PDA

View Full Version : African Butterfly Comb

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Have you seen these?
http://www.africanbutterfly.com/

When my husband and I were on our honeymoon at the Stanley Hotel with the Ghosthunters (whoop!!) we saw a woman with the most beautiful hairtoy in her hair. I asked her about it and promptly received one from my sweetheart for Christmas :o). I absolutely LOVE it! Just thought I'd share!

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Do we get to see pictures? You cannot come in here and make us all drool and then not deliver now, you hear! ;)

AntiHairSlave
March 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
wow that's just like my hairzing... Same idea.

AJoifulNoise
March 23rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Wow, that's really pretty!

Patrycja
March 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! You were at the Stanley Hotel?! With Ghosthunters?! You are sooooooo lucky! I'm green with jealousy :) Did you meet Grant or Jason? Post pics!

sorry for the hijack :D

that comb is so pretty too :blossom:

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
K ... having a blonde moment. How do I post a pic LOL?

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! You were at the Stanley Hotel?! With Ghosthunters?! You are sooooooo lucky! I'm green with jealousy :) Did you meet Grant or Jason? Post pics!

LOL you're so funny! We actually traveled by car from AZ to CO - took FOREVER. When we walked in the back entrance to the Stanley after travelling all night ... Oh yeah and looking like blech ... who do you think was walking up the stairs with his beautiful wife? Yup, Grant LOL. I tried to remain calm and introduced myself and my husband (who was actually standing there speachless ... we are both avid Ghosthunter fans) and Grant introduced his wife. He is a very down to earth guy really.

We spent Thursday through Sunday with Grant, Jason, Chris Fleming (creator of the KII meter), John Zaffas (demonologist), Patrick (gosh can't remember his last name ... from Court TV's Haunting Evidence). We actually ghost hunted the Stanley with Grant, Chris and Patrick!!! It was AWESOME!

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's super easy to use too!

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
K ... having a blonde moment. How do I post a pic LOL?
Upload it to .. say.. imageshack. They will give you a link that you can use to put in here so it displays a thumbnail and we can then click on it :)

Onebeauty
March 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Ok so I can't take a pic of the comb in my hair because I used all the battery taking pics of my new grandbaby and it's charging LOL. However, here is the pic from the Stanley ...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/relivmom35/grantbuhrmans.jpg

Tapioca
March 24th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I got one of these out of the swap box, and it works great. It loosens after a few hours, but if I just give it a good shove, it's fine.

AutumnLeaves
March 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Wow! You met Ghosthunters! What a great pic with Jason! I love that show and we watch it every single week! Love the show and the way they do their business. I wish I could work with them! It would be so interesting!

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Bumping this thread (Just realized there was one :doh: )

Rachel at https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Default.asp is still in business....and I have amassed (ahem) a collection:o

I love the wire tong combs the best; the plastic sometimes pinch with my fine hair and sensitive scalp...but I still get them comfy after tweaking my insertion techniques :thumbsup:

Cg
November 30th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I loved the plastic one I wore with shorter hair. It held really well even with super slick hair. After hip or so it didn't stay in any more, but for shorter lengths it provided one of the best holds.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2017, 02:04 PM
So, tell us what happened on the ghost hunt!

lithostoic
November 30th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I've already bookmarked one of them!

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I loved the plastic one I wore with shorter hair. It held really well even with super slick hair. After hip or so it didn't stay in any more, but for shorter lengths it provided one of the best holds.
Yes they have a great hold for slippery hair (mine is too)!

The gals with thicker hair may like the wire tongs better...though they also have combs for thick hair too (I can't attest to that hold though lol).

So, tell us what happened on the ghost hunt!

The OP hasn't been here in 5 years ...it could be a while ;)

I've already bookmarked one of them!:thumbsup: Which one? :popcorn:

Sarahlabyrinth
November 30th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Oh - LOL! (characters)

Groovy Granny
November 30th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Oh - LOL! (characters)

ROFLOL :rollin:

DweamGoiL
December 1st, 2017, 07:58 AM
I like the look of some of these with more simple designs. Some can just be a bit too busy for me. I've always wanted to try wooden ones because plastic and metal come right out of my hair. I had one with the metal prongs and it didn't even last a full 2 hours in my hair. I just gave up one it. I would love to hear how people got them to work in slippy hair.

lapushka
December 1st, 2017, 08:10 AM
What *is* the secret, because whatever I do they just pop out of my hair right after inserting them. And I do it all correctly. I think my hair just eats these. Pity, because they are beautiful pieces.

lithostoic
December 1st, 2017, 08:43 AM
This (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Dalena-Brown-p/040270.htm) is the one I want! Such magical colors, I think it would suit me well :)

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2017, 11:28 AM
This (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Dalena-Brown-p/040270.htm) is the one I want! Such magical colors, I think it would suit me well :)

That is beautiful; I have a similar comb with all multicolor beads :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2017, 11:30 AM
I like the look of some of these with more simple designs. Some can just be a bit too busy for me. I've always wanted to try wooden ones because plastic and metal come right out of my hair. I had one with the metal prongs and it didn't even last a full 2 hours in my hair. I just gave up one it. I would love to hear how people got them to work in slippy hair.
I have a few wood beads and they are beautiful; a couple of plastic and 1 wire tong.
The wire tongs are a bit heavier.....size (number of tongs) makes the difference for me I found.
Varying the style helps too with bulk and texture ....flipped braids vs a french twist etc.

What *is* the secret, because whatever I do they just pop out of my hair right after inserting them. And I do it all correctly. I think my hair just eats these. Pity, because they are beautiful pieces.

It could be the thickness....they do have some for thicker hair now.

Can you use it for a half up?

The wire combs are awesome for any type hair...I love them the most :love:

lapushka
December 1st, 2017, 03:41 PM
It could be the thickness....they do have some for thicker hair now.

Can you use it for a half up?

The wire combs are awesome for any type hair...I love them the most :love:

Nope not even a half-up. The plastic somehow catches on my hair funny. There are metal ones and they stay a bit better (but not that well either).

Groovy Granny
December 1st, 2017, 04:36 PM
Nope not even a half-up. The plastic somehow catches on my hair funny. There are metal ones and they stay a bit better (but not that well either).

Oh that's too bad :(

The combs for thicker hair seem to have larger spaces between the teeth https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Thick-Hair-Comb-s/91.htm

The new TRIPLA (triple bead) combs are gorgeous :love:
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Tripla-Hair-Comb-s/104.htm

Groovy Granny
December 15th, 2017, 05:04 PM
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/default.asp

15-20% off and free shipping on orders over $50

THIS ONE (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/11-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/11105.htm) fell into my basket :whistle:

Cg
December 16th, 2017, 03:19 PM

15-20% off and free shipping on orders over $50

THIS ONE (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/11-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/11105.htm) fell into my basket :whistle:

Very pretty!

I'll bet you have no remorse over being such a shameless enabler, either. So many pretties!

Groovy Granny
December 16th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Very pretty!

I'll bet you have no remorse over being such a shameless enabler, either. So many pretties!

Oh sure I do :whistle: :lol:

Aren't they gorgeous?! :crush:

I waited all year for an 11 tong comb, so when this sale came up (plus I had accumulated reward points)..I had to bite.

Now I am heading into my 'no buy year' in 2018 :wannabe:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Even with 15-20% off i cant justify spending 20$ on a toy that might not work for me ;__; I am REALLY afraid it will not stay in my hair.
So i found an ebay seller, reselling the one they got from the official site for about 10$ including shipping. Hopefully it works for me!

Groovy Granny
December 16th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Even with 15-20% off i cant justify spending 20$ on a toy that might not work for me ;__; I am REALLY afraid it will not stay in my hair.
So i found an ebay seller, reselling the one they got from the official site for about 10$ including shipping. Hopefully it works for me!

Is it a plastic comb...or one of the wire tong varieties?

The plastic combs had a learning curve for me because I have such fine hair...and a hair or 2 always got pulled/pinched while trying to secure the comb (there is a trick to it).
But after I adjusted the stretch and paid attention to the teeth placement I finally got a comfy fit.

However the wire tong combs are my greatest love :love:
Although it says they are for thick hair, they hold my fine slippery, sometimes poofy mane securely, and are the ones I grab for mostly....which was funny because I avoided them to start :doh:

So you never know until you try....and it is great that you found one on ebay :thumbsup:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 16th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Is it a plastic comb...or one of the wire tong varieties?

The plastic combs had a learning curve for me because I have such fine hair...and a hair or 2 always got pulled/pinched while trying to secure the comb (there is a trick to it).
But after I adjusted the stretch and paid attention to the teeth placement I finally got a comfy fit.

However the wire tong combs are my greatest love :love:
Although it says they are for thick hair, they hold my fine slippery, sometimes poofy mane securely, and are the ones I grab for mostly....which was funny because I avoided them to start :doh:

So you never know until you try....and it is great that you found one on ebay :thumbsup:

It looks to be plastic. Ill buy a brand new one from the site if it works out, because I do love the way they look.

Groovy Granny
December 16th, 2017, 09:45 PM
It looks to be plastic. Ill buy a brand new one from the site if it works out, because I do love the way they look.

