PDA

View Full Version : tips for dry hair that doesn't like conditioner

Furiana
November 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Conditioner, aloe, oil, etc. build up very quickly in my hair. Even one Curl Girl style CO is enough to get waxy buildup in my hair! But, my hair is dry and needs a lot of moisture. What the heck was I supposed to do? :disgust:

Well, I've finally figured out that water alone can moisturize my hair! Since my skin is too sensitive for frequent showers, I like the following tricks:

* Shell's water-scrunching method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=262#2), without conditioner
Run wet fingers through length to get it 25% damp, then wet ends under tap
Works beautifully at the sink if I don't want to shower

* Misting until lightly damp
As few as 2 spritzes for my whole head, if I need it to dry very quickly
When my hair is dry, I mist it repeatedly throughout the day. I mist until it's medium-damp, then let it dry before misting again. It takes about a day of this for my hair to return to maximum wurl.

* Smooth water into hair
Like I'm applying oil: wet hands, then smooth over length and press into ends
Favorite when my hair is already wurly. The downward motion smooths out the frizz, and then I scrunch to re-encourage the wurls.

Those are my favorites tricks, but anything will work as long as I wet my hair frequently and avoid using product: wetting it under a faucet; showering more frequently; swimming in rivers, oceans, or lakes; damp buns and braids; going hat-less in the rain..... ! :D

So, woot! My hair's much softer now! :cheese:

I hope this helps someone out. There's nothing as frustrating as dry hair that "can't" be treated!

Kirin
November 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
This is pretty interesting as I go through some of the same problems. I've noticed if after I have towel dried my hair if i twist the length up and clip it so it dries rediculously slow, my hair is soft and moisturized.

Curlsgirl
November 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I am glad you have found what works for you but I am not sure how plain 100% aloe gel can build up in your hair that quickly or no-cone conditioners if you are rinsing your hair very well. Could your hair need clarifying or something and maybe some DTs? I don't know how hard your water is but if it is very hard it could even be mineral buildup. Just an observation. I can't imagine if your hair is very dry that you couldn't benefit from some kind of moisturizing conditioner.

Tangles
November 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You sound a bit like me. My hair LOVES being wet! I'm going to try misting at some point as an alternative to conditioning.

Furiana
November 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Curlsgirl, I've been wondering about that too! I mean, aren't most conditioners formulated to make them wash out easily? I don't know why the wax in them would stay behind in my hair.

I've been told that my area has soft water. I have the same problem with bottled water, too, but maybe there are minerals that I need to remove completely before the it would have an effect?

I'm still figuring it out. :o

(The aloe does wash out with water, but it makes my hair gunky before it can compensate for the dry air around here.)

Dolly
November 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Curlsgirl, I've been wondering about that too! I mean, aren't most conditioners formulated to make them wash out easily? I don't know why the wax in them would stay behind in my hair.

I've been told that my area has soft water. I have the same problem with bottled water, too, but maybe there are minerals that I need to remove completely before the it would have an effect?

I'm still figuring it out. :o

(The aloe does wash out with water, but it makes my hair gunky before it can compensate for the dry air around here.)

Why don't you clarify, and then try using a no-cone conditioner to get some moisture, rinse well, and then follow with a vinegar rinse (with an additional little dollop of conditioner in it).

Furiana
November 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Why don't you clarify, and then try using a no-cone conditioner to get some moisture, rinse well, and then follow with a vinegar rinse (with an additional little dollop of conditioner in it).

That works for a lot of people, doesn't it! :o

Unfortunately, rinsing well doesn't remove the conditioner's wax from my hair. The vinegar leaves my hair sticky and sugary - I'm still looking for one that doesn't - but it doesn't remove the wax from my hair.

I've never added conditioner to the vinegar rinse, but I've added conditioner to other rinses. I've added it to oils, too. In all cases, I get waxy buildup with added conditioner that I don't without.

So, until I find a vinegar that removes residue like it's supposed to, I need another technique. :)

Curlsgirl
November 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
It really sounds like you may need a good clarifying with a sulfate shampoo. What you are describing doesn't sound normal to me. :shrug:

Furiana
November 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I'll try another sulfate shampoo, then. Is any type best for removing mineral buildup? (Unless I'd be clarifying something else out of my hair?)

Curlsgirl
November 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'll try another sulfate shampoo, then. Is any type best for removing mineral buildup? (Unless I'd be clarifying something else out of my hair?)

I just use any kind. Suave makes a clarifying shampoo cheap. Some people don't like to do it but I sometimes also add a tiny bit of baking soda to my shampoo. I probably add about 1/2 teaspoon to about 2 tablespoons of shampoo. I just make sure I condition after as it can be drying.

Nexxus also makes a shampoo called Aloe rid. Sally's carries the knockoff or used to. This is supposed to be good for removing mineral deposits.

I might add that a almost never do this now since I am mostly cone-free.

missy60
November 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Malibu 2000 has an excellent one that removes minerals. It is really good because it doesnt dry your hair out at all. The times I have used it my hair actually felt better afterwards. Its a one time treatment that you can get done in a salon but I just buy the pack and use it myself. http://groups.google.com/group/killerstrands/web/malibu-2000-treatment-packs-2?hl=en