PDA

View Full Version : Growing out "the bump".

lapushka
February 7th, 2023, 03:51 AM
This is for those of us who are wanting to re-gain thickness in their hair, due to previous breakage and hair loss. Remember you can't get thicker hair, the follicles on your head are all you get. But anyway... this is to track our progress.

I am starting with a bump because that is what my hair forms when I do a peacock twist. My hair is still thick, its usual thickness at the base, but broke off somehow beyond that point. For me the culprit most likely was bunning too much & the entirely wrong way (not enough length for my circumference) and so now I cut back to bra strap and am starting all over.

Please, join!

This thread was elfynity's idea and rather than not do it, why not go with it and start tracking our progress!

embee
February 7th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Ok. I had horrid hairloss in 2021 after being quite sick (not covid) and then taking the Covid vax. Not sure which caused the problem... but I've never seen so much hair in my hairbrush before or since. Now if I make a ponytail I have decent thickness at the base, and then a real "step down" for the length. I look back at old pics, and my bun was twice the size it is now. :( Hoping I live long enough to regain thickness in the length.

Bri-Chan
February 7th, 2023, 12:09 PM
I've lost what on me is a lot of thickness, few months ago. It was probably a mixture of seasonal hair fall and poor lifestyle. I can't see new hair yet, but I'm prone to think it's something temporary (if I manage to fix the poor lifestyle, sigh). Until this hair fall my ponytail was 7,2/7,3 cm, for years. Now it's almost 1 cm thinner. It may not seem that much, but believe me I can tell I have less hair. Hope to regain something soon.

Ylva
February 8th, 2023, 06:09 AM
I’m still growing back thickness from my telogen effluvium in late 2019. The new growth is only a few cm shorter than my natural hair “border”, so my proper thickness now reaches somewhere around my waist (+- natural layering).

On top of the hair loss, I also have bleach damage in my lengths, which further thinned/thins them out.

As it stands, it would look like I’ll be ready to cut off most of the remaining bleach (aka the suffered bit) later this year, sometime after the summer.

lapushka
February 8th, 2023, 06:39 AM
I’m still growing back thickness from my telogen effluvium in late 2019. The new growth is only a few cm shorter than my natural hair “border”, so my proper thickness now reaches somewhere around my waist (+- natural layering).

On top of the hair loss, I also have bleach damage in my lengths, which further thinned/thins them out.

As it stands, it would look like I’ll be ready to cut off most of the remaining bleach (aka the suffered bit) later this year, sometime after the summer.

Ah the 2 week rule helped. ;) Pity in a sense, because the relief of getting rid of bleach damage is *huge*. It tangles easier, and at that length, but I'm not here to talk you back into said rule. :p

Ylva
February 8th, 2023, 07:25 AM
Ah the 2 week rule helped. ;) Pity in a sense, because the relief of getting rid of bleach damage is *huge*. It tangles easier, and at that length, but I'm not here to talk you back into said rule. :p

Oh, I was going to hold off the cut until after the summer either way! Or well, that’s what I’m trying to do anyway, for the sake of medieval events. I’m cool with the 7-month rule, 2 weeks is way too short of a time at this length. :lol:

I’m also using these months to use up my silicone serums, heaviest conditioners, and the such that my natural hair is less likely to need. :)

lapushka
February 8th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Oh, I was going to hold off the cut until after the summer either way! Or well, that’s what I’m trying to do anyway, for the sake of medieval events. I’m cool with the 7-month rule, 2 weeks is way too short of a time at this length. :lol:

I’m also using these months to use up my silicone serums, heaviest conditioners, and the such that my natural hair is less likely to need. :)

I was so far gone this time when I cut to BSL, that that didn't even enter my mind. The breakage, ah the breakage.

But when I grew out half a head of white dots I went from shoulder to hip and don't ask me how I did that, but at the time I had the patience (and no pressure on me). My mom can't help it that she broke her foot, but it happened and man, it's such a roller coaster, I just cut back this time.

You take your time Ylva! :flower:

vampyyri
February 8th, 2023, 05:05 PM
This was the thread that I needed back when I had my major shed back in 2020 after losing weight too quickly. It took me until 2022 to recover enough to do a big chop to APL to cut off the rest of the thinned out ends. During those two years I was so miserable with my hair and I kept my hair in a very fluffed up bun to try and hide it, I almost never took it down.

So I've been there... it sucks, but it does get better/easier as long as you are kind to yourself.

