PDA

View Full Version : Why do I shed these short hairs?

M.McDonough
October 5th, 2022, 01:29 AM
I shed these short hairs that taper from the crown..I wonder why..it happens like every time I rub my hair..my hair is like mid-back length and it's curly like 3a or something..The crown looks thin as well unfortunately.. my hair is almost always dry and frizzy and lifeless. Sometimes I think about shaving it all off.

https://i.imgur.com/hRAh3oC.jpg

tuanyiji
October 5th, 2022, 01:41 AM
Hold the thought on the scissors. Take a deep breath.
I’m sorry for your loss, we can work this out by making a list.
Maybe this is just seasonal shedding, it’s autumn after all.
Are you under a lot of pressure? On medication? Any unusual signs on the body or mood?
Did you change your diet or water or hair care routine?
Do they have tiny dots at one end, you know, the roots? Otherwise they might be breakage.
Do you sleep with a silk bonnet or on a silk pillowcase? Do you wear protective styles?
There are many reasons that might cause this, but a positive mindset will help the most.

M.McDonough
October 5th, 2022, 02:03 AM
Hold the thought on the scissors. Take a deep breath.
I’m sorry for your loss, we can work this out by making a list.
Maybe this is just seasonal shedding, it’s autumn after all.
Are you under a lot of pressure? On medication? Any unusual signs on the body or mood?
Did you change your diet or water or hair care routine?
Do they have tiny dots at one end, you know, the roots? Otherwise they might be breakage.
Do you sleep with a silk bonnet or on a silk pillowcase? Do you wear protective styles?
There are many reasons that might cause this, but a positive mindset will help the most.

Well this has been going on for 4 years actually I'm sick of it. Maybe it's breakage, lack of moisture, buns, tight hairstyle? Idk

lapushka
October 5th, 2022, 03:01 AM
We all have these short hairs with a short terminal / shelf life, that are situated where ever hair meets skin, so all around your head. And yes, they shed. That is all. :shrug: I am not making light of it, just stating a fact. It's just something you'll have to keep dealing with, I'm afraid. If, and if, the rest of your hair care is gentle enough (no heat, no dye, no bleach, etc.)

Ylva
October 5th, 2022, 09:41 AM
Is there a white bulb at the other end, the non-tapered one? If not, or if the majority is lacking that bulb, it’s more likely to be breakage rather than shedding.

foreveryours
October 5th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Well this has been going on for 4 years actually I'm sick of it. Maybe it's breakage, lack of moisture, buns, tight hairstyle? Idk

Idk - Once you learn the root of your problem, breakage is relatively easy to correct by change of habit. Shed otoh is not so easy :p

milteu
October 5th, 2022, 10:41 AM
I used to have this all the time. Then I started eating properly and sleeping enough hours. I believe, at least for me, it was stress/poor lifestyle. Oh, and I started being much more gentle when detangling/combing or running my fingers through my hair (bc this is when I noticed they will usually fall)

M.McDonough
October 5th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Is there a white bulb at the other end, the non-tapered one? If not, or if the majority is lacking that bulb, it’s more likely to be breakage rather than shedding.

Idk - Once you learn the root of your problem, breakage is relatively easy to correct by change of habit. Shed otoh is not so easy :p

Does dry hair/breakage lead to thinning and balding?

shelomit
October 5th, 2022, 12:47 PM
The first question to answer would be breakage vs. shed. You say they're short and near the crown--are they also thinner (in diameter) than the rest of your hair? If so, they're probably "baby hairs" from right along the hairline. They often have a shorter anogen cycle than the rest of the hair and therefore shed naturally when they are still fairly short.

Ylva
October 5th, 2022, 04:20 PM

Not directly. Thinning yes in the sense that you lose thickness more abruptly as you go down, but it doesn’t affect the hair at the scalp.

But it would be important to know if the bulb is there or not.

foreveryours
October 5th, 2022, 05:19 PM

Balding would certainly be an extreme consequence, but certainly breakage of any kinde will result in hair thinning.

Do you where hats? Long time ago when I had short hair, I used to wear baseball caps. Worst EVER! Horrible breakage around the ears from the band.

As stated throughout, you need to deterimine whether these strands are broken strands or shed strands.

