PDA

View Full Version : I made us a new length chart

Vara La Fey
September 21st, 2022, 01:49 AM
I made a new length chart because the only one I found here was old and had no URL.

There are some errors, esp in the Bob and Pixie area. I can fix it quick n easy, so lemme know.

https://imgur.com/a/GUG44h5

Or maybe I could post a preview right here. We'll see....

https://imgur.com/a/GUG44h5

Ada-banana
September 21st, 2022, 02:18 AM
Looks great and really clear, thank you!

lapushka
September 21st, 2022, 03:02 AM
One minor detail. BSL is seen for a lot of us, below bra strap. Some however say above, so maybe it's a good medium.

ETA/ Looks great, though! :D

tuanyiji
September 21st, 2022, 03:34 AM
I didn't know ankle is called fairytale lol.
I always think of Butt Crack Length/BCL as a line (can be short or long depending on where you count it), while the tailbone/TBL or the coccyx is a fixing point.
There's no fingertip length/FTL here, but this length is determined by your own body, some people like me, FTL=mid thigh, some might be above, while some might be below.
From Classic downward, the milestones are getting farther to reach.

Entangled
September 21st, 2022, 06:06 AM
Nice chart! I would argue that bob is a style more than a length and can have a fair amount of variation. I think MBL and BSL are typically much closer (sometimes interchangeable), while APL and BSL tend to be further apart. Collar is often collarbone. Also, one missing but common milestone is fingertip length! But it would be hard to show that with the figure positioned the way it is.

Suortuva
September 21st, 2022, 06:44 AM
I'm just mildly amused when I compare this to my own body (not any kind of criticism), because it reminds me how different proportions we can have. I'm ridiculously high-hipped, there's barely 2 inches between my lower ribs and top of my hip bone. So if I ever manage to reach waist, that's pretty much even hip for me. What's happens then is abyss...

I was wondering about BSL, there have been lots of discussion about this, and I don't remember what's the most popular opinion. Not everybody wears a bra, so maybe underbust would be better and I think shoulder blades have been mentioned too (though I have never seen mine, so useless for me personally). Anyway, if the bras have a correct size, tha strap is located below boobs. Then of course, the band can be wide, and someone will measure in the top of it and someone else prefers bottom...

LongLocke
September 21st, 2022, 07:19 AM
I'm just mildly amused when I compare this to my own body (not any kind of criticism), because it reminds me how different proportions we can have. I'm ridiculously high-hipped, there's barely 2 inches between my lower ribs and top of my hip bone. So if I ever manage to reach waist, that's pretty much even hip for me. What's happens then is abyss...

I was wondering about BSL, there have been lots of discussion about this, and I don't remember what's the most popular opinion. Not everybody wears a bra, so maybe underbust would be better and I think shoulder blades have been mentioned too (though I have never seen mine, so useless for me personally). Anyway, if the bras have a correct size, tha strap is located below boobs. Then of course, the band can be wide, and someone will measure in the top of it and someone else prefers bottom...

With regards to the BSL and MBL, both APL to MBL thread and MBL to Waist thread have a note from the LHC staff:

Mod Note:
Mid Back Length (MBL)=Bra Strap Length (BSL) and is used as a more inclusive term. If you do not wear a bra, you can locate MBL by wrapping a towel, measuring tape, etc around your torso just below your pectoral muscles/above your diaphragm (which ever is easier to identify), this will show you where MBL lands on your back.

I find that MBL and BSL tend to have 0 consistency between every iteration of length charts. As someone who does not wear a bra, this note was a huge moment of clarity for me. It also gives the user a much more concrete spacial awareness of where the marker is since it’s based on a point on the front of the body that is pretty consistent from person to person.

rosenester
September 21st, 2022, 07:33 AM
Fun! Nice work! I agree with putting BSL directly above MBL on your diagram, or combined would be even better. I wear a bra and am one who uses those interchangeably, bottom of bra strap=MBL.