Let us know how it goes :popcorn:

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 24th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Got my clip. It was REALLY hard to work with and it refuses to stay in.
I’ll need to practice some more I think but this is how it looks.
Eventually I’ll get a better handle on it I think I just have too much hair.
https://s9.postimg.org/q5oz96kvj/4_A237094-_A0_E9-496_F-_B4_E7-33_F48_C049089.jpg

Groovy Granny
December 24th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Oh that looks nice :)
I love the wood beads and have both light and dark bead combs.

Experiment with twists and buns, and watch the stretch as you secure it.

The 'lock' takes practice, but you only need to engage a few teeth...it will come (I had a hard time at first too) :cheer:

I still wear the plastic combs, but TBH...I LOVE the wire tong combs much better; they are awesome.

Diana_Prince
December 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Anyone with thin hair have success with these?

Cg
December 28th, 2017, 02:38 PM

Absolutely. I have both a large plastic one and an 11-tong wire. Both work great and are easy to use.

Groovy Granny
December 28th, 2017, 02:46 PM

I have, as have others; read through the thread and take note of their hair stats (F-i/ii).

It also depends on the style and size of the comb...and what hairstyle you want to use if for (half up or twists/buns).

Rachel is great at answering questions;just send her a message ...the link is on her shop page.

I love my entire collection and I have fine/wispy hip length silver; the wire tongs are my absolute favorite.

Cg
December 28th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Got my clip. It was REALLY hard to work with and it refuses to stay in.
I’ll need to practice some more I think but this is how it looks.
Eventually I’ll get a better handle on it I think I just have too much hair.

I can't use mine with a wide bun any more. Try experimenting with a log roll, that might work better. Also, you don't have to encompass the whole wad of hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I can't use mine with a wide bun any more. Try experimenting with a log roll, that might work better. Also, you don't have to encompass the whole wad of hair.

Ill try it, the boyfriend bought me another one for christmas so now i have two so i need to learn them.

lunasea
January 3rd, 2018, 09:14 AM
How are the wire versions of these on Etsy different from the $6 drugstore version? I got a cheap one yesterday to try and it worked quite nicely. Now I’m eyeballing some with wooden beads online but thinking they could be really different and not work.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 09:36 AM
How are the wire versions of these on Etsy different from the $6 drugstore version? I got a cheap one yesterday to try and it worked quite nicely. Now I’m eyeballing some with wooden beads online but thinking they could be really different and not work.

The prongs are heavier/more firm/unbendable... and longer (almost 2x) .
They have a secure hold that way surpasses the drug store variety; I have some of those myself to compare to.
The quality and beading is gorgeous and there is a 1 year guaranty; they are like hair jewelry :love:

lunasea
January 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks! How many tines are comparable to the drugstore variety?

Cg
January 3rd, 2018, 10:39 AM

GG's right, the flimsy drugstore version has cheap short prongs and is shorter in length as well. It did not hold my superfine thin hair even at waist.

I have both large plastic with wood beads and metal 11-prong. Both work just dandy. I've never had any problems with either.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 03:56 PM
You can't even compare the 2 because the quality is so different.

The number of tongs depends on the size of the comb.

Just click the links at the top for 5-7-9-11 tong to see the stat differences.

https://www.africanbutterfly.com/Wire-Hair-Comb-s/6.htm

The drug store version does not hold as much hair ; 1.5" of flexible wires that bend out of shape.

AB are solid wires and double the size @ 3"

lapushka
January 3rd, 2018, 04:54 PM
Ill try it, the boyfriend bought me another one for christmas so now i have two so i need to learn them.

They didn't stay put in my hair either; eventually I gave up because I tried different styles and all, but as soon as the second comb went in, it flopped back out! My hair is just too thick, and I was about BSL at the time with a simple peacock twist / log roll.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 06:06 PM
The plastic versions I don't find to be as accommodating...but I cannot attest to the WIDE TOOTH version for THICK HAIR.

The wire tongs come in every size from an extra small 5 wire to a large 11 wire and they have amazing hold.

Rachel at http://www.africanbutterfly.com/ is very good....if you are not happy with a comb from her shop she will work with you to exchange/refund/swap it out...up to a year!

lunasea
January 3rd, 2018, 06:56 PM
It looks like I should order a 5 tong comb based on my thin hair but the one that I'm interested in is out of stock. Many of these look like they have plastic beads which I HATE. Just my thing. I was also looking at this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/561843386/one-clip-hair-clip-on-a-7-prong-approx) one that seems to have wooden beads but it's 7 tongs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 3rd, 2018, 09:06 PM
The plastic versions I don't find to be as accommodating...but I cannot attest to the WIDE TOOTH version for THICK HAIR.

The wire tongs come in every size from an extra small 5 wire to a large 11 wire and they have amazing hold.

Rachel at http://www.africanbutterfly.com/ is very good....if you are not happy with a comb from her shop she will work with you to exchange/refund/swap it out...up to a year!
Sadly my boyfriend doesn’t know much about hair.
So he just bought me one he thought I’d like.
That one too has plastic teeth, so I might be stuck with two that just won’t work for my hair thickness.
I have slippery fine hair and a lot of it. If I get it to stay in, it pulls at my scalp.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 10:24 PM
It looks like I should order a 5 tong comb based on my thin hair but the one that I'm interested in is out of stock. Many of these look like they have plastic beads which I HATE. Just my thing. I was also looking at this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/561843386/one-clip-hair-clip-on-a-7-prong-approx) one that seems to have wooden beads but it's 7 tongs.

If you click 'notify me' she will make a note and ask them to make some; she can't promise if/when that will happen.

And likewise....send her a message about what you are interested in and she will see what she can do :thumbsup:

Even the 5 wire are substantial; I have fine slippery hair too and that comb can handle a half up as well as a bun.

Sadly my boyfriend doesn’t know much about hair.
So he just bought me one he thought I’d like.
That one too has plastic teeth, so I might be stuck with two that just won’t work for my hair thickness.
I have slippery fine hair and a lot of it. If I get it to stay in, it pulls at my scalp.

It is a learning curve....the sad part is you can't exchange it because it was from ebay.

But try different ways in securing it....don't give up; use them for half ups etc.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 3rd, 2018, 10:41 PM
If you click 'notify me' she will make a note and ask them to make some; she can't promise if/when that will happen.

And likewise....send her a message about what you are interested in and she will see what she can do :thumbsup:

Even the 5 wire are substantial; I have fine slippery hair too and that comb can handle a half up as well as a bun.

It is a learning curve....the sad part is you can't exchange it because it was from ebay.

But try different ways in securing it....don't give up; use them for half ups etc.

If you read my previous comments, I bought one for myself .
My boyfriend got me another one for Christmas, off the official website.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 10:46 PM
If you read my previous comments, I bought one for myself .
My boyfriend got me another one for Christmas, off the official website.

I forgot that you did....I am an old lady and can't recall what I went into a room for...never mind who said what :p :lol:

Well that's great...just message Rachel and she will help you out then if you are unhappy with it :thumbsup:

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 3rd, 2018, 10:51 PM
I forgot that you did....I am an old lady and can't recall what I went into a room for...never mind who said what :p :lol:

Well that's great...just message Rachel and she will help you out then if you are unhappy with it :thumbsup:
Are you sure? It was a gift so I don’t have proof of purchase.

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 10:57 PM
Are you sure? It was a gift so I don’t have proof of purchase.
It can't hurt to ask; imessage her the info; she will see the transaction on her end.

I don't work there....though I should get something for all this promo :hmm: :lol:

lunasea
January 3rd, 2018, 11:28 PM
Thank you GG! I was just rereading this thread and saw you added a picture! That really helps a lot. I’m gonna need to look at this in more detail in the morning.

Groovy Granny
January 4th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Thank you GG! I was just rereading this thread and saw you added a picture! That really helps a lot. I’m gonna need to look at this in more detail in the morning.

You're welcome:)
I was pleasantly surprised to see/feel how sturdy they are, but they are so comfy!!

They can have some slip as they do have a bit of weight but lighter than a Ficcare.
I found a ponytail or braid helps if I have a lot of slip at any time to anchor it with half ups.

lunasea
January 4th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I ordered the one that I linked to on Etsy (a seller in the UK) since it's the closest to what I might like and got on the notification list at the other website for the one that I want that is out of stock. I nearly always wear my hair in a log roll with the top of the fold visible from the front to give a little height. I'm thinking these will be excellent for that particular 'do' since the beads will go over most of the roll and hold it in place.

These also look good for winter since they look like they will fit under a hat.

Groovy Granny
January 4th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I ordered the one that I linked to on Etsy (a seller in the UK) since it's the closest to what I might like and got on the notification list at the other website for the one that I want that is out of stock. I nearly always wear my hair in a log roll with the top of the fold visible from the front to give a little height. I'm thinking these will be excellent for that particular 'do' since the beads will go over most of the roll and hold it in place.

These also look good for winter since they look like they will fit under a hat.

That's a sound plan and should work well :thumbsup:

The perk with AB USA is her 1 year satisfaction policy; that's nice :)

Groovy Granny
February 20th, 2018, 05:28 PM
wrong thread

Shorty89
February 20th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to poke my head in here and ask if any of you want to buy a comb that I've outgrown. There hasn't been much nterest on the swap board.

