wurly. I have no clue if the same would be true of your finer hair, though.

Very sweet that you have your kid's self-confidence in mind <3

SinlessThread
February 15th, 2023, 06:46 AM
Sounds like you have similar hair to me. I have 2c fine hair and it is currently at tailbone length. Usually I keep my hair loose, in a braid or in a Spock or lwb bun. It’s definitely achievable!
! ��

You give me hope lol!

SinlessThread
February 15th, 2023, 06:49 AM
My hair can do the chameleon thing too--2c/3a if I let it do its own thing, more like 1c/2a if I dry it stretched. I don't think either method has any particular bearing on growth or length retention, so I would advise just to do whichever you prefer. (I alternate according to my whims c:) The only thing that comes to mind is that, if I'm wearing my hair down, I definitely deal with more tangling if it's been dried straight-ish and brushed out than if I keep it wurly. I have no clue if the same would be true of your finer hair, though.

Very sweet that you have your kid's self-confidence in mind <3

Oh definitely. I didn't even realize I had curly hair until I was an adult. My dad is bald and my mom keeps her hair very short, so i just grew up thinking I had frizzy hair and there was nothing I could do. I want my son to know he has curls and they can be awesome. If my son didn't have curls, my hair would probably be in a bun 24/7 just to keep it out of the way.

But he loves sproinging my curls lol

SinlessThread
February 15th, 2023, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure how to upload a picture to a post yet, but I've added an avatar picture with my curls brushed out so that you can see what I mean. Why does my hair look soooo damaged? I never use heat and I only use claw clips and scrunchies.

gghh
February 15th, 2023, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure how to upload a picture to a post yet, but I've added an avatar picture with my curls brushed out so that you can see what I mean. Why does my hair look soooo damaged? I never use heat and I only use claw clips and scrunchies.

Those look like very clear curls/wurls to me. I don't know if you've already mentioned using light leave in conditioners, so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but if you have not already tried them they can make a big difference in the health of your hair. Not every hair type needs those, but I think that you might benefit from them. Also, it's very likely that the motion of brushing your hair is disrupting the curl clumps and the pattern.

SinlessThread
February 15th, 2023, 10:45 AM
At this point in type, I will take any suggestions short of ritual sacrifice lol. I don't use leave in conditioner because they either feel too heavy or too light to accomplish anything (it seems to me). I do use a curl cream to help cut the frizziness and I though that would provide enough moisture. Can you give me a suggestion of a light leave in?

gghh
February 15th, 2023, 11:57 AM
At this point in type, I will take any suggestions short of ritual sacrifice lol. I don't use leave in conditioner because they either feel too heavy or too light to accomplish anything (it seems to me). I do use a curl cream to help cut the frizziness and I though that would provide enough moisture. Can you give me a suggestion of a light leave in?

My knowledge of products is limited to the US, so apologies for that. So hair creams from Aussie Moist or Not Your Mother's may be a good place to start. Or the John Frieda anti frizz leave in conditioner - I remember the texture of that being a lot more light weight. Miss Jessie's pillow soft curls might also work really well for your hair type. And then after your leave in, you can add a a gel (those brands I mentioned before have good gels imo, especially as a starting point when you're experimenting with products) to help the curls or waves keep their shape. This is a more expensive brand, but I do think that Ouidad has some of the best holding gel of all time and they make products for wavy hair as well.

Maybe try styling with soaking wet hair or even damp hair. And try to maximize the level of hydration and moisture in your hair because that really is key for curlier hair types

Dark40
February 15th, 2023, 03:53 PM
No, I don't think what you're doing to your hair by brushing it while wet is damaging it. I used to do that to my relaxed hair as kid in the shower all of the time, and my hair never got damaged. Or, was broken off! In fact, it helped to pull my waves and curly hair much straighter! And, I also think it helped my hair to grow as well.

flowercloud
February 16th, 2023, 04:34 AM
I have mid wavy hair and I ask myself this question all the time lol

SinlessThread
February 16th, 2023, 08:24 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I have been wearing my hair curly and it seems like its a detriment to my hair health because my hair doesn't "look" healthy. I am scheduled for a trim and I want to make sure my hair isn't damaged.