PDA

View Full Version : List your hair goals for 2023

Pages : [1] 2

Bat
October 9th, 2022, 07:13 PM
bit early maybe, but here is the topic for next year! for those of you that make plans early

Updated goals here

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=155489&page=24&p=3996090&viewfull=1#post3996090

QuietVixen
October 9th, 2022, 07:32 PM
Thank you for creating the thread, Bat!
Some are of my hair goals for 2023 are (updates are posted in green):
-complete the first no trimming challenge of the year (no trimming from January 11th to June 30th,2023) (achieved)
-complete the second no trimming challenge of the year (no trimming from July 11th to December 31st,2023)
-reach hip length hair, maybe even tailbone length hair, by the end of the year(achieved hip length hair)
-wear my hair up more often and maybe learn some new updos
(I learned how to do the Disc bun, the Nessa bun and the Spock bun. I have also developed a habit of braiding my hair prior to sleep.)

shelomit
October 9th, 2022, 08:06 PM
I think it would be good for me to try and keep up with the "hairstyle of the month" thread and learn some new things. I did that a lot when I first joined LHC, but have gotten out of the habit : P

Iyashikei
October 9th, 2022, 08:35 PM
As close to waist length as possible. If I reach it, fine. If not, it'll be very close anyway so why bother.

tuanyiji
October 9th, 2022, 08:40 PM
Thanks bat, I just listed my hair goals for 2022 (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154625&page=5&p=3959139&viewfull=1#post3959139) with less than three months left, some are short-term, some are long-term which will appear here as well.

I will edit more when new year arrives, I’m sure I will change my mind about certain things but currently my goals for 2023 would be:
Love myself first, then my hair.
Do whatever I need to keep my hair as damage-free as possible and promote hair growth.
Spend less money on hair products/accessories, and invest more in healthy food instead.
Continue my no-trim/heat/elastic and bun/fingercomb/water-only hair care routine.
Learn more hairstyles and DIY more hair toys, and practice them on my mannequins first, record them on my own hair with videos and photos, make tutorials for others.
Post my first anniversary thread in June, hopefully I will have reached classic by then, I might hit mid-thigh/fingertip+ by the end of 2023, I have very short legs, I may be able to reach knee in 2024.
Change my Type to iii when my baby hairs grow long enough to be held inside my ponytail, so the circumference becomes at least 10.5cm, preferably 11-12cm by the end of the year. Trust my parent's hair DNA and reclaim my glorious thick dense hair days.
It’s okay to give up on certain things, don’t let the past drag me down.
Be as stress-free as I can, if not, force a smile.
Be a generally improved and happier person that benefits the community.
Learn more about hair science, eg, finish reading "Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair" by C. Robbins, and overcome the fear of foreign and scientific long words, look them up in the dictionary.
Trust the law of attraction and peruse Classic to Knee Length (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987), The knee-length and beyond thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031), and Floor Length and Beyond! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36118) from page 1 to end to manifest more hair growth.

Dark40
October 9th, 2022, 09:11 PM
My goals for 2023 is to reach hip length by spring.
Use products on my hair that is good for hair growth
Use less heat
Do not trim
Continue to use products that helps the health of my hair

foreveryours
October 9th, 2022, 09:14 PM
* s i x m o r e i n c h e s *

Ylva
October 10th, 2022, 08:26 AM
1. Keep growing out my natural hair and abstain from any bleaching and damage-inducing colouring.

2. Continue to lead a healthy lifestyle: nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress management.

3. Keep tracking my product usage through the use-it-up challenge and keep working through my stash. I should keep product purchases at a reasonable level.

4. Complete at least the first no-trimming challenge.

5. Accumulate as much photobleaching as possible.

6. Get rid of at least 5 cm of bleach.

I will be adding goals if something more comes to mind.

Kyamo
October 10th, 2022, 08:45 AM
Not trim until at least September.
Enjoy my hair at the length it is and not focus on waiting for it to be longer.

Length should be MBL early in 2023, and may be nearing waist by the end of the year depending on trims.

rosenester
October 10th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Grow to hip length (slowly while trimming)…

Cut off 3 inches of bleach (the plan is for seasonal trims of 1/2” or 1” but if hair is holding up may change the approach)

Continue to grow healthy hair with no bleaching, eating well, and taking multi-vitamin, fish oil edit: & vitamin D on indoor days

Grow out layers a few more inches so the shortest are —closer to BSL— edit: as close to WL as possible and easier to braid.

lapushka
October 10th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Keep maintaining my classic length well, as best I can. Sometimes it means I go a bit back in length (like 1 inch at the most short of classic), but I measure with my heart and not my ruler. I go by feel, how I feel with my length and what it needs to make me feel OK. If I don't feel OK, I risk a super short (shoulder) cut. I get wild and crazy ideas if my hair gets too long and past the point where I am comfortable with it, and that is a couple inches past classic length.

But anyway, I sometimes go shorter than classic... and that's OK! It grows right back.

My goal is to gauge classic as best I can in my trims and do my best to keep the length that I got.

LoriQ
October 10th, 2022, 01:01 PM
My hair goals for 2023 are no trimming, wash 1 time per week, be very careful how I comb it as to not break it, and eat healthy so it stops falling out.

Cardinal101
October 10th, 2022, 01:23 PM
My hair goals for 2023 are:

-- S&D only. (No trimming or cutting.)
-- Reach waist length. (I'm currently at MBL.)

GoatLady
October 10th, 2022, 03:35 PM
⁜ Hoping to reach hip length by the end of 2023.
⁜ Continue eating healthy and drinking more water (I'm really bad about drinking enough water).
⁜ Continue my quest for the perfect hair care routine for my hair type.
⁜ Only trim once a year, on National Hair Day.

Update 2-9-23: I have found a shampoo & conditioner that are working well for me. Joico Defy Damage. They are very gentle, very little scent, don't irritate my scalp, my hair needs shampooing less often, and MOST IMPORTANT I am having barely any hair fall.

baanoo
October 10th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Here are my hair goals for 2023:

- start self-trimming to maintain at TBL and grow out a bit of this U hem
- learn a few more buns
- do a nightblooming cassia treatment once every few months
- continue to grow/reshape the bangs til they’re in a style I like
- continue to take seasonal length photos

Glitch
October 10th, 2022, 05:12 PM
I should be at TBL by the end of the year or shortly after, so 2023 will basically involve tons of maintenance micro-trims until all of my hemline is solidly at TBL. That's honestly my entire goal, like possibly ever for my hair. I can't have an ultra long length because I don't think it would fit in with my lifestyle, so unless something drastically changes, next year will most likely be the last one I spend getting to where I want to be :cheer:

Which is insaaaane!! I never would have imagined me having long hair like this at all, especially when WL hair sounded like a dream to me for most of my life :p

The Lizard Wife
October 10th, 2022, 08:36 PM
My goal is just...keep growing, and try not to think about it too much.

All of my hair is one length now (well, except the bangs I'm growing out from various stages, but that doesn't count, that's practically a requirement for me), and I'm right about to bra strap/bottom of shoulder blades/mid-back abyss/what-have-you length. I have dependably average growth and no breakage issues, so that's about a half inch a month, 6 inches a year, right? So that should put me right at my waist at the end of 2023.

Unfortunately waist is when I can hopefully start being able to put it up and forget it. Fortunately, even if it doesn't feel like I'm making any progress, I know my hair is growing steadily and every month it gets just a little more comfortable to try and wrangle it, so I just have to keep reminding myself of that. And also fortunately, this time around I'm in a position where I can afford to not have my hair always contained in painful styles, and I can just have it down when I need to. I'm much better positioned for success than my first round of growing.

Reyn127
October 10th, 2022, 09:21 PM
My goal is to reach my final goal length of upper calf! It should happen by next summer if I don’t trim until then. After that, my goal will be to maintain the length and thicken up my ends. Another goal is to take more hair photos (as I usually only do it a few times per year). That’s all!

Duroniel
October 11th, 2022, 01:37 AM
My goal will probably be to get to TBL. I have no idea if that is too short of a goal for me, I might or might not need larger trims since I am growing out bleached parts and have so far had to trim much of my progress towards classic.

momof3mary
October 11th, 2022, 05:46 AM
My goals are to keep my hair this awesome brown/black color and to let it grow. The latter I usually mess myself up with. Really wanting to stick with it this go round.

wo
October 11th, 2022, 07:48 AM
If I don't mess it up with an impulsive cut, my hair should be BCL or verrrry close by the end of 2023.

My plan is to do every 6 month no trim challenge, and just do a tiny microtrim between the challenges so that my ends are staying even and thick.

vampyyri
October 11th, 2022, 08:43 AM
I'm currently in the process of learning to love my hair again, so I'm hoping that I reach that point and stop feeling so guilty about having to cut my hair. I really do miss the FTL length that I had prior to my big shed back in 2020 from losing weight too quickly, and I find myself beating myself up over it. I've recovered the thickness over the past two years... but man do I miss the length :cry:

So I suppose my goal is to love my hair again, and to grow it out/hopefully keep my newfound texture.

Joyful Mystery
October 12th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Continue on with no trims and reach hip by the end of the year.

almin
October 12th, 2022, 02:14 PM

- reach hip, maybe even TBL
- try to reduce hair loss by: taking vitamins, eating healthy, and stressing less
- buy new hair sticks (mine broke :()
- trims/s&d no more than once every 3 months

QueenElla
October 13th, 2022, 05:36 PM
I hope to reach waist length by summertime next year! Just got my first trim of 2022 a couple weeks ago and don’t plan to get another one until I reach waist. After that I’d like to get to hip length but I’m not sure if that’s reasonable to hope for by the end of ‘23. I want to focus more on my oil and scalp massage routines <3

BVU
October 13th, 2022, 06:23 PM
My 2023 goals include:

-Grow to 45"
-Get more brushes
-Cut back on S&Ds (Currently do once a month)
-Not buy 100 headscarfs only to use 3
-Learn different bun styles

Abacus
October 14th, 2022, 12:58 PM
So nice to read everyone's goals!

for me:

1. Invest in a sun hat and use it. The sun out here is really drying my hair out

2. Find 3 protective styles that I actually like and make me feel confident.

3. Protein/moisture deep condition once a month

SparkleTess
October 14th, 2022, 01:21 PM
1. Get my hair to MBL. Microtrims only.
2. Improve my French/Dutch braids on myself (they look lovely on others).
3. Actually remember to take my vitamins everyday.
4. Wear my hair up most of the time because I can go longer between washes if I am not constantly touching my hair and making it greasy.

I’m sure I’ll think of others.

lunalocks
October 14th, 2022, 05:40 PM
Well, my 2022 default plan of benign neglect did not work out so well. I have just done 2 massive S and D sessions and am a few inches shorter for it.

So the plan for 2023 is more frequent S and D, at least finger comb every day (leaving it up for a few days at a time = tangles = splits), better care in general and yes, vitamins.

blackgothicdoll
October 15th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Waist length and to perfect my routine, use up excess products and reach hair autopilot! :o

lapis_lazuli
October 16th, 2022, 07:35 PM
Having met my length goal of floor this year, my main goal for 2023 will be to maintain and thicken my ends to hopefully achieve something resembling a straight hemline. If I'm able to maximize my growth and get rid of the last 6 inches by the end of the year, I'll be very happy.

Still figuring out what kind of schedule I should microtrim on, as I've never maintained at a specific length before. I did random trims several times during 2020 when I was at calf, but I'd like to try to be more meticulous for maintaining at floor. Taking off an inch every two months seems manageable. I just have to hope I did in fact grow that much excess :lol: I guess any mistakes I can make up for on the next trim. I also had the idea of photographing my ends after each trim to see how they change over time... we'll see if I'm dedicated enough to do it though!

Some additional goals:

Take good care of my scalp. First, get on a more consistent washing schedule. Second, keep experimenting with shampoos to confirm what works best for my SD.
Obligatory "learn more styles" goal. At a minimum, one new updo and one new braid. More importantly, I need to find reliable buns to do with my Flexis and forks. They're my least-used toys and I know that would change if I had an easy, go-to bun for each of them.
Do at least one hair photoshoot. I really neglected it this year, being so busy, but want to have some fun with it again.
This one may be a stretch, but get back into collecting my sheds and creating from them. I made one shed plait and a couple locks in 2020 and would really like another braid from my longest strands now. It took a lot of time though, so I won't hold myself to it :p
(transferred from 2022 goals) Hone my braiding skills: For English types, I've only mastered up to 5 strands while something always goes wrong with my 6s and 7s; they look perfect below the shoulder, but something goes awry at the top when I'm braiding from behind. I have the same problem getting past 3 strands for French/Dutch braids. I know the motions to do them but something's wrong with my technique and they always turn out awful. I just want to be able to do the 5-strand Dutch!

GrowingGlory
October 17th, 2022, 10:16 AM
In 2023 I plan to have my hair cut in a flattering wash and wear style that will grow out gracefully.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 17th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Just continuing to maintain my current length. Gradually trimming away the last of the dye.

Ada-banana
October 17th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Reaching tailbone, attain a bigger bun and reduce breakage even more, do something about the very thin hairs around my forehead, they keep breaking

spidermom
October 17th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Just keep growing

Gwendolynn
October 17th, 2022, 12:35 PM
- Grow out more of my bleached colour
- See if nw/so improves my overall hair wellbeing (I started with the start of this year so I have almost a year of growth now to compare with the older hair)
- Attain a less stringy looking hemline
- More length!! Reaching a new milestone would be very nice
- Learn more buns/braidstyles!

lithostoic
October 17th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Would love to make it to hip! Currently a couple inches from waist.

mermaid lullaby
October 19th, 2022, 09:29 PM
Maintaing my hair but thickening up the ends a little.

mariakatija
October 23rd, 2022, 08:20 AM
Reach waist length and do 2-3 one inch trims. I don't want to grow longer until I have cut off all the old highlights I have from summer 2019. It's been over 3 years since I got them on chin length hair and they're still hanging around despite cuts lol.

WitchoftheWood
October 23rd, 2022, 08:39 AM
My goals are:
-reach TBL with only 1 trim next year of about 2"
-do more frequent oil treatments
-learn how to dutch braid better

Diana Prince
October 23rd, 2022, 11:13 AM
Let's see how this goes. I tried to make reasonable rules for myself.