Groovy Granny
February 20th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to poke my head in here and ask if any of you want to buy a comb that I've outgrown. There hasn't been much nterest on the swap board.
Hi :waving:
It would help if you posted a pic and stats on it; the pic is gone from your OP in the swap board. ;)

Shorty89
February 21st, 2018, 11:04 AM
Hi :waving:
It would help if you posted a pic and stats on it; the pic is gone from your OP in the swap board. ;)

It is gone? Whoops! I'll take a new one before too long. I don't know much about it size wise. I got it ages ago from another LHCer at a meet.

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2018, 11:43 AM
This may help you ~ and for general info:
https://www.africanbutterfly.com

Plastic Combs
Here are the sizes pictured (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/3SizesRow.png)
4" standard
Most popular of all the sizes
Holds both thick and thin hair, long or short
Ideal for most women and is great for all styles

2.75" medium
Most popular for medium to fine hair
Excellent for half-up style or up-pony style
(Holds my twists and half ups)

1.75" small
Great for bringing up the sides or for little wisps
Wonderful for young girls
(I use it for light half ups/fringe)

The wire combs
11 Tong Wire Comb (largest size)
Measures 3 1/2"- 4" in length
Holds the longest & thickest of hair
(but it hold my fine wispies just fine)

9 Tong Wire Comb (medium/large size)
Measures 3"- 3 1/2" in length
Recommended for thicker hair

7 Tong Wire Comb (medium size)
Measures 2 1/4"- 2 1/2" in length
Recommended for thinner hair

5 tong wire comb (smallest size)
Measures 1 3/4" in length
Great for bringing up the sides and more depending on length & thickness of hair
Wonderful for young girls
(I also use this size for twists and center held buns)

mwallingford
February 21st, 2018, 12:03 PM
They have such pretty designs! But has anyone ever had the elastic break on them? My concern would be that the elastic would weaken over time and then beads would be propelled and launched around the bathroom.

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2018, 12:13 PM
They have such pretty designs! But has anyone ever had the elastic break on them? My concern would be that the elastic would weaken over time and then beads would be propelled and launched around the bathroom.

I never have...nor have I seen it on their reviews; a google search comes up empty too.
They seem pretty sturdy compared to the local store bought variety...and those haven't broken on me after years of use.

There is a 1 year return policy with the USA site and Rachel is great to work with if a comb isn't to your liking :thumbsup:

mwallingford
February 21st, 2018, 12:38 PM
I never have...nor have I seen it on their reviews; a google search comes up empty too.
They seem pretty sturdy compared to the local store bought variety...and those haven't broken on me after years of use.

There is a 1 year return policy with the USA site and Rachel is great to work with if a comb isn't to your liking :thumbsup:

Thanks GG! That one year return policy is reassuring, and it's always nice to have someone with personal experience with a product. I may have to take another gander at these...

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks GG! That one year return policy is reassuring, and it's always nice to have someone with personal experience with a product. I may have to take another gander at these...

I LOVE the wire tong combs the best :crush:

My hair is fine/wispy and the plastic always seems to catch a hair :headache:
It takes a bit of practice to secure it with comfort; I just don't do it enough.
But the wire tongs are solid and a breeze to insert.
Pretty light too...though the larger the size a wee bit heavier; so I pay attention to the style/slip and work from there.

mwallingford
February 21st, 2018, 03:34 PM
I LOVE the wire tong combs the best :crush:

My hair is fine/wispy and the plastic always seems to catch a hair :headache:
It takes a bit of practice to secure it with comfort; I just don't do it enough.
But the wire tongs are solid and a breeze to insert.
Pretty light too...though the larger the size a wee bit heavier; so I pay attention to the style/slip and work from there.

You read my mind! I was about to ask you which ones were better for hold. My hair is insanely slippery, so that's fantastic! Are they a fairly sturdy wire, or do they easily bend out of shape?

Groovy Granny
February 21st, 2018, 04:20 PM
You read my mind! I was about to ask you which ones were better for hold. My hair is insanely slippery, so that's fantastic! Are they a fairly sturdy wire, or do they easily bend out of shape?

They are solid...not like the drug store 'bendy' variety as all.
They go in easily and the tongs are long so they really grab at your style, and you can kind of interlock them.
The more tongs the heavier it is because of the wire and beads, but I only had an issue with one sliding when I used too big of a comb for a half up on clean hair :p
But I have also made a ponytail or bun and it stayed fine later on.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 22nd, 2018, 12:51 AM
I still cant get mine to work for me.. i might post on the swap board.

mwallingford
February 22nd, 2018, 10:00 AM
They are solid...not like the drug store 'bendy' variety as all.
They go in easily and the tongs are long so they really grab at your style, and you can kind of interlock them.
The more tongs the heavier it is because of the wire and beads, but I only had an issue with one sliding when I used too big of a comb for a half up on clean hair :p
But I have also made a ponytail or bun and it stayed fine later on.

Do you think the 7 or 9 prong ones will hold a full updo? My hair is (pretty darn) slippery, very straight (1a), and right around BCL. I really like the looks of...
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/7-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0789.htm
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/9-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0973.htm
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/7-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0756.htm
...but I'm not sure if it will hold or not. Do they hold styles like the nautilus and lazy wrap bun, or do you usually do something like a cinnabun? Are there any styles that you use on the regular with these? Sorry for all the questions! You've been so patient with me! :flower:

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2018, 10:59 AM
Do you think the 7 or 9 prong ones will hold a full updo? My hair is (pretty darn) slippery, very straight (1a), and right around BCL. I really like the looks of...
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/7-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0789.htm
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/9-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0973.htm
https://www.africanbutterfly.com/7-Tong-Wire-Comb-p/0756.htm
...but I'm not sure if it will hold or not. Do they hold styles like the nautilus and lazy wrap bun, or do you usually do something like a cinnabun? Are there any styles that you use on the regular with these? Sorry for all the questions! You've been so patient with me! :flower:

LOL No problem...happy to help...if I can ;)

The type of bun & structure itself won't be showing; all the hair is under/inside the comb....but how you wrap it may help secure it more (braided,base wrapped etc)
You can't secure a certain bun as you would with a stick/fork.
It will take experimenting on your part as your hair changes from day to day to determine what wrap will hold.

All the combs are 3.5" wide and stretch to 6-7'; it is the length that varies....from 2.5" -4"
So technically any size WIRE comb will hold a bun/twist, but varies in the amount of hair it will contain depending on the length.

My hair is fine/wispy and has less length than the usual hip because of my short torso, and I have all the sizes; the 5 wire can hold a half up and even a twist/bun on me.

So the 7 & 9 wire could also be used for twists/half ups etc and may give you more options than just holding a bun...if that's what you want.

The 11 wire is @4" and covers my whole twist (and almost my head LOL) and has room to expand, but I couldn't use it for a half up.

For me the bottom line was how much use I wanted from a comb; the 11 wire limits my options to a twist/bun...whereas the 5/7/9 could be used for any number of styles on me

*When you click on a comb...look for 'out of stock' in RED...2/3 of your links are unavailable
Some will have 'notify me' if they are out of stock; that messages Rachel that you are interested and she puts in a request for that type comb (no guarantees though)

mwallingford
February 22nd, 2018, 06:59 PM
LOL No problem...happy to help...if I can ;)

The type of bun & structure itself won't be showing; all the hair is under/inside the comb....but how you wrap it may help secure it more (braided,base wrapped etc)
You can't secure a certain bun as you would with a stick/fork.
It will take experimenting on your part as your hair changes from day to day to determine what wrap will hold.

All the combs are 3.5" wide and stretch to 6-7'; it is the length that varies....from 2.5" -4"
So technically any size WIRE comb will hold a bun/twist, but varies in the amount of hair it will contain depending on the length.

My hair is fine/wispy and has less length than the usual hip because of my short torso, and I have all the sizes; the 5 wire can hold a half up and even a twist/bun on me.

So the 7 & 9 wire could also be used for twists/half ups etc and may give you more options than just holding a bun...if that's what you want.

The 11 wire is @4" and covers my whole twist (and almost my head LOL) and has room to expand, but I couldn't use it for a half up.

For me the bottom line was how much use I wanted from a comb; the 11 wire limits my options to a twist/bun...whereas the 5/7/9 could be used for any number of styles on me

*When you click on a comb...look for 'out of stock' in RED...2/3 of your links are unavailable
Some will have 'notify me' if they are out of stock; that messages Rachel that you are interested and she puts in a request for that type comb (no guarantees though)

Well, rats; those were my two favorite combs! Wouldn't that just figure with my brand of luck? But what you said makes a lot of sense with the amount of tongs! I'm mainly looking to just wear a bun, since that's what I wear everyday. Is Rachel the Ebay link that you put in the previous page? I may have to look her up! It would be fantastic if she could get that, but I would totally understand if she couldn't. Do they bring back the same ones every so often, or do they permanently rotate things out?

Groovy Granny
February 22nd, 2018, 10:29 PM
Well, rats; those were my two favorite combs! Wouldn't that just figure with my brand of luck? But what you said makes a lot of sense with the amount of tongs! I'm mainly looking to just wear a bun, since that's what I wear everyday. Is Rachel the Ebay link that you put in the previous page? I may have to look her up! It would be fantastic if she could get that, but I would totally understand if she couldn't. Do they bring back the same ones every so often, or do they permanently rotate things out?

I didn't post an ebay link :confused:

Rachel is the owner of the site you are looking at.

There is no set inventory; she never knows what she will get, but if you message her or click notify me on an out of stock comb you like, she will send them a note about possibly making one.