LongLocke
February 9th, 2023, 05:07 AM
Would growing out layers also count? Since all of my hairs started roughly the same length, I end up having this insane taper. One of my long term goals is to try and even out my hemline at some point. Maybe

I only really ever notice when my hair’s braided, which I only braid rarely. I still haven’t learned how to braid, so I end up asking my wife to braid it for me

Maybe when I hit hip or TBL, I’ll try to slowly shore up the hemline to thicken it out

elfynity
February 9th, 2023, 06:00 AM
This thread was elfynity's idea and rather than not do it, why not go with it and start tracking our progress!
Aah!! thanks lapushka!! I'm glad you went ahead and got it started!

Ylva, this is super exciting for you, I remember quite a while ago when you first decided to grow your bleach out, it's incredible that you are almost at the point now where you are ready to cut off the last bits! That's awesome.

It kind of sucks to belong to this thread :-( But I am glad that I am not alone in this. So, for me, it was 2 back to back sulphate washes with an old sulphate shampoo ( it was probably quite strong ), that I obviously didn't wash properly off my scalp and within a few days, about a third (if not more) of my hair, but the really finest of my fine hairs that made up alot of my thickness, fell out. I had brushloads of hair coming out and was close to tears. I wish I could go back and not do that wash, but at least now I know, and I'd rather make this mistake now so I know for future - but that isn't a happy consolation! I think that it was just very shocking for my hair since I haven't washed with sulphates for a few years.

What made it even worse for me is that my hair had gained a thickness that i had never ever seen in my entire life. I was totally amazed, and couldn't believe how amazing it was looking (and of course, murphy's law, i didn't take a photo of it! ) I always thought that I was destined to have quite thin hair, but no, my hemline became thick and my hair was full, my bun felt much bigger and solid. It was remarkable, it was short-lived and now I don't know how long it is gonna take to get back there. But I've got that bump too now! Everything below my shoulders is quite thin, whereas everything above that is much thicker in relation. Almost like a step in my hair.

lapushka
February 9th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Would growing out layers also count? Since all of my hairs started roughly the same length, I end up having this insane taper. One of my long term goals is to try and even out my hemline at some point. Maybe

I only really ever notice when my hair’s braided, which I only braid rarely. I still haven’t learned how to braid, so I end up asking my wife to braid it for me

Maybe when I hit hip or TBL, I’ll try to slowly shore up the hemline to thicken it out

Sure; we do have a thread specifically for those growing out layers, though. Surprised you haven't seen it around! :)

lapushka
February 9th, 2023, 11:45 AM
This was the thread that I needed back when I had my major shed back in 2020 after losing weight too quickly. It took me until 2022 to recover enough to do a big chop to APL to cut off the rest of the thinned out ends. During those two years I was so miserable with my hair and I kept my hair in a very fluffed up bun to try and hide it, I almost never took it down.

So I've been there... it sucks, but it does get better/easier as long as you are kind to yourself.

Keyword here, for sure! :)

Aah!! thanks lapushka!! I'm glad you went ahead and got it started!

Ylva, this is super exciting for you, I remember quite a while ago when you first decided to grow your bleach out, it's incredible that you are almost at the point now where you are ready to cut off the last bits! That's awesome.

It kind of sucks to belong to this thread :-( But I am glad that I am not alone in this. So, for me, it was 2 back to back sulphate washes with an old sulphate shampoo ( it was probably quite strong ), that I obviously didn't wash properly off my scalp and within a few days, about a third (if not more) of my hair, but the really finest of my fine hairs that made up alot of my thickness, fell out. I had brushloads of hair coming out and was close to tears. I wish I could go back and not do that wash, but at least now I know, and I'd rather make this mistake now so I know for future - but that isn't a happy consolation! I think that it was just very shocking for my hair since I haven't washed with sulphates for a few years.

What made it even worse for me is that my hair had gained a thickness that i had never ever seen in my entire life. I was totally amazed, and couldn't believe how amazing it was looking (and of course, murphy's law, i didn't take a photo of it! ) I always thought that I was destined to have quite thin hair, but no, my hemline became thick and my hair was full, my bun felt much bigger and solid. It was remarkable, it was short-lived and now I don't know how long it is gonna take to get back there. But I've got that bump too now! Everything below my shoulders is quite thin, whereas everything above that is much thicker in relation. Almost like a step in my hair.