• Cut only a bit every 3-4 months if I feel like it needs to – I’m using heat tools every now and then, and the only solution is to trim a bit more often (not much, but it does make a difference). I don’t want to stop using heat tools, so that’s not an option. As long as I don’t use them every week, I can maintain healthy hair and still curl it from time to time. If my hair doesn't have split ends, I will not trim.
• Wash 3 times a week – I will not try to stretch washes anymore. My scalp can’t take it.
• Take progress photos every season.
• Don’t buy too many hair products – it’s ok to have a few of the same things, but at the end of the day, I’m only one person and I go through products slowly. I don’t want to waste my money. It’s ok to buy hair toys, as long as I use them.
• Put my hair up at night and use a satin sleep bonnet – I really need to find a sleep bonnet that doesn’t break the bank and actually stays on my head throughout the night.
• Eat healthier – I’ve been slacking on this aspect of my life. Fortunately, I’ve been eating more and not less, as I’ve did in the past when I was stressed (so no hair loss because of that), but I’ve been eating too much junk food. I don’t see any changes to my hair or my skin, but healthy food is crucial for a healthy life, so I will try to not neglect that anymore.
• Restart my workout routine – slacking on this one as well. I’ll try to do 4 weight training workouts per week, but I really want to incorporate a bit of yoga in my day. I think inverted poses will help with scalp circulation, and it will also help with my (inexistent) flexibility.

EDIT:

I'm changing my first goal, since I finally accepted I have hair dysmorphia. No matter how shiny/silky my hair looks, I always find faults in it. I don't want to keep cutting it when it doesn't need to. I'll try to do the no trimming challenge, the first half, and I really hope I succeed.

Auburndreaming
October 23rd, 2022, 01:33 PM
I'd like to reach BSL by the end of 2023, I'm brushing APL and I hope it may be possible with good hair care and one small trim!

I'd also like to try to use heat less as my hair gets longer, for example having braid waves instead or using heat free curl methods more frequently 😊

blackkitty96
October 24th, 2022, 04:07 AM
I'd like to reach classic length next year and hope I can restrain myself from not trimming it.
I just like the feeling of freshly cut ends too much haha. But for now, my ends feel still pretty soft and aren't dry, so maybe I can keep them that way until I reach classic length.
Or, if they start feeling dry, I'll just trim them a teeny tiny bit, just a few millimeters, nothing more.

I also want to use up some stuff out of my hair care collection to reduce the clutter, especially products that I'm not intending to repurchase right afterwards, because if I only use up products that I'll immediately replace anyway, I'll end up with just the same amount of stuff. So I want to focus on using up non-holy grail products.

I also want to try incorporating co-washing into my routine. Not for every hair wash, because my scalp does need some thorough cleansing with shampoo at least once a week, but maybe every third hair wash or so, I'll use a co-wash to keep my hair protected.

What I want to do more as well is using a DIY hair treatment with aloe vera gel, honey and conditioner (credit goes to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yWfax9e4Ag). It's super nourishing and also a great way to use up conditioners I didn't like as much on their own lol. I used to do this treatment back in 2019 and then I forgot how much my hair loved it. So now, I want to bring it back into my routine :)

Stray_mind
October 26th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Just keep growing. Right now i am almost at shoulder length. Hopefully will reach near APL next year.

angel-baby
October 26th, 2022, 01:39 PM
*Get a trim of an inch or so every 3-4 months. It's worth losing a bit more length to have a thicker hemline and nice clean ends
*Grow out some of my shorter layers
*Oil my ends every evening before bed
*Harm reduction. Use hair masks and regular trims to keep my hair as strong and hydrated as possible in spite of bleaching
*Get my hair at least below my boobs, when pulled over my shoulders.
*Perfect my heatless curling technique
*Do something fun, like pink money pieces or opal hair!!

Demonica
October 26th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Benign neglect
Make a hair toy
Learn new bun styles
Experiment with LOC method
Experiment with shed hair

momof3mary
October 26th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Grow it out just so I can cut it back to a really short pixie just as I'm making progress. Seems to be my thing.

SeppV
October 27th, 2022, 01:08 AM
- Learn two new bun styles
- Fingercomb more, brush less
- Finding the products that work for me and sticking to them(right now I am trying out cone and sulfate free. The "no cones" will be fine, but I am curious to see how my scalp reacts to not using Head and Shoulders every week now that my scalp issues are more under control)

thatsideoflife
October 28th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Hair goal remains the same as last year, all-one-length hair at waist length. And, learn how to best take care of it!

From there, I'm thinking grow on to Classic.

sipnsun
October 28th, 2022, 02:40 PM
I should easily be at TBL by the end of 2023 even with a couple of good trims. I'll probably pause at that length and enjoy maintaining instead of growing for awhile.

Jas
October 29th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Ooh I haven't done one of these threads for a while!

Well, I reached knee and have now cut to a blunt mid thigh +. So my goals are:

1. Reach Knee again with blunt cut
2. Grow out the dye to tailbone length
3. Continue benign neglect really, keep it out of baby hands as much as possible!
4. Maybe start putting it in a plait at night so it's in one place rather than everywhere over the side of the bed ��

Finda
October 29th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Grow solidly past classic.

TatsuOni
November 21st, 2022, 05:36 AM
My goals will be:

* Continue to maintain to thicken up my ends
* Learn new hairstyles
* Variate my updos
* Regular S&D

Croww
November 21st, 2022, 06:12 AM
-no trimming 2023
-keep hair in buns and braids 24/7
-keep washing hair once a week if i can

maborosi
November 21st, 2022, 10:19 AM
My hope is to be between hip and TBL by the end of 2023. :)
And to just remember to keep my routine up!

angel-baby
November 21st, 2022, 12:35 PM
♡ Grow past BSL; grow my layers out
♡ Stretch bleaching to every 6 weeks
♡ Keep up capillary schedule/hair mask cycling
♡ Wear hair braided or up at least 5 days a week
♡ Use heat as little as possible (2x month or less)
♡ Master how to do a really good blowout when I do use heat, so it lasts for days
♡ 1-inch trims every 3 months to continue thickening my hemline while still growing my hair
♡ Take a length photo at the start of every month cuz its hard for me to see growth
♡ Stretch goal: Go to Beverly Hills and visit the George Michael salon!!

mochichichi
November 21st, 2022, 02:38 PM
• Really hoping to be at classic a year from now!
• Learn to trim my ends so I don't need to go to salons anymore
• Stretch washes to two weeks

blackfrostqueen
November 21st, 2022, 09:21 PM
- no trimming, for as long as possible
- learning new hairstyles
- maintain a routine of oil treating my ends
- from BSL to almost waist length, is my year growth goal

Fiorentina
November 22nd, 2022, 02:28 AM
My goals are:

keep growing
NO dye

KwaveT
November 22nd, 2022, 07:18 AM
My goals are:

Growing out my hair the longest it has ever been. I think it is getting close to being back to my 2019 length. I want it long enough that I can do more types of buns. Bun I use to do I don't have enough hair to do it since my 2019 haircut. Since I am transitioning from MtF I expect that the growth will be in a much lighter color. I am putting my faith on blonde hair. Your words have creative power. I am speaking it every day. From what I read on the subject anyway transmen get darker hair while transwomen get lighter hair unless they already have a light color. Mine has been jet black my whole life. Hormone changes seem to influence hair color. Only one direction for the color to go.

hekatesoteira
November 22nd, 2022, 10:03 AM
-I'd love to learn more updos that won't tug at my scalp or feel too heavy for my neck.
-I need to invest in more (safe) hair tools that'll help keep my shorter layers up.
-Growing out these bangs!!!!! I'm so tired of them.

Sunrise_runner
November 22nd, 2022, 02:49 PM
- To go from mid-back to waist length upstretched (this may be a bit over ambitious)
- To get better at french braiding my hair again. I used to be a lot better but got out of the habit of doing it and I'm very rusty at it now.
- For my hair to get long enough that I like how it looks in hair stick/hair fork hairstyles. Or at least for my hair to be long enough to be able to do some styles I like but that I can't really yet.

~MoonChild~
November 22nd, 2022, 04:25 PM
-no more heat tools

-more scalp massages

-doing oil treatments more often

-only trim when absolutely necessary

I'm cutting out chemical dyes and sticking to henna as it helps with my fine hair's condition.

Ada-banana
November 23rd, 2022, 09:11 AM
I hope to reacht tailbone, and then further on to classic.
I hope my hair will break less
Hopefully no trims needed
I would like to learn some badass hairdos, I've ordered some hair ornaments.

ArienEllariel
November 23rd, 2022, 09:41 PM
1. Wear it in braids and buns more.

2. Reach waist length.

3. Work on keeping my scalp happy so I'm less tempted to pick at it or my hair. If my scalp is itchy or has any scabby feeling bits, I go into picking/pulling mode.

paulownia
November 24th, 2022, 08:11 AM
A few modest goals;)
1. Trim less
2. Grow to MBL on dry waves.
3. Change gradually colour with herbal dyes but not henna and indigo ;)
4. Buy some hair forks and wear buns instead of braids more often.

Sunrise_runner
November 28th, 2022, 02:05 PM
What I want to do more as well is using a DIY hair treatment with aloe vera gel, honey and conditioner (credit goes to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yWfax9e4Ag). It's super nourishing and also a great way to use up conditioners I didn't like as much on their own lol. I used to do this treatment back in 2019 and then I forgot how much my hair loved it. So now, I want to bring it back into my routine :)

The treatment you're referring to was created by someone here on LHC named Snowymoon and is often referred to as an SMT, Snowymoon Moisture Treatment.

Whirly Girly
November 28th, 2022, 06:25 PM
My hair goals for 2023 are to just keep growing it longer, avoid trims and keep wearing it down more and more. :smile:

siuil
November 28th, 2022, 07:42 PM
-Down to my chin in the front, APL in the back.
-Healthy and strong.
-Improve moisturizing routine.
-No more experimenting with "cutting bangs".
-Wrap it up every night, and protect it more in general.

ArtOfNoot
November 28th, 2022, 10:31 PM
1. Reach tailbone length
2. Maintain my blunt ends
3. Learn more buns
4. Reach a color that can be maintained with deposit-only dye. (I love having colorful hair but I'm a student and don't have the energy for upkeeping anything that needs root touch ups)
5. Start S&Ding again

GoatLady
November 29th, 2022, 08:20 AM
🌺Trim only at New Years to even up my hemline.
🌺Hope to grow out to tailbone length.
🌺Refrain from buying new hair toys (or at least s-l-o-w waaaaaaay down).
🌺Continue with oiling and deep conditioning to improve my hair's texture and hydration.
🌺Be happy with my current hair length and enjoy it daily.
🌺Make more of an effort to eat healthy and take my collogen and vitamins, for optimal hair health.
🌺Drink more water (I am TERRIBLE about this).

siuil
November 29th, 2022, 12:25 PM
-Down to my chin in the front, APL in the back.
-Healthy and strong.
-Improve moisturizing routine.
-No more experimenting with "cutting bangs".
-Wrap it up every night, and protect it more in general.
I can't edit posts yet, but I'll add another bullet point:

-Stop stimming with it; pulling, twirling, etc.

sipnsun
November 29th, 2022, 12:27 PM
I hope to have another year like this one because I've had decent gains with my slow growing hair:
Eat healthy and drink plenty of water
Shampoo as needed with CO washes in between (sulfate and silicone free)
Little to no heat (I think I heat styled 4 times this year)
Oil and mask regularly
Wear up 99.9% of the time
Find a new go-to bun because I'm tired of the LWB
Try some new products since I've almost worked my way through my stash (Product ban will be lifted, yay!)

hekatesoteira
November 29th, 2022, 01:04 PM

I need to do the same! Keeping it up has helped. I need to look into some fidget jewelry.

ArienEllariel
November 29th, 2022, 03:00 PM

Ooh. Yep, that's what I have to work on as well. I bought a bunch of squishy, stretchy balls off amazon to mess with because I mess with my hair too much.

lapushka
November 29th, 2022, 04:43 PM
My trimming schedule is like every season, I give myself a compact cut (unicorn aka wolf cut) and so do layers, but my hair has grown so fast this year that I have had to do it more often. I also intermittently use Feye's just to get some length off in back. I want to keep a closer eye on this, as it gets out of hand so fast with the growth. I need to stay on top of this, and I do, but it gets sometimes hard to gauge where and when to trim. I need to be more on point with it!

ArtOfNoot
November 29th, 2022, 04:48 PM

Oop! Me too, my front ends need a BREAK

Lady Stardust
November 29th, 2022, 05:01 PM
Well excuse the pun but we need a no stimming thread :)

My daughter had a fidget spinner that I find irresistible! I recommend them.

(I don’t mean no stimming :) Just not with fragile hair!)

Aerya
November 30th, 2022, 03:01 AM
Get solidly past hip and not do any bigger chops. I should get to hip by summer, but I’m not sure if I can make it all the way to BCL - if I have good growth and don’t cut, I just might, but I’ll be happy with solid lower back.

Trimming wise I’m planning on following the half year challenges, only taking off a month’s growth tops. I’m also going to work towards a U-shaped hem again, as I cut straight across the last time and I don’t really like it.

Use more protective styling - I’ve gotten really lazy with that. This especially goes for my vacation, as that seems to be a challenge for me. I always end up damaging my hair by not keeping it out of the water and then cutting off more than usual when I get home. I don’t want to do that next year too.

Absolutely no permanent dye. I still have some toners that won’t affect my regrowth that I’m fine with using, but other than that I really need to check my impulses. If I manage to steer clear until summer, I should have a bit of natural hair that can be photobleached at the aforementioned vacation too, for some ~natural~ variation.

I’d also like to aquire more hair toys, but there aren’t really any available in my country and when ordering from abroad there’s lots of fees. My student budget can’t really swing that. But, if my side gigs end up working out, I might splurge. :)

squirrrel
November 30th, 2022, 03:06 AM
Oop! Me too, my front ends need a BREAK

Yep, it can be so calming to stroke or otherwise play with my hair (I’m also terrible for finding hairs starting to ease their way out of a braid and trying to pull them loose. Avoiding stimming with my hair would be very helpful!

mochichichi
November 30th, 2022, 05:13 PM

Keeping mine tied up all the time helped a lot with not playing with my hair throughout the day. I also really enjoy most of the things from a little fidget toy pack I got some years ago. There are marbles and toys and cubes in the pockets of my bags and jackets, ready to be stumbled upon again like stray chapsticks.

siuil
November 30th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Yep, it can be so calming to stroke or otherwise play with my hair (I’m also terrible for finding hairs starting to ease their way out of a braid and trying to pull them loose. Avoiding stimming with my hair would be very helpful!

