PDA

View Full Version : Craving for a change but still wanna keep my long hair

valkyrie90
January 10th, 2023, 12:38 AM
Soooo I'm finally at the stage where I kinda get bored with my hair and want a change. I want to fresh it up but not ready to loose more than 3 inches. And no layers either. I'm thinking perm but the stylist said I would have to cut to hip if I want perm. Nope. Not possible. So I'm thinking bang or fringes or whatever to cover my large forhead. Any better idea guys? I also wanna keep my natural color.

PeonyBlue
January 10th, 2023, 02:08 AM
I get that way now and then. Mostly I try new ways of styling it - different updos and silhouettes - until the urge passes. This summer it was just a semi-permanent over my greys as a way of changing it up. It doesn’t completely satisfy the urge for change, but it gets me through until I get too busy to do anything about it. :rolleyes:

Aerya
January 10th, 2023, 02:33 AM
Some sort of fringe or face framing layers, maybe? Curtain bangs are super trendy at the moment and as long as they’re not too thick, they just grow out into face framing layers too. Depending on your texture it might require styling to look good, so that should be taken into consideration.

Or maybe a stripe in a fun color? That looks super cool in updos, and if it’s just a strategically placed stripe it is easily hidden, too.

tuanyiji
January 10th, 2023, 05:15 AM
What's your current length and what's your usual hairstyle?
Are you into bunning or braiding? I find exploring hairdressing techniques very addictive and every day I have a new hairdo, even if it is just a variation of the previous bun/braid. This way I always keep things fresh and look forward to my new styles with my ever-growing long hair.
As for the fringe/bangs, I'd say be very cautious when you make that kind of commitment because bangs need constant maintenance. Maybe you can buy a cheap fringe hairpiece and try it on yourself to see if it really suits you, and you don't have to do the regular trims.

lapushka
January 10th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Soooo I'm finally at the stage where I kinda get bored with my hair and want a change. I want to fresh it up but not ready to loose more than 3 inches. And no layers either. I'm thinking perm but the stylist said I would have to cut to hip if I want perm. Nope. Not possible. So I'm thinking bang or fringes or whatever to cover my large forhead. Any better idea guys? I also wanna keep my natural color.

Do a small trim. You'll feel better with the fresh ends and that usually does it without a major overhaul.

It would probably have to be a spiral perm anyway, because a regular one probably won't take due to the length they have to process. It's different in how they roll the hair up, but they have to have the "curlers" for it. ETA/ How do I know. I once had hip length hair permed.

GoatLady
January 10th, 2023, 07:45 AM
Oh man. I feel for you. If it were me, I'd go for the bangs. I'd avoid anything that could potentially cause damage that I'd regret. No Bleach. No perm. Maybe explore different protective styles? Or buy some super cool hair toys? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Deborah
January 10th, 2023, 12:24 PM
I would trim three inches off the bottom and call it good. Your hair will feel lighter and fresher.

valkyrie90
January 12th, 2023, 03:57 AM
Do a small trim. You'll feel better with the fresh ends and that usually does it without a major overhaul.

It would probably have to be a spiral perm anyway, because a regular one probably won't take due to the length they have to process. It's different in how they roll the hair up, but they have to have the "curlers" for it. ETA/ How do I know. I once had hip length hair permed.

They said they don't have the right tool to do perm on my over classic hair so the maxium length will be hip. It's not worth it. I'm thinking 3 inches trim and a bang. Not sure about bang tho

What's your current length and what's your usual hairstyle?
Are you into bunning or braiding? I find exploring hairdressing techniques very addictive and every day I have a new hairdo, even if it is just a variation of the previous bun/braid. This way I always keep things fresh and look forward to my new styles with my ever-growing long hair.
As for the fringe/bangs, I'd say be very cautious when you make that kind of commitment because bangs need constant maintenance. Maybe you can buy a cheap fringe hairpiece and try it on yourself to see if it really suits you, and you don't have to do the regular trims.

my hair is longer than classics but not yet thigh I guess. I'm on a wheelchair so I can't stand to measure. My hair is on a lazy wrap bun most of time. Sometimes my friend help braid my hair and it's fun but my hands are not skillful enough for complicated hairstyles. I'm thinking a trim and cute bang but I'm not gonna maintain the bang. Just keep it until it grows out and call it a day. I checked your Youtube channel out and gave you a sub. Good job!

Some sort of fringe or face framing layers, maybe? Curtain bangs are super trendy at the moment and as long as they’re not too thick, they just grow out into face framing layers too. Depending on your texture it might require styling to look good, so that should be taken into consideration.

Or maybe a stripe in a fun color? That looks super cool in updos, and if it’s just a strategically placed stripe it is easily hidden, too.

I absolutely adore this peekaboo highlight style but it requires bleaching so definitely a no. I'm considering cute bang and trimming 3 inches of my end.

https://i.imgur.com/kiShYIO.jpg

spidermom
January 12th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Experiment with heatless curl methods. There are a variety of them on YouTube, TikTok, probably other platforms. The results can be quite stunning and definitely not damaging like a perm would be.

Obsidian
January 12th, 2023, 03:08 PM
I know you said you aren't going for a perm but I though I'd toss out that perms are much more damaging than bleach.

shelomit
January 16th, 2023, 06:42 AM
You might be able to get something similar to that "peekaboo" effect with a handful of colored extensions rather than bleaching/dying your own hair.

Artemisa
March 23rd, 2023, 10:03 PM
Maybe exploring with cute hair toys and hairstyles? Also focusing on growing your nails, eyebrows... or exploring other fashion styles...been there, done those impulsive hair colors and hair cuts... focusing on something else on your looks keeps you distracted from the hair o your head. Hope it helped.

illicitlizard
March 23rd, 2023, 11:42 PM
Last time I had this feeling I went for a trim and some face framing bangs - best decision ever. Losing a couple inches is sometimes enough to get over the urge if you want to mix things up. I also agree that dying like a streak of hair would work wonders without damaging everything!
Don't perm unless you want to start growing from scratch again, they're really damaging. I'm super thankful that a hairstylist refused to perm my hair when I was a teenager wanting a change. Dye is much better.

lapushka
March 24th, 2023, 06:38 AM
Any development, OP? Because it's an old post (January this year).

illicitlizard
March 24th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Any development, OP? Because it's an old post (January this year).

Very true, I hadn't even noticed! Yelling into the void again haha

clairenewcastle
March 24th, 2023, 11:12 AM
When I want to change my hair I get a trim, losing a few inches is usually enough to satisfy such cravings!