I also think it’s fun & funny to compare my own proportions to the figure, I have a much shorter torso and WL and HL are 3 inches apart, much closer together than the diagram. Maybe because of my body, I would butt crack length where hip length is and move up hip length to right above BCL. But not everyone uses that marker, and hip length is one of those that really differs with the body, too. I have a bit of a bubble-bum so a bit bigger than the figure!! :ponder: :lol:

tuanyiji
September 21st, 2022, 07:41 AM

Meanwhile I have a ridiculously long torso and it probably took me a year and a half to go from BSL to hip, I’m estimating to pass Classic within 6 months and since I have really short legs, mid-thigh/fingertip and knees seems to be much more accessible from there.

Joyful Mystery
September 21st, 2022, 10:12 AM
Meanwhile I have a ridiculously long torso and it probably took me a year and a half to go from BSL to hip, I’m estimating to pass Classic within 6 months and since I have really short legs, mid-thigh/fingertip and knees seems to be much more accessible from there.

Same!I also have a long torso and short legs. I hit BSL in August and will hit hip by next December, so almost a year and a half between those milestones. Lower half milestones will be quicker for me.

Joyful Mystery
September 21st, 2022, 11:13 AM
Fun! Nice work! I agree with putting BSL directly above MBL on your diagram, or combined would be even better. I wear a bra and am one who uses those interchangeably, bottom of bra strap=MBL.

I also think it’s fun & funny to compare my own proportions to the figure, I have a much shorter torso and WL and HL are 3 inches apart, much closer together than the diagram. Maybe because of my body, I would butt crack length where hip length is and move up hip length to right above BCL. But not everyone uses that marker, and hip length is one of those that really differs with the body, too. I have a bit of a bubble-bum so a bit bigger than the figure!! :ponder: :lol:

Thanks rosenester! I’ll be reaching my next milestone sooner because of you :blushing:

lapushka
September 21st, 2022, 12:17 PM
I didn't know ankle is called fairytale lol.
I always think of Butt Crack Length/BCL as a line (can be short or long depending on where you count it), while the tailbone/TBL or the coccyx is a fixing point.
There's no fingertip length/FTL here, but this length is determined by your own body, some people like me, FTL=mid thigh, some might be above, while some might be below.
From Classic downward, the milestones are getting farther to reach.

It is not. Fairytale = not a length it is the way your hair grows out. That's a bit of a mistake, IMO.

elaina
September 21st, 2022, 01:17 PM
looks like ear and bob are switched but i agree with entangled that bob isnt really a length, bobs can be anywhere from ear to shoulder really.

Vara La Fey
September 21st, 2022, 02:46 PM
Thank y'all for the feedback. :-)

Individual body variations don't matter; I want to just show what the markers ARE so we're all on the same page. That's the info I was looking for yesterday myself. And that free graphic I used is pretty weird anyway. Goofiest armpits I've ever seen. But it's free.

I found a better graphic which also included a side view, but it costs money. :-(

Pixie and Bob lengths vary quite a bit more than I thought, according to the wig site and the hairstyles sites I checked. Plus there's "Lob" and "Bixie". And there's no. Just no.

So.... Pixie and Bob removed.
Ear placed better now that I have label room.
APL placed better as much as that graphic allows.
BSL & MBL combined as per LongLocke re mods. And placed better.
Hip placed better.
Buttcrack added.
Tailbone added.
Classic placed better.
Fingertip added.
Removed "Fairy Tale" from Ankle.
Added Terminal just to be cutesy.

Is it correct now? Lemme know lemme know lemme know.

VERSION 2 (https://imgur.com/zb5OJnL)

Vara La Fey
September 21st, 2022, 02:51 PM
As to proportions, I'm lucky enough to be built roughly like the diagram (ok, I'm heavier atm and my hips go higher), but I'm 6'2", so it takes about 37" (from front hairline, then back and down) just to get solidly to waist. And I'm shooting for Hip, so.... I dunno.... Hopefully it'll get there before I'm too old to take care of it. Frustrating AH tho. :-(

lapushka
September 21st, 2022, 03:35 PM
It looks great to me now! And thank you so much for taking all the feedback on board! :D Priceless! :D

ExpectoPatronum
September 21st, 2022, 03:45 PM
It looks great! Thanks for taking everyone's suggestions. I think an updated chart was a good idea, thanks for taking the time to make it!

baanoo
September 21st, 2022, 04:41 PM
Vara, it looks great! Thank you for taking the time to make this. :flowers;