It really is calming, isn't it? If I could find something that mimics the texture of my hair on my fingers that would help a ton.

EggLover
December 1st, 2022, 06:14 PM
My goals:

No trim for at least 6 months. I have to get some real length before I trim to even/shape.
Collagen peptides daily
Possibly drop all chemical color and just do henna glosses

JasminxCat
December 2nd, 2022, 12:30 AM
So far I can't really think of anything to change. I keep it down or in a low ponytail because that's what's most comfortable and I get to enjoy the length, I micro trim every 4-6 months since I've learned my hair does best that way, I almost always condition twice, occasional roo, and use a leave in after, don't stress about it too much, and just let it be what it is. Only goal besides from what I've already been doing is to reach hip. Slowly but surely getting there

Annssahh
December 3rd, 2022, 11:09 AM
I plan to slowly incorporate new products/practices/techniques throughout the year, and am going to make my New Year's resolution be to not go to a hairdresser for the whole year. I'll touch my ends up myself if needed, but otherwise I will not let idiots chop off multiple inches of hair. (I've only met one lady who knew the meaning of 'trim'.)

Hedwig
December 4th, 2022, 04:51 AM
In the new year I really want to stick to products that I know work for my hair (and skin) and stop experimenting with new stuff. This is also related to my new year‘s resolution of getting more serious about saving money and being more thrifty.
And I want to figure out why my hair is so prone to breakage!

Edit: Actually I also want to get back into the habit of deep conditioning at least every two weeks.

Hedera
December 4th, 2022, 10:13 AM
- Let it grow longer ;)

- Protect from the sun; put up under hats etc, especially in summer but as much as possible during the rest of the year as well.

The last few years, with tailbone-length dreadlocks that were around 7 years old, it was very easy to see how much damage the sun did.
Not only did it make the lower half of my hair dry and brittle, it also discoloured my cool-toned (and silvering) hair to a brassy reddish tone, that didn't look very good at all and clashed with the colour as it grows out of my head.

cherrymerry
December 4th, 2022, 11:45 AM
- Only trimming as little as possible every 6 months or less if possible
- Continuing to use deep treatments and oil to keep the ends soft
- As my hair gets longer I want to try more protective styles
- Hopefully reaching bra strap length before the year is over

Arcticfoxes
December 5th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Probably only one or two trims. Need my hair gently evened by someone that can actually see the back of my head, since I chopped it myself partially blind. But it can grow a bit first.

Stay away from bleach and dye (minus my deposit dye toner for already bleached ends).

Grow the full 6 inches in 2023. Give or take, considering the trims.

Happymaman
December 9th, 2022, 05:40 PM
It has taken me a while to compile my list but I'm now happy enough with it to share.

Haircare 23 Goals for 2023
1. No trimming, S&D only monthly on A's lociversary day (the 6th of the month)
2. No heat, no color, no product, no shampoo or conditioner (pure oils on tassel ends only) (these things are not a challenge for me, but a commitment nonetheless)
3. Aim for APL
4. Buns and braids 6x a week
5. Aim to use silk scrunchies, u-pins, hairsticks, bun cages, silk ribbons, etc. in place of elastics for nearly all daily styles
6. Build a hairstyle repertoire for myself and my kids. Start simple and add a style only when I feel I've thoroughly experimented with the previous style, but also move through the repertoire. Use the other styles in the repertoire so as to not forget them and continue toward mastery.
7. Wear hair in braids in silk bonnet to sleep
8. Protect hair from water in shower by actually using my shower cap
9. sometimes wear a bonnet or scarf at home when lounging with nothing to do
10. Sometimes wear headwrappings out when I'm just not feeling my style
11. 42 strokes of combing/brushing daily
12. SMP routine for sebum conditioning
13. Take monthly length photos, data/stats
14. Take photos of buns and braids as I go
15. Take MSM crystals daily
16. Moisten and oil the tassels of braids
17. Eat healthy proteins every day
18. Regular thyroid checks every 6-8 weeks to monitor as I wean myself down on my dosage from my pregnancy/postpartum dose
19. Breathwork during brushing (Square breathing) to promote circulation and reduce stress
20. Clean brushes and kit actively as needed (or no less than once a month on the 6th if it hasn't been done)
21. Inversion method 1st-6th of every month
22. Acquire a rain hat of some sort (could happen next December...)
23. Acquire a swim cap (ideally two pieces -- watertight swim cap and outer turban/wrap in quick-drying swim material)

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to stick with this, but I have an accountability partner and I'm pretty invested right now!

prov31
December 11th, 2022, 02:32 PM
Goals for 2023:
- Continue using higher-end shampoo + conditioner as it seems to make a difference for my hair
- Trim every 4 or so months to take care of splits
- Pre shampoo oil mask at least once per week (rosemary or castor / a mix)
- Keep up with inversion method 1st week of each month
- reach MBL by end of 2023 - my hair grows slowly and I'm currently just above APL, about 3-4 inches from BSL
- focus on hair health rather than just length

Ada-banana
December 12th, 2022, 12:14 PM
I also want to use up all of the stock of hair masks and other hairstuff I've been hoarding

MeganAimee
December 12th, 2022, 01:10 PM

❤️ Micro trim until my 4 inches of bleached ends are gone
❤️ Reach 38" - TBL (currently at 32" -- might not quite get there with micro trimming lol)
❤️ Continue growing out my bangs :')
❤️ Wear my hair up more & in protective styles to reduce splits

Really excited about this next year for length!!!

Kelp
December 12th, 2022, 02:32 PM
:kitten: My hair goals!

:Star: Grow my entire hemline past hip, possibly reaching BC/TBL with my longest strands.
:Star: Do. Not. Give. In. To. Teal. Dye. I swear I cave and dye it every year!
:Star: No trims! Get better scissors for S&D.
:Star: Remove current splits, and remedy past damage so that I don't see a split every time I look down.
:Star: Learn to do a really good double french braid as a daily style.
:Star: Survive the Conservation Corps without getting my hair all tangled up in shrubs and rocks.
:Star: Find some cute mermaidy hair toys!

Glitch
December 13th, 2022, 04:04 PM
I should be at TBL by the end of the year or shortly after, so 2023 will basically involve tons of maintenance micro-trims until all of my hemline is solidly at TBL. That's honestly my entire goal, like possibly ever for my hair. I can't have an ultra long length because I don't think it would fit in with my lifestyle, so unless something drastically changes, next year will most likely be the last one I spend getting to where I want to be :cheer:

Which is insaaaane!! I never would have imagined me having long hair like this at all, especially when WL hair sounded like a dream to me for most of my life :p

I reached TBL earlier than I had estimated and so I've already began my goals for next year! Micro-trimtrimtrim :) Can't wait until my hair is one length again, but for once, at my goal length!

BVU
December 13th, 2022, 05:09 PM
I reached TBL earlier than I had estimated and so I've already began my goals for next year! Micro-trimtrimtrim :) Can't wait until my hair is one length again, but for once, at my goal length!

Yay! Big congrats. :cheer:

Arcticfoxes
December 13th, 2022, 07:05 PM
-Not bleach or colour my hair (except occasional deposit pink dye on already bleached bits)

-Trim 1-2x

-Keep stretching washes

-Keep wearing it up (my scalp isnt used to it at all though so it's a transition process)

I'll hit shoulder length and then we'll see if I go beyond it and by how much ^^

Edit: just noticed I already posted this before about a week ago, totally forgot 😂

Glitch
December 13th, 2022, 07:53 PM
Yay! Big congrats. :cheer:

Thank you bunches!! :heartbeat

Dash_Strider
December 13th, 2022, 08:18 PM
My hair goals for 2023

1) Grow to MBL it will be my first time I've ever reached it.
2) If possible grow to waist
3) Avoid bleaching or dying my hair
4) No Trimming
5) Learn how to maintain and care for wavy hair

noodlehead
December 18th, 2022, 10:32 AM
- no trims before brastrap length.
- get protective habits on autopilot so i will use them even when I am unmotivated, ie. learn some easy protective updos, create an easy routine and find out how to keep hair protected while sleeping. All with the KISS-principle in mind.
- learn 3 new updos.
- use up products before buying something new.
- don't buy too many hair toys, max. 6 for the whole year.

Thegingercrown
December 18th, 2022, 05:58 PM
- Reach hip length
- Use a pre-shampoo mix of peppermint and rosemary essential oils in argan oil on my scalp then sweet almond oil or argan on the lengths.
- No trim for the first half of 2023.
- Stop putting my hair in a ponytail or leaving it down - already getting breakage from my son pulling it.

colormehappy
December 19th, 2022, 08:41 AM
First half of 2023:
- complete the no trim challenge
- keep working on figuring out and correcting health issues so I stop all the shedding
- buy a two-prong wooden fork to use for buns
- get into habit of oiling ends every day to keep them from getting that velcro feeling that makes me want to cut back to SL
- reach MBL, which might take into the second half to actually achieve

Second half:
- start the long journey of regrowing all my lost volume
- find self-trim method that works for me
- microtrim at least half my growth once a month (only once I reach MBL) to work on thickening hemline
- oil scalp with essential oil mixture to encourage regrowth once or twice a week
- grow a little past MBL

Gwendolynn
December 19th, 2022, 10:07 AM
- grow out more of the bleach
- keep the new growth healthy and happy
- grow some thickness back down after my big shed
- keep hair more up instead of only contained
- keep hair in a plait or otherwise contained at home too
- eat more consciously for my hair and overall health (also includes taking vitamin D in these dark months)

GrowingGlory
December 19th, 2022, 10:52 AM
In 2023 I will continue to practice benign neglect. I am considering a short hair cut that does not require more than to be washed, combed, parted and directed.

sarana
December 20th, 2022, 02:19 PM
-try to get beyond waist length
-or at least thicken the hemline
-olaplex once a month
-get more satin pillowcases
-try to find a hair fork

cookies
December 21st, 2022, 05:41 AM
- reach waist or beyond
- figure out what henna color I want and how to achieve it keep growing my natural color out; do not use henna
- have reliable routines to get the perfect waves or straightening effects
- no trims second half of 2023
- keep ends healthy and hydrated;learn when they need what
- keep frizz at a minimum
- buy a silk bonnet, scrunchies and some (non silk :D) sticks
- find favorite hair products or learn how to make them myself
- bonus points if I manage to thicken it a bit (not that it's thin or anything, I'm just greedy)
- reduce the tools and products I need for haircare to a minimum and get them to be as basic as possible

ETA: no longer applicable, update

KnottyMama
December 21st, 2022, 08:46 AM
-reach waist and hopefully surpass it
-find ways to style my hair without heat
-overcome my dislike of my hair being up
-learn 2 new braids
-continue once a week oil treatments and daily oiling of my ends
-no trim (1st half) challenge

SandyBottom
December 21st, 2022, 10:14 AM
- Continue micro-trimming to thicken hemline
- Work on picture taking
- Reach KL
- Stay curious so I continue to ask, investigate, experiment, and learn

BexLocks
December 26th, 2022, 11:08 AM
- reach Classic and trim to get more fullness
- buy a new sleep bonnet since my old one is getting worn out
- wear a less severe up do more often (had this on the list last year but didn't stick)
- do more frequent oil treatments and hair masks
- keep enjoying my hair

vampyyri
December 26th, 2022, 11:54 AM
So I suppose my goal is to love my hair again, and to grow it out/hopefully keep my newfound texture.

This plus getting to HL/BCL(?) a year from now by doing the no trim challenge. Still not sure what my "final" length goal is, but I'm feeling it out as I go along this journey again :D

WednesdayAddams
December 26th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Healthy length, including trims. I want to cut way down on my highlighting and just keep a few highlights here and there.

gghh
December 26th, 2022, 04:33 PM
-reach tbl by january hopefully, and then work on getting to classic by the end of the year
-get myself a bamboo pillowcase once I reach the 30 inch goal
-keep my hair in either a braid or a bun for most of the year
-stay consistent with my current routine
-stay consistent with rewarding myself for reaching the milestones I set for myself
Best of luck to everyone!!

Trizusha
December 27th, 2022, 01:24 PM
I want to improve my health overall. I came across some health issues this year, including diabetes type 2. That's why I buy SPAM!!!, take vitamins, keep a healthy diet, and exercise every day. My well-being has improved and hope, my hair growth will improve too.

Diana Prince
December 31st, 2022, 04:10 AM

• Cut only a bit every 3-4 months if I feel like it needs to – I’m using heat tools every now and then, and the only solution is to trim a bit more often (not much, but it does make a difference). I don’t want to stop using heat tools, so that’s not an option. As long as I don’t use them every week, I can maintain healthy hair and still curl it from time to time. If my hair doesn't have split ends, I will not trim.
• Wash 3 times a week – I will not try to stretch washes anymore. My scalp can’t take it.
• Don’t buy too many hair products – it’s ok to have a few of the same things, but at the end of the day, I’m only one person and I go through products slowly. I don’t want to waste my money. It’s ok to buy hair toys, as long as I use them.
• Put my hair up at night and use a satin sleep bonnet – I really need to find a sleep bonnet that doesn’t break the bank and actually stays on my head throughout the night.
• Eat healthier – I’ve been slacking on this aspect of my life. Fortunately, I’ve been eating more and not less, as I’ve did in the past when I was stressed (so no hair loss because of that), but I’ve been eating too much junk food. I don’t see any changes to my hair or my skin, but healthy food is crucial for a healthy life, so I will try to not neglect that anymore.
• Restart my workout routine – slacking on this one as well. I’ll try to do 4 weight training workouts per week, but I really want to incorporate a bit of yoga in my day. I think inverted poses will help with scalp circulation, and it will also help with my (inexistent) flexibility.

EDIT:

I'm changing my first goal, since I finally accepted I have hair dysmorphia. No matter how shiny/silky my hair looks, I always find faults in it. I don't want to keep cutting it when it doesn't need to. I'll try to do the no trimming challenge, the first half, and I really hope I succeed.

I also hope to get as close to waist length as possible. I don't want to trim more than 2 cm this year, if at all, and only after completing the first no trimming challenge. In 6 months I'll reassess my goals.

Abacus
December 31st, 2022, 10:41 AM
I honestly can't remember if I already listed my goals on this thread lol, but here goes!

