PDA

View Full Version : She Has Over 24 Inches Of Long Relaxed Hair

Dark40
October 7th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Hi all,
What do you all think of this video? This is what I've been trying to explain to you all for the longest!

She has over 24 inches of long relaxed hair - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIM4WI0aUMM)

blackgothicdoll
October 7th, 2022, 01:52 PM
She's around waist length though....

There was another member here, can't remember the name, with classic length or longer relaxed hair. That was impressive. I don't think anyone thinks relaxed hair won't grow long, there are plenty of examples. It's relaxing, and dying, and using heat, and of course just knowing what may be preventing hair from retaining length if a person seems to not be able to grow their hair past a certain length. Everyone's hair is different!

As a side note, not really a fan of the stylists' apparent disdain toward natural hair.

MusicalSpoons
October 7th, 2022, 02:03 PM
There was another member here, can't remember the name, with classic length or longer relaxed hair. That was impressive. I don't think anyone thinks relaxed hair won't grow long, there are plenty of examples. It's relaxing, and dying, and using heat, and of course just knowing what may be preventing hair from retaining length if a person seems to not be able to grow their hair past a certain length. Everyone's hair is different!

AutobotsAttack, I think. She relaxes her hair but no dye or heat, and uses protective styles IIRC.

lapushka
October 7th, 2022, 02:34 PM
She's around waist length though....

As a side note, not really a fan of the stylists' apparent disdain toward natural hair.

Yep, it's like a triple whammy!

I so much agree with all you've said. It's very personal, all of this. And if you yourself (general you) can't grow your hair past a certain length, you are clearly doing something wrong, unless that is the length you're going for. :)

Bat
October 7th, 2022, 05:07 PM
AutobotsAttack, I think. She relaxes her hair but no dye or heat, and uses protective styles IIRC.

She does yep and it's about mid thigh or close to it

Dark40
October 7th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Yes, that's right. I had also forgotten about...AutobotsAttack having long healthy relaxed hair on here, and no she doesn't use any heat...and also uses protective styles IIRC.

Shorty89
October 7th, 2022, 09:39 PM
She does yep and it's about mid thigh or close to it

I didn't think she was quite that long, was she?

MusicalSpoons
October 7th, 2022, 09:46 PM
I didn't think she was quite that long, was she?

I couldn't remember, so had a look at her profile. In her anniversary post in 2020 she was beyond classic.

Dark40
October 7th, 2022, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I looked at her, "Relaxed Hair Thread," and I also think it was back in 2020 where she gave us an update on her hair reaching mid thigh length.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 8th, 2022, 01:39 AM
Hair can be made to look healthy and shiny and still be damaged though. Hair relaxers straighten hair by penetrating the cuticle and the cortex layers of the hair shaft to loosen the natural curl pattern. This process leaves the hair weak, brittle and prone to breakage. It can even burn your skin, cause permanent damage to the scalp and lead to hair loss. Just because her hair LOOKS healthy, doesn't mean it is healthy in the same way that unprocessed hair would be. Relaxers do damage the hair, in much the same way as perming solution does. And permed hair is always damaged to a degree.
Relaxing causes damage, perming causes damage, dying causes damage and heat tools cause damage. It's all a matter of deciding how much damage you are prepared to inflict on your hair and what results you are looking for. It's each individual's choice.

luxurioushair
October 8th, 2022, 06:19 AM
That's nice as long as she is happy with it. The problem is, the rare exception makes some girls think they can relax their hair and have healthy, long hair. That is not doable for most African hair types. The girls who do this successfully usually have very coarse (thick) strands and looser curl patterns. It would be crazy of me, for example, to believe that I can relax my hair (not that I want to, because the chemicals are poison) and have the same length and thickness I have now. My hair will, first of all, be extremely thin if relaxed and it will look limp and awful. Secondly, it will break off, because the chemicals will damage my thin strands. The companies that manufacture these chemicals do not have your best interests at heart and they do not care if your hair breaks off or if the terrible chemicals poison your body.
So while there's the occasional success story with using these chemicals to straighten hair, I wouldn't encourage people to just go for it unless they are sure it will work for them specifically.

