PDA

View Full Version : Gray patches on individual!! non-gray hair?

mochichichi
February 2nd, 2023, 09:51 AM
Last night I noticed what looked like a gray hair. So I separated it out to have a look and only the bottom six inches or so are silver. The rest of it (some two feet) all the way up to my scalp is my normal hair color (dark brown almost black).

I started looking at the rest of my hair more closely and noticed that quite a bit of it actually has small (.5 inch or less) gray/white bits scattered randomly along the shaft. Neither of my parents have gone gray yet so I'm not expecting to any time soon (though I guess it could happen).

Anyone else get these funny little patches? Multicolored hair on the same strand? I don't feel like I need to be worried but if I should please let me know!

lapushka
February 2nd, 2023, 09:56 AM
Never had it happen to me, and that is the first that I heard of this; so strange. :) But fun, I bet! :D

mochichichi
February 2nd, 2023, 10:00 AM
Never had it happen to me, and that is the first that I heard of this; so strange. :) But fun, I bet! :D

Yes I'm kind of bewildered, I didn't know this could happen. I wonder if it makes my hair look shinier from distance lol

lapis_lazuli
February 2nd, 2023, 10:21 AM
I actually have heard about this before from members here, like the hair's pigment is turning on and off. Can only speculate as to why, like it's taking time for the strand to permanently grey, or the colour can sometimes come back if a stressor on the body is resolved. Very interesting regardless!

mochichichi
February 2nd, 2023, 10:44 AM
I actually have heard about this before from members here, like the hair's pigment is turning on and off. Can only speculate as to why, like it's taking time for the strand to permanently grey, or the colour can sometimes come back if a stressor on the body is resolved. Very interesting regardless!

This is another one I considered! I've had some on/off extremes of stress and massive health fluctuations over the years I've been growing my hair out. I'm not noticing decreased shedding coming out of the latest bought, but I wonder if the gray patches are reflecting periods of difficulty and they're just uneven because of different growing rates.

AmaryllisRed
February 2nd, 2023, 11:21 AM
I have striped strands. It's pretty neat! In my case, it's probably from stress.

Garnetgem
February 2nd, 2023, 05:05 PM
I have experienced this like i saw a striped strand only the other day had it in the past too but been through times of stress so i am assuming its down to that, its like the hair is going gray then changes its mind.

Lady Stardust
February 3rd, 2023, 04:34 AM
I’ve heard about this happening before. Can some medication affect pigment? I can easily believe that it’s caused by stress. I’m glad the stress has lessened for you :flower:

It reminds me of cat fur, my cats had stripy strands and their whiskers would grow in randomly :) Most whiskers would be solidly black or solidly white but the occasional whisker might be black from the root and white at the tip or vice versa.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2023, 04:40 AM
It's so unique, though! I mean, not everyone has this, right. It's rare. I would show it off majorly; and gray (you have to be for it) IMHO is so pretty.

mochichichi
February 3rd, 2023, 08:31 AM
Interesting others have seen this! I do like them, I think they're interesting.

I'm actually looking forward to someday having all gray hair--I think it looks frickin sick. But right now I'm quite enjoying my dark hair.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2023, 09:35 AM
I am going gray as well, slowly though. It's still just a sprinkling throughout, mostly. It is more apparent if I wear it up and pull it back. :) I think of it this way, my hair is still say, 95% dark, so. You gotta see it in percentages, mochichichi, if you go prematurely gray and don't like it, that helps in not coloring it straight away, the way you think about it. Percentages really help, and some good old-fashioned realism. :)

mochichichi
February 3rd, 2023, 10:16 AM
I am going gray as well, slowly though. It's still just a sprinkling throughout, mostly. It is more apparent if I wear it up and pull it back. :) I think of it this way, my hair is still say, 95% dark, so. You gotta see it in percentages, mochichichi, if you go prematurely gray and don't like it, that helps in not coloring it straight away, the way you think about it. Percentages really help, and some good old-fashioned realism. :)

Haha fair enough. I guess the following years will tell :)

MusicalSpoons
February 3rd, 2023, 09:26 PM
I did see a post of someone's 'covid stripe', maybe about half an inch in their hair. I'll see if I can find it … https://imgur.com/gallery/fLdOrQk

lapis_lazuli
February 3rd, 2023, 09:45 PM
I did see a post of someone's 'covid stripe', maybe about half an inch in their hair. I'll see if I can find it … https://imgur.com/gallery/fLdOrQk

WOW, it's so pronounced! That is fascinating and a testament to the effects stress can have on our hair.

SandyBottom
February 3rd, 2023, 10:04 PM

I hadn't heard of this! Thanks for posting.

mochichichi
February 4th, 2023, 12:42 AM

Wow. Thanks for sharing!!

foreveryours
February 4th, 2023, 01:47 AM

That's very interesting!

lapushka
February 4th, 2023, 10:07 AM
That is so strange, kind of like the rings in a tree, if you think about it. With that comparison it sort of makes sense. :)