1. Wrap my edges in a silk scarf while I'm at work to stop my nape hairs from rubbing on my jacket all day (I've noticed they've been breaking off!)
2. Experiment with and decide on my hair cleansing routine (water only? ACV rinse? Rhassoul clay? Mechanical cleansing? How often?)
3. Cover my hair when I'm in the sun
4. Get to MBL this year!

rozzi80
December 31st, 2022, 06:19 PM
I think that I can get to BSL by the end of the year.
Be consistent with wearing protective styles, continue no poo, keep my hair healthy.

Shorty89
December 31st, 2022, 11:56 PM
I was going to write a blog post about this but I think I'll be lazy and just post here for now. My main goal is to focus on health - fewer splits, tangles, and a thicker hemline. I know the left side has damage that I'm growing out. So...

1) Be more gentle with my hair
2) S&D regularly
3) Trim as needed. I've tried joining the no trim challenges the last couple years and I always fail because I can't stand it when my ends feel rough and bad. I'm prioritizing health over length.

I'd love to reach classic but I'm not making it a goal this year. Even if I maintain at lower TB and have healthier hair, I'll be happy.

Garnetgem
January 1st, 2023, 01:05 AM
1.Start taking extra care and wear a silk/satin bonnet to bed( i wear it loose yikes not good!)

2.S&D more often not done in a while.

3.Continue not to trim then later on start to maintain to thicken my ends (my current length is mid thigh)

4.Start scalp massages.

5.Figure out some protective styles i am not good at this but really need to think of some way to help protect it more.

Jools69
January 1st, 2023, 10:48 AM
Same previous provisional goals for 2023:

1. Reach solid tailbone.

2. Completely grow out layers.

3. Thicken ends and;

4. Oil my hair more often.

5. S and D more often.

Since starting my new career last year, I’ve been a bit lazy with my haircare (except for wearing protective styles, and washing, drying and grooming gently).

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2023, 10:52 AM
1. Micro trim, probably seasonally
2. Regular oilings
3. Always secure my hair properly before bed
4. Reach fingertip length

Aunt Rapunzel
January 1st, 2023, 12:42 PM
I've been trimming as needed, and will keep doing that - I like to keep an even hemline.
I've just reached tailbone length, so I'm hoping that I *might* reach classic by the end of the year.
Regular scalp massages.
Drink more water.
That's about it. Life has been crazy and stressful, and I want to just . . . enjoy my hair journey, so I'm not going to make a lot of "rules" or anything like that. Just the basics.

pumpkinsage
January 1st, 2023, 03:30 PM
- Use up 3 products
- Grow my bangs to chin length
- Actually wear my bonnet to sleep at night
- Put creams and oils in my hair to protect my ends

pisinoe
January 1st, 2023, 03:57 PM
1) Complete the first half of the no trim challenge so my hair can grow back closer to hip.

2) No cutting before that. Layers are forbidden.

3) Keep taking care of my hair with professional products that work best for it.

4) Keep tracking my product usage in the use-it-up challenge thread and keep using up my stash.

5) Don't buy any new hair products unless it's a product I need to replace because I ran out of and liked it enough to repurchase.

6) Take a length shot every month with the same bra so I can actually visually track the progress for fun.

7) Enjoy my hair while using A LOT of heat protection!

Mostly the same as last year, but this time actually make it back to hip!

Bri-Chan
January 1st, 2023, 04:18 PM
1. I'd like to see my unbleached hair at waist, we'll see;
2. To keep a minimalist approach to hair products;
3. To keep the routine consistent;
4. To go back to my pre-lhc trimming schedule (once every 8 months at least);
5. I would love to meet the thickness I had before (almost 1 cm more than now).

Bat
January 1st, 2023, 08:08 PM
I've locked my goals in until July regardless of I pass or fail them

BlushingRose
January 2nd, 2023, 12:36 AM
No trimming!
Stay away from any dye or bleach (already have for 6 months, loving my natural color coming in)
Keep finding ways to make my waves happier
Use up my stash of hair products
Wear my hair up as often as possible, with hair sticks or forks
Learn more protective bun/braid hair styles

finn
January 2nd, 2023, 02:27 PM
- reach hip length
- trim at the end of the year to even up my hemline (no trims until then)
- settle on a consistent wash routine (find the products and method that work best for me)
- learn more buns and rotate through different ones
- braid hair more often as layers grow out and I can do neater braids
- buy at least one more hair stick/fork
- post more on the LHC!

WitchoftheWood
January 3rd, 2023, 08:21 AM
-Learn how to trim my own hair at home
-Reach TBL with healthy ends
-Improve my French braids and learn how to do a crown braid
-Learn more fantasy & viking type hair styles
-Excercise 2x a week

Hellebore
January 3rd, 2023, 01:01 PM
1. I'm going to microtrim every month this year and do before and after comparisons. I am almost BCL when my hair is wet, which is the longest my hair has ever been. As much as I want CL (when dry) I'm okay with slowing things down to thicken up my ends and methodically remove some damage I've been combating for several years.
2. Learn a new bun. I learned the hypno bun a few years ago and I don't even bother with anything else these days. Maybe next month I'll do a style a day challenge, no hypnobuns allowed.

lunalocks
January 4th, 2023, 03:31 PM
Well, I;ve already changed up my goals. I have not trimmed for at least 6 years. 3 years ago my ends were fine and I was at knee, or just below. The covid years have been hard on me, most of the time just putting my hair up and forgetting about it - for up to 2 days. Chronic tangles resulted. I just don;t want that anymore.

I also decided that I want to wear my hair down on occasion, and with thin ends (that's what you get for being at terminal) I did not like the look. SO I did a chop (in frustration about a week before Christmas) when the ends were knotted and I no longer wanted to put up with it. I cut off about 6 inches and am back to someplace between classic and FTL. And even though I need to find my good scissors and do a decent trim, I am happier already.

Plan is to maintain here, trim off 1/4 inch every other month and be happier with my hair.

Joyful Mystery
January 4th, 2023, 05:17 PM
Continue on with no trims and reach hip by the end of the year.

I’m also not buying anything for my hair this year. Of course I’m allowing myself to repurchase products I use and am running low on.

constancev18
January 6th, 2023, 10:16 PM
No trims
Wear hair up/protect ends for a yr
Stretch dying grey from every 4 wks to 8wks (at least)
Drink at least 80 oz of water daily
Exercise
DC monthly
Add 4 inches evenly

Arciela
January 8th, 2023, 10:09 AM
No buying new products (except brushes if they break)
Wash less
Grow out bangs
Make a decision to cut my hair like Samantha Carter from Stargate or Milana Vayntrub. I get so many compliments on how nice I look with those hair styles...plus with my illness it would make life eaiser haha.
Use up every product I own, until I'm down to my staple products.

Bat
February 1st, 2023, 11:59 PM
bit early maybe, but here is the topic for next year! for those of you that make plans early

so far mine will be

No Trims for 6 months first half
If I succeed I'll decide in July if I will keep going with the full year
If I fail the first half I'll trim the back and then aim for a one length Bob
grow out sides and bangs
Stay away from black dye
Stick with Neon Dyes.
Bleach roots every 2 Months or wait longer in between if possible
Continue doing Use it up challenges
Stay on top of my time-lapse project

Locking in these goals now until July C:

Monthly Update!

1 No Trims for 6 months first half ( failed)
1.2 If I succeed I'll decide in July if I will keep going with the full year ( not applicable)
2 If I fail the first half I'll trim the back and then aim for a one length Bob (In progress)
3 grow out sides and bangs (In progress)
4 Stay away from black dye (failed)
5 Stick with Neon Dyes ( not allowed now until I move out)
6 Bleach roots every 2 Months or wait longer in between if possible (failed)
7 Continue doing Use it up challenges (In progress)
6 Stay on top of my time-lapse project (in progress)

elfynity
February 2nd, 2023, 01:26 PM
I have one goal this year : to reach WL with a straight, full hemline. (side note, spend more time on here to stay inspired)

momof3mary
February 2nd, 2023, 01:50 PM
My hair goal for this year is simple, just to leave it alone. No trimming, shaving, dying, or in anyway messing with it. Just wash my hair and let it be. So far I'm doing good, hopefully the next 10-11 months I will continue to do good.

NightSister
February 2nd, 2023, 03:33 PM
I have a goal of 2 trims this year. i would like to go to a hairdresser so I can have a slightly layered hem. Should give my thin/fine hair a boost!

Abacus
February 2nd, 2023, 03:38 PM
My hair goal for this year is simple, just to leave it alone. No trimming, shaving, dying, or in anyway messing with it. Just wash my hair and let it be. So far I'm doing good, hopefully the next 10-11 months I will continue to do good.

What a great goal!

mochichichi
February 2nd, 2023, 06:45 PM

I think it's pretty likely I'll hit classic before the year is up. I'm a little closer than I realized. I normally only trim once a year (and I joined the no trims challenge for the year too) but I'm considering maintaining at classic for a bit of thickening. I haven't decided if that should be in the form of growing the whole year and then getting an extra big trim next January or starting microtrims once I get there. TBD.

Lady Stardust
February 3rd, 2023, 03:57 AM
- My focus is to maintain at MBL during 2023. Around 4-5 inches of my hair has a different texture, it is stringy and looks damaged. I would like to trim that out, which might also mean the former face framing layers will catch up with the length of my hair.
- Do not cut more than an inch at a time! I think I’m in huge danger of chopping too much this year and I don’t think that would be the right decision. The ends are not as thick as I would like, but they’re not terrible. If I cut back, only the faster growing hair/racers will reach longer lengths. When I maintain, some hair is already there so any hair that catches up will add to those and make it thicker.
- Plait hair before washing as this virtually eliminates tangles for me.
- Continue with babassu oiling pre wash and flaxseed gel post wash
- Maintain a fringe, maybe grow it slightly for the summer. The variation does me good.
- To avoid a chop, it’s important that I wear my hair up so I can forget about it, with a spiral stick or a curved fork and scarf, as those are the most comfortable options. I should wear earrings and hair flowers or scarves if I want to make it look different.

momof3mary
February 3rd, 2023, 08:01 PM
What a great goal!

Thank ya!! It'll probably be a struggle for me, but I've been constantly messing with my hair since 2011 and I'm kind of tired of worrying about it honestly. To do nothing is the only thing I haven't tried for an extended period.

stardust lady
February 3rd, 2023, 08:41 PM
My main goal this year is to stop researching and purchasing new products. In the last year I bought like 12 different shampoos (was troubleshooting scalp problems), 4 conditioners, 7 leave-ins, and a number of various masks and treatments.

My hair has improved a lot and is beginning to look and feel more like it did when I was a teenager (now mid-30s and for the last decade it's looked like straw). I think I find it fun to research and experiment, but things are "good enough" right now, and I don't want to keep chasing perfection and spending money I shouldn't be. I'd rather focus on enjoying the products I have now, and the process of continuing to grow.

That being said, I'm hanging onto my list of things to try once my stash runs out...

Bat
February 4th, 2023, 04:47 AM
Thank ya!! It'll probably be a struggle for me, but I've been constantly messing with my hair since 2011 and I'm kind of tired of worrying about it honestly. To do nothing is the only thing I haven't tried for an extended period.

Can relate I've been dying my hair since my teenage years

gghh
February 4th, 2023, 10:21 AM
-reach tbl by january hopefully, and then work on getting to classic by the end of the year
-get myself a bamboo pillowcase once I reach the 30 inch goal
-keep my hair in either a braid or a bun for most of the year
-stay consistent with my current routine
-stay consistent with rewarding myself for reaching the milestones I set for myself
Best of luck to everyone!!

I did reach tailbone last month :))). Though I don’t know what rewarding myself for milestones would look like :’). I should be more specific but I don’t know what to give myself

elfynity
February 5th, 2023, 02:21 AM
My goals are:

Practice a little less benign neglect. I have been a little too neglectful.
Keep my ends moisturised, even if my hair doesn't look like supermodel hair.
No trimming for the first half of the year, if I go beyond WL, I will consider doing a small trim, but otherwise, I will do no trims all year. I'm sick of trimming and not gaining in length. If the scissors come out, for some unknown reason, I always cut off just a little too much. At the time it seems like such a little.
Upstyle 24/7 all year.
Daily BBB brushing.
No poo for as long as I can manage! I'm trying to follow a traditional method and only poo once a month. Of course, I will water wash every fews days, sometimes with cornstarch+water shampoo, always with conditioner down the length.
No sulphates ever again. I have very fine hair and if I use sulphates it makes my finest hairs fall out, it is hard to describe, but they are like 'down' hairs, and give me alot of thickness when they are around, so, had a major hair fall in Aug / Sept last year from a sulphate shampoo wash and lost at least a third of my hair (all the 'down' hairs), so this year, I want to grow those out again.
I've just got to surpass WL!!!!! this year, and go beyond, I'm lliterally right there!

Bat
February 5th, 2023, 03:51 AM
I'm re making my goals I've Almost failed all of them in one month so here goes

1: Complete use it up 2023
2: Maintain until one length bob achieved
3: Continue with my 666 day project
4: do NOT shave it all off again with the intention of giving up dye cause you'll fail it.
5: No more Bleach!
6:Back dye only!

LadyLongLocks
February 5th, 2023, 08:35 PM
:agree:Maintain and trim monthly all new growth (currently ankle length)
:agree:Try some new hair products since mine were discontinued
:agree:be more active online and make some tutorials for youtube
:agree:Wear my hair covered at night with bandanas, silk sleep caps etc
:agree:try to use hair toys I have ignored like flexis and forks

Emila
February 6th, 2023, 03:40 AM
:agree:Maintain and trim monthly all new growth (currently ankle length)
:agree:Try some new hair products since mine were discontinued
:agree:be more active online and make some tutorials for youtube
:agree:Wear my hair covered at night with bandanas, silk sleep caps etc
:agree:try to use hair toys I have ignored like flexis and forks

I love your YouTube channel. Your hair is SO beautiful. I want to buy myself some smaller claw clips so I can try some of your multiple claw clip bun styles. (I only have big claw clips currently)

Emila
February 6th, 2023, 03:54 AM
I can't remember if I replied to this thread yet or not.

My hair goals are
- To find out what works best for my hair or at least what doesn't. Just get somewhat closer to finding my hair routine.
- I'd really like to see less hair shedding.
- Less tangles.
- no bleaching.
- continue having fun with hairstyles
-acquire some hair accessories without spending a fortune
-dont buy oils and ingredients and get sucked into making a bunch of expensive hair "experiments" when I can get a better result for less money and less effort :p or stuff I already have.
- grow it. Or maybe a trim and thicker ends is all I can aim for this year.
- Would like less broken bits at my ends. Possibly caused by hairties on braids or by impatient brushing. :(

angel-baby
February 6th, 2023, 02:48 PM
February updates!!