M.McDonough
October 10th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Sometimes I see chunks of hairballs around the crown. They're dry and kind of gross. My scalp hurts when I pull them out

M.McDonough
October 11th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Balding would certainly be an extreme consequence, but certainly breakage of any kinde will result in hair thinning.

Do you where hats? Long time ago when I had short hair, I used to wear baseball caps. Worst EVER! Horrible breakage around the ears from the band.

As stated throughout, you need to deterimine whether these strands are broken strands or shed strands.

So you're saying dry hair leads to balding? Then I should just shave it off

Obsidian
October 11th, 2022, 03:08 PM
So you're saying dry hair leads to balding? Then I should just shave it off

Balding is different then hair breaking off at the scalp. Like previously mentioned, you need to determine if these hairs are broken or if they have a bulb from falling out.

A trip to the dermatologist might be in order to determined what is going on

M.McDonough
October 12th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Balding is different then hair breaking off at the scalp. Like previously mentioned, you need to determine if these hairs are broken or if they have a bulb from falling out.

A trip to the dermatologist might be in order to determined what is going on
Looks like they have the blub

lapushka
October 12th, 2022, 07:42 AM
Sometimes I see chunks of hairballs around the crown. They're dry and kind of gross. My scalp hurts when I pull them out

Well... don't pull them out. Of course they're gonna have a bulb then. You're pulling them out?

Obsidian
October 12th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Looks like they have the blub

Ok, now that we've determined they are falling and not breaking wr can try and get to the bottom of it.

The ones with the hairballs that you pull out, have you looked really close to see what they are? If the scalp is dry and sore around them, something is causing it.

How is your scalp in general, do you have build up? How often do you wash? I know the standard advice with long hair is to stretch washes but some scalps just don't like that. The follicles can get plugged and lead to hair loss.

Try scalp washes more often if possible, see if that slows the shedding down. You might even use a shampoo designed for scalp exfoliation. I really like T/Sal, its been helping with my build up.
You could also try a good chelating shampoo since you said your hair is dry and lifeless. Mineral deposits can cause that and will also affect the scalp

M.McDonough
October 12th, 2022, 10:06 AM
Ok, now that we've determined they are falling and not breaking wr can try and get to the bottom of it.

The ones with the hairballs that you pull out, have you looked really close to see what they are? If the scalp is dry and sore around them, something is causing it.

How is your scalp in general, do you have build up? How often do you wash? I know the standard advice with long hair is to stretch washes but some scalps just don't like that. The follicles can get plugged and lead to hair loss.

Try scalp washes more often if possible, see if that slows the shedding down. You might even use a shampoo designed for scalp exfoliation. I really like T/Sal, its been helping with my build up.
You could also try a good chelating shampoo since you said your hair is dry and lifeless. Mineral deposits can cause that and will also affect the scalp

I might have buildup I wash it about 4 times a week. I have to cuz I work out and sweat obviously. I don't actually "shed" there's very little hair in the shower most of the time (if I detangle it regularly)

lapushka
October 12th, 2022, 10:19 AM
I might have buildup I wash it about 4 times a week. I have to cuz I work out and sweat obviously. I don't actually "shed" there's very little hair in the shower most of the time (if I detangle it regularly)

Sounds to me like you have no set routine. Try detangling pre-wash, then wash, then detangle once more. You really need to do this consistently, especially if you don't detangle the rest of the time due to perhaps texture.

M.McDonough
October 12th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Sounds to me like you have no set routine. Try detangling pre-wash, then wash, then detangle once more. You really need to do this consistently, especially if you don't detangle the rest of the time due to perhaps texture.

I honestly just wanna shave it, it's much easier. Worrying about it is making my life miserable. Can't tell you

lapushka
October 12th, 2022, 11:03 AM
I honestly just wanna shave it, it's much easier. Worrying about it is making my life miserable. Can't tell you

Oh. OK. Well you have to do what you think is best for you & your situation. Good luck! :flower:

Obsidian
October 12th, 2022, 11:55 AM

If you truly would be happier with shorter hair then don't hang onto it just because its long. I have short hair, really short and I love it. I'm going to try one more time to grow it out but I'm only shooting for shoulder or so. Long enough to put up but short enough not to be in the way.

maybe don't shave it right away though, try cutting in implements, you might find a shorter style you really love.