Kyamo
September 21st, 2022, 07:53 PM
Second version is really good. The only thing I might consider changing is Collar. I think you've marked the height of a collar on a collared shirt. But the length marker I hear used much more commonly for hair is collarbone length, which I thought meant the two bony protrusions below the front of the neck, which on me is longer than shoulder length.

tuanyiji
September 21st, 2022, 09:28 PM
As to proportions, I'm lucky enough to be built roughly like the diagram (ok, I'm heavier atm and my hips go higher), but I'm 6'2", so it takes about 37" (from front hairline, then back and down) just to get solidly to waist. And I'm shooting for Hip, so.... I dunno.... Hopefully it'll get there before I'm too old to take care of it. Frustrating AH tho. :-(

Wow, 37" is my solid tbl (I'm now 36.8"), you tall folks need to be much more patient.
Sometimes I scroll through Instagram and see a long hair little girl that has hip-length hair, then I do a little calculation, that would probably be BSL on me, and I feel much better lol.
If I have my daughter(s), I would probably just let them grow hair as long as they can manage it reasonably on their own and let me plait them prettily. But I wouldn't be sad if they want to have short hair and have fun in the play yard or dye and curl their hair repeatedly - youth is a great time for experiments and exploration. They can can always grow their hair back. I feel lucky that I started the long hair journey later in life when I'm still physically and psychologically stable to seek terminal length but I would have to refrain from too much manipulation and mechanical damage, and not fuss over hair too much that it'd become a burden to my other aspects of life.

Vara La Fey
September 21st, 2022, 10:20 PM
I'm not allowed to delete this redundant post I made? Just don't wanna litter the thread with junk.

Vara La Fey
September 21st, 2022, 10:32 PM
Kyamo is right about Collarbone CBL, so I fixed it.

Once we get a good version, how do I make it easily available to the community? Is there a Files section or something?

I ADDED THE LHC LOGO FROM THE HOME PAGE. Please let me know if I should remove it.

Version 3 (https://imgur.com/KU44IqC)

lapushka
September 22nd, 2022, 02:44 AM
Vara, I would make a new thread, or have the mods change this thread title to say something like ("Updated LHC length chart"). This way this thread can be taken in with the sticky posts (or added to the list in one of the stickies).

It looks really good. I had to LOL because imgur wanted me to confirm I was over 18 years since the image might contain "adult content". :spitting:

Vara La Fey
September 22nd, 2022, 03:07 AM
Vara, I would make a new thread, or have the mods change this thread title to say something like ("Updated LHC length chart"). This way this thread can be taken in with the sticky posts (or added to the list in one of the stickies).
It looks really good. I had to LOL because imgur wanted me to confirm I was over 18 years since the image might contain "adult content". :spitting:

Well, I don't even know how to reach the mods. But I could prolly bring them to me if I directly embed the chart and it gets flagged as "adult content". LOL here too.

neko_kawaii
September 22nd, 2022, 08:02 AM
At the bottom of every post is an icon of a triangle with an exclamation point. If you click on that you can fill out a 'report' and that gets sent to all the mods.

But, since I'm here, lets discuss ways we can make the chart easy to find.

We do not have a Files area. 1) we have the Index to Important Threads and Resources (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=11), 1a) we can rename this thread or 1b) you can start a new thread, and 2) we have the articles section (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php).

Another thing to consider is where to host the image. I'd recommend uploading it to your LHC album as well as providing a link to an external host, that way if one is lost the other remains.

Vara La Fey
September 22nd, 2022, 01:44 PM
At the bottom of every post is an icon of a triangle with an exclamation point. If you click on that you can fill out a 'report' and that gets sent to all the mods.
But, since I'm here, lets discuss ways we can make the chart easy to find.
We do not have a Files area. 1) we have the Index to Important Threads and Resources (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=28&a=11), 1a) we can rename this thread or 1b) you can start a new thread, and 2) we have the articles section (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php).
Another thing to consider is where to host the image. I'd recommend uploading it to your LHC album as well as providing a link to an external host, that way if one is lost the other remains.

Thanks. I'll prolly do all that.

Is it ok that I put the LHC logo on the bottom of the chart?