♡ Grow past BSL; grow my layers out (-cut back to APL in January, no trims on the horizon until June. Maybe I'll make it?)
♡ Stretch bleaching to every 6 weeks (Completed after a total disaster where I had breakage in my crown, and decided to give up bleach at least 6 months)
♡ Keep up capillary schedule/hair mask cycling (Took a break to do K18 treatments, now back on it)
♡ Wear hair braided or up at least 5 days a week (Been good at this; I wear a French braid probably 5-6 days/week)
♡ Use heat as little as possible, 2x/month or less. (Been reasonably good at this. It's been cold so I do blowdry my hair a little, once or twice a week, but only for 5 minutes once it's mostly air dried. Then it goes into a braid to finish drying).
♡ Master how to do a really good blowout when I do use heat, so it lasts for days (Failed, I haven't work on this at all. I hate doing my own blowouts)
♡ 1-inch trims every 3 months to continue thickening my hemline while still growing my hair (On hold until my hairdresser comes back from leave. Joined the no-trimming challenge for the first half of 2023 instead)
♡ Take a length photo at the start of every month cuz its hard for me to see growth (Done!! Net growth has been....nothing. But my hair looks in better condition)
♡ Stretch goal: Go to Beverly Hills and visit the George Michael salon!! (Haven't done this yet)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 9th, 2023, 07:28 AM
I'm back to grow my hair out again after enjoying keeping it short for a few years. :) My goals for 2023 are:
- go back to washing every other day instead of every day as I have been doing.
- wear hear up at least every other day (I can't really do buns or proper protective styles yet as it's not long enough, but I can French braid, etc.)
- APL by the end of the year?

rosenester
February 9th, 2023, 11:00 AM

Cut off 3 inches of bleach (the plan is for seasonal trims of 1/2” or 1” but if hair is holding up may change the approach)

Continue to grow healthy hair with no bleaching, eating well, and taking multi-vitamin & fish oil

Grow out layers a few more inches so the shortest are closer to BSL length and easier to braid.

I am editing my goal for the layers. I want to grow them out completely, and would like to aim for WL rather than BSL for the year. Just a few more inches, and should be attainable I grew from APL to WL in a year with microtrims. My shortest layers are around APL now.

Faedog
February 9th, 2023, 02:26 PM
I have a section of hair that reaches waist-length, so my goal is to grow the rest out to the same length, and then that section of hair will be super close to hip-length.

battles
February 11th, 2023, 02:09 PM
No heat, only microtrimming. I'm hoping to be past shoulder length by the end of the year.

Whirly Girly
February 11th, 2023, 04:04 PM
Awesome hair goals, everyone. Love reading them. :heartbeat

My hair goal for Sunday, February 12, 2023, :laugh: is to wash this dirty head that hasn’t been washed in over two weeks! I should be ashamed to admit it. :p

Dry shampoo can only go so far.

SinlessThread
February 14th, 2023, 01:40 PM
My hair goal for 2023 from most important to least:

Thick ends
7/10 good curl days
Hit waist length

bluebellGA
February 15th, 2023, 04:54 PM
I'm a little late, but just getting back into hair care after a long period of benign neglect (hard emphasis on neglect).
This year I'll:
- Maintain at waist with monthly trims to thicken up hemline
- Do an Ayurvedic herb mask at least 2x a month
- Daily protective updos & silk sleep bonnet at night
- Oil ends every morning

Thegingercrown
February 15th, 2023, 06:15 PM
- Reach hip length
- Use a pre-shampoo mix of peppermint and rosemary essential oils in argan oil on my scalp then sweet almond oil or argan on the lengths.
- Stop putting my hair in a ponytail or leaving it down - already getting breakage from my son pulling it.

I am editing my list of goals. I think I may have reached hip, if not I will be reaching it soon.

New Goals:

- Reach TBL.
- Use a pre-shampoo mix of peppermint and rosemary essential oils in argan oil on my scalp then sweet almond oil or argan on the lengths. </s>
- Stop putting my hair in a ponytail or leaving it down - already getting breakage from my son pulling it

Jolaa
February 17th, 2023, 02:28 PM
In 2023 I will try:

- don't cut my hair any more (January 10th, I cut my hair very short, but I would like to have it as long as before, i.e. hip length or classic length).
- use up my stock of hair care products (really use up, not e.g. sell on ebay :grnbiggri
- still don't dye my hair
- continue scalp/length oiling

If I remember more, I'll edit this post.

ProfessorPuffin
February 18th, 2023, 04:18 PM
So by actually using my account instead of just lurking I guess I've already met 1 goal, and the rest of my list is pretty short:

Figure out what my hair actually like in terms of washing, conditioning, treatments, etc.
Learn more hairstyles
Getting to hip or TBL would be great, but I'm prioritizing eliminating damaged ends and getting a healthy hemline, so if I stay at waist, so be it.

I'd also love to make some headway on regaining some thickness that I've lost the last few years, but, uh, we'll see how that goes.

Ada-banana
February 19th, 2023, 04:57 AM
Reach tailbone!!! And learn how to keep moisture in my hair and keep my ends from breaking off.
Maybe experiment with cassia

Bat
February 20th, 2023, 10:56 PM
All my goals have failed I'm not growing this year, my goal is to limit my time here and to stop wasting time wanting to grow but not having the will to resist. I need to focus on other things and not trying to actively grow

GordonMurphella
February 21st, 2023, 04:07 AM
All my goals have failed I'm not growing this year, my goal is to limit my time here and to stop wasting time wanting to grow but not having the will to resist. I need to focus on other things and not trying to actively grow

This might indeed be the best thing for you Bat.

Bat
February 21st, 2023, 04:24 AM
This might indeed be the best thing for you Bat.

Probably so, I'm tired of stressing out over it all

Diana Prince
February 21st, 2023, 04:55 AM

EDIT:

1st goal was changed before the year began, and everything is going well. I haven't trimmed and I have no desire to do so, nor do I use heating tools anymore. I'm only blowdring on medium heat after air-drying my hair for at least an hour, and that's all I'm doing to it.

2. I wash 3-4 times a week. My scalp is feeling way better.
3. I've been doing monthly shots, so that's checked.
4. ... I, in fact, did buy many things, but I'm using them. So I try not to get discouraged by this. I'll try to be a bit more mindful this next few months.
5. I've been sleeping with my hair up in a loose bun or I've been doing heatless overnight curls. But I've started using my sleep bonnet again only the past week, hope I can maintain this habbit.
6 and 7. I need to do more about my health. My nails are so weak, I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Ylva
February 21st, 2023, 08:24 AM
6 and 7. I need to do more about my health. My nails are so weak, I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Not necessarily. I have soft, weak nails, too. They split very easily. However, I have a very healthy diet and I exercise moderately. My mom eats similarly as I do and she has very hard nails. Nails naturally harden with age, so I take it as a sign of youth that mine are soft. :grin:

mochichichi
February 21st, 2023, 11:31 AM

I think it's pretty likely I'll hit classic before the year is up. I'm a little closer than I realized. I normally only trim once a year (and I joined the no trims challenge for the year too) but I'm considering maintaining at classic for a bit of thickening. I haven't decided if that should be in the form of growing the whole year and then getting an extra big trim next January or starting microtrims once I get there. TBD.

So my updated list is:
• Grow to classic, pass it if possible!
• No trims the whole year (this is normal for me, so not anticipating this to be too difficult)
• Use my yearly trim for some additional thickening--either at/maintain classic or my usual hemline even-out
• I really like going to salons, honestly, it feels like a nice pamper day. TBD if I find a substitute and DIY trimming
• S&D one time per month (new moons)
• Solidify a routine that will keep my ends moisturized (they were suuuuuper dry during my yearly trim during New Years)
• Stretch washes to 2 weeks (in progress! first 2 week wash was this past weekend, next one beginning of March)

Diana Prince
February 21st, 2023, 01:21 PM
Not necessarily. I have soft, weak nails, too. They split very easily. However, I have a very healthy diet and I exercise moderately. My mom eats similarly as I do and she has very hard nails. Nails naturally harden with age, so I take it as a sign of youth that mine are soft. :grin:

Thank you for the reassurance! :) I never had hard nails, but mine split easier than they used to, let's say, one year ago. And my diet has been really poor. I should at least think about my health, and it's easier to mind my eating habits if I have a goal in mind.

Ada-banana
February 22nd, 2023, 11:06 AM

Oooh I never thought of it that way. My family thinks my nails are strange, because they are so weak and thin!

mermaid lullaby
February 22nd, 2023, 11:17 AM
s&d throughout the year
Learn how to do more hairstyles
Somehow, curl it or make it wavey

Bat
February 22nd, 2023, 10:38 PM
Goal of the year is to not give up the long hair dream just yet

LadyGuin
February 23rd, 2023, 07:25 AM
I have so many goals for my hair this year!

*Figure out to how manage my postpartum hair in hard water
*Learn a handful of easy updos to keep the babes from yanking my hair out of my head
*Find a hairdresser who knows how to cut layers evenly, doesn't try to convince me to cut it all off, and who can brush my hair without yanking my scalp around! I'm not sure why it's so hard to find someone who does all three of these things well but it seems to be near impossible in my neck of the woods!
*Figure out how to manage hair and exercise without damaging or tangling it
*Finally use the beautiful hair moons my husband bought me for Christmas in 2021

rosmarinus
February 23rd, 2023, 03:20 PM
• Microtrim my hair more often instead of trimming the ends too much
• Learn to do more hairstyles
• Learn more about my hair and about haircare in general
• Being several months without shampoo
• Finding out how much my hair actually grows/month in winter vs summer

No goal for the length.. it grows as much as it grows, meanwhile I just try my best to keep it healthy.

momof3mary
February 23rd, 2023, 04:50 PM
My new goal is to enjoy my hair. Just that. Wear it how I feel, and change my mind whenever. Keep it short, or let it grow. I just want to enjoy what I have.

Bat
February 23rd, 2023, 10:56 PM
My new goal is to enjoy my hair. Just that. Wear it how I feel, and change my mind whenever. Keep it short, or let it grow. I just want to enjoy what I have.

That's a great way to be

lairiel
February 24th, 2023, 06:25 PM
I'm loving reading all of these! So inspiring! Currently measuring in at 28" which after 6" is 34". This puts me at just below TBL if I grow consistently.
1. Get to 33", aka solidly TBL
2. Trim 0.5" twice to thicken my hemline a little, probably once in spring and once before a wedding I'm going to be in in August.
3. Continue wearing my hair up at least 4 days of the week + to bed.
4. Create a consistent fringe trim pattern (every time I cut it it's different lol)
5. Eat lots of eggs and good foods for my hair.
6. Learn more about which foods are good for hair and scalp health.
7. Learn at least two new updos for work and just to enjoy wearing my hair up more!
8. Take monthly length shots...hopefully haha
9. Enjoy the process and wear my hair down if I really want to some days.

momof3mary
February 25th, 2023, 06:15 AM
I keep changing my mind with my hair. It's short anyway so it's not a huge deal. I think I might not trim this summer. I need a trim along the nape, but I might just ride it out and see how I feel in August. Just out of curiosity. I'm sure I'll change my mind again though.

Ylva
February 25th, 2023, 12:30 PM
1. Keep growing out my natural hair and abstain from any bleaching and damage-inducing colouring.

2. Continue to lead a healthy lifestyle: nutrition, sleep, exercise, stress management.

3. Keep tracking my product usage through the use-it-up challenge and keep working through my stash. I should keep product purchases at a reasonable level.

We’re almost a couple of months through already so checking in…

1. Good going so far and I don’t see myself wanting to do anything like that before I’ve experienced full virgin hair for a good moment.

2. I’ve done quite well concerning the first three! Stress management is so-so.

3. Yeppers peppers.

4. Trying to hang in there until late summer.

5. Not much sun available yet but more and more each day. We only have three or so months of summer anyway.

6. Will get rid of a whole lot more, probably, later this year.

ReadingRenee
February 26th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Love that goal! That is my goal too. Im also growing it, but as it grows and starts to look thinner than I feel like it should, I want to still enjoy and value my hair, not just cut it off because it doesn't look how I think it should look.

So, my growing goal is to not trim until July and then see where I am at as far as length and condition.

Two very challenging goals! :D

Bat
February 26th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Changed my goals and they are quite firm usually I'd explain them in detail but makes me feel like I'm making excuses if they are firm and to the point and non negotiable I hope I can succeed

WednesdayAddams
February 26th, 2023, 02:57 PM
I want to see some real growth this year. And by that I mean, I want to stop abusing if and therefore having to cut accumulated growth off.

I am no longer going to highlight my hair. I am henna-ing it which tends to add strength (my experience in the past). I will keep my bangs, though.

MusicalSpoons
February 26th, 2023, 07:12 PM
Late to this, but:

- reach proper floor length
- ideally reach 72"
- clean my mirror
- take all seasonal length shots, post at least two
- regularly wear at least one new hairtoy
- maybe dye my purple streak?
- I'd also really like to reach my final length and chop back to calf this year, but we'll see how it goes and how I feel. I'll chop when the time is right.

This year has been off to an odd start with the bathtub cracking and not being able to do a full wash until the bathroom is redone. So I've had to ignore it more than usual! And then with a thermostatic shower instead of an electric one we'll have to learn how best to use it with our relatively small water tank full of water that the heat pump can't heat very hot ... so yeah, stuff to keep me on my toes where hair is concerned, I'll have to get used to the new bathroom and learn a new shower routine.

stardust lady
February 28th, 2023, 11:56 PM

I love this. It's such a joy and a relief to be content with how things are! Hair or otherwise.

Artemisa
March 23rd, 2023, 09:26 PM
Nice idea!

Mines are to grown as much as possible and keeping it healthy.

I relaxed my hair since I was 13 years old and for the first time in my life I want to get to know my real hair and take care of it.

Nefcerka
March 24th, 2023, 03:05 AM
Hair goals:
- avoid breakage
- moisturize the length more
- learn new buns and braids here
- hopefully reaching hip and tailbone (if I´m lucky)

Hair related goals:
- better manage stress and anxiety - and I find that lowering the levels of both is tremendously assisted by LHC, spending time here in this kind community soothes the soul

longmane
March 26th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Goals:
-Gentle handling when shampooing and detangling
-No trimming at all

tsuki
April 6th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Goals:
-Focus on thickening up the ends
-Touching it as little as possible
-Growing hair to waist by the end of the year (stretch goal, depends on how the ends are doing)
-Be more consistent with washing my wooden brush/bbb
-Being more content with where I am in my journey :)

ArtOfNoot
April 9th, 2023, 12:16 PM
This year I want to do a proper chop and then get back into hair oils :D

The Lizard Wife
April 9th, 2023, 09:31 PM
My goal is just...keep growing, and try not to think about it too much.