IF they do make one she will let you know...but she never knows what is coming in.

I marked one for my wish list...she noticed it, sent them a note, and a few weeks later surprised me with a message she had it :)

I think she keeps track of the favorite quick sellers... and those come around often.

Just send her a note with your requests or questions...she is great to chat with :thumbsup:

mwallingford
February 23rd, 2018, 07:00 AM
Sorry about that! I'm not sure why I wrote Ebay; I think I'm loosing it! I meant to put the official African Butterfly Clip website, but apparently my brain stops working at 9:00.. :sleep: (I think I might have been browsing through Ebay before and my brain decided that's what I wanted to write instead.) Anywhoodles, that sounds great! I'm a wee tad short on funds though, so this may be more of a birthday thing, or if I can set aside a sufficient amount of money. I'll be putting this on my list though, for sure! :writer:

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2018, 10:20 AM
Sorry about that! I'm not sure why I wrote Ebay; I think I'm loosing it! I meant to put the official African Butterfly Clip website, but apparently my brain stops working at 9:00.. :sleep: (I think I might have been browsing through Ebay before and my brain decided that's what I wanted to write instead.) Anywhoodles, that sounds great! I'm a wee tad short on funds though, so this may be more of a birthday thing, or if I can set aside a sufficient amount of money. I'll be putting this on my list though, for sure! :writer:

No problem...I do that often :whistle:

Sign up for her offers....she has regular sales and special ones too for her customers and email list apart from the main site.
The reward program is great....you get $4 credit when you post a review, and each clip bought adds points as well.

mwallingford
February 23rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
No problem...I do that often :whistle:

Sign up for her offers....she has regular sales and special ones too for her customers and email list apart from the main site.
The reward program is great....you get $4 credit when you post a review, and each clip bought adds points as well.

Alrighty, I made myself an account! I'll be watching her page like a hawk. How do you sign up for offers? Does she automatically send you e-mails about it, or do you have to specifically ask for them. And I hate to sound really cheap, but do you remember how much shipping is if you just order one clip? Does she have any sales around Black Friday, or maybe anything coming around a little sooner? It says free shipping on orders over $100.00, but I may be lucky to scrounge $30.00

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2018, 01:36 PM
Alrighty, I made myself an account! I'll be watching her page like a hawk. How do you sign up for offers? Does she automatically send you e-mails about it, or do you have to specifically ask for them. And I hate to sound really cheap, but do you remember how much shipping is if you just order one clip? Does she have any sales around Black Friday, or maybe anything coming around a little sooner? It says free shipping on orders over $100.00, but I may be lucky to scrounge $30.00

At the bottom of the page (right) there is a sign up link for promotions; and I usually get a drop down box when I am on her page.

Here is her FB page; scroll through to see when she has sales put up in the past.
Yes, she does holidays, black friday etc
https://www.facebook.com/AfricanButterflyUS/

That's not being cheap...I take S&H into account when I buy as well ;)

Shipping has been $5-7 for me depending on the number/size of clips I bought
You get rewards for reviews and purchases ~ 100 = $4 so with past sales I have had free/discounted shipping.
Sometimes she has had free shipping on sales too....and has doubled rewards.
You can ask her specifically...as the charges might have changed since I first started with her.

mwallingford
February 23rd, 2018, 07:44 PM
At the bottom of the page (right) there is a sign up link for promotions; and I usually get a drop down box when I am on her page.

Here is her FB page; scroll through to see when she has sales put up in the past.
Yes, she does holidays, black friday etc
https://www.facebook.com/AfricanButterflyUS/

That's not being cheap...I take S&H into account when I buy as well ;)

Shipping has been $5-7 for me depending on the number/size of clips I bought
You get rewards for reviews and purchases ~ 100 = $4 so with past sales I have had free/discounted shipping.
Sometimes she has had free shipping on sales too....and has doubled rewards.
You can ask her specifically...as the charges might have changed since I first started with her.

Thanks! I signed up for the promotion notification thing! I looked through her FaceBook page, and you're right; she totally does sales several times a year. I saw that she was setting up at some sort of a craft fair and got really excited until my common sense kicked in and realized that she is in California, and with me being in Pennsylvania that would hardly be a practical option... Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could see some of these beautiful hair toys in person before buying them, just to experiment and find the right size? (Her African Butterfly Combs are beautiful, but for something like a Flexi-eight, that would've been excellent. And then you wouldn't have to pay shipping! Anyways, end of tangent :soapbox:). I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about shipping! I'm not in any huge hurry to buy a clip, so I might wait a little bit and see if she has any sales or free shipping on available stock before spending too much money (cue the college student blues...:violin:)

Groovy Granny
February 23rd, 2018, 08:54 PM
Thanks! I signed up for the promotion notification thing! I looked through her FaceBook page, and you're right; she totally does sales several times a year. I saw that she was setting up at some sort of a craft fair and got really excited until my common sense kicked in and realized that she is in California, and with me being in Pennsylvania that would hardly be a practical option... Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could see some of these beautiful hair toys in person before buying them, just to experiment and find the right size? (Her African Butterfly Combs are beautiful, but for something like a Flexi-eight, that would've been excellent. And then you wouldn't have to pay shipping! Anyways, end of tangent :soapbox:). I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about shipping! I'm not in any huge hurry to buy a clip, so I might wait a little bit and see if she has any sales or free shipping on available stock before spending too much money (cue the college student blues...:violin:)

Oh good...the deals help...as do the rewards once you start buying clips.

I am on a retirement pension, so I count my pennies too ;)

Having shops like those local would be very dangerous for my budget indeed :eyebrows: :p

Shorty89
February 24th, 2018, 01:23 PM
I know it took ages but here is the comb I have. The beads are a bit worn, but still in good shape. It's the 4" standard plastic one.

https://i.imgur.com/zaeEgaS.jpg

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Oh that is pretty; I love the colors...it must look awesome in your hair :)

Where did you get yours?

Shorty89
February 24th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Oh that is pretty; I love the colors...it must look awesome in your hair :)

Where did you get yours?

Your pic got me thinking...I was missing one like yours (medium size)....and I found it (and another runaway) with my hair claws :o

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30420&d=1519504486

I got it from another LHCer probably seven years ago. Unfortunately, I have outgrown it.

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I got it from another LHCer probably seven years ago. Unfortunately, I have outgrown it.

Oh...then you need to try the wire tong versions; they have plenty of room :eyebrows:

curly girl fla
February 24th, 2018, 04:04 PM
These are so pretty. I'm not familiar with them. I see how to use it over a bun, etc., but how would you use a smaller one for a partial-up do? I usually just pull the front/sides of my curly mop back with a round claw clip leaving the bulk of it down
, but would love to use something like this...somehow...

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 04:12 PM
These are so pretty. I'm not familiar with them. I see how to use it over a bun, etc., but how would you use a smaller one for a partial-up do? I usually just pull the front/sides of my curly mop back with a round claw clip leaving the bulk of it down
, but would love to use something like this...somehow...

They are perfect for that and I do that all the time with the small wire tong and plastic combs :thumbsup:
Even the mediums will hold a half up nicely.
Different Styles (https://www.africanbutterfly.com/articles.asp?ID=252) and Videos (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=african+butterfly+combs)

Shorty89
February 24th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Oh...then you need to try the wire tong versions; they have plenty of room :eyebrows:

Haha, wouldn't the wire tongs cause damage? I've used the dollar store cheap combs years ago and they weren't that hair friendly.

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Haha, wouldn't the wire tongs cause damage? I've used the dollar store cheap combs years ago and they weren't that hair friendly.

They are not the same...not even close!

These are inflexible ...double the length....and no open areas for snags.

mwallingford
February 24th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Oh good...the deals help...as do the rewards once you start buying clips.

I am on a retirement pension, so I count my pennies too ;)

Having shops like those local would be very dangerous for my budget indeed :eyebrows: :p

I'm really hoping that everything can come together to knock off a few dollars for these. They're extremely pretty, and if I had a job right now it would definitely be burning a hole in my pocket. Oh my goodness, a hair toy shop in my area would 100% bankrupt me! I have a hard enough time not buying stuff online or looking through the swap boards

Shorty89
February 24th, 2018, 05:34 PM
They are not the same...not even close!

These are inflexible ...double the length....and no open areas for snags.

I'll look into it. I used to wear my butterfly comb for log rolls a lot! I could never get them to stay with anything else.

mwallingford
February 24th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Shorty89 and Groovy Granny: Those combs are so pretty!

Groovy Granny: Would a medium in the plastic combs compare with the seven prong wire combs on the website? And (here's my stupid question of the day), do you measure your bun height wise to get the general length for these combs? As in, if your bun is three inches hight, you get a medium sized comb? I still have a lot of time before I purchase one of these lovelies, but I apparently can't let anything rest! Is the 11 prong wire comb the largest? (I'm sorry I've already asked you 10 million sizing questions for these clips! :flowers: You have the patience of a saint!)

Groovy Granny
February 24th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Shorty89 and Groovy Granny: Those combs are so pretty!

Groovy Granny: Would a medium in the plastic combs compare with the seven prong wire combs on the website? And (here's my stupid question of the day), do you measure your bun height wise to get the general length for these combs? As in, if your bun is three inches hight, you get a medium sized comb? I still have a lot of time before I purchase one of these lovelies, but I apparently can't let anything rest! Is the 11 prong wire comb the largest? (I'm sorry I've already asked you 10 million sizing questions for these clips! :flowers: You have the patience of a saint!)

