PDA

View Full Version : The layering conundrum

illicitlizard
September 17th, 2022, 05:57 AM
Hey all, been a while since properly posting on here

the TL;DR is: I have a question that isn't easily answered by trawling the archives, if you have reasonably long hair and layers is it possible to create a neat looking bun?

I ask because I'm almost at TBL, and my hair is starting to overwhelm my frame - I had assumed I'd get to classic length, now I'm not so sure - it looks almost "long enough" as is. I am also starting to want to have a bit of "fun" with my hair after almost 5 years of arduous length maximisation. I had planned to add some layering/Shape to my hair once I'd reached the ultimate goal of classic and started maintaining, this is just bringing forward that end goal.

Last year I got some face framing "layers" (that have slowly morphed into curtain bangs) which I absolutely adore despite their need for maintenance. Looks like my hair has intention when put up, rather than just being long all over. I want the same for my hair when it's down, hence, layers. I remember from my youth that I wasn't a fan of all over layers - but I had much shorter hair then (around BSL), and was unable to get my hair to stay up without spiking out all over the place.

Nowadays, I prefer my hair down or in a bun, I rarely do braids, and when I do I leave a crazy long tail anyway. My question is thus, can I continue to successfully bun my hair (LWB most days, occasionally cinnabun) if I get long layers put into my we'll say TBL hair? In my mind they'd start from approx waist.

Thanks!

akurah
September 17th, 2022, 07:28 AM
Hey all, been a while since properly posting on here

the TL;DR is: I have a question that isn't easily answered by trawling the archives, if you have reasonably long hair and layers is it possible to create a neat looking bun?

I ask because I'm almost at TBL, and my hair is starting to overwhelm my frame - I had assumed I'd get to classic length, now I'm not so sure - it looks almost "long enough" as is. I am also starting to want to have a bit of "fun" with my hair after almost 5 years of arduous length maximisation. I had planned to add some layering/Shape to my hair once I'd reached the ultimate goal of classic and started maintaining, this is just bringing forward that end goal.

Last year I got some face framing "layers" (that have slowly morphed into curtain bangs) which I absolutely adore despite their need for maintenance. Looks like my hair has intention when put up, rather than just being long all over. I want the same for my hair when it's down, hence, layers. I remember from my youth that I wasn't a fan of all over layers - but I had much shorter hair then (around BSL), and was unable to get my hair to stay up without spiking out all over the place.

Nowadays, I prefer my hair down or in a bun, I rarely do braids, and when I do I leave a crazy long tail anyway. My question is thus, can I continue to successfully bun my hair (LWB most days, occasionally cinnabun) if I get long layers put into my we'll say TBL hair? In my mind they'd start from approx waist.

Thanks!

When my hair was longer, I had both a u-shape hemline cut and very long layers (I think they started at BSL but might have been waist) to help with the bulkiness. My memory is really vague, but I'm pretty sure my buns weren't spiky for it because the shortest layer was at BSL or waist.

lapushka
September 17th, 2022, 08:56 AM
I myself have a 2 texture, cut my hair in a wolf cut (see signature, it's layered waist'ish to classic), and I manage a nautilus without bits sticking out. I think it also depends on texture and how you style your hair. I put gel in it and a curl cream and don't comb my hair but when it's wet. So in fact, it's this giant "nest" that I just put up. LOL. No wonder no hair escapes. ;) :p

RedIris
September 17th, 2022, 09:51 AM
My hair is about BCL with long layers and a U hem and I can do any bun without bits sticking out! As long as the layers start at or below waist it seems to be fine

tuanyiji
September 17th, 2022, 10:45 AM
I have a long ass fairytail, by that I literally mean the tail covers my ass, it’s the result of natural growing process without trimming for 3-4 years, so my hair is at various length, not technically layered in the salon sense, but the majority of hair pools around the waist and then tapers sharply to my tailbone where there are like just two racers.
I basically can do any bun that I’ve learned without any messy bits sticking out. Granted I have type 1 hair and I oiled my ends daily so my hair is rather “obedient”, and I do workout in my bun so they stay pretty secure as well. Even my braid shed is not that obvious, naturally grown hair end is so thin and manageable, unlike freshly cut ones that are thick and stubborn.
So as mentioned above by others, if you have enough length to work with, layers won’t be a problem. If there is, just patiently wait for a few months and let mother nature takes over.

