PDA

View Full Version : Need advice regarding partial hair extension

HairNightmare
October 1st, 2022, 02:08 PM
Hello!

I'm a 25 year old guy who has always had longer (chin length to past shoulder length) hair. Two years ago, it was still normal, but three years ago, I started noticing that something strange is happening with the hair in the front.

I will post pictures below. Somehow, the bangs have become short, and have refused to grow. I still have thick hair on the very top, as you can see - about two inches - but only a few strands are reaching down to my chin. It has stayed this way for about a year now - not getting worse, not better (I don't know how and why) But I want it fixed somehow, because i'm a stage performer and my hair has always been my trademark. It sucks that I look half-bald from side view, when i'm only 25.

This is how it looks right now:

https://ibb.co/VY5J5z6

And this is how I would like it, this is the thickness that I had 3 years ago that I want back (it's my poor attempt at drawing the hair in an app, obviously I want it to look better irl)

https://ibb.co/mqGZ4KP

I would want the best quality, permanent extensions. How much would putting in this much hair cost me?

Thanks for reading, appreciate any responses :)

HairNightmare
October 1st, 2022, 02:16 PM
God damnit, the pictures didn't load and I can't edit the thread for some reason. Retrying.

Current situation:https://i.ibb.co/sJqZX5H/IMG-20221001-231027.jpg (https://ibb.co/NnKMG1S)

How I want it:

https://i.ibb.co/NjsDKqG/IMG-20221001-230237.jpg (https://ibb.co/mqGZ4KP)

What could this cost me?

SandyBottom
October 1st, 2022, 04:22 PM
Hi HairNightmare, welcome! I don't have an answer to your question, but as for not being able to edit your post, that's because you have <25 posts. If you go to the NEW? START HERE! forum you'll see a sticky that explains all your user permissions and the two Announcements at the top of that page are also very helpful. Good luck

Ylva
October 1st, 2022, 06:13 PM
I’m no expert in hair extensions but what do you mean by permanent extensions? Are you talking about follicle transfer?

ETA: There’s likely a logical, fixable reason why the front hair isn’t growing. It’s a very common place to experience breakage. Has anything changed considering what comes in contact with that part of your hair or how you treat it?

tuanyiji
October 1st, 2022, 07:53 PM
I’m sorry to hear your distress, I suffered from a major shed last year so I understand how frustrating it is.

I don’t really know your hair care routine, but you’re unlikely to reach your terminal at this short length, if your hair doesn’t grow long, the main culprit is breakage; heat tools, chemical treatment, mechanical damage can all be a factor.

But if it’s a balding problem, don’t lose hope yet, you are still relatively young and if the hair receding starts not that long ago, there’s still chance for you to get the follicles active, go see a dermatologist to check out the possible factors, be it male pattern hair loss from your genes or something else like thyroid or toxic food consumption, many will suggest you to take better care of your body by stop smoking/drinking, adding more nutrients to your diet, drink more water, sleep more, be less stressful etc, if the case is more advanced, they will suggest some topical treatment like minoxidil or taking finasteride, pay close attention to the possible side effects, some will suggest LLLT treatment or dermarolling, there are tons of ways to deal with a bald spot while you’re recovering.

As far as I know, no extension can be permanent. Most of the extensions have to be tied/binded/glued/clipped in to existing hair, and apart from constant maintenance, most of them harm the hair roots in the long term (causing traction alopecia).

For stage performance, you can temporarily add some clip-in extension/wefts or a toupee/wig, as for materials, cheap plastic hair knots easily and real human hair is expensive and might have some ethical issues regarding how and where they are sourced from.

For a quick fix, you can use some dark hair powder (very affordable, you can just use some eyebrow/eyeliner pencil) to cover the balding area, but you would have to pay attention not to sweat too much, and you have to clean the powder thoroughly to avoid buildup and clogging the follicles.

There’s also hairline microblading, think of it as semi-permanent tattooing, needling ink into the balding area, it can be painful and expensive though. And if you’re healthy and active, your metabolism will fade the ink quicker, that happened to me.

The final approach is hair transplant/grafting and that’s the most expensive one, I don’t think you would need this at this age. But look it up and find a good doctor if you really decide to do this.

Check out Youtbe channels like Haircafe, Dr. Gary Linkov, Dr. Eric Berg DC and Dr Dray, and Green Beauty and Curly Proverbz if you want to take the natural approach or ayurvedic care routine, but be careful not to fall down the rabbit hole there.