Yes, they would be about the same size...however, I find the wire tong comb to be more comfy and flexible and easier to secure than the plastic.
You have to wiggle the plastic teeth together to lock it; it took practice before I could do it without catching a hair (ouch lol).

I don't think they measure bun size, just length and thickness of your hair; you can just wrap your hair around your fingers/hand and secure it and have it look great!

The wire tong combs are more versatile I think).
I can secure a bun with even a 5 wire, but the medium plastic doesn't hold a bun very well; a twist is ok or a half up.
The standard is the best for buns or longer lengths, and they do have combs for thick and extra long hair too.

The 11 wire is the largest...and a gorgeous comb that can hold lots of hair as well.
I have one and it covers my entire twist, so it makes a very secure and decorative piece :lol:

There are NO stupid questions ...an no apologies needed ; I am happy to answer as best I can.
For very specific concerns...Rachel is the best authority on them.

mwallingford
February 26th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Yes, they would be about the same size...however, I find the wire tong comb to be more comfy and flexible and easier to secure than the plastic.
You have to wiggle the plastic teeth together to lock it; it took practice before I could do it without catching a hair (ouch lol).

I don't think they measure bun size, just length and thickness of your hair; you can just wrap your hair around your fingers/hand and secure it and have it look great!

The wire tong combs are more versatile I think).
I can secure a bun with even a 5 wire, but the medium plastic doesn't hold a bun very well; a twist is ok or a half up.
The standard is the best for buns or longer lengths, and they do have combs for thick and extra long hair too.

The 11 wire is the largest...and a gorgeous comb that can hold lots of hair as well.
I have one and it covers my entire twist, so it makes a very secure and decorative piece :lol:

There are NO stupid questions ...an no apologies needed ; I am happy to answer as best I can.
For very specific concerns...Rachel is the best authority on them.

Thanks for answering again! :flower: I think the 9 or 11 prong wire comb would work best, but if all else fails, that's just another reason to experiment! When I subscribed, she sent a code for $5.00 off my first order, so I'm SUPER tempted right now. From the looks of it, that would cover shipping costs. But I think I should wait a little bit anyway, since I have a debit card that I'm only allowed to use for college purposes, and my mom is the one with the online ordering authority! (If only my birthday was a little bit sooner... June just isn't going to come fast enough!)

Groovy Granny
February 26th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Thanks for answering again! :flower: I think the 9 or 11 prong wire comb would work best, but if all else fails, that's just another reason to experiment! When I subscribed, she sent a code for $5.00 off my first order, so I'm SUPER tempted right now. From the looks of it, that would cover shipping costs. But I think I should wait a little bit anyway, since I have a debit card that I'm only allowed to use for college purposes, and my mom is the one with the online ordering authority! (If only my birthday was a little bit sooner... June just isn't going to come fast enough!)

If you are going for just twists and buns those size wires are perfect and should do you well!

If you also want to use them for half ups too then get a smaller size.

Regardless...if at any time you are not happy she will refund/exchange up to 1 year :thumbsup:

PLUS...you get rewards for posting reviews....and when you purchase the combs :eyebrows:
Combined with her sales or clearance items...you can get amazing deals at times.
* Occasionally she forgot to update the rewards on my account ....so if you don't see it....just message her ;)

mwallingford
March 2nd, 2018, 06:55 PM
If you are going for just twists and buns those size wires are perfect and should do you well!

If you also want to use them for half ups too then get a smaller size.

Regardless...if at any time you are not happy she will refund/exchange up to 1 year :thumbsup:

PLUS...you get rewards for posting reviews....and when you purchase the combs :eyebrows:
Combined with her sales or clearance items...you can get amazing deals at times.
* Occasionally she forgot to update the rewards on my account ....so if you don't see it....just message her ;)

I can hardly wait until I can afford one! :crush: I've been saving stuff on her page for DAYS (boy, do I need a hobby...(I suppose studying and taking care of my pets don't count, though Lord knows I spend enough time and money on them)). It seems like things sell out pretty quickly; most of the wire combs I added to my wishlist are already gone. Although come to think of it, that's a good thing, since it shows that lots of people like it enough to continue buying it. Those rewards and coupons will certainly be used once I get the ball rolling!

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Rachel has a Back To School Sale going on until until Sept 3 :eyebrows:

Shorty89
August 29th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a new once after work picks up again but I have no idea about colour. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, do you guys know if there is a Canadian site? I'm worried that shipping might be expensive.

lunasea
August 29th, 2018, 09:17 PM
FWIW, these things are usually too heavy for me BUT I did see this listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Hair-Accessories-Clips-Pins-Barrettes-Pony-Tail-Holder-Vintage-to-Today/132737441472?hash=item1ee7c49ec0:g:8ToAAOSwl~Vams9 D) while cruising eBay recently. Usually I see cheap knock-off versions of these on eBay but that one looks like the real thing. AND there's a flexi in that lot for good measure. A great deal for somebody.

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a new once after work picks up again but I have no idea about colour. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, do you guys know if there is a Canadian site? I'm worried that shipping might be expensive.

I just googled it and there are :thumbsup:
https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?q=african+butterfly+canada&o=APN11908&chn=1122&guid=61B212C4-0731-4BB7-94FD-6D881F9DC4DF&doi=2017-06-06&ver=22.9.4.8&prt=NSBU&geo=US&locale=en_US&trackId=direct

FWIW, these things are usually too heavy for me BUT I did see this listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Hair-Accessories-Clips-Pins-Barrettes-Pony-Tail-Holder-Vintage-to-Today/132737441472?hash=item1ee7c49ec0:g:8ToAAOSwl~Vams9 D) while cruising eBay recently. Usually I see cheap knock-off versions of these on eBay but that one looks like the real thing. AND there's a flexi in that lot for good measure. A great deal for somebody.

I have the wire combs in all sizes and have come to love the versatility of the 5 wire; very light yet secure for half ups, twists, and some buns.
But the plastic ones I never grab for because they catch in my fine silver, and I have a heck of a time locking them.
The wire combs just slide right in and snug together with no fiddling.

lunasea
August 29th, 2018, 11:35 PM
I have a 5 wire....and never wear it. It’s just too heavy. I really am dealing with a head full of spider silk.

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2018, 11:57 PM
I have a 5 wire....and never wear it. It’s just too heavy. I really am dealing with a head full of spider silk.
Awww :( I am sorry to hear that because they are so pretty and versatile.
It is a great deal for the price, especially with her sales, free shipping deals, and $4 rewards just for leaving a review :thumbsup:

deeisme
August 30th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I have a wire one and a plastic one and much prefer the wire one. It works in my hair best. I haven't used it lately and will have to remedy that in the morning.

Groovy Granny
August 30th, 2018, 02:02 AM
I have a wire one and a plastic one and much prefer the wire one. It works in my hair best. I haven't used it lately and will have to remedy that in the morning.

Happy to hear you like your wire comb :)

deeisme
August 30th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Happy to hear you like your wire comb :)

I've had mine for several years and bought them locally at a Christmas craft type sale. The online back to school sale looks very tempting.

I have a 4" plastic one and 9 tong metal one which is 3.25". When I bought mine, the 9 tong is the only metal one I remember being metal. I could be remembering incorrectly or maybe at the time that is all that particular seller had on hand.

I'm wondering if you might know if the tongs on the 5, 7, 9, and 11 metal tong combs are all the same length or if the length varies with the number of tongs?

Groovy Granny
August 30th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I've had mine for several years and bought them locally at a Christmas craft type sale. The online back to school sale looks very tempting.

I have a 4" plastic one and 9 tong metal one which is 3.25". When I bought mine, the 9 tong is the only metal one I remember being metal. I could be remembering incorrectly or maybe at the time that is all that particular seller had on hand.

I'm wondering if you might know if the tongs on the 5, 7, 9, and 11 metal tong combs are all the same length or if the length varies with the number of tongs?

They are all the same length despite the number of tongs.
I have combs with each number tongs and love them all; they provide such a variety of style options....and the colors :love:

deeisme
August 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM
They are all the same length despite the number of tongs.
I have combs with each number tongs and love them all; they provide such a variety of style options....and the colors :love:

Ok that's good to know. Thank you. Seeing the different metal tong options has me thinking about styles. I've really liked the 9 tong and think the other sizes could be great for varying style options.

Groovy Granny
August 30th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Ok that's good to know. Thank you. Seeing the different metal tong options has me thinking about styles. I've really liked the 9 tong and think the other sizes could be great for varying style options.

The 5 tong is great for half ups, twists, and some buns; the larger sizes for more hair/bigger buns/more hold etc
I have all the sizes but grab the 5 tongs the most because it works like a clip and is the most versatile for me.

deeisme
August 30th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Hmmm sounds like a 5 tong should be one of my next hair toy purchase.

Groovy Granny
August 30th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Hmmm sounds like a 5 tong should be one of my next hair toy purchase.