You're welcome.

Goes to show you how different we all are. I have to wash with sulfates or my scalp goes bonkers, and I have roughly the same with sulfate-free (due to bouts of SD with shampoos like these, I shed a whole lot more).

And it is like having a "step" in your hair, isn't it? I think I got the hang of how to peacock-twist it up without pulling at it, and without it all hanging in my neck instead of being in the updo.

Also have started to use more styling product & my hair likes it! So at least it's down for an entire day and I can have a break from updos! I typically wear it down the middle, over the shoulders, this way it doesn't show that much how thin it gets.

Faedog
February 9th, 2023, 02:22 PM
I am also in the process of regaining thickness. I would say that my hair-growth journey really began this month when I began eating healthily and using edible products on my hair. Before then, I would drench it in shampoo and such, and it had been bleached a couple times, too (and I also damaged it a lot with styling), so there is a lot of tapering off around the lower midsection. I can see my roots coming in and I am so excited for them to grow all the way out.

lapushka
February 9th, 2023, 04:17 PM
I am also in the process of regaining thickness. I would say that my hair-growth journey really began this month when I began eating healthily and using edible products on my hair. Before then, I would drench it in shampoo and such, and it had been bleached a couple times, too (and I also damaged it a lot with styling), so there is a lot of tapering off around the lower midsection. I can see my roots coming in and I am so excited for them to grow all the way out.

Sounds very promising! :)

Dark40
February 9th, 2023, 08:31 PM
This is for those of us who are wanting to re-gain thickness in their hair, due to previous breakage and hair loss. Remember you can't get thicker hair, the follicles on your head are all you get. But anyway... this is to track our progress.

I am starting with a bump because that is what my hair forms when I do a peacock twist. My hair is still thick, its usual thickness at the base, but broke off somehow beyond that point. For me the culprit most likely was bunning too much & the entirely wrong way (not enough length for my circumference) and so now I cut back to bra strap and am starting all over.

Please, join!

Aww, I'm so sorry your hair has thinned out as it was getting longer or was at your passed length from too much bunning. I'm not sure if you've heard that if you're a person that prefers to wear their hair up all of the time....it's always been to switch the positions of the buns, braids, and ponytails. Because, if you were your protective styles in the same spots all of the time you will suffer a lot of hair breakage or damage from the friction of the bun, braids, and ponytails. Yes, I also think that starting over at BSL would be a nice length for you to thicken up your hemline. I wish you a lot of luck on your progress!

lapushka
February 10th, 2023, 02:37 AM
Aww, I'm so sorry your hair has thinned out as it was getting longer or was at your passed length from too much bunning. I'm not sure if you've heard that if you're a person that prefers to wear their hair up all of the time....it's always been to switch the positions of the buns, braids, and ponytails. Because, if you were your protective styles in the same spots all of the time you will suffer a lot of hair breakage or damage from the friction of the bun, braids, and ponytails. Yes, I also think that starting over at BSL would be a nice length for you to thicken up your hemline. I wish you a lot of luck on your progress!

Thank you. :)

spidermom
February 10th, 2023, 06:48 AM
A couple of days ago I was sitting in the car in the sunshine with my hair loose, and it looked like about half my ends were split, some of them so badly that they resembled feathers. I believe it was caused by the top-of-head scrunchie bun that I was doing every night for sleep. I was twisting the ends pretty tight before tucking them under the scrunchie. I immediately searched for a hair salon with good ratings on my smart phone and booked a haircut. My appointment was yesterday. I decided to go from long/layered to blunt and lost about 5 inches. I think it's going to take two more 1-inch trims to get ahead of the damage, but my hair already looks and feels so much better that I'm very happy with it. Now I have to figure out something else to do with my hair for sleep.

Right now length isn't as important to me as the condition of my ends. I'm thinking that never again am I going to try to grow my hair for long periods of time without trimming. I like the stylist I visited yesterday very much and plan to return about every 12 weeks or so for a trim. Maybe I'm not going to try for super-long lengths anymore. I've never been able to achieve it without getting a lot of spit ends.

elfynity
February 10th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Lapushka, have you cut back to BSL? I actually let my hair dry straightish today and I am literally just about touching WL - I'm not gonna lose length (over and above thickness) I'm going to maintain around WL until the thickness grows down, that step! I also wonder if most of us who have this bump problem from buns and sleeping are those of us who have finer type hair?

