PDA

View Full Version : Shamelessly celebrating 1 year on LHC!!!

Abacus
February 1st, 2023, 06:59 AM
Hi friends! I made it a year and didn't cut my hair and it's all thanks to YOU! It's been such a fun time, I have learned so much from being here, and just being inspired by everyone daily has been absolutely wonderful. I am forever glad that I joined here a year ago and get to do deep dives into this archive of hair wisdom.

So as many of you know, I used to have short hair for over a decade (pixie and buzzcuts), and I loved that style a lot. But I have also always wanted SUPER LONG hair. And I avoided trying for it for a long time because I just couldn't fathom slogging through the many necessary years of growing it before it was truly super long. It was only when I started lurking around here that I realized hair could be a hobby, that you can celebrate milestones with other people, and that hair care could be at the center of a cozy little self-care practice. My relationship to my hair has changed a lot -- it has honestly become less about how I look, and much more about how I feel when I take care of it. Is it soft? Is it happy? Am I nourishing myself properly? Have I taken the time today to slow down and take care of this aspect of myself that I love so dearly?

And, bonus, I like how it's looking too.

In short, thank you, and here's to many more years! Because I will indeed need many more years before I ever reach my goal length!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48366&d=1675259843
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48367&d=1675259855

Bat
February 1st, 2023, 07:12 AM
We are lucky to have you here! Many wishes that you get to realise all your hair goals congrats on one year!

momof3mary
February 1st, 2023, 07:17 AM
Congratulations Abacus!! I'm glad you're staying, following your journey is inspiring to me and your hair is beautiful! You've had quite a bit of growth!

embee
February 1st, 2023, 07:20 AM
Wow, it has grown a lot! And your growth will be harder to see with all those curls. So Congrats to you! :)

GoatLady
February 1st, 2023, 08:25 AM
Your hair is looking fabulous. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!

elfynity
February 1st, 2023, 08:29 AM
... hair care could be at the center of a cozy little self-care practice ...

I love this - Everyday is a spa day! Abacus, I honestly can't wait to see you with even longer hair, your hair growth in one year is quite amazing!

vampyyri
February 1st, 2023, 08:53 AM
That is some amazing progress, congrats! :joy:

lapushka
February 1st, 2023, 09:03 AM
I love it! So wild & gorgeous. I love that!!! :D
Congratulations on sticking it out a year; to many more. :toast:

BVU
February 1st, 2023, 09:20 AM
Congrats on 1 year! :beerchug: I always love seeing your hair <3

paulownia
February 1st, 2023, 10:22 AM
Congrats on hair anniversary ;). Great progress and your coils are just gorgeous :blossom:

angel-baby
February 1st, 2023, 11:05 AM
Congrats on one year!! I love how much you're enjoying the grow-out process

thatsideoflife
February 1st, 2023, 12:15 PM
Ok wow, it looks awesome! And way healthier than before IMO.

mermaid lullaby
February 1st, 2023, 12:35 PM
Wow! That is some hair growth!

neko_kawaii
February 1st, 2023, 12:40 PM
*squee* Congrats!

SandyBottom
February 1st, 2023, 01:37 PM
It's grown so much and those crazy curls look great! Congratulations on 1 year! Hope you hang around for many more.

Ada-banana
February 1st, 2023, 01:54 PM
Wow your hair is beautiful!! Love your curls

lapis_lazuli
February 1st, 2023, 03:21 PM
Congratulations! :cake: Your dedication is wonderful :)

pumpkinsage
February 1st, 2023, 03:42 PM
Your curls!!! They look amazing, congrats on 1 year!! :cheer:

KokoroDragon
February 1st, 2023, 11:46 PM
Congrats! Your hair looks amazing, and it's growing so fast! My jaw honestly dropped when I scrolled down to see the second picture. :agape:

shelomit
February 2nd, 2023, 11:41 AM
Woo-hoo! Looking great, Abacus!

lapushka
February 3rd, 2023, 10:31 AM
Abacus, please please don't take this the wrong way, but to me it's revolutionary that you *dare* wear it fluffy. It seems like tightly coily hair always "needs to be" firmly groomed into place, and I often go, "but why". I myself wear my (pitifully wavy LOL) hair when it's wild and full of fluff, I don't mist it with water, I don't reform the waves, I go with it. And I love that about you, that carelessness (in a good way). I mean, I hope my ramblings make some sort of weird sense, in any case, know that I did not mean to offend, I meant this all in a very good way. Yeah, I just love your hair. And imagine what it's gonna look like in a year! I look forward to that journey with you.