Rachel is very nice, and backs her products so that you are 100% happy....I know I am ;)

Hexana
June 24th, 2019, 10:27 PM
Reviving this because I wonder if these are damaging to hair or not? I am looking for some protective hair styles for layered APL hair, and these look soooooo pretty!

mwallingford
June 25th, 2019, 09:37 PM
For me personally (and my whopping sample size of two), my trusty wire one has never given me a problem even with my wimpy, fine strands. The plastic one, on the other hand, was a royal pain in the butt. I got it relatively cheap off the swap board so it isn't that big of a deal, but I couldn't even gently insert it into my hair without hearing what sounded like a rice crispies chorus of snapping shudder:

But the wire one inserts smoothly and effortlessly while holding securely, and even the takedown is a breeze. The lovely Groovy Granny is very good at descriptions and advice so maybe if she sees this she can elaborate a bit more, but if you have any more questions I'll do my best to be of service!

Welcome to the forum BTW :flowers:

Hexana
June 26th, 2019, 04:15 AM
Hi and thank you for your reply.
I was thinking of buying one of these (the african ones) , but somewhere I saw that the other ones (ez combes) are damaging to the hair. So I wasn't sure if the african ones are also.
How can I know which one (plasti or wire) would be better for me? Any tips on that? As they are not really cheap and I doubt that I could sell them further 😐

Groovy Granny
June 26th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Reviving this because I wonder if these are damaging to hair or not? I am looking for some protective hair styles for layered APL hair, and these look soooooo pretty!

For me personally (and my whopping sample size of two), my trusty wire one has never given me a problem even with my wimpy, fine strands. The plastic one, on the other hand, was a royal pain in the butt. I got it relatively cheap off the swap board so it isn't that big of a deal, but I couldn't even gently insert it into my hair without hearing what sounded like a rice crispies chorus of snapping shudder:

But the wire one inserts smoothly and effortlessly while holding securely, and even the takedown is a breeze. The lovely Groovy Granny is very good at descriptions and advice so maybe if she sees this she can elaborate a bit more, but if you have any more questions I'll do my best to be of service!

Welcome to the forum BTW

Hi and thank you for your reply.
I was thinking of buying one of these (the african ones) , but somewhere I saw that the other ones (ez combes) are damaging to the hair. So I wasn't sure if the african ones are also.
How can I know which one (plasti or wire) would be better for me? Any tips on that? As they are not really cheap and I doubt that I could sell them further ��

Hello Ladies :waving:

Welcome Hexana :)

I am so happy I saw you mention me mwallingford :heart: thank you!
My DH is very ill and will have open heart surgery in 2 weeks, so I have been super busy the past month and only pop in to lurk.

I agree....the wire combs are awesome :love:
I have quite a collection of all sizes and have never had a problem with them catching in my fine, wispy silver.

The plastic combs I DID struggle with, and had convos with Rachel (site owner) about them pinching my scalp and pulling my hair.
Those DID damage 'my' hair and hurt :headache:
She could have taken some back that were under 1 year in my hands, but I decided to gift them and kept only the wires.

The AFRICAN BUTTERFLY combs are the best quality comb around; any other versions on amazon, or dupes like 'ez combs etc' are :poop:
I tried them back in the day and as they fell out they took my hair with them....they ended up in the trash :p

Any combs you buy from Rachel at https://africanbutterfly.com/ you can return/exchange within a year.
All purchases accumulate reward points to be cashed in for discounts, in addition to her sales...and she also has a 'clearance' section'.

I love mine and highly recommend them :thumbsup: .....of course as with anything....YMMV ;)

mwallingford
June 27th, 2019, 03:57 PM
It was my pleasure GG :flowers: I'll be praying for you and your husband, I can't even begin to imagine how stressful this must be for the both of you :grouphug:

Hexana: I haven't had any experience with the EZ combs, but I've heard the same thing (damaging, snag hair, etc). I think courser hair strands would be more tolerant of the plastic combs, but I'm sure there are other factors that work into how well the combs get along with an individual's head of hair. My fine hair is very content with the wire combs but YMMV! Based on your information of 1c/M/ii, I could see either working but I would personally opt for a wire comb. I hope this is alright to add, but you are more than welcome to the plastic one that I have if you're interested; feel free to PM me if you're so inclined and we can work something out, or whatever you'd like to decide

Groovy Granny
June 27th, 2019, 04:14 PM
It was my pleasure GG :flowers: I'll be praying for you and your husband, I can't even begin to imagine how stressful this must be for the both of you :grouphug:

Yes, it IS shudder:

Thank you so much :flowers:

Hexana
June 28th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Groovy granny I wish all the best!

Mwallingford, thank you for your replies. I probably will buy one African butterfly comb, and your insight really helps. Can I just ask did you "feel" any difference in using the wire or the plastic comb? Was one more stable than the other? Did any hurt your scalp?
I would be interested in buying from you if you are not using it anymore. Which exactly do you have?

P. S. I am not sure where I have to click to send a private message (maybe I can't yet?), so I just pošte here. I hope it's Ok

Groovy Granny
June 28th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Thank you!

mwallingford
June 28th, 2019, 03:49 PM

Mwallingford, thank you for your replies. I probably will buy one African butterfly comb, and your insight really helps. Can I just ask did you "feel" any difference in using the wire or the plastic comb? Was one more stable than the other? Did any hurt your scalp?
I would be interested in buying from you if you are not using it anymore. Which exactly do you have?

P. S. I am not sure where I have to click to send a private message (maybe I can't yet?), so I just pošte here. I hope it's Ok

I'm so sorry, I just saw this on the board! But I replied to your PM :flower:

Alexandrina
September 5th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Alright, so reading mwallingford and groovy granny's testimonials on the wire combs inspired me to try one out!

I'd never had a comb of this type before, (despite seeing the drugstore copies out and around, they were really popular for a while), so thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

I purchased an 11 tong one.

https://i.imgur.com/It9sAZ7.jpg?2

Okay so the first thing I noticed was that they are WAY prettier in person than on the website. The seller's website doesn't really capture how nice the beads actually are when you see it in person.

Second thing is I really like how I can just messily throw my hair up and the combs hold it really solid while still looking like I put an effort into styling while I didn't, haha.

But I do admit it took me a number of tries to figure out how to use it... the printed instructions that were included with the product were terrible. (couldn't really tell from the pictures how/where she was inserting her hand) and I had to look up a video.
But once I figured it out, it holds really well.

As for hair damage, mostly it goes in and comes out smooth, but I will say the last two "tines" on each side are not straight, they are slightly twisted at the top, and so the little gap between the two metal pieces sometimes grabs a strand of hair.
But I was able to gently work it out without any breakage. And I think it might have been me not used to how insert it right every time yet, too, because the last few times I tried I had no issues.

I will say also the elastic is VERY tight and hard to stretch over a bun, it made flipping and inserting the second comb difficult, and the beads not lay as nice, so I had to do kind of a hair fold instead of a wrap bun.
But that might be because it is brand new, and maybe with repeated wearings the elastic will loosed up a bit? Maybe someone who has had one for a while can confirm.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I almost wish I had picked a smaller one, as now that I've tried it out, I think you could do more styles with the smaller ones. But I still like this one and will throw it into regular rotation.

Mariekeeee14
September 5th, 2019, 10:27 AM
My aunt wears one on the daily but they pull too much for my liking so I don't wear one. I tried it with a ponytail, perhaps it works for me with a french twist. I'll have to dive into my closet to find it first though:lol:

Groovy Granny
September 5th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Alright, so reading mwallingford and groovy granny's testimonials on the wire combs inspired me to try one out!

I'd never had a comb of this type before, (despite seeing the drugstore copies out and around, they were really popular for a while), so thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

Okay so the first thing I noticed was that they are WAY prettier in person than on the website. The seller's website doesn't really capture how nice the beads actually are when you see it in person.

Second thing is I really like how I can just messily throw my hair up and the combs hold it really solid while still looking like I put an effort into styling while I didn't, haha.

But I do admit it took me a number of tries to figure out how to use it... the printed instructions that were included with the product were terrible. (couldn't really tell from the pictures how/where she was inserting her hand) and I had to look up a video.

As for hair damage, mostly it goes in and comes out smooth, but I will say the last two "tines" on each side are not straight, they are slightly twisted at the top, and so the little gap between the two metal pieces sometimes grabs a strand of hair.
But I was able to gently work it out without any breakage. And I think it might have been me not used to how insert it right every time yet, too, because the last few times I tried I had no issues.

I will say also the elastic is VERY tight and hard to stretch over a bun, it made flipping and inserting the second comb difficult, and the beads not lay as nice, so I had to do kind of a hair fold instead of a wrap bun.
But that might be because it is brand new, and maybe with repeated wearings the elastic will loosed up a bit? Maybe someone who has had one for a while can confirm.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I almost wish I had picked a smaller one, as now that I've tried it out, I think you could do more styles with the smaller ones. But I still like this one and will throw it into regular rotation.
That looks fabulous on you :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you worked though all the kinks!

Did you get it from https://africanbutterfly.com/ ?

I definitely prefer the wire tong combs to the plastic combs for my hair.
The plastic is too hard to manage with my fine wispy hair and it pinched when locked because it is so chunky.
The wire tongs glide right in and have a great comfy hold!

My collection is complete, and it has been more than a year since my last buy, so I see she has a new web page.

Alexandrina
September 6th, 2019, 10:41 AM
That looks fabulous on you :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you worked though all the kinks!

Did you get it from https://africanbutterfly.com/ ?