Spidermom, I haven't been on the forum for a while, so nice to see you 'around'! It sounds like you just need a break for a while, if you start doing loads of trims, you'll stay at shorter lengths, but you will probably thicken your hemline considerably. If you ever want to try for long again, I have a cool way of doing S&D that takes very quick - just run a lock of hair around your fingers and as you slide down your hair all the hairs pop out so you can quickly snip them.

I am so conscious now of my bunning, not to do it too tight and not to do it in the same place all the time. My hair got really thick with my current bunning, but it is still niggling me a bit, because I do the same style bun daily. I'm just not very good at picking up on doing new hair styles, I find it very challenging, so it takes a while for me to learn a new bun.

lapushka
February 10th, 2023, 06:04 PM
Lapushka, have you cut back to BSL? I actually let my hair dry straightish today and I am literally just about touching WL - I'm not gonna lose length (over and above thickness) I'm going to maintain around WL until the thickness grows down, that step! I also wonder if most of us who have this bump problem from buns and sleeping are those of us who have finer type hair?

Spidermom, I haven't been on the forum for a while, so nice to see you 'around'! It sounds like you just need a break for a while, if you start doing loads of trims, you'll stay at shorter lengths, but you will probably thicken your hemline considerably. If you ever want to try for long again, I have a cool way of doing S&D that takes very quick - just run a lock of hair around your fingers and as you slide down your hair all the hairs pop out so you can quickly snip them.

I am so conscious now of my bunning, not to do it too tight and not to do it in the same place all the time. My hair got really thick with my current bunning, but it is still niggling me a bit, because I do the same style bun daily. I'm just not very good at picking up on doing new hair styles, I find it very challenging, so it takes a while for me to learn a new bun.

I do have F hair! :) Yes I cut back to bra strap. I have a front facing picture in my album (private, but just friend me, and I'll let you in if that's not already done).

Dark40
February 11th, 2023, 07:52 PM
Thank you. :)

You're welcome. :)

Ylva
February 13th, 2023, 11:12 AM

I know right! Thank you so much, elfynity! It seemed to take an eternity in the beginning to make any progress at all, but the past year, I've largely been oblivious to how much natural hair I actually have at this point.

It's been quite shocking reading about your dramatic shed and how easily it was caused, especially as someone whose hair and scalp do so well with sulfates! I wish you a good and smooth growing-back journey, and the silver lining is certainly that you've gained valuable knowledge about your hair and scalp, and that will go a long way in the future.

Frankly, I am becoming more and more eager to cut my hair earlier than planned. Especially after my most recent accident which was getting my hair tangled around my drumstick and having to cut out the resulting tangle. I am also noticing that I get breakage from the problematic tangles in the bleached section and I'm dreading that some hairs snap at virgin length. The tangles are pretty bad no matter what products I use.

tuanyiji
February 13th, 2023, 12:14 PM
I’m in, I had a major shed in the past month, from 10.6cm set back to 9.8cm pony circumference after covid and my dad’s 6th and 7th hospitalization.
Grow grow grow!

elfynity
February 14th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Frankly, I am becoming more and more eager to cut my hair earlier than planned. Especially after my most recent accident which was getting my hair tangled around my drumstick and having to cut out the resulting tangle. I am also noticing that I get breakage from the problematic tangles in the bleached section and I'm dreading that some hairs snap at virgin length. The tangles are pretty bad no matter what products I use.
Ylva, it does sound like if you cut that damaged hair that the result would be shorter length, but your fresh ends would then grow out super healthy. It does give you alot to think about. ( whatever you decide, your hair will still be longer than mine! LOL!)

I’m in, I had a major shed in the past month, from 10.6cm set back to 9.8cm pony circumference after covid and my dad’s 6th and 7th hospitalization.
Grow grow grow!
I feel like I'm officially 'allergic' to shedding now! Just the word makes me feel nauseous!

elfynity
February 14th, 2023, 12:37 PM
I have a front facing picture in my album .

I see now, the breakage from your bunning left you with the thinning out below shoulder. But wow Lapushka, you really do have a lot of hair. I have hair envy!

rosmarinus
February 15th, 2023, 01:34 PM
I so feel you. I hope you all will regain the thickness of your hair. The most important thing to do about it is to let go of stressing or grieving about it, it is not good for you nor your hair. Accept it, try to enjoy it as much as you can, take good care of it and just.. let it grow.

I would like to have more hair at the back section.