I know looks can be everything to an actor, but try to be less stressful about it. Hair in general grows better with a better mood and with less manipulation, which means, even if you don’t do anything, hair will grow.

HairNightmare
October 2nd, 2022, 07:26 AM
I’m no expert in hair extensions but what do you mean by permanent extensions? Are you talking about follicle transfer?

ETA: There’s likely a logical, fixable reason why the front hair isn’t growing. It’s a very common place to experience breakage. Has anything changed considering what comes in contact with that part of your hair or how you treat it?

No, I meant those keratin fusion extensions or whatever that they call "permanent". I would have probably gotten a follicle transfer already by now, but sadly, I don't have the funds for that right now. I might be a stage performer, but i'm no Kevin Hart...

Well, two years ago, when I started noticing some thinning (very little) in the front, but no hair shortening or anything like that. I then decided to try a fringe haircut. So my bangs were cut quite short. Ever since that, they have not grown at all, and have not been cut. Yeah, the hair at the front, including the few lonely strands of hair that hang down to my cheeks, have not been cut in a little over 2 years, because hairdressers think it needs to be grown out.

Yet it's just not ****ing growing.

I have changed the way I treat my hair, but only for the better - stopped blowdrying with high hear, rubbing it hard with a towel when wet, using less harsh products. Yet nothing has helped.

HairNightmare
October 2nd, 2022, 07:32 AM
I’m sorry to hear your distress, I suffered from a major shed last year so I understand how frustrating it is.

I don’t really know your hair care routine, but you’re unlikely to reach your terminal at this short length, if your hair doesn’t grow long, the main culprit is breakage; heat tools, chemical treatment, mechanical damage can all be a factor.

But if it’s a balding problem, don’t lose hope yet, you are still relatively young and if the hair receding starts not that long ago, there’s still chance for you to get the follicles active, go see a dermatologist to check out the possible factors, be it male pattern hair loss from your genes or something else like thyroid or toxic food consumption, many will suggest you to take better care of your body by stop smoking/drinking, adding more nutrients to your diet, drink more water, sleep more, be less stressful etc, if the case is more advanced, they will suggest some topical treatment like minoxidil or taking finasteride, pay close attention to the possible side effects, some will suggest LLLT treatment or dermarolling, there are tons of ways to deal with a bald spot while you’re recovering.

As far as I know, no extension can be permanent. Most of the extensions have to be tied/binded/glued/clipped in to existing hair, and apart from constant maintenance, most of them harm the hair roots in the long term (causing traction alopecia).

For stage performance, you can temporarily add some clip-in extension/wefts or a toupee/wig, as for materials, cheap plastic hair knots easily and real human hair is expensive and might have some ethical issues regarding how and where they are sourced from.

For a quick fix, you can use some dark hair powder (very affordable, you can just use some eyebrow/eyeliner pencil) to cover the balding area, but you would have to pay attention not to sweat too much, and you have to clean the powder thoroughly to avoid buildup and clogging the follicles.

There’s also hairline microblading, think of it as semi-permanent tattooing, needling ink into the balding area, it can be painful and expensive though. And if you’re healthy and active, your metabolism will fade the ink quicker, that happened to me.

The final approach is hair transplant/grafting and that’s the most expensive one, I don’t think you would need this at this age. But look it up and find a good doctor if you really decide to do this.

Check out Youtbe channels like Haircafe, Dr. Gary Linkov, Dr. Eric Berg DC and Dr Dray, and Green Beauty and Curly Proverbz if you want to take the natural approach or ayurvedic care routine, but be careful not to fall down the rabbit hole there.

I know looks can be everything to an actor, but try to be less stressful about it. Hair in general grows better with a better mood and with less manipulation, which means, even if you don’t do anything, hair will grow.

Thanks for the lengthy reply.

I'm not an actor btw, though I am on the stage still, yes. But I would want a more permanent solution that I could wear all the time.

I currently can't afford a hair transplant. The reason I was considering extensions (those that can be worn for a few months at a time) was that if they are so short (how can they cause traction alopecia?) and I need so few of them, they wouldn't be too expensive to put in and maintain.

Kyamo
October 2nd, 2022, 11:13 AM
I actually have similar amounts of hair at the temples like that that onlys grows to like ear or mouth length, whereas the rest of my hair is capable of growing much longer.