I definitely prefer the wire tong combs to the plastic combs for my hair.
The plastic is too hard to manage with my fine wispy hair and it pinched when locked because it is so chunky.
The wire tongs glide right in and have a great comfy hold!

My collection is complete, and it has been more than a year since my last buy, so I see she has a new web page.

Thank you! And yes, since that's the one I had seen mentioned here, that's the website I used,
www.africanbutterfly.com.

Although I did see there were similar combs on etsy that looked the exact same to me.
I wonder if they have the same supplier? Tho of course I'm not an expert, (having only one comb, lol) so they could be different.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHairJeweler?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=664604661
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ButterflyHair?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=493968178&section_id=20930474

Groovy Granny
September 6th, 2019, 01:52 PM
She is not on Etsy .... and is from Murietta, CA
The clips are authentically made in South Africa https://africanbutterfly.com/pages/about-us

Sarahlabyrinth
September 6th, 2019, 02:51 PM
She is not on Etsy .... and is from Murietta, CA
The clips are authentically made in South Africa https://africanbutterfly.com/pages/about-us

Is there any way of know what size to get? My hair is long, but it does compact quite a lot.

Groovy Granny
September 6th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Is there any way of know what size to get? My hair is long, but it does compact quite a lot.

The measurements are given for each comb; I have them in every size.
I kept only the wire combs as I mentioned above...YMMV...and they can be returned up to a year from purchase
The smaller combs are for half ups, and the larger sizes for updos; you can measure your buns and twists and decide how much you want covered.

*If you sign up you get special offers, and reward points are given with each purchase for the future.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 7th, 2019, 02:45 AM
The measurements are given for each comb; I have them in every size.
I kept only the wire combs as I mentioned above...YMMV...and they can be returned up to a year from purchase
The smaller combs are for half ups, and the larger sizes for updos; you can measure your buns and twists and decide how much you want covered.

*If you sign up you get special offers, and reward points are given with each purchase for the future.

Ok - thanks for the info :)

Groovy Granny
September 7th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Ok - thanks for the info :)

:thumbsup:

For reference....you have double my head of hair if not more, mine also compacts, and I can wear an 11 wire easily.

It covers @ 2/3 of a twist on me and is very comfy and secure.

9 and 7 wires also hold buns/twists; 3 and 5 wires are more for half ups; those can slip so I sometimes snug them into half up ponytails.

They are gorgeous pieces and even DH comments when I have worn it/them :heart: ...and he rarely does ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 7th, 2019, 01:35 PM
:thumbsup:

For reference....you have double my head of hair if not more, mine also compacts, and I can wear an 11 wire easily.

It covers @ 2/3 of a twist on me and is very comfy and secure.

9 and 7 wires also hold buns/twists; 3 and 5 wires are more for half ups; those can slip so I sometimes snug them into half up ponytails.

They are gorgeous pieces and even DH comments when I have worn it/them :heart: ...and he rarely does ;)

I see you are trying to tempt me... :laugh:

Groovy Granny
September 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I see you are trying to tempt me... :laugh:

Oh of course :eyebrows:

They would look AMAZING in your gorgeous hair :agree:

KameRose
September 7th, 2019, 11:40 PM
I've been lurking on this thread and kind of ogling the concept. In fact I almost bought one last night but I didn't like anything on the african butterfly website and I really tried to like one of them! And I have to say that it is a good thing that I didn't buy any because I ran into a couple running a hair accessory booth at the Popcorn Festival, including some butterfly combs. I ended up buying one on the way in and couldn't help but pick up a second on the way out.(both nine tine ones) She was even in the process of finishing up stringing a few of them and let me look at those as well. :rolling:

Of course she thought I was kind of crazy when I declared that I wasn't interested in the plastic ones because I had read people with similar hair types found them damaging and that it was funny I was just looking at similar combs the night before.

Here is front and back pictures of them:

https://i.imgur.com/0S1GCdql.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DdrUTtbl.jpg

And of course action shots, although my camera didn't seem to know what to focus on.... :

https://i.imgur.com/XR8HmfEl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T7AbunMl.jpg

My preliminary find is that they are insanely comfortable. I am experiencing a slight ache that comes with wearing my hair in a style it's not used to but once it becomes a style I'm used to I can see these becoming a staple for me. It actually feels comfortable enough that I think I may have found something I can sleep in, which would be huge for me.

I have to say a special thank-you to you lovelies here. I would have never even considered putting something like this in my hair if it weren't for you lovelies here. They've always looked like torture devices to me until now,(granted most of them still do, but now i know some are gentle) so thank-you for opening my eyes to an entirely new facet of the hair toy world. And thank-you Alexandrina for sharing those links to the other shops on etsy, those styles seem more up my alley. I can see a purchase in my future. 🥰

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2019, 02:31 AM
They do look like torture devices, KameRose, but so pretty in your hair! They give such an elegant look. GG, you tempted me and I gave in and purchased an 11 tong metal one. I really hope I will love it and that it will become a favourite of mine :) KameRose, are you wearing a log roll under your clips? (I hope to use mine with a log roll.)

KameRose
September 8th, 2019, 06:00 AM
They do look like torture devices, KameRose, but so pretty in your hair! They give such an elegant look. GG, you tempted me and I gave in and purchased an 11 tong metal one. I really hope I will love it and that it will become a favourite of mine :) KameRose, are you wearing a log roll under your clips? (I hope to use mine with a log roll.)

Thank-you! :flower:

I was actually doing a kind of modified log roll. I think I was anyway,(I had to look it up :P) instead of wrapping all my the rest of my hair at the base of the loop I made a second loop to eat up my length and distribute my hair more evenly. But now I tried the log roll and that is much more secure, where my modified one felt pretty loose but still pretty secure but not all day hold type secure.

Groovy Granny
September 8th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Very nice :)

I am not sure if locally crafted combs differ from the authentic African combs but they look very similar :eye:

Yeah I couldn't wear the plastic combs; my hair is just too fine and wispy :shrug:

KameRose
September 8th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Thanks. :flower:

They sure do. I may have to order an authentic one just so I can compare them properly. :hmm:

Groovy Granny
September 8th, 2019, 07:46 PM

Awesome :thumbsup:

I hope you love it; I am sure it will look gorgeous in your hair :agree:

Thanks. :flower:

They sure do. I may have to order an authentic one just so I can compare them properly. :hmm:

There you go :eyebrows:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 9th, 2019, 02:31 AM
Awesome :thumbsup:

I hope you love it; I am sure it will look gorgeous in your hair :agree:

There you go :eyebrows:

I'm looking forward to trying it out. My hair is having an "I WON'T behave" week. It's too silky and won't hold an updo. The only thing taming it right now is a log roll but I find them rather dull, so a butterfly comb should liven it up.

Alexandrina
September 9th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I ran into a couple running a hair accessory booth at the Popcorn Festival, including some butterfly combs. I ended up buying one on the way in and couldn't help but pick up a second on the way out.(both nine tine ones) She was even in the process of finishing up stringing a few of them and let me look at those as well. :rolling:
Here is front and back pictures of them:

https://i.imgur.com/0S1GCdql.jpg

These are both lovely! I like how you got two very different styles. And how fun that you got to see some before they were strung, seeing that at a booth probably would have made me purchase one alone.

I gave in and purchased an 11 tong metal one. I really hope I will love it and that it will become a favourite of mine :)

Hope you get yours soon! What colors did you end up buying?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 9th, 2019, 12:19 PM
These are both lovely! I like how you got two very different styles. And how fun that you got to see some before they were strung, seeing that at a booth probably would have made me purchase one alone.

Hope you get yours soon! What colors did you end up buying?

I might make you wait and see :)

Groovy Granny
September 9th, 2019, 09:59 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it out. My hair is having an "I WON'T behave" week. It's too silky and won't hold an updo. The only thing taming it right now is a log roll but I find them rather dull, so a butterfly comb should liven it up.

I had the same type of week....actually 3.....and tangles galore = :scissors: back to WL (again :p )

But don't you do that :tmi:

It should be very pretty :popcorn:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 10th, 2019, 01:51 AM
I had the same type of week....actually 3.....and tangles galore = :scissors: back to WL (again :p )

But don't you do that :tmi:

It should be very pretty :popcorn:

Ok, I won't :p but I'm sure your hair looks beautiful at waist as well as at tailbone! The "mane" thing is that you are happy with it.

mwallingford
September 10th, 2019, 09:06 AM

https://i.imgur.com/It9sAZ7.jpg?2

That's so pretty on you Alexandrina!!! I love my wire one, but as GG mentioned, the plastic one that I have is definitely too snags-villa for me. I certainly had a learning curve to using mine as well, but it holds exceptionally well once it's in (I hope the grabbing isn't an issue for too long! I've never had that problem with a wire comb, but that sucks if it's getting in your way :( ). The elastic on mine hasn't loosened up substantially, but I'm kind of hoping that it will last longer since it hasn't. I have a nine tong wire comb and love it to pieces, but I'm not sure my hair could pull off an 11 tong as epically as you! I should really try to post pictures at some point, but I'm terrible at picture taking and uploading, so I'll probably just continue to admire you guys :crush:

Those are beautiful KameRose! That stringing process would be so interesting to watch, I can see why you bought a couple. The style looks very similar to African Butterfly Combs, and I'm glad they're working out for you!