All of my hair is one length now (well, except the bangs I'm growing out from various stages, but that doesn't count, that's practically a requirement for me), and I'm right about to bra strap/bottom of shoulder blades/mid-back abyss/what-have-you length. I have dependably average growth and no breakage issues, so that's about a half inch a month, 6 inches a year, right? So that should put me right at my waist at the end of 2023.

Unfortunately waist is when I can hopefully start being able to put it up and forget it. Fortunately, even if it doesn't feel like I'm making any progress, I know my hair is growing steadily and every month it gets just a little more comfortable to try and wrangle it, so I just have to keep reminding myself of that. And also fortunately, this time around I'm in a position where I can afford to not have my hair always contained in painful styles, and I can just have it down when I need to. I'm much better positioned for success than my first round of growing.

Update: I am pleasantly surprised to find that, because I just literally did not understand how to bun for my hair the first time I was growing out (did not quite make it to waist and never made a successful--ie, comfy and solid--bun, nor did I ever find a close-enough-to-painless way to get my hair up and contained...), I did not actually need to be all the way to waist or longer to start bunning all my hair up. It's not long enough yet that I can do buns at the nape like I'd prefer, that will come later in the year. But it turns out that now that I know how my hair needs to be put up, even a bun at the crown of my head or in a high ponytail position can actually be comfortable, which I would never have dared imagined. It will be so much easier to feel serene and coast through the rest of the year with this goal now that I had assumed in October, which is exactly what I need right now for my hair journey. I hope everyone else will be fortunate with their hair goals as well! :blossom:

Joliebaby
April 10th, 2023, 02:41 AM
Pretty much keep up with the same benign neglect that I've been practicing for many years now.
Reach hip length.
Get rid of the damage from wearing a side braid with an elastic by doing S&D on the split ends.
Wearing my hair mostly in a bun.
Braiding at night? I haven't done this but I'm starting to get tangled in my hair as I turn around in the bed.
No trimming (maybe do a trim when I can do it and still be hip length?)

giraff
May 9th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Never too late to set some goals, right? :rolleyes:

- Take better care of my scalp. Take action against the flaking instead of picking and aggravating it
- Be more active on LHC.. It gives me a lot of inspiration!
- Learn more protective styles, and wear them more often
- Use up my stash before buying new products

mochichichi
May 10th, 2023, 06:56 PM
So my updated list is:
• Grow to classic, pass it if possible! [DONE]
• No trims the whole year (this is normal for me, so not anticipating this to be too difficult)
• Use my yearly trim for some additional thickening--either at/maintain classic or my usual hemline even-out
• I really like going to salons, honestly, it feels like a nice pamper day. TBD if I find a substitute and DIY trimming
• S&D one time per month (new moons) [IN PROGRESS]
• Solidify a routine that will keep my ends moisturized (they were suuuuuper dry during my yearly trim during New Years) [SUCCESS SO FAR]
• Stretch washes to 2 weeks (in progress! first 2 week wash was this past weekend, next one beginning of March)[IN PROGRESS (1.5 WEEKS)]

May check in!
I haven't 100% decided, but right now my feeling is to grow a while longer and then trim back up to classic, but keep growing.

momof3mary
May 12th, 2023, 08:33 AM
I'm just letting it grow for the rest of the year. Other than that my plan is to keep it clean and ignore it. I should be able to start using bobby pins to get bangs out of my face within the next couple of months.

Bat
May 12th, 2023, 02:08 PM
I'm working towards the hair in my signature

ArtOfNoot
May 12th, 2023, 02:19 PM
I want to hit hip and (scalp permitting) stretch my washes comfortably to every 5th day

aloewurly
May 19th, 2023, 01:04 AM
- Get to chin length.
- Not to try things I know don't agree with my scalp.
- Learn how to style my hair with little to no product so I'm not tempted to let it get too long or too short.
My scalp and my hair disagree too much about what's good for them, so I've resigned myself to a short length where I can actually keep my scalp healthy and my hair looking decent. I have narrowed the products I can use consistently without scalp problems to... shampoo without any conditioning agents (almost daily) and mineral oil to make it behave a little. So I don't think I'll ever get my hair past my armpits :violin:

dancedance
May 25th, 2023, 09:57 PM
aloewurly - I have the same problem, my scalp likes to be washed every day but my hair is healthiest when the washes get stretched out up to a week or more. One thing I used to do was shampoo my scalp gently with my hair held up and out of the water. I usually kept it in a shower cap until the end of the shower so I could maneuver this properly and then turn the water off when I was done rinsing. Of course this won't work until your hair is long enough to pull it out of the way, but it might work once you're there.

Ok, my 2023 goal is to have a shaggy/layered bob type thing that looks cute and not weird! I want to enjoy every length on the way from pixie to collarbone, which presents a challenge, because it means getting trims frequently to make sure it's in good shape with fresh layers and such, but without letting the stylist take off too much hair with each of those trims. We shall see if I am successful. :pray:

mochichichi
June 21st, 2023, 04:06 PM
So my updated list is:
• Grow to classic, pass it if possible! [DONE!]

Get to mid thigh!

• No trims the whole year (this is normal for me, so not anticipating this to be too difficult) [going well so far]
• Use my yearly trim for some additional thickening either at/maintain classic or my usual hemline even-out or back to most recent milestone
• I really like going to salons, honestly, it feels like a nice pamper day. TBD if I find a substitute and DIY trimming [Still TBD]
• S&D one time per month as needed (new moons)
• Solidify a routine that will keep my ends moisturized (they were suuuuuper dry during my yearly trim during New Years) [shea butter appears to be doing the trick, but I won't really know until my yearly trim]
• Stretch washes to 2 weeks [DONE! Maintaining it now, but have been washing every two weeks for a couple months now and so far so good. Summer may reverse this.]

Just about half way, so I thought I would update!
Updates in bold, new goals in blue!

cadaverinna
June 21st, 2023, 04:13 PM
Half of the year already but I'd still like to join this thread.

My hair goals for 2023 were to renew my highlights(done) and to make more hair-related content on Instagram and TikTok, bc I always get asked about that and always get a ton of complements. I also wanted to get back to working w online hair consultations and have 2 booked rn!!

MusicalSpoons
June 21st, 2023, 05:16 PM
Just about half way, so I thought I would update!
Updates in bold, new goals in blue! Little text is my attempt at "crossing out"

Crossing out can be done with [ s] [/s ] without the spaces :)
like so

mochichichi
June 21st, 2023, 06:43 PM
Crossing out can be done with [ s] [/s ] without the spaces :)
like so

Thanks MusicalSpoons!!

baanoo
June 21st, 2023, 07:46 PM
Here are my hair goals for 2023:

- start self-trimming to maintain at TBL and grow out a bit of this U hem
- learn a few more buns
- do a nightblooming cassia treatment once every few months
- continue to grow/reshape the bangs til they’re in a style I like
- continue to take seasonal length photos

Halfway through - let’s check in!
> start self-trimming: check!
> learn a few more buns: sort of? This is a work in progress.
> nightblooming cassia has been replaced, at least for the time being, with a commercial gloss.
> bangs reshaping is still happening 8)
> seasonal length photos reminds me that as soon as I start feeling better I need to take my summer picture!

Ylva
June 22nd, 2023, 03:42 AM

Halfway check-in from me too.

1. So far so good. I did have a phase of wanting to get clay highlights, but after my cut, the condition of my hair is so incredible that I don’t want to compromise any of it!

2. Sleep and stress are sometimes questionable and I’ve not been fasting or exercising enough. Hopefully, I’ll make improvements. This one is at 50% MAX.

3. Yeps.

4. I dropped out yesterday, so almost.

5. I guess I’m on it.

6. Got rid of about 40 cm of bleach, so done and then some. XD

Greengable
June 22nd, 2023, 06:29 AM
Hi there, my goals:

Quiting bleaching and make cassia treatments
Scalp massage everyday
Exfoliate my scalp
Oiling my ends
Microtrimming
Eat better, and add gelatine daily
Wear my hair up
Sleep with a silk foulard
Let it grow untill waist
Comb it every night (my knots are epic)
Protect it from sunlight
Oil it before swimming
And take pictures of the progress
My goddess what a work !��

rosenester
June 22nd, 2023, 09:06 AM

Continue to grow healthy hair with no bleaching, eating well, and taking multi-vitamin & fish oil

Grow out layers a few more inches so the shortest are —closer to BSL— edit: as close to WL as possible and easier to braid.

I have been maintaining this first half of the year, at 29” and removed 1 1/2” of bleach. Only gained 1/4” so indeed very slowly getting to HL :wink: Moving right along to removing those inches of bleach though! I need to grow a little faster to meet these 2 goals together, I usually grow 4-5” a year, so I may have overshot these goals betting on that 5” :shrug: still time!

3rd goal is going well, no bleaching and eating well. I seem to grow faster when I am outdoors a lot, and thinking I will take vitamin D on top of my multivitamin when I don’t get sunlight.

4th goal is going well, I have not cut the layers in the back at all, just face framing and bangs (so if these fall to the back there are some APL layers). However, if I take the hairs at the end of my part, they are a very wispy BSL. No white dots or visible splits on that layers either, Yay!

almin
June 22nd, 2023, 04:18 PM

- reach hip, maybe even TBL
- try to reduce hair loss by: taking vitamins, eating healthy, and stressing less
- buy new hair sticks (mine broke :()
- trims/s&d no more than once every 3 months

half way checking in!
- reach hip, maybe even TBL : hip reached in early january! still growing towards tailbone
- try to reduce hair loss : have been taking vitamins but not super consistently, hair loss is less noticeable though, probably from many factors
- buy new hair sticks : got a hair stick as a gift :o it's so pretty I love it so much
- trims/s&d no more than once every 3 months : been sticking to the no trim 2023 so far! have done some s&d when I felt I needed it, but haven't kept track exactly how often

i feel pretty good about my goals! here are my updated goals
- reach TBL
- no buying new products until the ones I have are used up (i bought 4 shampoos a year ago and not a single one is used up yet :( )
- learn new buns/hairstyles
- be a little more carefree with my hair sometimes, wearing it down once in a while etc
- regular moisture treatments

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2023, 07:07 AM
Late to this, but:

- ideally reach 72"
- clean my mirror
- I'd also really like to reach my final length and chop back to calf this year, but we'll see how it goes and how I feel. I'll chop when the time is right.

This year has been off to an odd start with the bathtub cracking and not being able to do a full wash until the bathroom is redone. So I've had to ignore it more than usual! And then with a thermostatic shower instead of an electric one we'll have to learn how best to use it with our relatively small water tank full of water that the heat pump can't heat very hot ... so yeah, stuff to keep me on my toes where hair is concerned, I'll have to get used to the new bathroom and learn a new shower routine.

1 and 2 are probably about the same - maybe by 72" it will look like floor length. But I trod naturally on the end of my hair in the shower which let me call floor length, mentally anyway and in my stats.
3. I forgot I set this as a goal and it has been on my mind. I've had so much else to do requiring my limited energy though.
4. So far I've taken them, not posted because the previous ones are on my old laptop and I sort of just don't want to deal with it :lol: again compounded by having so much else I *need* to do.
5. Ha, yes, although I wasn't expecting to buy new hairtoys first :laugh: but anyway, one goal achieved!
6. Not yet, but I was thinking about it recently and I think this season is probably a good time to do it.
7. On track. I've been considering trimming back to 70" when I get to 72", just to see if any of the other hairs make it any further, and I'm used to ridiculously thin ends now (and they're not actually troublesome). Or I might be done and just chop back as was the original intention - we'll see.

About the bathroom, they sent us the wrong shower to start with (which is why I thought we'd be having a thermostatic one) and we actually have a power shower instead, which isn't great for electricity use but is great for practicality! So, yay.

Aerya
June 23rd, 2023, 08:02 AM
Get solidly past hip and not do any bigger chops. I should get to hip by summer, but I’m not sure if I can make it all the way to BCL - if I have good growth and don’t cut, I just might, but I’ll be happy with solid lower back.

Trimming wise I’m planning on following the half year challenges, only taking off a month’s growth tops. I’m also going to work towards a U-shaped hem again, as I cut straight across the last time and I don’t really like it.

Use more protective styling - I’ve gotten really lazy with that. This especially goes for my vacation, as that seems to be a challenge for me. I always end up damaging my hair by not keeping it out of the water and then cutting off more than usual when I get home. I don’t want to do that next year too.

Absolutely no permanent dye. I still have some toners that won’t affect my regrowth that I’m fine with using, but other than that I really need to check my impulses. If I manage to steer clear until summer, I should have a bit of natural hair that can be photobleached at the aforementioned vacation too, for some ~natural~ variation.

I’d also like to aquire more hair toys, but there aren’t really any available in my country and when ordering from abroad there’s lots of fees. My student budget can’t really swing that. But, if my side gigs end up working out, I might splurge. :)

Half way check-in:

Had a change of heart regarding length, in which I cut back to ~BSL. Right now my plan is to grow back to waist and then I'll have to see. Between waist and hip seems to be a sweet spot for me, as my current MBL length feels too short for my taste, and my ends start to become truly bothersome around hip. I'll probably maintain around waist for a while as I get rid of bleach.

Due to my current lack of length, protective styling is difficult, and I usually just wear it in a braid.

No dye, not even "mild" toners, as I used one of those right before Christmas and it lifted my natural hair. Boo! Lesson learned - absolutely NO peroxide based dyes whatsoever. I have occasionally used some color conditioners and I will keep doing that, as they satiate my need to freshen up my hair a bit, without any risk to my natural color or my hair's integrity. Currently at 6 months with no dye, and around 9 cm of roots, yay!

KokotheHen
June 23rd, 2023, 09:48 AM
I am very late to this but:

-reach classic (Almost there! Just 2 inches away!)
-learn more bun styles
-start micro-trimming if I do reach classic to get a thicker hemline
-find a new shampoo and conditioner combo that works for me as my old ones no longer seem to work as well as they did before
-find something to fix my weird tangly ends

ReadingRenee
June 23rd, 2023, 11:29 AM
Love that goal! That is my goal too. Im also growing it, but as it grows and starts to look thinner than I feel like it should, I want to still enjoy and value my hair, not just cut it off because it doesn't look how I think it should look.

