PDA

View Full Version : Winter hair woes

Myx
January 31st, 2023, 09:31 AM
Sooo...I work outside, all year long and live in a place that gets full winter; snow, sub-zero temps, the whole caboodle. Having never really tried to grow out my hair before, this is my first winter of really trying my best to take care of my locks and I've run across a few problems. Over the summer and fall, everything was going great, I had a routine down that was working really well thanks to all the wonderful advice I've found here! But winter....ugh....I'm at a loss. I do keep my hair up in buns with spin-pins all the time at work but I'm finding more damage, especially split ends. My regular conditioning routine (shampoo twice, condition, leave-in conditioner, almond oil on the ends) doesn't seem to be quite enough to fully combat the winter dryness. I guess I'm looking for a deep-conditioner or hair mask that's good for fine, thin hair and don't really know where to start? Help? :justy: Also I figure I'm probably getting some extra damage from my winter hats...From constantly going in and outside, it goes on and off so many times a day, and knit can be rough on hair I'd think? Long story short, what extra care do you do in the winter to help keep damage to a minimum?

Linden
January 31st, 2023, 10:08 AM
Cold winters can really be rough for us long hairs. I agree that hats can be a source of damage. If I'm planning to wear a toque or beanie for the whole day, then I will wrap my hair in a silk scarf before putting the hat on. (It doesn't show, and just provides a barrier between hair and the rough knit. I've been working on adding a silk lining to some of my favourite hats to make it easier, but that's still a work in progress.

I'm sure there are others here who can give better advice on hair masks and treatments than I can, but I hope you find a routine that works for you!

SandyBottom
January 31st, 2023, 01:36 PM
I have fine average hair with low porosity. To help combat dryness, especially on my ends, I mist my hair before using a bit of conditioner as a leave-in, which really helps. I've just started using a heat cap this month and am just sort of experimenting to see how different things work. An SMT with it was amazing! I have a balaclava that is very versatile and I can wear a satin bonnet underneath without it showing. Both things accommodate a bun. This keeps my hair protected and I can even wear my hair loose but contained inside the bonnet if I want. No static, knots or cold head. Good luck, stay warm!

KokoroDragon
January 31st, 2023, 02:14 PM
Have you tried a pre-wash oil? I find that heavily oiling my hair about 30 minutes to an hour before I wash and then using shampoo on the whole length to wash it out works really well as a conditioning treatment.

Another thing you could try is putting conditioner on your length/ends before shampooing and then another round of conditioner after (CWC).

As for hats, depending on where in the world you live you may be able to find satin-lined beanies. I know there's a lot of black-owned businesses on Etsy that make them.

Good luck, winter can be tough!

lapis_lazuli
January 31st, 2023, 05:42 PM
Static is my biggest annoyance in the winter, but my hair never feels dry really. It's almost always in a bun though, even while I'm sleeping, and so it doesn't get a lot of exposure to the air, which probably helps.

I'd avoid knitted hats directly over your hair; the friction could be causing splits. I use a fleece headband, but if you want full coverage, go for a satin-lined one.

Myx
February 2nd, 2023, 06:39 PM
I have fine average hair with low porosity. To help combat dryness, especially on my ends, I mist my hair before using a bit of conditioner as a leave-in, which really helps. I've just started using a heat cap this month and am just sort of experimenting to see how different things work. An SMT with it was amazing!

In better weather I usually only have to use a leave-in right after shampooing, I'll give misting and adding more leave-in between washes a shot! A heat cap sounds heavenly, but I'm curious, what is an SMT?

Have you tried a pre-wash oil? I find that heavily oiling my hair about 30 minutes to an hour before I wash and then using shampoo on the whole length to wash it out works really well as a conditioning treatment.

Another thing you could try is putting conditioner on your length/ends before shampooing and then another round of conditioner after (CWC).

As for hats, depending on where in the world you live you may be able to find satin-lined beanies. I know there's a lot of black-owned businesses on Etsy that make them.

Good luck, winter can be tough!

Winter is indeed just Ugh! :lol: I've never tried oiling my ends before shampooing aside from a full-head oil treatment ages ago (my scalp was not happy) or CWC, I've got oodles of both so I'll give it a shot. The rest of the year my hair is relatively low maintenance to keep happy, but winter is a complete turnaround! I did just pick up a satin-lined beanie today and so far I like it, hopefully it helps. I take my hat on and off probably 10 times a day at work at least, so it certainly can't hurt!

Static is my biggest annoyance in the winter, but my hair never feels dry really. It's almost always in a bun though, even while I'm sleeping, and so it doesn't get a lot of exposure to the air, which probably helps.

I'd avoid knitted hats directly over your hair; the friction could be causing splits. I use a fleece headband, but if you want full coverage, go for a satin-lined one.

I don't often get much static unless it's an extremely dry, bitter cold day thankfully. At work my hair is constantly in a little twisty bun with spin pins, but at home I tend to leave it down and pulled to the front so I don't lean back on it when sitting. I'm at that awkward change of lengths where my old favorite buns don't quite work right anymore, and I'm just a smidge too short for some of the more interesting ones, I juuuust passed BSL, barely (but hey, that's about 5 inches from when I joined LHC!). Maybe I'll try keeping it bunned more often at home, and be a bit heavier handed with oil on my ends and see if it helps, I've got a bunch of sticks and forks that are craving attention. :eek:

Thank you all for the great advice, I (and my poor splitting ends!) really appreciate it!

GoatLady
February 3rd, 2023, 08:13 AM
My hair seems to do well in the winter, but I do find that it feels a bit dry. I am adding more leave-in conditioner to the lengths and oil to the ends at night before I braid. That seems to help.

SandyBottom
February 3rd, 2023, 12:36 PM
In better weather I usually only have to use a leave-in right after shampooing, I'll give misting and adding more leave-in between washes a shot! A heat cap sounds heavenly, but I'm curious, what is an SMT?

It stands for "Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment". Here's a thread on it:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Myx
February 5th, 2023, 10:53 AM
It stands for "Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment". Here's a thread on it:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Ooh, that looks fascinating, I can't wait to try it! Thank you so much!

clairenewcastle
February 5th, 2023, 02:08 PM
It may sound obvious but never go outside in winter if your hair is even slightly damp. I did once. Never again. I ended up with hair that felt even more dry than usual.

Wearing a wool hat causes static.

Central heating dries out the air and hair.

My hair hates winter.

LadyLongLocks
February 5th, 2023, 05:07 PM
Brutal winters where I live too. I sleep with hair covered with 2 bandanas and a humidifier on all night. I also am washing my hair more often and using a nice deep conditioner and only rinsing 30 seconds (L'OREAL Elvive total repair 5-yellow tub OR Loreal Natures Therapy mega moisture) :heartbeat PICTURE HERE (https://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/files/HAIR_CARE_2010_beyond/cond_photo_2023_LOreal_fbpic.jpg) of the elvive and my hair after.
I now wash every 5 days instead of 7-10 days to put the moisture back in or wash as needed!
If you wear a hat, put a bandanna on or a silk sleep cap as a barrier.
I ALWAYS wear my hair up and never loose.
I am a fan of coconut oil mid length and ends, but find I dont need it much after the nice deep conditioners mentioned above.

Myx
February 6th, 2023, 08:34 PM
So much great advice here, thank you all so very much!