Elfynity, I'm so sorry about that sulfate accident! That must have been shocking. :(

lapushka
February 15th, 2023, 02:27 PM
I see now, the breakage from your bunning left you with the thinning out below shoulder. But wow Lapushka, you really do have a lot of hair. I have hair envy!

That's sweet, thank you. :) You know... It's why I notice so fast when something happens to it that isn't normal. I had major hair loss age 13 during the start of puberty (with bald spots) and that took a year to start to "settle down". I had hair loss age 16/17 due to poor eating habits (verge of an ED) so I know how bad it can get. And this? I never saw it coming. I guess I was entirely blind to the situation.

But it can't but (hopefully) get better from here.

It's been 2 months, almost, since I cut my hair. I am thinking I should maintain, and cut a bit off the ends next weekend. Contemplating this.

elfynity
February 16th, 2023, 02:49 PM
lapushka, I am honestly on a bit of a rollercoaster ride with my hair, and you are so right, these hair things kind of happen with what seems like such a random incident. Everyday I find myself questioning about how long it is gonna take to get the volume back down at the ends, i wonder if I will need to do that trim back, like you are suggesting to actually really get there. It is a bit frustrating because I don't know the answer. I guess, that with time and care, we will give ourselves more options, so at least there is that. I can be certain that within at least 2 years that it will be much better, but that is a looooong time! LOL!

Ylva
February 17th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Ylva, it does sound like if you cut that damaged hair that the result would be shorter length, but your fresh ends would then grow out super healthy. It does give you alot to think about. ( whatever you decide, your hair will still be longer than mine! LOL!)

I think my new goal is to just make it to St. Patrick’s Day and then anything beyond that is just a plus. :D I have to admit I’m very excited about having shorter hair again!

Bri-Chan
February 17th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Ylva, the more the cut is mentioned, the more I'm tempted too. Lately, I've found some of my hair photos from the first half of last year, and my ends looked so much nicer than now. I wonder if it's 'only' because of the shed I had ... I mean, almost 1 cm of difference. Or if my bleached ends cant take it anymore, or maybe my terminal length to be much closer now than before (I think it's in the mid-thigh - knee range). Or all these things together.
I'm at what was my goal length for years, I'm here for a few months but it's not what I had in mind when I decided to go for it. I don't want length only, I want quality too. So I don't know, I'm very confused.

Darian Moone
February 17th, 2023, 05:20 PM
I just cut from mid-back to just barely hitting BSL to get rid of damage. I feel into bad habits and treated my hair roughly since 2020, and it's long past time that I changed that. It looks much better, but I still have some damage to deal with, but I don't want my hair any shorter than this so I'm returning to 'cones, and reminding myself to treat my hair like antique lace. It's been a long time. I so regret neglecting my hair! It does look much better now though, and I intend on maintaining this length to get rid of the last bit of damage, then grow again to waist, which is my new goal length.

Ylva
February 18th, 2023, 03:11 AM
Ylva, the more the cut is mentioned, the more I'm tempted too. Lately, I've found some of my hair photos from the first half of last year, and my ends looked so much nicer than now. I wonder if it's 'only' because of the shed I had ... I mean, almost 1 cm of difference. Or if my bleached ends cant take it anymore, or maybe my terminal length to be much closer now than before (I think it's in the mid-thigh - knee range). Or all these things together.
I'm at what was my goal length for years, I'm here for a few months but it's not what I had in mind when I decided to go for it. I don't want length only, I want quality too. So I don't know, I'm very confused.

I don't think you should even be thinking about terminal length at this point. With bleached hair, it would most certainly be a false terminal anyway.

I keep looking at pictures from my early 20s when my hair was hip-BCL and quite healthy. I was still doing something to it maybe once a year like getting highlights or something. I remember that every once in a while, usually in the spring or summer, I would kind of "wake up" and feel like freshening up my hair somehow so I would usually go for highlights. I always loved that look on myself as long as the contrast between the highlights and my natural hair wasn't too big. I may still go back to that look one day, but first, I want to experience fully natural hair after so long. I've not had all-natural hair in nearly 20 years!!!

lapushka
February 18th, 2023, 03:55 AM
I still have the "bump" in back when doing a peacock twist (of course I do, this is going to take years). Sometimes it's more apparent than other times, but I wonder what that is going to be like in summer. May have to pin it to my head then, because now in winter it's like a comforting blanket (lol) but I don't see that happening in spring/summer.