So, my growing goal is to not trim until July and then see where I am at as far as length and condition.

Two very challenging goals! :D

Well I am pleased to say that I still haven't trimmed and I don't have a trimming urge either. My mindset has gradually shifted and I am starting to see thinner delicate looking ends as beautiful too, not an immediate sign that there is something wrong and they need to be cut. One thing that has really helped is I realize my ends look straggly and extra thin when they are dry. Introducing leave in conditioner has been a game changer for me. So I am achieving my goals. 😊

My next goal for 2023 is to make it to MBL by the end of the year, even with thinner ends. About 28 inches dry. I'm currently at 25.5 inches. I have decided that I want longer hair, even if that means thin ends, and I will continue to work on my mindset that tells me only blunt thick ends are beautiful.

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2023, 11:50 AM
I am very late to this but:

-reach classic (Almost there! Just 2 inches away!)
-learn more bun styles
-start micro-trimming if I do reach classic to get a thicker hemline
-find a new shampoo and conditioner combo that works for me as my old ones no longer seem to work as well as they did before
-find something to fix my weird tangly ends

Apologies if you have already considered/done this, but in case you haven't: have you clarified recently?

KokotheHen
June 23rd, 2023, 12:14 PM
Apologies if you have already considered/done this, but in case you haven't: have you clarified recently?

I did do an apple cider vinegar rinse a few times and that didn’t help, and I also tried using a sulfate shampoo to no avail (I try to stay away from sulfates and silicones though, because my hair hates them),but I haven’t tried an actual “clarifying shampoo.” That is a good idea though, thanks!

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2023, 12:30 PM
I did do an apple cider vinegar rinse a few times and that didn’t help, and I also tried using a sulfate shampoo to no avail (I try to stay away from sulfates and silicones though, because my hair hates them),but I haven’t tried an actual “clarifying shampoo.” That is a good idea though, thanks!

Ah, ACV won't clarify, it just helps to prevent mineral buildup.

Was the sulphate shampoo you used clear or pearlescent? Clear ones are more likely to work, although they usually need to sit for a few minutes after sudsing up the whole length. If you feel a shampoo might be too harsh for your scalp (whether it's specifically marketed as clarifying or not) you can just clarify your lengths, unless the roots are feeling off as well.

I hope it helps, but if not then at least you'll know you've not overlooked a simple solution to the problems you're trying to solve :)

ReadingRenee
June 23rd, 2023, 02:36 PM

Was the sulphate shampoo you used clear or pearlescent? Clear ones are more likely to work, although they usually need to sit for a few minutes after sudsing up the whole length. If you feel a shampoo might be too harsh for your scalp (whether it's specifically marketed as clarifying or not) you can just clarify your lengths, unless the roots are feeling off as well.

I hope it helps, but if not then at least you'll know you've not overlooked a simple solution to the problems you're trying to solve :)

Random somewhat off-topic question: Is ACV good if you have hard water? Should one rinse with ACV every wash if one has hard water? I thought I would ask since you seem to have good knowledge of ACV. Thank you! :)

KokotheHen
June 23rd, 2023, 07:36 PM

I’m pretty sure it was pearlescent, thanks for the tip on using a clear one! I also didn’t let the shampoo sit for longer, which might be why it did nothing. Do you have any recommendations on good clarifying shampoos?

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2023, 07:43 PM
Random somewhat off-topic question: Is ACV good if you have hard water? Should one rinse with ACV every wash if one has hard water? I thought I would ask since you seem to have good knowledge of ACV. Thank you! :)

I'm not especially knowledgeable, I just remember this from when I was looking for alternative washing methods compatible with hard water :o

Some people swear by an ACV rinse, some people find white vinegar more effective, other people find citric acid better, and some people don't find any particular difference, especially if their hair seems to be fine with hard water. So just like everything else with haircare, the answer is whatever works best for you. Sorry I can't actually help!

Lady Stardust
June 24th, 2023, 04:38 AM
- My focus is to maintain at MBL during 2023. Around 4-5 inches of my hair has a different texture, it is stringy and looks damaged. I would like to trim that out, which might also mean the former face framing layers will catch up with the length of my hair.
- Do not cut more than an inch at a time! I think I’m in huge danger of chopping too much this year and I don’t think that would be the right decision. The ends are not as thick as I would like, but they’re not terrible. If I cut back, only the faster growing hair/racers will reach longer lengths. When I maintain, some hair is already there so any hair that catches up will add to those and make it thicker.
- Plait hair before washing as this virtually eliminates tangles for me.
- Continue with babassu oiling pre wash and flaxseed gel post wash
- Maintain a fringe, maybe grow it slightly for the summer. The variation does me good.
- To avoid a chop, it’s important that I wear my hair up so I can forget about it, with a spiral stick or a curved fork and scarf, as those are the most comfortable options. I should wear earrings and hair flowers or scarves if I want to make it look different.

Haha, oh dear :) I didn’t keep to the bolded part. I got frustrated with the thinner, damaged ends, and cut them off at the beginning of May. I trimmed a bit before that too so I probably cut around 2.5 - 3 inches.

I don’t regret it though. I’ve pretty much ignored my hair since then because it doesn’t need much. I shaped the front more too, and overall the look is stronger and thicker than it was. My hair still looks see through but I think that’s just its nature and a trim wouldn’t change it.

I don’t need to plait before washing anymore because it doesn’t get very tangled, now that most of the damage has gone. If there is damage left, it isn’t particularly noticeable and I’m not going to go looking for it.

I kept a fringe, and I haven’t grown it out yet. I think it’s working quite well as it is so will probably keep it the same for the rest of the year. I’m still using babassu oil and wearing my hair up most of the time. If I wear it down, I can enjoy it because I’m not self conscious about thin ends anymore. I have a strong, cohesive hairstyle, which is what I wanted for my 2022 goal :D

My amended goal for 2023 is to try to get back to MBL I guess, but if my ends get thin or too stringy again, I’ll trim them and just go with the flow.

ReadingRenee
June 24th, 2023, 11:06 AM
I'm not especially knowledgeable, I just remember this from when I was looking for alternative washing methods compatible with hard water :o

Some people swear by an ACV rinse, some people find white vinegar more effective, other people find citric acid better, and some people don't find any particular difference, especially if their hair seems to be fine with hard water. So just like everything else with haircare, the answer is whatever works best for you. Sorry I can't actually help!

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the info. I did some research and discovered my water isn't as hard as I thought. But, ACV still seems to make my hair better.

Haha, oh dear :) I didn’t keep to the bolded part. I got frustrated with the thinner, damaged ends, and cut them off at the beginning of May. I trimmed a bit before that too so I probably cut around 2.5 - 3 inches.

I don’t regret it though. I’ve pretty much ignored my hair since then because it doesn’t need much. I shaped the front more too, and overall the look is stronger and thicker than it was. My hair still looks see through but I think that’s just its nature and a trim wouldn’t change it.

I don’t need to plait before washing anymore because it doesn’t get very tangled, now that most of the damage has gone. If there is damage left, it isn’t particularly noticeable and I’m not going to go looking for it.

I kept a fringe, and I haven’t grown it out yet. I think it’s working quite well as it is so will probably keep it the same for the rest of the year. I’m still using babassu oil and wearing my hair up most of the time. If I wear it down, I can enjoy it because I’m not self conscious about thin ends anymore. I have a strong, cohesive hairstyle, which is what I wanted for my 2022 goal :D

My amended goal for 2023 is to try to get back to MBL I guess, but if my ends get thin or too stringy again, I’ll trim them and just go with the flow.

I have been researching oils and just came across babassu oil. I had never heard of it before. Do you find it makes a difference?

Lady Stardust
June 24th, 2023, 11:54 AM
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the info. I did some research and discovered my water isn't as hard as I thought. But, ACV still seems to make my hair better.

I have been researching oils and just came across babassu oil. I had never heard of it before. Do you find it makes a difference?

Yes, my hair tangles more I don’t use it. I put it in prewash and I don’t need conditioner to partially remove it before I use shampoo - that might be down to the particular shampoo and conditioner I use, I don’t know (Giovanni Smooth As Silk or Giovanni 50:50). The hint of oil that is left seems to add a bit of slip, and my hair feels supple.

In theory, because it’s a penetrating oil, it should protect the hair when it’s being washed. My hair takes less time to dry when I use babassu oil so that does make sense to me.

My hair is a mixture of fine and medium strands but it gets weighed down very easily. My favourite thing about using babassu oil as a prewash is that it doesn’t weigh down my hair.

cookies
June 24th, 2023, 12:21 PM
- reach waist or beyond
- figure out what henna color I want and how to achieve it keep growing my natural color out; do not use henna
- have reliable routines to get the perfect waves or straightening effects
- no trims second half of 2023
- keep ends healthy and hydrated;learn when they need what
- keep frizz at a minimum
- buy a silk bonnet, scrunchies and some (non silk :D) sticks
- find favorite hair products or learn how to make them myself
- bonus points if I manage to thicken it a bit (not that it's thin or anything, I'm just greedy)
- reduce the tools and products I need for haircare to a minimum and get them to be as basic as possible

ETA: no longer applicable, update

I had to modify mine a bit. I decided to grow my natural color out and so that means no more henna for the time being.
I'm on track for getting to waist by the end of the year. Given that hip is very close after that, if I get a growth spurt, I might even get to HL.
I still intend to not trim after my July 5th appointment. Now that I've started S&D and understanding my hair needs more, I'm confident my ends can make it through six months of no professional intervention :lol:
Speaking of hair needs, hydration is obviously not the only thing dry ends may need, as I've learned. I'm looking forward to getting the balancing act just right.
As for silk and sticks, I'll have to wait until I have the budget for such things. My hair does look wild in the mornings, not gonna lie :D But putting it up doesn't seem to change things much, whether it's a braid or a bun, it's the crown that gets all the frizz.
That being said, the overall frizz situation is better. I CO washed for the first time couple of days ago and I loved the result, but my hair is greasier about a day sooner. I did use an oil heavy conditioner for the wash though to try and combat the humidity (which worked!), so maybe this time I try a different one.

I also added a new goal - to simplify the tools and products I use as much as possible. This one occurred to me recently, inspired probably by the finger combing only and the WO threads. I imagine it would be so liberating when traveling for example! Less is more.

ReadingRenee
June 25th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Yes, my hair tangles more I don’t use it. I put it in prewash and I don’t need conditioner to partially remove it before I use shampoo - that might be down to the particular shampoo and conditioner I use, I don’t know (Giovanni Smooth As Silk or Giovanni 50:50). The hint of oil that is left seems to add a bit of slip, and my hair feels supple.

In theory, because it’s a penetrating oil, it should protect the hair when it’s being washed. My hair takes less time to dry when I use babassu oil so that does make sense to me.

My hair is a mixture of fine and medium strands but it gets weighed down very easily. My favourite thing about using babassu oil as a prewash is that it doesn’t weigh down my hair.

Thank you! I have not had luck with coconut oil as it weighs down my hair and it's a penetrating oil so I was looking for a better one. I have started experimenting with prewash oils. Thank you for sharing your experience, I will have to check babassu oil out!

Lady Stardust
June 25th, 2023, 03:30 PM
Thank you! I have not had luck with coconut oil as it weighs down my hair and it's a penetrating oil so I was looking for a better one. I have started experimenting with prewash oils. Thank you for sharing your experience, I will have to check babassu oil out!

Ah good luck, I hope you get on well with it! Coconut oil was too heavy for me too.

lapis_lazuli
July 4th, 2023, 07:12 PM
Wow. 2023 is half done. I haven't even looked at these since January...

Having met my length goal of floor this year, my main goal for 2023 will be to maintain and thicken my ends to hopefully achieve something resembling a straight hemline. If I'm able to maximize my growth and get rid of the last 6 inches by the end of the year, I'll be very happy.

Still figuring out what kind of schedule I should microtrim on, as I've never maintained at a specific length before. I did random trims several times during 2020 when I was at calf, but I'd like to try to be more meticulous for maintaining at floor. Taking off an inch every two months seems manageable. I just have to hope I did in fact grow that much excess :lol: I guess any mistakes I can make up for on the next trim. I also had the idea of photographing my ends after each trim to see how they change over time... we'll see if I'm dedicated enough to do it though!

So my hemline is still not straight, but it is symmetrical now...

I've been microtrimming about 0.5" every two months since February and taking progress pictures as well. The left and right sides are now about even and it's just the middle that's still lagging behind. I'm hoping if I keep this up to get the straight-across look by the end of the year.

Some additional goals:

Take good care of my scalp. First, get on a more consistent washing schedule. Second, keep experimenting with shampoos to confirm what works best for my SD.

YES... I actually did: double-wash Nizoral scalp-wash once per week. Hair is loose and gets wet down to APL, the rest is braided and clipped up on the curtain rod. Takes the weight off and gives me full, easy access to my scalp. Final rinse in cold water. Air-dry and blow-dry on cool.

The SD is a lot tamer now. I hardly notice it at all. If I have to use Nizoral indefinitely to maintain this, so be it.

Obligatory "learn more styles" goal. At a minimum, one new updo and one new braid. More importantly, I need to find reliable buns to do with my Flexis and forks. They're my least-used toys and I know that would change if I had an easy, go-to bun for each of them.

Still not really. I wear my one single-hairstick bun proudly :)

Do at least one hair photoshoot. I really neglected it this year, being so busy, but want to have some fun with it again.
Not yet, but maybe... soon...

This one may be a stretch, but get back into collecting my sheds and creating from them. I made one shed plait and a couple locks in 2020 and would really like another braid from my longest strands now. It took a lot of time though, so I won't hold myself to it :p

I've been collecting them... that's a start, right?

(transferred from 2022 goals) Hone my braiding skills: For English types, I've only mastered up to 5 strands while something always goes wrong with my 6s and 7s; they look perfect below the shoulder, but something goes awry at the top when I'm braiding from behind. I have the same problem getting past 3 strands for French/Dutch braids. I know the motions to do them but something's wrong with my technique and they always turn out awful. I just want to be able to do the 5-strand Dutch!

Haven't had much motivation for braiding honestly. I still want to learn the 5-strand Dutch, just not the tangles and muscle aches that come with it.

tuanyiji
July 5th, 2023, 03:02 AM
Let's do the half year review of 2023

Thanks bat, I just listed my hair goals for 2022 (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154625&page=5&p=3959139&viewfull=1#post3959139) with less than three months left, some are short-term, some are long-term which will appear here as well.