Or could be breakage, or could be the beginning of receding hairline.

I know very little about hair extensions, but I thought they were usually put in more hidden areas of the hair so hair on top covers the join.

HairNightmare
October 3rd, 2022, 03:18 AM
Does anyone at all here know about hair extensions? From the replies i've gotten so far, should I assume that they're not a viable option?

tuanyiji
October 3rd, 2022, 03:51 AM
Does anyone at all here know about hair extensions? From the replies i've gotten so far, should I assume that they're not a viable option?
I have a dozen sets of colorful clip-in extensions, and I hand-tied/weaved wefts from my own hair that I collected. As I mentioned, clip-in extensions is the safest and cheapest way to adorn for costumes and performances (I am an aspiring traditional Hanfu hairstylist), but it’s also not meant to be worn all the time, just a few hours on the stage/photoshoot/an outing with friends, sure, but take them off when you’re at home chilling and sleeping.
You hair roots and follicles need to be as stress-fress as possible to be active.

HairNightmare
October 3rd, 2022, 03:58 AM
I have a dozen sets of colorful clip-in extensions, and I hand-tied/weaved wefts from my own hair that I collected. As I mentioned, clip-in extensions is the safest and cheapest way to adorn for costumes and performances (I am an aspiring traditional Hanfu hairstylist), but it’s also not meant to be worn all the time, just a few hours on the stage/photoshoot/an outing with friends, sure, but take them off when you’re at home chilling and sleeping.
You hair roots and follicles need to be as stress-fress as possible to be active.

I see. Yeah, that's out of the question, because I want something that nobody could ever tell that it's an extension, something that I wouldn't have to take off all the time. I will be filming a music video soon, and I can imagine wearing the extensions for the video, and then when i'm chilling at home and my neighbour knocks on the door, he's like "hey, you look different somehow". ��

I suppose i'll start collecting money for a hair transplant.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2022, 04:20 AM
Main and major question here. Do you use any heat on your hair, regularly, like a hot tool such as a straightener or curling iron? A lot can be attributed to that, breakage wise. It could just be heat damage; solution is easy: stop heat styling it.

HairNightmare
October 3rd, 2022, 04:34 AM
Main and major question here. Do you use any heat on your hair, regularly, like a hot tool such as a straightener or curling iron? A lot can be attributed to that, breakage wise. It could just be heat damage; solution is easy: stop heat styling it.

Not once in my life has my hair been touched by a heat styling tool.

Lady Stardust
October 3rd, 2022, 04:54 AM
It might be worth asking around local hair salons about extensions to get an idea of the cost. tuanyiji has shared a fair amount of knowledge regarding possible solutions and to be honest I don’t think the rest of the members here (including me) will be able to expand on that. As tuanyiji says, extensions can cause extra stress on the follicles which may already be struggling and my worry would be that extensions could make it worse. I don’t have any experience in this though.

There are some topical treatments that can be put on the scalp to encourage growth, but that doesn’t give you an immediate solution.

Hair around the hairline can be particularly fragile. Using a silk or satin pillowcase might help to stop damage to those areas. It made a huge difference to my hair when I started wearing a satin sleep cap, areas that always suffered from breakage started growing much better. Sleep caps are not everyone’s thing :) so a pillowcase is a good alternative.

For what it’s worth, I think your hair looks great. I absolutely get that you’re not happy with the change, and having suffered from various big sheds myself, leading to thinning over the last couple of years, I understand how upsetting it is. By the age of 25, I think most guys are seeing some thinning around the temples and I don’t think most people will even register the difference to your hair, as much as you do. We are our own worst critics.

It sounds like you are a seasoned performer and I have no doubt that you have the stage presence to carry off your music video with confidence. I would quote Nick Cave’s mum here but forum guidelines don’t allow the language :) If you’re interested read Issue #14 of The Red Hand Files (https://www.theredhandfiles.com/your-mother-most-helpful-advice-gave-you/).

HairNightmare
October 5th, 2022, 03:43 AM
It might be worth asking around local hair salons about extensions to get an idea of the cost. tuanyiji has shared a fair amount of knowledge regarding possible solutions and to be honest I don’t think the rest of the members here (including me) will be able to expand on that. As tuanyiji says, extensions can cause extra stress on the follicles which may already be struggling and my worry would be that extensions could make it worse. I don’t have any experience in this though.