luxurioushair
October 8th, 2022, 06:27 AM
Hair can be made to look healthy and shiny and still be damaged though. Hair relaxers straighten hair by penetrating the cuticle and the cortex layers of the hair shaft to loosen the natural curl pattern. This process leaves the hair weak, brittle and prone to breakage. It can even burn your skin, cause permanent damage to the scalp and lead to hair loss. Just because her hair LOOKS healthy, doesn't mean it is healthy in the same way that unprocessed hair would be. Relaxers do damage the hair, in much the same way as perming solution does. And permed hair is always damaged to a degree.
Relaxing causes damage, perming causes damage, dying causes damage and heat tools cause damage. It's all a matter of deciding how much damage you are prepared to inflict on your hair and what results you are looking for. It's each individual's choice.
This exactly, and then because it's such a lucrative industry, they are NOT going to tell us about the effects of those chemicals on the human body. Thank you for your honest and helpful post. If someone is willing to sacrifice her hair's health and possibly her own health in order to have a specific hair texture, then the hair is not the problem. Instead, such a person needs to work on her mind, soul and spirit.

blackgothicdoll
October 8th, 2022, 09:03 AM
This exactly, and then because it's such a lucrative industry, they are NOT going to tell us about the effects of those chemicals on the human body. Thank you for your honest and helpful post. If someone is willing to sacrifice her hair's health and possibly her own health in order to have a specific hair texture, then the hair is not the problem. Instead, such a person needs to work on her mind, soul and spirit.

Let's take a step back here. Nothing is wrong with a person who modifies their hair texture. :confused: It's not any different than cutting it for a certain style, or coloring it.

MusicalSpoons
October 8th, 2022, 10:35 AM

This sums it up perfectly. And the people who can grow long whilst doing one of these are always those who've chosen one thing (relaxing or perming or dyeing or heat styling) not multiple.

lapushka
October 8th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Let's take a step back here. Nothing is wrong with a person who modifies their hair texture. :confused: It's not any different than cutting it for a certain style, or coloring it.

Yep. This! ^^ Let's not get carried away, you guys! :) It's not that big in the grand scheme of things. There *is* risk involved, but I have seen people have hair disasters just coloring it, and that's innocent enough, right?

Ada-banana
October 8th, 2022, 12:24 PM
It looks impressive, but indeed rare.
African hairtypes are really damage prone, I remember one woman telling that she got a bald spot from not wearing her hair.

Shorty89
October 8th, 2022, 12:26 PM
I couldn't remember, so had a look at her profile. In her anniversary post in 2020 she was beyond classic.

Oh wow. I didn't realize she'd gotten that long!

Dark40
October 8th, 2022, 01:02 PM
That's nice as long as she is happy with it. The problem is, the rare exception makes some girls think they can relax their hair and have healthy, long hair. That is not doable for most African hair types. The girls who do this successfully usually have very coarse (thick) strands and looser curl patterns. It would be crazy of me, for example, to believe that I can relax my hair (not that I want to, because the chemicals are poison) and have the same length and thickness I have now. My hair will, first of all, be extremely thin if relaxed and it will look limp and awful. Secondly, it will break off, because the chemicals will damage my thin strands. The companies that manufacture these chemicals do not have your best interests at heart and they do not care if your hair breaks off or if the terrible chemicals poison your body.
So while there's the occasional success story with using these chemicals to straighten hair, I wouldn't encourage people to just go for it unless they are sure it will work for them specifically.

Not having extremely long healthy relaxed hair or even chemically-treated hair is not true. Because, i have a longtime girlfriend that back in the 80's her hair reached ankle length, and it was relaxed...and she's also African-American. But like one of the posts in here said, 'Everybody's hair is different."

Ada-banana
October 8th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Not having extremely long healthy relaxed hair or even chemically-treated hair is not true. Because, i have a longtime girlfriend that back in the 80's her hair reached ankle length, and it was relaxed...and she's also African-American. But like one of the posts in here said, 'Everybody's hair is different."

I didn't even know that was possible. I had a ghanese aquintance and she told me that it was not possible to grow hair till shoulder blade. This was before the natural hair movement.

lapushka
October 8th, 2022, 02:46 PM

^^ Exactly that, and it's important to remember that, or keep it in mind, always. I know you love long hair, but I say look at what length you can yourself grow to, instead of always comparing to someone with exceptionally (yes, really) long relaxed hair; it's not healthy, IMHO. :) Take it for what it's worth. :flower:

luxurioushair
October 8th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Well I didn't say there was anything wrong with modifying it. I was trying to point out that sacrificing your health for a different texture is problematic. We all know those chemicals aren't good. Now you can still decide to use them but why expect anyone to pretend those chemicals are good? Anyway I just gave my opinion on the thread and it may not align with yours, that's fine.