Lady Stardust
February 18th, 2023, 05:29 AM
I still have the "bump" in back when doing a peacock twist (of course I do, this is going to take years). Sometimes it's more apparent than other times, but I wonder what that is going to be like in summer. May have to pin it to my head then, because now in winter it's like a comforting blanket (lol) but I don't see that happening in spring/summer.

Is it the nape hair that is shorter then? Nape hair is such a pain!!

I’be been thinking about this thread and for me, I don’t think I have a “bump” to grow out. My hair has just thinned all over, there isn’t a point at which it tapers. I’m not sure whether I will ever regain the thickness.

On the plus side, it means there’s no point in me cutting back, because my hair will have the same density but would just be shorter! I might as well keep the length and continue to maintain for a while so I’m giving it a chance to thicken up, at least.

lapushka
February 18th, 2023, 07:07 AM
Lady Stardust, it is in part nape hair, but my "bump" is layered like a pixie would be, well almost. Up top it is quite short. All the hair that still got into a bun (and I wore one up high) is iii, 4+ inches, and about an inch to 2 inches beyond that part, the breakage starts and it quite heftily starts (thickness of 2 sharpies combined). So a loose peacock, you can imagine how much fun that is. :rolleyes: :lol:

Lady Stardust
February 18th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Lady Stardust, it is in part nape hair, but my "bump" is layered like a pixie would be, well almost. Up top it is quite short. All the hair that still got into a bun (and I wore one up high) is iii, 4+ inches, and about an inch to 2 inches beyond that part, the breakage starts and it quite heftily starts (thickness of 2 sharpies combined). So a loose peacock, you can imagine how much fun that is. :rolleyes: :lol:

Ah I understand what you mean about being layered like a pixie! I grew out a pixie cut and those layers are still vividly in my mind!

Did you twist your hair when you made a bun or was the breakage from pulling it too tight? I’m just hoping that a peacock twist won’t put the same kind of pressure on your hair, but I know you said you’re doing it loosely so hopefully it’s not creating any strain. It’s something I used to worry about a bit when I did a peacock twist because I was twisting in the same place every day. I certainly did my twists loosely because I had a head injury at the time and loose was all I could stand. Despite my worries, I don’t remember seeing breakage from the twist.

You know your own hair and methods best, obviously!

lapushka
February 18th, 2023, 05:01 PM
Ah I understand what you mean about being layered like a pixie! I grew out a pixie cut and those layers are still vividly in my mind!

Did you twist your hair when you made a bun or was the breakage from pulling it too tight? I’m just hoping that a peacock twist won’t put the same kind of pressure on your hair, but I know you said you’re doing it loosely so hopefully it’s not creating any strain. It’s something I used to worry about a bit when I did a peacock twist because I was twisting in the same place every day. I certainly did my twists loosely because I had a head injury at the time and loose was all I could stand. Despite my worries, I don’t remember seeing breakage from the twist.

You know your own hair and methods best, obviously!

I made a Nautilus every time so it was nice and loose up to the loop and heavy twisting part... quite loose up to some part, which explains fully why I have this breakage 1/2 inches past the part where I would normally ponytail (I never ponytailed, but you get the idea). I don't think a Nautilus is the bun for me. I never had issues as long as I did a lazy wrap, at least I don't remember that being problematic. And I wore a peacock later log roll until I was hip length in my growth journey, and that never was an issue either.

elfynity
February 19th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Ylva, I am excited to see your hair after the trim, it just means more of the natural and I am sure your hemline is going to be AMAZING after a trim. I mean, you've come so far already with your hemline. I love your natural colour, please do grow it out for a bit so we can see more of it!

Lapushka, I don't know what the name is of the bun I do, it is like the lazy wrap bun, but I do it differently to the way they do, for starters, I go anti clockwise - but the bottom line is, I have had no issues with my bunning and breakage at all. I see that the nautilus has a heavy loop and twist! Who knew, not all buns are protecting your hair!

So, I have worked out from past photos that my growth rate is on average just a little under half an inch a month (0.4 inches). I do seem to have growth spurt months where it seems to grow just over a half inch, usually over winter time (for some odd reason).