There are some topical treatments that can be put on the scalp to encourage growth, but that doesn’t give you an immediate solution.

Hair around the hairline can be particularly fragile. Using a silk or satin pillowcase might help to stop damage to those areas. It made a huge difference to my hair when I started wearing a satin sleep cap, areas that always suffered from breakage started growing much better. Sleep caps are not everyone’s thing :) so a pillowcase is a good alternative.

For what it’s worth, I think your hair looks great. I absolutely get that you’re not happy with the change, and having suffered from various big sheds myself, leading to thinning over the last couple of years, I understand how upsetting it is. By the age of 25, I think most guys are seeing some thinning around the temples and I don’t think most people will even register the difference to your hair, as much as you do. We are our own worst critics.

It sounds like you are a seasoned performer and I have no doubt that you have the stage presence to carry off your music video with confidence. I would quote Nick Cave’s mum here but forum guidelines don’t allow the language :) If you’re interested read Issue #14 of The Red Hand Files (https://www.theredhandfiles.com/your-mother-most-helpful-advice-gave-you/).

Thanks.

I've been using minoxidil for a couple weeks so far - still to see if it does something.

I'm glad you think my hair looks good (in this particular photo), but the thing is, that the hair at the front is highly prone to curling up, so that there's not a single strand hanging down. When looking from the side, this gives me the look of a horrendous mullet.

I've decided to go with Tuanji's suggestion to look for good clip-in extensions after all :D (especially since besides the music video i've got coming up, I got a small acting gig where i'm supposed to be in front of the camera with disheveled hair, filmed from the side for several scenes. The worst thing is that I sent a regular front-facing portrait photo for my audition where they can't tell what my hair looks like in profile, and I don't want to make the producer feel like she got catfished... i'm supposed to be playing a lover... i'm afraid looking half-bald doesn't quite fit the role ��)

Anyways, thank you again and everyone else here as well for your feedback and suggestions. :)

lapushka
October 5th, 2022, 03:57 AM
Not once in my life has my hair been touched by a heat styling tool.

Oh OK. It could have been "the" easy solution.

However, I would stay away from everything but the extensions that you manage yourself, on the daily (so with the little clips). As the other kind can bring about traction on the follicles & head making the entire situation much much worse in the long run.

embee
October 5th, 2022, 11:02 AM
You do *not* look "half bald" - gracious! Your hair looks nice, and probably nobody but you notices anything to complain about. :)

Deborah
October 5th, 2022, 12:36 PM
It looks as though the front of your hair is a bit curlier than it used to be. I actually think it looks better as it surrounds your face in a nice way.

Obsidian
October 5th, 2022, 03:17 PM
I see you are looking at different options than extensions now but I thought I would still chime in.

The keratin infusion extentions are a type that use a adhesive to attach them to your hair, the other kind are ones that they tie into your hair.
The problem with both is they take a a few strands of your hairs to attach the extention too, think of hundreds of teeny tiny ponytails. There really is no way to hide those on bangs.

Do you do any hair styles that pull on your bangs? A really tight man bun for example. What about hats/beanies? Anything that runs rhat area can also break the hairs.

When you wash/brush your hair, are you gentle or do you scrub like you arw trying the reach your skull?

Does the hair on your scalp actually look thinner? Or is just that the ends are thinner? I don't think it looks like you are going bald, not at all

HairNightmare
October 5th, 2022, 04:19 PM
As I said, the picture I posted here first was where I was pulling the hair down; it does not look like that naturally ��

Here's what I had 3 years ago:

https://i.ibb.co/pRVyDpW/IMG-20221006-010805.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

And this is what it looks like naturally:

https://i.ibb.co/zfp4Vmf/IMG-20221006-010121.jpg (https://ibb.co/ryYw2Qy)

It's as if the hair had shrivelled up. Yet at the top, there is still thick hair. And for months and months, it has not gotten better or worse.

I treat my hair with care, I don't wear any buns and rarely wear hats. My hairline has not receded not one bit.

Dark40
October 5th, 2022, 09:03 PM

I from time to time get sewd in partial human hair extensions. I have been ever since back in 1997. I can remember the first time I got my partial extensions it costed me $250.00 for the whole entire head, and the hair stylist that did it...did it from ear to ear, and she parted and braided my hair in small or medium sections into about 7 or 8 tracks, and she also left some of my own hair out.