And if I use the triangular "Report Post" button, that won't actually create a complaint record, will it? I wouldn't want to do that, as I've never seen a bad post here.

neko_kawaii
September 22nd, 2022, 01:58 PM
Thanks. I'll prolly do all that.

Is it ok that I put the LHC logo on the bottom of the chart?

And if I use the triangular "Report Post" button, that won't actually create a complaint record, will it? I wouldn't want to do that, as I've never seen a bad post here.

I don't see why using the logo for this would be a problem. You got lots of feedback from the community.
And don't worry about the report button, it is simply the best way to reach all the mods for any reason.

Dark40
September 22nd, 2022, 04:23 PM
I really think it's a fun and good chart! I also didn't know that ankle length is fairytale as well! Hmm, you live and learn.

Vara La Fey
September 22nd, 2022, 09:22 PM
Wow, 37" is my solid tbl (I'm now 36.8"), you tall folks need to be much more patient.
Sometimes I scroll through Instagram and see a long hair little girl that has hip-length hair, then I do a little calculation, that would probably be BSL on me, and I feel much better lol.
If I have my daughter(s), I would probably just let them grow hair as long as they can manage it reasonably on their own and let me plait them prettily. But I wouldn't be sad if they want to have short hair and have fun in the play yard or dye and curl their hair repeatedly - youth is a great time for experiments and exploration. They can can always grow their hair back. I feel lucky that I started the long hair journey later in life when I'm still physically and psychologically stable to seek terminal length but I would have to refrain from too much manipulation and mechanical damage, and not fuss over hair too much that it'd become a burden to my other aspects of life.

Patience is def required. And we have more time to create doubts about whether our hair will even get that long.

I do the same calculation, but I'm tall enough that I can do it on adults. "Well, gee, my hair is that long too. It just only goes down to my breasts."

Your hair rules for kids and hair sounds like the commonplace rules for kids and pets: "You can keep it if you can take care of it". They always say they can. At least you prolly won't have to cut bubblegum out of their cat.

I don't see why using the logo for this would be a problem. You got lots of feedback from the community.
And don't worry about the report button, it is simply the best way to reach all the mods for any reason.

Thanks. I will put up in some/all the ways you suggested, tonite or tomorrow. Got another project I'm supposed to be doing now....

I really think it's a fun and good chart! I also didn't know that ankle length is fairytale as well! Hmm, you live and learn.

Fairy Tale was an error on my part (well, I copied it from the old chart because I didn't know any better). This is the current one: Version 3 (https://imgur.com/KU44IqC).

Vara La Fey
September 25th, 2022, 01:04 AM

I think I posted it right. It's on my Imgur (https://imgur.com/KU44IqC).

It's in my album (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=14679&attachmentid=47702).

And I made an article (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=775-Length-Chart-front-back-view-24nov2022) - but after I clicked Save it said "not published", and hovering over my name says "Vara La Fey is offline". So I dunno.

Please advise and/or correct as you see fit, and thanks to all of you for the feedback. Now I know how long my hair isn't yet. :)

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2022, 01:45 PM

I think it's because of the bare butt cheeks :lol:

I think I posted it right. It's on my Imgur (https://imgur.com/KU44IqC).

It's in my album (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=14679&attachmentid=47702).

And I made an article (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=775-Length-Chart-front-back-view-24nov2022) - but after I clicked Save it said "not published", and hovering over my name says "Vara La Fey is offline". So I dunno.

Please advise and/or correct as you see fit, and thanks to all of you for the feedback. Now I know how long my hair isn't yet. :)

Hmm, I think you need 1000 posts to be able to publish articles. There's an edit button on it for me … with your permission I could see if it will publish?

Vara La Fey
September 27th, 2022, 06:56 PM
I think it's because of the bare butt cheeks :lol:

Prolly so. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I think you need 1000 posts to be able to publish articles. There's an edit button on it for me … with your permission I could see if it will publish?

Yeah, go for it if you want to. Thx.
EDIT cause I put my reply inside the quote. Then I didn't know wtf I was looking at after it posted. That was weird. :couch:

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2022, 07:40 PM
Ooh. Well it now says published, so hopefully that did it?

Vara La Fey
October 7th, 2022, 03:13 AM
Ooh. Well it now says published, so hopefully that did it?

Thanks for whatever you did.