My bump is like a v shape, so lower at the back of my head, about APL and then between SL and even chin towards the edges - I wonder if this is how hair grows naturally? The last about 6 or 7 inches seem to be lost in a lonely sparse world of their own - in perfect health, but just quite thinned out compared to what's coming from above. I tried a pony tail and it looks ridiculous, normal thickness for a few inches and then this tapered rats tail to finish - just no!

lapushka
February 19th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Ylva, I am excited to see your hair after the trim, it just means more of the natural and I am sure your hemline is going to be AMAZING after a trim. I mean, you've come so far already with your hemline. I love your natural colour, please do grow it out for a bit so we can see more of it!

Lapushka, I don't know what the name is of the bun I do, it is like the lazy wrap bun, but I do it differently to the way they do, for starters, I go anti clockwise - but the bottom line is, I have had no issues with my bunning and breakage at all. I see that the nautilus has a heavy loop and twist! Who knew, not all buns are protecting your hair!

So, I have worked out from past photos that my growth rate is on average just a little under half an inch a month (0.4 inches). I do seem to have growth spurt months where it seems to grow just over a half inch, usually over winter time (for some odd reason).

My bump is like a v shape, so lower at the back of my head, about APL and then between SL and even chin towards the edges - I wonder if this is how hair grows naturally? The last about 6 or 7 inches seem to be lost in a lonely sparse world of their own - in perfect health, but just quite thinned out compared to what's coming from above. I tried a pony tail and it looks ridiculous, normal thickness for a few inches and then this tapered rats tail to finish - just no!

Yep, the Nautilus (my fault for not changing it up) has a heavy twist going on. You make that loop and then you just twist, and I twisted... rather tightly; but who thought it would do me in?

Pointer, whatever bun you do, do not think your midlengths and ends are protected if you twist it rather snugly... :( Darn it.
I can kick myself. But it's my fault.

V shapes can be pretty. Maybe cut it into one? Or would that make your hair altogether too short? I have a V in my signature. Would *not* recommend the method I did to hair that is APL, because heavy layers come with it. But!

Feye's self-trimming method has instructions for V-shapes. Might be worth it to read up on her blog some (not layered method).

elfynity
February 19th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Lapushka, I hear what you are saying about V-shapes and I know there are people there that just love it, but just not me. But no one is seeing my hair at all now anyway, except me as I literally have it in a protective style all day and night. If I had to go to a wedding, I would find a nice upstyle to wear it in, I just have to do this, at least for this year, this year I am determined to get my 5 inches by christmas!

meovvmeow
February 20th, 2023, 07:50 AM
OMG the BUMP. This happened to me too (probably also from bunning too tight bc I didnt know how to use hairforks properly) and I had no idea why my hair was randomly wavy in a bump below my ears but this makes sense lol. I cut my hair recently above shoulder though! I love it for now and I'm excited to start over.

lapushka
February 20th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Lapushka, I hear what you are saying about V-shapes and I know there are people there that just love it, but just not me. But no one is seeing my hair at all now anyway, except me as I literally have it in a protective style all day and night. If I had to go to a wedding, I would find a nice upstyle to wear it in, I just have to do this, at least for this year, this year I am determined to get my 5 inches by christmas!

You go girl! :D I'm not gonna stop you. ;)

lapushka
February 20th, 2023, 10:01 AM
I maintained.

In the maintenance thread is the full story. Long story short, I cut an inch off the sides (side ponytail layers) and then an inch with Feye's from the back. It had been since Friday December 30th, so almost 2 months' growth. I know I cut a lot off. It is now top of the bra band.

elfynity
March 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM
That's good news Lapushka, how are you coping with the shorter length?

I have finally figured out that my bump ends at shoulder length, so that is a long way to go for these new hairs to reach MBL. But, I may as well enjoy the journey. My hair is nearly at WL now, but just not with the thickness it should have been. Oh well, I've basically accepted it now and it isn't so frustrating anymore, just keep going.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2023, 04:46 PM
That's good news Lapushka, how are you coping with the shorter length?

I have finally figured out that my bump ends at shoulder length, so that is a long way to go for these new hairs to reach MBL. But, I may as well enjoy the journey. My hair is nearly at WL now, but just not with the thickness it should have been. Oh well, I've basically accepted it now and it isn't so frustrating anymore, just keep going.

I can deal with bra strap (pretty well, actually), but the shortness of the thick part (yeah not even APL), I am gonna need looots of patience here.

Ylva
March 3rd, 2023, 04:02 AM

You are too kind! :heart: It always means SO MUCH to me when someone compliments my natural colour - it gets so much shade in this part of the world!