PDA

View Full Version : High porosity hair dries very slowly?

bubbles04
January 2nd, 2023, 03:00 PM
I gave a question about hair drying time. My hair is high porosity but it takes forever to dry. Even if it's windy outside or I sit under a fan, there will always be a section of my hair that will remain damp even after 1 or 2 hours of drying. I have to go out to school/work with wet hair everyday since it won't dry in the time I'm taking to get ready.

It eventually does dry but sometimes remains damp.

While my hair gets wet very quickly, the drying time is hard. I don't blow-dry because hot hair makes my hair look frizzy.

Why is this happening?? And how can I dry my hair faster?

Bri-Chan
January 2nd, 2023, 03:49 PM
High porosity hair absorbs a lot of water, so yes it's normal. Actually 1-2 hours seem fast. Do you keep in a towel before air drying? Do you use leave ins? When I use more leave in products it takes more.

MusicalSpoons
January 2nd, 2023, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I have nothing to help but 1-2hrs is pretty quick for ii/iii hair. I'm only a middling ii and back when I used to sometimes wash my hair in the daytime it took 3-4hrs in the summer with lots of fluffing and encouraging (as well as fluffing it, I used to stand at the top of the stairs, hold onto the banister, and tip my head upside down to shake my hair to help ventilate it). Last time I did a hairtyping photo - no manipulation - it took over 6hrs.

Blow drying on warm might help but from your post I understand if you don't want to do that, if it also makes your hair frizzy not just on hot.

lapis_lazuli
January 2nd, 2023, 05:48 PM
I feel your pain. My bleach-damaged ends are definitely high porosity, and I suspect my virgin hair is at least normal to high. It takes AGES to dry, and it's not just due to length. I mostly do scalp-only washes, which results in hair wet down to APL, and if I left it alone it would still take at least a full day to be bone dry.
Seriously. :justy:
I blowdry for 15 minutes when I first get out of the shower, clip it up and let it airdry for however many hours I can, then blowdry again until it's easy enough to detangle and wrangle into a bun. As impatient as I am, I have to put the time in to get it as dry as possible before putting it up, otherwise it'll stay damp for days and make my hair so hard to manage :( That's the only way I know how to deal with it.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2023, 05:52 PM
I gave a question about hair drying time. My hair is high porosity but it takes forever to dry. Even if it's windy outside or I sit under a fan, there will always be a section of my hair that will remain damp even after 1 or 2 hours of drying. I have to go out to school/work with wet hair everyday since it won't dry in the time I'm taking to get ready.

It eventually does dry but sometimes remains damp.

While my hair gets wet very quickly, the drying time is hard. I don't blow-dry because hot hair makes my hair look frizzy.

Why is this happening?? And how can I dry my hair faster?

You are lucky. I am normal porosity and it dries in 8+H for me. 1 to 2 hours is nothing, trust me! I would suggest a good towel, preferably a smooth microfiber, to soak the most wetness out of your hair, after you wrung out your hair from all the wetness. Hope you are doing these things. Kind of stating the obvious here, but you never know!

Arcticfoxes
January 2nd, 2023, 06:26 PM
You are lucky. I am normal porosity and it dries in 8+H for me. 1 to 2 hours is nothing, trust me! I would suggest a good towel, preferably a smooth microfiber, to soak the most wetness out of your hair, after you wrung out your hair from all the wetness. Hope you are doing these things. Kind of stating the obvious here, but you never know!

well I only figured out about a month ago that air drying in a towel is better than air drying without so... indeed you never know!

rosenester
January 2nd, 2023, 06:52 PM
I agree with these sentiments due to my own personal experience. My hair has bleach damage and has to be high porosity in those places, but I suspect the rest of my hair may be as well. My hair is also ii/iii thickness and on average takes between 3-4 hours to dry after 15 minutes in a microfiber towel followed by a fair amount of leave-in products. My bangs dry very fast, no products, more airflow, and less damaged, but the lengths and nape take quite a while, the lengths are most damaged, and the nape is most dense and less air flow. If it is humid…. About 5 hours to dry.

ETA: this is why I shower and wash my hair at night, if it’s not dine drying before bed, it goes in a loose scrunchie bun and my scalp dries by morning, and when let loose the lengths can finish drying.

angel-baby
January 2nd, 2023, 06:59 PM
I have high porosity hair. I feel like the last few inches of my hair dry super fast, but the interior, close to my skull, takes almost a day to air dry. Probably bc of over-processing.

GoatLady
January 2nd, 2023, 08:20 PM
Echoing that 1-2 hours is quick. My hair is low porosity and it dries in about 2 hours in the winter. faster in the summer.

shelomit
January 3rd, 2023, 05:29 AM
The last time I dried my hair loose it was still damp the afternoon of the next day, lolsob. My only real tips are washing in the afternoon or evening (e.g., once you get back home from the school you mention) and putting it up the next day so it at least isn't making your back/shoulders cold while it dries.

My hair can stand a lot of stretching, so I don't wash much during winter because I get so cold while my hair is drying, and drying, and drying. . .

shelomit
January 3rd, 2023, 05:32 AM
The last time I tried to dry my hair loose it was still damp the evening of the next day, lolsob. My only real tips are washing in the afternoon or evening (e.g., once you get back home from the school you mention) and putting it up the next day so it at least isn't making your back/shoulders cold while it dries.

My hair can stand a lot of stretching, so I don't wash much during winter because I get so cold while my hair is drying, and drying, and drying. . .

Finda
January 3rd, 2023, 10:05 AM
I have an airdrying time of two-three hours, but that's also the reason I wash my hair in the evening. Even with blowdrying it would take too much time in the morning.

Arcticfoxes
January 3rd, 2023, 03:18 PM
shelomit, i found keeping hair in a towel rather than drying loose helps with the cold. i have that every time i air dry, my ears especially even hurt, so uncomfortable! honestly i just blow dry on a low heat setting most of the time, its not worth the discomfort to me.

shelomit
January 4th, 2023, 12:41 PM
shelomit, i found keeping hair in a towel rather than drying loose helps with the cold. i have that every time i air dry, my ears especially even hurt, so uncomfortable! honestly i just blow dry on a low heat setting most of the time, its not worth the discomfort to me.

Sometimes I towel it and that definitely does help with the cold! Alas, wearing the towel gives me headaches and typically a very sore neck.

mochichichi
January 4th, 2023, 01:48 PM
I have taken to bundling myself up in a blanket and sitting with my hair draped over the back of a chair with a towel between my hair and the chair, and running a floor fan at my back. Cut my dry time from 6+ hours to 2ish hours post towel.

Arciela
January 8th, 2023, 10:11 AM
When my hair was bleached and high porosity I remember it air drying just a tiny bit faster. Now it's low porosity and takes all day. Sometimes I get so impatient I use my Dyson dryer.