Dark40
October 8th, 2022, 06:46 PM
^^ Exactly that, and it's important to remember that, or keep it in mind, always. I know you love long hair, but I say look at what length you can yourself grow to, instead of always comparing to someone with exceptionally (yes, really) long relaxed hair; it's not healthy, IMHO. :) Take it for what it's worth. :flower:

Yeah, but the point is I had exceptionally long relaxed hair as a kid, and I'm not always comparing to someone else's anyway. When I was a kid at age 13 I had almost hip length with it being relaxed and no dye. So, I don't need to compare to others with exceptionally long relaxed hair. :) And, if you have relaxed or chemically-treated hair all you have to do is make sure you know the right kind of products to use to keep it growing healthy. IMAO :flower:

Dark40
October 8th, 2022, 06:50 PM
I didn't even know that was possible. I had a ghanese aquintance and she told me that it was not possible to grow hair till shoulder blade. This was before the natural hair movement.

Yes, it's possible. Well, maybe your ghanese aquintance's hair couldn't grow till shoulder blade length. Because, that's in here genes. Maybe it isn't in her genes to grow past that. I bet it was before the natural hair movement. But if have relaxed or chamically-treated hair all you have to do is make sure you know the right products to use on it that will keep it growing long and healthy.

lapushka
October 9th, 2022, 04:00 AM
Yeah, but the point is I had exceptionally long relaxed hair as a kid, and I'm not always comparing to someone else's anyway. When I was a kid at age 13 I had almost hip length with it being relaxed and no dye. So, I don't need to compare to others with exceptionally long relaxed hair. :) And, if you have relaxed or chemically-treated hair all you have to do is make sure you know the right kind of products to use to keep it growing healthy. IMAO :flower:

Hip isn't really long though. It's not ankle. It's not floor. At some point something has got to give (thinning out of the strands etc.). I say show me a relaxed head with thick floor length hair then and gladly prove me wrong!

vampyyri
October 9th, 2022, 05:22 AM
Everyone's hair is different and can tolerate different degrees of damage while still maintaining length. Some people dye their hair, some people heat style their hair, some people relax their hair... and can still grow it out. Pick your "poison" or pick none, that's only the person growing the hair's decision. It's certainly possible to grow out damaged hair, it's just most get fed up with the damage/maintenance and chop is the difference.

I personally think that if it makes you happy and that you're doing it for the right reasons/you're not hurting anyone by doing so, just do it. It's just a good principle to apply to life in general :meditate:

Hip isn't really long though. It's not ankle. It's not floor. At some point something has got to give (thinning out of the strands etc.). I say show me a relaxed head with thick floor length hair then and gladly prove me wrong!

I mean, most people's terminal isn't even that long, it's rare that people can reach those lengths. It just seems more common here because they're all in one place, you know? I get that "long" is subjective, but... it's easy to get caught up in the LHC length mindset where everything above CL is "short" :lol:

GoatLady
October 9th, 2022, 02:20 PM
To each their own. As long as she loves her hair, that's what matters.

lapushka
October 9th, 2022, 02:59 PM
Everyone's hair is different and can tolerate different degrees of damage while still maintaining length. Some people dye their hair, some people heat style their hair, some people relax their hair... and can still grow it out. Pick your "poison" or pick none, that's only the person growing the hair's decision. It's certainly possible to grow out damaged hair, it's just most get fed up with the damage/maintenance and chop is the difference.

I personally think that if it makes you happy and that you're doing it for the right reasons/you're not hurting anyone by doing so, just do it. It's just a good principle to apply to life in general :meditate:

I mean, most people's terminal isn't even that long, it's rare that people can reach those lengths. It just seems more common here because they're all in one place, you know? I get that "long" is subjective, but... it's easy to get caught up in the LHC length mindset where everything above CL is "short" :lol:

I get you; still, I personally, personally, have yet to see someone with relaxed hair with a thick, even, hemline at super long lengths. At some point, the chemical wins out, you know? It's just a given. And yes, there's probably an exception to that "rule". ;)

Glitch
October 9th, 2022, 03:31 PM
If someone is willing to sacrifice her hair's health and possibly her own health in order to have a specific hair texture, then the hair is not the problem. Instead, such a person needs to work on her mind, soul and spirit.

What a black and white take. I'll try to remember to work on my mind, soul and spirit the next time I want to straighten my bangs, lmao.

Dark40
October 11th, 2022, 09:36 PM

Yeah, I agree. I thank you for saying that! :) For me, I've always still considered HL or hip length, "long." Because, here in our country a lot of people consider anything that is waist length on down is, "long." :lol:

lapushka
October 12th, 2022, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I agree. I thank you for saying that! :) For me, I've always still considered HL or hip length, "long." Because, here in our country a lot of people consider anything that is waist length on down is, "long." :lol:

I think that possibly you could have forgotten that you brought up the person with ankle or ? floor length?