Abacus
February 3rd, 2023, 03:47 PM
Abacus, please please don't take this the wrong way, but to me it's revolutionary that you *dare* wear it fluffy. It seems like tightly coily hair always "needs to be" firmly groomed into place, and I often go, "but why". I myself wear my (pitifully wavy LOL) hair when it's wild and full of fluff, I don't mist it with water, I don't reform the waves, I go with it. And I love that about you, that carelessness (in a good way). I mean, I hope my ramblings make some sort of weird sense, in any case, know that I did not mean to offend, I meant this all in a very good way. Yeah, I just love your hair. And imagine what it's gonna look like in a year! I look forward to that journey with you.

No offense taken at all! I know exactly what you mean. I think there is a lot of pressure on curly haired people to define their curls or somehow "tame" their hair. I think a lot of the curly girl and also the natural hair movement has traditionally put a lot of emphasis on that. I think there is a sense that undefined curls are a sign that you don't know how to take care of your hair, and it was a point of pain for a lot of people that they grew up getting made fun of for their hair texture or feeling like it wasn't as desirable or beautiful as straight hair. So the curly hair movements were all about learning to "take care of your hair", and that meant taming it and making sleek curls.

I'm not interested in that anymore! I used to be pretty preoccupied with it, and I thought doing the million products and gels and everything was good haircare for me. I'm on a different kick now, and good haircare for me now feels like being very minimalistic and extremely gentle with my hair. Usually I have it up, and so right now its natural texture is more stretched and fluffy. And I honestly have grown a huge appreciation for undefined curls of all textures and types. When I see people out in the world with soft clouds of hair, I feel a lot of love for that look.

lapushka
February 3rd, 2023, 03:53 PM
No offense taken at all! I know exactly what you mean. I think there is a lot of pressure on curly haired people to define their curls or somehow "tame" their hair. I think a lot of the curly girl and also the natural hair movement has traditionally put a lot of emphasis on that. I think there is a sense that undefined curls are a sign that you don't know how to take care of your hair, and it was a point of pain for a lot of people that they grew up getting made fun of for their hair texture or feeling like it wasn't as desirable or beautiful as straight hair. So the curly hair movements were all about learning to "take care of your hair", and that meant taming it and making sleek curls.

I'm not interested in that anymore! I used to be pretty preoccupied with it, and I thought doing the million products and gels and everything was good haircare for me. I'm on a different kick now, and good haircare for me now feels like being very minimalistic and extremely gentle with my hair. Usually I have it up, and so right now its natural texture is more stretched and fluffy. And I honestly have grown a huge appreciation for undefined curls of all textures and types. When I see people out in the world with soft clouds of hair, I feel a lot of love for that look.

Yeah it's pretty! :D

Makes me feel a whole lot better about the fact that my waves sag throughout the week (and I leave it be). Sometimes I get the remark that it looks like I didn't want to brush it (yeah, those comments), or forgot to (even worse). Off a duck's back. :)

baanoo
February 4th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Abacus I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - you truly have had the most fabulous grow-out from a pixie I have ever seen. Cheers to your first year!

Brandt
February 5th, 2023, 01:09 AM
Hi friends! I made it a year and didn't cut my hair and it's all thanks to YOU! It's been such a fun time, I have learned so much from being here, and just being inspired by everyone daily has been absolutely wonderful. I am forever glad that I joined here a year ago and get to do deep dives into this archive of hair wisdom.

So as many of you know, I used to have short hair for over a decade (pixie and buzzcuts), and I loved that style a lot. But I have also always wanted SUPER LONG hair. And I avoided trying for it for a long time because I just couldn't fathom slogging through the many necessary years of growing it before it was truly super long. It was only when I started lurking around here that I realized hair could be a hobby, that you can celebrate milestones with other people, and that hair care could be at the center of a cozy little self-care practice. My relationship to my hair has changed a lot -- it has honestly become less about how I look, and much more about how I feel when I take care of it. Is it soft? Is it happy? Am I nourishing myself properly? Have I taken the time today to slow down and take care of this aspect of myself that I love so dearly?

And, bonus, I like how it's looking too.

In short, thank you, and here's to many more years! Because I will indeed need many more years before I ever reach my goal length!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48366&d=1675259843
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48367&d=1675259855

Yep--it's about a year since I joined as well. Great job with your hair--and of course a huge amount of volume. It'll be neat to see your progress in another year, two years, etc.

Stray_mind
February 8th, 2023, 06:16 AM
Wow! Your hair looks great! Congratulations.