I will edit more when new year arrives, I’m sure I will change my mind about certain things but currently my goals for 2023 would be:
Love myself first, then my hair. Ah, I'm struggling with this because I have so many weird stuff going on after my unexpected unemployment since July, a lot of self-loathing going on my mind right now.
Do whatever I need to keep my hair as damage-free as possible and promote hair growth. I have to say I sometimes redo my bun more than three times a day to test the variations and that is not very good.
Spend less money on hair products/accessories, and invest more in healthy food instead. Well, I went on a shopping spree and got a lot of decorated artificial flowers and miniature bunnies for my hair, I did buy more milk though, other food is arranged by my mom.
Continue my no-trim/heat/elastic and bun/fingercomb/water-only hair care routine. I sometimes use the comb to make my hair more presentable in front of the camera so I don't need to photoshop the glaring gaps/thinning spot around my hairline.
Learn more hairstyles and DIY more hair toys, and practice them on my mannequins first, record them on my own hair with videos and photos, make tutorials for others. I filmed 20 nautilus bun varations and post them on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRnJz1hMj708vd1vnCbdcW_zqruiIUCjO) in January, but got very few feedback, discouraged, I stopped doing it, will probably pick up this project later. I have been diligently updating my daily hairstyles and flower decorated styles on instagram (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=155937).
Post my first anniversary thread in June, hopefully I will have reached classic by then, I might hit mid-thigh/fingertip+ by the end of 2023, I have very short legs, I may be able to reach knee in 2024. I did not post the anniversary thread in June because I had an internet fail from May, I could not have access to the site until recently, I don't plan to do it this year, I reached fingertip in July and is now SSS 106cm, but I'm thinking about maintaining it for a thicker hemline before I go on to knee, I'm on the two-week rule program and probably won't actually do anything to my hair for the time being except keeping it up in a bun.
Change my Type to iii when my baby hairs grow long enough to be held inside my ponytail, so the circumference becomes at least 10.5cm, preferably 11-12cm by the end of the year. Trust my parent's hair DNA and reclaim my glorious thick dense hair days. My dad had chemo in November and the whole family succumbed to COVID in December, I had a long period of recovering. In June, my pony circumference reached 10.2cm, but then my parents got COVID again and I was in a very stressful situation after my layoff so big shedding resumed, by July my pony is only 9.4cm.
It’s okay to give up on certain things, don’t let the past drag me down. Sigh. I reviewed my most depressing diary from 2016 a few days ago, right now I'm not in the darkest period of my life, but it's still very depressing.
Be as stress-free as I can, if not, force a smile. Just forced a smile
Be a generally improved and happier person that benefits the community. I tried, but I am actually reducing my social media time for better mental health.
Learn more about hair science, eg, finish reading "Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair" by C. Robbins, and overcome the fear of foreign and scientific long words, look them up in the dictionary. Failed, I did not even pick up the book.
Trust the law of attraction and peruse Classic to Knee Length (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34987), The knee-length and beyond thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031), and Floor Length and Beyond! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36118) from page 1 to end to manifest more hair growth. Failed, I rarely go on those threads, or even the forum since May, but I will try them, probably, when I am bored.

Here is my goal for the second half of 2023.

Whatever you do, remember, it can't be something that damage your hair irreversibly.

cookies
July 5th, 2023, 04:05 AM
…Hair is loose and gets wet down to APL, the rest is braided and clipped up on the curtain rod. Takes the weight off and gives me full, easy access to my scalp…

This cracked me up :lol: Such a hilariously genius idea!

kikuhoshi
July 5th, 2023, 02:27 PM
Well, finally made my 2022 goal of FTL/MT (they're millimeters off from each other so I count them as one) about a month ago.

This year, just focusing on finding a good routine for my hair as I get way, way longer & figuring out how to brush my hair by myself. I'm getting to the point where I'm about to need help from others to properly brush all of it! lol

I'd like to get significantly closer to knee by December, but my hair's pretty fragile and I don't think I will even come close for at least another year.

lapis_lazuli
July 5th, 2023, 04:16 PM
This cracked me up :lol: Such a hilariously genius idea!

Lol it works surprisingly well! :lol: I should specify this is a tension rod, not one screwed into the wall, so if I ever fell *knock on wood*, it would go down with me. I wouldn't risk it otherwise.

mochichichi
July 5th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Lol it works surprisingly well! :lol: I should specify this is a tension rod, not one screwed into the wall, so if I ever fell *knock on wood*, it would go down with me. I wouldn't risk it otherwise.

How do you clip it on?

lapis_lazuli
July 5th, 2023, 05:25 PM
How do you clip it on?

A large claw clip :)

mochichichi
July 5th, 2023, 06:05 PM
A large claw clip :)

Do you stick it through the braid and put the clip on the rod? Or like loop the braid over the rod and clip around?

lapis_lazuli
July 5th, 2023, 07:29 PM
Do you stick it through the braid and put the clip on the rod? Or like loop the braid over the rod and clip around?

I drape the braid over the rod, adjust it to the proper height, and then put the clip on. Some of the teeth go through the braid and it fits almost perfectly around the circumference of the rod.

constancev18
July 5th, 2023, 07:35 PM
I think my goal was heading to WL by 12/2023 but I'm modifying it to 80% mbl. Shrinkage is real and I try not to measure more than 1x every 3 mos (trying not to obsess) but it seems like I may have lost length by wearing it out and not protecting when I slept. But now I'm back on the straight and narrow with just about a half a year to regain. It can happen!:)

Ylva
July 6th, 2023, 12:40 PM

The one time I tried a scalp-only wash in the shower, I did it very similarly but used an S hook instead.

MusicalSpoons
July 6th, 2023, 01:46 PM
I use a clippy clothes hanger, like this https://thehangerstore.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/402-248-2.2.jpg
I can reach our shower rail to hang it on there but I can't reach it enough to tie my hair around it, and with the clips it's adjustable as well if I've misjudged the length. I clip my braid in one, then wrap it around the actual hanger across to the other clip, as the first time I tried it the braid fell out of the clip. And the hanger has fallen down if I've scrubbed my scalp a bit too violently :lol:

Nefcerka
July 7th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Hair goals:
- avoid breakage
- moisturize the length more
- learn new buns and braids here
- hopefully reaching hip and tailbone (if I´m lucky)

Hair related goals:
- better manage stress and anxiety

Revisiting and rethinking my goals almost four months later:
-continue to avoid breakage - yes, I need to be more patient when detangling, and also when pushing a hairstick through the bun, I´m guilty of snapping hairs in the process
-as for moisturizing the length, I found good conditioners, but I will look for some light-weight hair oils to use post and pre-wash
-I have learned more than 35 buns and hairstyles, now I am working on memorizing them all so I don´t have to rush to youtube every other day in the morning
-I have reached hip length, and I hope to reach at least BCL by the end of the year (tailbone is probably not realistic this year, but a dream nevertheless)
-managing stress is a work in progress (and failing often)

I would add another goals now:
-not buying any new hair products before I use what I have (those will last me probably three years...)
-not trimming this year at all (in order to grow as much as possible)
-not giving into the temptation of henna (while I yearn for its strengthening properties, I am not ready to commit to the color again)

Jovana
July 7th, 2023, 04:39 AM
- Don't buy any cosmetic until at least 20-30% ends.
- Reduce breakage and hairloss.

longmane
July 7th, 2023, 10:26 AM
My hair goal for the second half of 2023 is to apply shea butter and oil on my hair after every wash then braid it to air dry. I started doing this already on July 1st.

cackle
July 7th, 2023, 03:16 PM
Goals I've kept to this year (so far) :

- Got my yearly trim
- Use hair oil on my lower half as my main styling product (partial to Badger Argan)
- Hair goes up/away in some way every day! Usually a stick, fork, or claw clip. Sometimes a low pony.

Bat
July 8th, 2023, 01:26 AM
Since I failed every goal I set for the first half of the year, let's start for second half

* 6 June - 14 September 100 day no buzz
* No Trims July 1st - December 31st
* Semi dye only
* No bleach on scalp

Lady Stardust
October 26th, 2023, 07:20 AM

My original goal was to maintain at MBL and not to cut more than an inch at a time, but I trimmed 2.5-3” earlier this year, so I amended my goal to just get back to MBL, unless the ends looked too thin or stringy.

Well, the ends looked too thin and stringy so I cut another 4” and I’m back at around APL. To be fair, this year has been exceptionally hard, emotionally, and at one point my hair was coming out it handfuls, following a huge shock.

Hopefully I have time between now and the end of the year to figure out what sort of trimming schedule I need to do, to keep the ends looking as thick as possible. I suspect that next year’s goal is going to be to maintain the healthiest look for my hair, rather than focusing on growing.

mochichichi
October 26th, 2023, 01:51 PM
So my updated list is:
• Grow to classic, pass it if possible! [DONE and well on my way to fingertip!]
• No trims the whole year (this is normal for me, so not anticipating this to be too difficult) [Still going strong, but I think I won't be committing to no trim times in the future, I find myself thinking about it more than usual]
• Use my yearly trim for some additional thickening either at/maintain classic or my usual hemline even-out [My hem is staying thick but like last year it's going a little lopsided, so I want to even things out]
• I really like going to salons, honestly, it feels like a nice pamper day. TBD if I find a substitute and DIY trimming [I think I found a salon I do want to try out, so I'll give it a try and if it goes well it's a small business that probably won't have all the turnover and random stylists, so hopefully I can find someone that will be consistent about it]
• S&D one time per month (new moons) [After the first few sessions, I haven't found this a good use of time
• Solidify a routine that will keep my ends moisturized [My ends are definitely getting dry, but the shea butter definitely seems to be working]
• Stretch washes to 2 weeks [DONE! I maintained 2 week apart washes all through the summer. Now doing scalp washes every 2 weeks and full length washes once a month]

Almost to the end! Reviewing for the last bit of the year.

Chasemi
October 26th, 2023, 03:27 PM
1.) No trims
2.) Always use a protective style before bed
3.) No more dye
4.) Stretch washes (:
5.) End the year 3 inches or less from waist

Ylva
October 26th, 2023, 04:20 PM

The year is not over yet, but I don’t foresee changes to any of these, so this might as well be my final review!

1. Success. I’m almost all natural now.

2. Meh… All of this could’ve been better but also a LOT worse.

3. Success.

4. Pretty much. Dropped out a few days prior to do a big chop.

5. It’s starting to get noticeable!

6. I got rid of about 40 cm. :D

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2023, 05:24 PM
- ideally reach 72"
- clean my mirror

1 and 2 are probably about the same - maybe by 72" it will look like floor length. But I trod naturally on the end of my hair in the shower which let me call floor length, mentally anyway and in my stats.
3. I forgot I set this as a goal and it has been on my mind. I've had so much else to do requiring my limited energy though.
4. So far I've taken them, not posted because the previous ones are on my old laptop and I sort of just don't want to deal with it :lol: again compounded by having so much else I *need* to do.
5. Ha, yes, although I wasn't expecting to buy new hairtoys first :laugh: but anyway, one goal achieved!
6. Not yet, but I was thinking about it recently and I think this season is probably a good time to do it.
7. On track. I've been considering trimming back to 70" when I get to 72", just to see if any of the other hairs make it any further, and I'm used to ridiculously thin ends now (and they're not actually troublesome). Or I might be done and just chop back as was the original intention - we'll see.

1. yes
2. no, seemed to stall at 71"
3. not yet
4. Same as before - taken them but not posted
5. Yes
6. No, but it's been on my mind - seems to be a winter thing
7. Yes and no, reached final length then I trimmed an inch off after a while, and may find myself hanging around at floor or maybe ankle for a bit. The strong desire to cut back to calf isn't there at the moment.

Nefcerka
October 27th, 2023, 03:15 AM
Revisiting and rethinking my goals almost four months later:
-continue to avoid breakage - yes, I need to be more patient when detangling, and also when pushing a hairstick through the bun, I´m guilty of snapping hairs in the process - I fingercomb first and use a tangle teezer if needed, I learned to use hairsticks, hairforks and clawclips without much pressure
-as for moisturizing the length, I found good conditioners, but I will look for some light-weight hair oils to use post and pre-wash - my hair hates leave ins, I use a mix of oils exclusively now and only for the very ends
-I have learned more than 35 buns and hairstyles, now I am working on memorizing them all so I don´t have to rush to youtube every other day in the morning - I´ve selected 14 go-to styles and I have memorized them well
-I have reached hip length, and I hope to reach at least BCL by the end of the year (tailbone is probably not realistic this year, but a dream nevertheless) - not quite at BCL yet, but should be by New Year
-managing stress is a work in progress (and failing often) - I´m doing better

I would add another goals now:
-not buying any new hair products before I use what I have (those will last me probably three years...) - I managed to keep this resolution :cheer:
-not trimming this year at all (in order to grow as much as possible) - I decided I will be keeping my yearly 1-cm trims
-not giving into the temptation of henna (while I yearn for its strengthening properties, I am not ready to commit to the color again) - I gave in to cassia, and I happy with the conditioning and slight golden tones it gives me

All things considered, I decided to simplify my routine and approach and stop obsessing about my hair. For the next year 2024 I am planning to do benign neglect. Washing every 5 days as usual, only shampoo and conditioner, then airdrying or blowdrying, a bit of oil into the ends. Bunning all the time, cassia once a month, 1 cm trim once a year and that´s it. I´m letting it grow indefinitely for now, however long it wants, and I´m not going to obsess about milestones.

Bat
October 27th, 2023, 07:55 PM
Since I failed every goal I set for the first half of the year, let's start for second half

* 6 June - 14 September 100 day no buzz
* No Trims July 1st - December 31st
* Semi dye only
* No bleach on scalp

Completed no trimming for 100 days
Still going strong with no Trims
Been using henna
So far have been bleach free

Chasemi
October 28th, 2023, 07:43 PM
Been using henna

That's amazing!!

ETJ CURLS
October 28th, 2023, 09:59 PM
Been using henna

Congrats, Bat! :cheer:

Bat
October 28th, 2023, 11:51 PM
That's amazing!!

Congrats, Bat! :cheer:

Especially for me! This is the longest I've gone without bleach and a trim in years

Chasemi
October 29th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Especially for me! This is the longest I've gone without bleach and a trim in years

Even more impressive! Can't wait to see you finish the no trim 2nd half