Dark40
October 12th, 2022, 04:28 PM
I think that possibly you could have forgotten that you brought up the person with ankle or ? floor length?

Nope, I hadn't forgotten nothing about me bringing up the person with ankle or ? floor length? The thread is not about that particular person. It's about the person with beyond 24 inches of relaxed hair. You are the one twisting everything around bringing up the person with the ankle. Or, floor length hair.

SeppV
October 13th, 2022, 06:04 AM
I believe Lapushka was referring to something you used as an argument earlier in this thread, not twisting, it was something you mentioned as a proof of the possibility of long relaxed hair. Anyway, relaxers do leave hair in a fragile state, meaning it will make hair more brittle and prone to damage. I think everyone agrees with that and probably most agree that it is technically possble to grow to extreme lenghts anyway, but it is certainly not the "rule" and it doesn't make it any easier than it already is. I find growing my hair to extreme lenghts to be a challenge even being very careful with any sort of chemicals or heat. I can easily grow to BCL while completely neglecting my hair, and not the benign kind. But longer than that? It takes some effort. Bleaching, relaxers, heat styling and what not will certainly make it more difficult to keep hair nice looking and growing extremely long.

Anyway, I find discussions like these refreshing if they can be kept at the non-personal level. People should be able to put some facts on the table without having to watch our words so carefully that nobody will get hurt. It's not that big of a deal really, and it's good to be able to "take a blow", so to speak, when it comes to our own opinions.

Zanthia
October 13th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Well I didn't say there was anything wrong with modifying it. I was trying to point out that sacrificing your health for a different texture is problematic. We all know those chemicals aren't good. Now you can still decide to use them but why expect anyone to pretend those chemicals are good? Anyway I just gave my opinion on the thread and it may not align with yours, that's fine.

I completely agree with you. I'm struggling to understand a lot of the responses you've received in this thread that just don't seem related to the topic.

lapushka
October 13th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Nope, I hadn't forgotten nothing about me bringing up the person with ankle or ? floor length? The thread is not about that particular person. It's about the person with beyond 24 inches of relaxed hair. You are the one twisting everything around bringing up the person with the ankle. Or, floor length hair.

You actually did mention it... That either you had this person in the family, relative, or it was someone you once knew.

Dark40
October 18th, 2022, 09:38 PM
I believe Lapushka was referring to something you used as an argument earlier in this thread, not twisting, it was something you mentioned as a proof of the possibility of long relaxed hair. Anyway, relaxers do leave hair in a fragile state, meaning it will make hair more brittle and prone to damage. I think everyone agrees with that and probably most agree that it is technically possble to grow to extreme lenghts anyway, but it is certainly not the "rule" and it doesn't make it any easier than it already is. I find growing my hair to extreme lenghts to be a challenge even being very careful with any sort of chemicals or heat. I can easily grow to BCL while completely neglecting my hair, and not the benign kind. But longer than that? It takes some effort. Bleaching, relaxers, heat styling and what not will certainly make it more difficult to keep hair nice looking and growing extremely long.

Anyway, I find discussions like these refreshing if they can be kept at the non-personal level. People should be able to put some facts on the table without having to watch our words so carefully that nobody will get hurt. It's not that big of a deal really, and it's good to be able to "take a blow", so to speak, when it comes to our own opinions.

No, I wasn't trying to argue about anything. All I was trying to do in this thread was make a point, and that is that you can have long, healthy, relaxed hair. But having relaxed is true that it's prone to being fragile or breakage but if you know the right hair products to use for relaxed hair then your hair won't look or feel fragile and won't get damaged. I've had relaxed hair ever since I was 6 years old starting out using a relaxer made for kids. That didn't do anything for my hair or straighten it. So, I moved onto using relaxers made for adults, and that REALLY helped to straighten my hair the way I want it to be. Then, during my senior year of high school I started using hair dye, and since then I have not seen any damaged or fragile hairs. Yall are just arguing that here on this forum because of you read about what chemicals can do to your hair, and all is true but if you know the right kind of products for chemically-treated your hair won't get damaged, break off, get fragile, or fall out, and when I was 13 years old all of my hair was relaxed at almost Hip Length. So, me and the people I know in my family and my friend that had extremely long relaxed hair from experence....if they can have it super long, healthy, and relaxed....or even chemically-treated. Then, it can be possible.

Yeah, I doing like to argue to the point of hurting others either. I've never believed in doing that in here at LHC. But I always like to be in discussion.