Sarahlabyrinth, add me to the crowd of anticipators :popcorn: I can hardly wait to see which one(s?) you order(ed)

Groovy Granny
September 10th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Reading more replies I realized I never commented on the ELASTIC.

The African model is firm but is easily stretched and has a comfy/secure hold. it is still in amazing shape over a year later with no signs of wear.

Rachel has a 1 year return policy, so if ever there is an issue....just message her and send it back for an exchange :thumbsup:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 10th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Reading more replies I realized I never commented on the ELASTIC.

The African model is firm but is easily stretched and has a comfy/secure hold. it is still in amazing shape over a year later with no signs of wear.

Rachel has a 1 year return policy, so if ever there is an issue....just message her and send it back for an exchange :thumbsup:

That's good to know, GG. Your hair looks so lovely in your avatar picture :)

Groovy Granny
September 10th, 2019, 11:40 AM
That's good to know, GG. Your hair looks so lovely in your avatar picture :)

I am always happy to help with enabling :eyebrows:

Thank you :o

My hair feels amazing at this length (thicker); it is much more manageable for styling (less cobwebby :slap: ) and I can still use ALL my hair toys :heart:

mwallingford
September 10th, 2019, 12:41 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice your recent trim on one of your previous posts GG! It looks amazing on you (but as did all the other lengths too)

Groovy Granny
September 10th, 2019, 12:49 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice your recent trim on one of your previous posts GG! It looks amazing on you (but as did all the other lengths too)

Thank you :o

Sarahlabyrinth
September 13th, 2019, 09:30 AM
So, my comb arrived today :) I was shocked and so surprised that it arrived so fast - then i remembered that I am now just above Africa and not at the bottom end of the world any more! :laugh:

I found it so easy to use, very sturdily made, the elastic is so much stronger than I had anticipated and it holds like a rock and doesn't move. Nor does it snag when I remove it. It's such an interesting and striking hair decoration, I'm so glad I bought one!

Here is a log roll (first attempt at using it) and a flipped cinnabun:

https://i.imgur.com/UneY37p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NHUIASz.jpg

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2019, 09:33 AM
WOW that was fast :thud:

It didn't ship from the shop in CALIFORNIA? :hmm:
That shop gets them from Africa ....but she ships them.

It looks beautiful :love: I am happy you like it!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 13th, 2019, 09:36 AM
WOW that was fast :thud:

It didn't ship from the shop in CALIFORNIA? :hmm:
That shop gets them fro Africa then she ships them.

It looks beautiful :love: I am happy you like it!

Oh - I just assumed it came from Africa. Silly me! Lol. Well, it still didn't take long.

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Oh - I just assumed it came from Africa. Silly me! Lol. Well, it still didn't take long.

Oh ok lol; yeah that's great; you got it in the same time I get it across the Country :thud:

mwallingford
September 13th, 2019, 10:04 AM
That nestles into your hair perfectly Sarahlabyrinth! The more neutral tones will go with everything and that looks like an ideal size for you

Cg
September 13th, 2019, 10:09 AM
I didn't have any problems with the plastic ones, but the tiny beads on the wire ones very often yank out a few hairs when I remove the comb. I think this may not be a problem for those whose hair is normal and not baby-fine.

In both types, after a bun-size tipping point, I can't make them lie parallel. Top or bottom, one is sure to be wider.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 13th, 2019, 10:25 AM
I didn't have any problems with the plastic ones, but the tiny beads on the wire ones very often yank out a few hairs when I remove the comb. I think this may not be a problem for those whose hair is normal and not baby-fine.

In both types, after a bun-size tipping point, I can't make them lie parallel. Top or bottom, one is sure to be wider.

One end can be wider but you can just adjust one end or the other so they match.

I wanted something fairly neutral in colour to be more versatile.

Here's a view in sunlight - our lawn has died, we have had pretty much no rain since early July.

https://i.imgur.com/6PlxMyI.jpg

Noodle kindly helped with the photography :)

https://i.imgur.com/lLl6WiR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pU1sw8c.jpg

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2019, 10:41 AM

Was your comb from this shop? https://africanbutterfly.com/

MY hair is fine/wispy like cobwebs in spots and I have yet to snag :hmm:

However the PLASTIC combs DO catch on MY hair and I cannot use (gifted) them..... but the wire combs are a dream :heart:

Copies may differ in construction; not all combs are created equal because not all come from AFRICA, and this shop quarantees her combs.

In the past I have bought dupes in local shops and Amazon before finding Rachel and they are terrible :tmi:

One end can be wider but you can just adjust one end or the other so they match.

:agree: Just adjust it after it is put in :shrug:

Cg
September 13th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Was your comb from this shop? https://africanbutterfly.com/

.... Just adjust it after it is put in :shrug:

Yes, they are the high quality combs, and no, I can't adjust such that the blob of hair remains symmetrical enough to keep the sides parallel. Perhaps my head is just lumpy. I solve the matter by not caring, just wearing them anyway. They're too pretty never to wear.

This issue began only after classic.

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Yes, they are the high quality combs, and no, I can't adjust such that the blob of hair remains symmetrical enough to keep the sides parallel. Perhaps my head is just lumpy. I solve the matter by not caring, just wearing them anyway. They're too pretty never to wear.

This issue began only after classic.

Well I can't give input on that now, having cut back from TBL+ to WL :lol:

But so far so good for SL...and sorry to hear about your snagging issue!

They are worth the extra attention if needed IMHO...they are awesome combs....so pretty with a secure and comfy hold :love:

KameRose
September 13th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Sarahlabyrinth That comb looks stunning on you neutral, yet a hint of color, with a few blendy beads thrown in.

Groovy Granny You've mentioned dupes you've bought a couple times and now I'm very curious. Do you happen to have an old picture of those dupes? Did they *look* like the genuine article or were they more like the EZ combs or Hair Zings (https://hairzing.com/)(actually the wide wire combs (https://hairzing.com/collections/wide-tooth-combs) look pretty similar, I mean the fine wire ones (https://hairzing.com/collections/fine-tooth-wire-combs))?

Groovy Granny
September 13th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Groovy Granny You've mentioned dupes you've bought a couple times and now I'm very curious. Do you happen to have an old picture of those dupes? Did they *look* like the genuine article or were they more like the EZ combs or Hair Zings (https://hairzing.com/)(actually the wide wire combs (https://hairzing.com/collections/wide-tooth-combs) look pretty similar, I mean the fine wire ones (https://hairzing.com/collections/fine-tooth-wire-combs))?

I am glad you remembered because I already gifted them and could not :lol:

They were the EZ combs and Hairzing :thumbsup:

KameRose
September 14th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Ah, okay. Thank-you for clearing that up. That is very good information to know! Glad to know it was something that was visually distinctive. :beercheer:

Groovy Granny
September 14th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Ah, okay. Thank-you for clearing that up. That is very good information to know! Glad to know it was something that was visually distinctive. :beercheer:

You cannot compare the dupes to the AB combs....at. all. they are very flimsy and catch every strand of hair :tmi:

SL ~ I must have been composing a reply when you posted the 2nd set of pics and didn't see it until now.

LOL at kitty....and I love the color of the beads in your comb; they compliment your hair beautifully :heart:

Alexandrina
September 14th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I wanted something fairly neutral in colour to be more versatile.

Here's a view in sunlight - our lawn has died, we have had pretty much no rain since early July.

Noodle kindly helped with the photography :)

https://i.imgur.com/lLl6WiRt.jpg

Very nice! It matches your cat kinda lol. Does he ever steal your hair toys?

Alexandrina
September 14th, 2019, 03:56 PM

Hmm this is just brainstorming here, but by any chance do you have a lot of taper?

I did find in some buns that I do, since the hair by my nape is so much thicker than the ends, if I start the coil say to the right, that side will be WAY wider cause its got a fat coil pointing that way, while the opposite end of the bun does not.

That could be throwing off the combs' even-ness? Maybe you could try starting the coil straight up or down instead of twisting to one side first... or try a different bun, idk.

If none of the above applies to you then sorry you can't your comb to work the way you want :(

Sarahlabyrinth
September 15th, 2019, 02:19 AM
You cannot compare the dupes to the AB combs....at. all. they are very flimsy and catch every strand of hair :tmi:

SL ~ I must have been composing a reply when you posted the 2nd set of pics and didn't see it until now.

LOL at kitty....and I love the color of the beads in your comb; they compliment your hair beautifully :heart:

Thank you :) DH and I went out to dinner at the neighbours' house last night, I wore the comb and immediately received a compliment on how lovely my hair was looking :)

Alexandrina, my hair toys are kept in the wardrobe out of his reach, but whenever he sees my paranda he kills and disembowels it. Sometimes even when I am wearing it, which isn't the best... :laugh:

Cg
September 15th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Hmm this is just brainstorming here, but by any chance do you have a lot of taper?

I did find in some buns that I do, since the hair by my nape is so much thicker than the ends, if I start the coil say to the right, that side will be WAY wider cause its got a fat coil pointing that way, while the opposite end of the bun does not.

That could be throwing off the combs' even-ness? Maybe you could try starting the coil straight up or down instead of twisting to one side first... or try a different bun, idk.

If none of the above applies to you then sorry you can't your comb to work the way you want :(

I have no taper, always keep my hemline blunt. Perhaps there is too much hair for my pinhead. Not kidding, I really believe that might be the issue.