PDA

View Full Version : Hair oiling and conditioner bars

Kaya
February 5th, 2023, 04:33 PM
As the title might suggest, I'm curious about whether a conditioner bar can be used to wash out oil.

I oil my hair regularly and use inexpensive Suave conditioner to wash it out - I apply it directly to dry hair and never have any issues with lingering oiliness.

So, I do tend to go through a decent amount of conditioner, and I would like to try and cut down on my plastic waste. I'm wondering if a conditioner bar could be applied similarly to oiled hair without getting wet first. I figure the bar would need to be wet first, but would it work?

Anyone who has tried/experienced it? Thanks in advance for any replies! :flower:

KokoroDragon
February 5th, 2023, 10:34 PM
I've used a conditioner bar in the past, but not to wash out oil. I'm not sure how well it would work on dry hair. The conditioner bar I used also felt a lot different from liquid conditioner and didn't provide the same level of slip. I'm not sure if that would make a difference for washing out oil though.

rosenester
February 6th, 2023, 10:54 AM
A few thoughts… my conditioner bar experience with 4 different brands: they all needed my hair to be soaking wet and the bar wet. Second, some of them are heavier than others made primarily of oils and butters, and may not work for removing oil. There are many different kinds, so I think a lighter conditioner bar may work for your purposes. The bars last a long time, and have helped me significantly decrease the amount of conditioner bottles I go through!

finn
February 6th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Conditioner bars can definitely work to wash out oil, but it might be tricky getting it distributed on dry hair even if you wet the bar. I use conditioner bars and I don't normally oil my hair very heavily or use conditioner on dry hair but I might experiment this weekend out of curiosity. I have a conditioner bar from Ethique that's lightweight and somewhat cleansing so it's a good candidate.

If you want to reduce plastic waste but bars don't work well with your routine, Ethique also has conditioner and shampoo concentrate that you mix up and put in a bottle you already have. I haven't tried these yet and they're more expensive than bars, but I have liked everything I've tried from the brand.