PDA

View Full Version : Getting my hair highlighted! Any bleaching care advice?

PixiAurora
January 9th, 2023, 10:35 AM
I have a January 20th appointment with my hairdresser for my usual top half highlights and underside mocha brown dye. I've never considered asking about a pre-care process before the highlights, and also how to help strengthen the hair afterwards. Can any other bottle blondes chime in with your advice on safely bleaching from a primarily darkest blonde that passes as a lightest brown colour?

angel-baby
January 9th, 2023, 10:49 AM
I don't do anything special to my hair before bleaching it, other than making sure I haven't watched it for a couple days.
If your salon uses Olaplex or any other bond builder, you can ask them to mix it in with the bleach.

For aftercare I always go at least 3 days without washing after using bleach, toner, or any color (supposedly this helps the color set, but it also gives your scalp and hair a chance to calm down). I do a deep treatment mask at least once a week, rotating between hydrating masks with ingredients like fruit, vegetables, honey or hyaluronic acid (anything to add water into the hair shaft), nourishing masks with oils and fats, and strengthening masks with protein. I also use almost the entire Olaplex line (3, 4, 5, 6, 7).

Take this all with a grain of salt -I recently had some breakage and decided to stop bleaching my hair for 6 months to let it recover a little, but overall it's in good shape. You'll probably be even better off since you're getting highlights in a salon, and your natural haircolor is lighter than mine.

rosenester
January 9th, 2023, 10:51 AM
When bleaching at home I always oiled heavily with coconut oil on washed hair with no other leave-ins. But you’re stylist may not want to work with an oil slick! I always did a deep conditioning with a high protein conditioner afterwards as well. Good luck!

sipnsun
January 9th, 2023, 10:57 AM
When I used to highlight my hair I would do a Redken CAT protein treatment a day or two beforehand and then again afterwards. I worked at a Redken salon so it didn't cost me anything but I still use it on occasion, just not as often since I gave up bleach and now I have to pay full price for it since I no longer work in a salon. You can also see if your hairdresser offers Olaplex added to your color service. It's different/more potent than the one we can do at home and it always left my hair feeling strong and very shiny! Enjoy your highlights, just typing all that makes me want to do mine again!

PixiAurora
January 9th, 2023, 10:58 AM
I do a deep treatment mask at least once a week, rotating between hydrating masks with ingredients like fruit, vegetables, honey or hyaluronic acid (anything to add water into the hair shaft), nourishing masks with oils and fats, and strengthening masks with protein.
I also use almost the entire Olaplex line (3, 4, 5, 6, 7).
I also have 1, 2, and 3 at home! Would you suggest I add any of the others you use to my haircare routine? Also what kind of mask products do you use if you don’t mind my asking? Last time I tried masks I always got a sebum flareup.

PixiAurora
January 9th, 2023, 11:05 AM
When bleaching at home I always oiled heavily with coconut oil on washed hair with no other leave-ins. But you’re stylist may not want to work with an oil slick! I always did a deep conditioning with a high protein conditioner afterwards as well. Good luck!
Yea, she doesn’t mind me coming in with a head of naturally greasy hair, I don’t know how she’d react to a cooking oil type product in my hair. :silly: :laugh:

PixiAurora
January 9th, 2023, 11:07 AM
When I used to highlight my hair I would do a Redken CAT protein treatment a day or two beforehand and then again afterwards. …now I have to pay full price for it since I no longer work in a salon.
Would you say it was worth using when you got to use it free? Or are there cheaper alternatives that work nearly just as well?

sipnsun
January 9th, 2023, 11:21 AM
I definitely thought it was worth it! It's different from a protein conditioner because it's a liquid spray that lathers up. It was our go-to protein treatment in the salon and it's always followed by a good moisturizing conditioner. Ulta sometimes offers a buy one get one free on it and that's when I stock up. I'm currently out so I'm using a protein treatment by Hairitage from Walmart which I also like really well.

angel-baby
January 9th, 2023, 01:03 PM
I also have 1, 2, and 3 at home! Would you suggest I add any of the others you use to my haircare routine? Also what kind of mask products do you use if you don’t mind my asking? Last time I tried masks I always got a sebum flareup.

I think out of the olaplex products you don’t already have, 6 and 7 (the leave-in conditioner and oil) probably make the biggest difference in terms of my own hair care! I plan on keeping those in my routine for basically….ever, or at least as long as there’s bleach/dye in my hair. I started using the shampoo and conditioner for consistency’s sake, but I think they work nicely and smell really good.

For masks I’m currently using 3 different masks by Kerastase, but there are some by Amika, Gisou, and Briogeo that I’ve been wanting to try. If you’re getting a sebum flare up after using hair masks, are you applying it to your scalp? I only put mine on my mid lengths and ends, from about the top of my ears down.

PixiAurora
January 9th, 2023, 02:57 PM
I definitely thought it was worth it!
Thank you bunches! I appreciate all your info.

If you’re getting a sebum flare up after using hair masks, are you applying it to your scalp? I only put mine on my mid lengths and ends, from about the top of my ears down.
Some said they were intended for scalp use as well. I guess I should check more closely for any that only want hair application! I do admit I’ve been unsure of some and just applied it everywhere, scalp included.

PixiAurora
February 19th, 2023, 11:45 AM
I got it highlighted! She said I had minimal hair loss during the process and it looks great. I'll post pics sometime!

angel-baby
February 19th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Awesome!! I'm glad you love the results and it wasn't too damaging :)

WednesdayAddams
February 19th, 2023, 06:35 PM
My hair really didn't do great with bleaching. After probably half a year it got SO dry.

Don't let your colorist overlap. Ever.

Try CO, don't use shampoo.

Stretch washes longer if you can. I got to every 5 days or so.

Don't use heat on your bleached hair, if possible.

PixiAurora
February 20th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Awesome!! I'm glad you love the results and it wasn't too damaging :)
Thank you! I do, I think it looks nice and bright like I was used to before.

Try CO, don't use shampoo.
Stretch washes longer if you can. I got to every 5 days or so.
Don't use heat on your bleached hair, if possible.
Is CO cowash? And yea I wash once a week at most, sometimes a smidge longer.
I definitely air dry my hair as well and don't do heat, except for on the initial salon day!