lapushka
September 17th, 2022, 11:18 AM
My hair is about BCL with long layers and a U hem and I can do any bun without bits sticking out! As long as the layers start at or below waist it seems to be fine

My shortest layer is waist'ish too, maybe there is something to that! :)

Finda
September 17th, 2022, 01:34 PM
I think most buns are made of the visible part you wrap around your fingers/hand. If you have layers at that length there might be some potential for hair sticking out.

And then there is the leftover hair you wrap around the base. A bit of taper/layers here are actually helpful because you have an easier time securing the bun.

illicitlizard
September 17th, 2022, 04:34 PM
When my hair was longer, I had both a u-shape hemline cut and very long layers (I think they started at BSL but might have been waist) to help with the bulkiness. My memory is really vague, but I'm pretty sure my buns weren't spiky for it because the shortest layer was at BSL or waist.
This is great news, that's basically what I have in mind so I'm glad to hear it wasn't a problem (or at least wasn't memorable enough to remember).

I myself have a 2 texture, cut my hair in a wolf cut (see signature, it's layered waist'ish to classic), and I manage a nautilus without bits sticking out. I think it also depends on texture and how you style your hair. I put gel in it and a curl cream and don't comb my hair but when it's wet. So in fact, it's this giant "nest" that I just put up. LOL. No wonder no hair escapes. ;) :p
Hahaha, I find that works for me if I don't detangle for a day, everything sticks together and bunning becomes quite easy. I also think the product likely helps, I don't use any at the moment (apart from detangler/leave in) but am not opposed to having to grit up my hair with mousse to make it more obedient if need be!
I still haven't got the hang of a nautilus, maybe it's time for another try (maybe it'd be easier if my ends were thinner hmmmmmmm)

Awesome! Thanks for that, these replies are very encouraging.

I have a long ass fairytail, by that I literally mean the tail covers my ass, it’s the result of natural growing process without trimming for 3-4 years, so my hair is at various length, not technically layered in the salon sense, but the majority of hair pools around the waist and then tapers sharply to my tailbone where there are like just two racers.
I basically can do any bun that I’ve learned without any messy bits sticking out. Granted I have type 1 hair and I oiled my ends daily so my hair is rather “obedient”, and I do workout in my bun so they stay pretty secure as well. Even my braid shed is not that obvious, naturally grown hair end is so thin and manageable, unlike freshly cut ones that are thick and stubborn.
So as mentioned above by others, if you have enough length to work with, layers won’t be a problem. If there is, just patiently wait for a few months and let mother nature takes over.
I'm seeing a trend that adding product/oil to the hair might be a key if I do find layers to be a problem - and you're right, just wait a few months and it won't be as much of an issue. I think our hair is slightly different in that my braid shred is insane no matter what I do - so now I think of it I have a bunch of "short" hairs sticking out of my braids anyway when I do wear them...

I think most buns are made of the visible part you wrap around your fingers/hand. If you have layers at that length there might be some potential for hair sticking out.

And then there is the leftover hair you wrap around the base. A bit of taper/layers here are actually helpful because you have an easier time securing the bun.
That makes a lot of sense, when I'm desperately due for a trim and my ends start getting a bit thinner it is easier to bun. I'm starting to think why not, let's give this a go. As long as they remain long layers I should be ok - as long as I don't end up with a complex about my "thin" ends :p

spidermom
September 17th, 2022, 07:35 PM
My hair is layered and my buns look fairly neat, especially when I use product. Whether I have layers or not, I've got about a million ends sticking out of my braids. That's hair for you; each one has its own growth cycle, so there are about a million lengths.

AmaryllisRed
September 17th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Maybe my hair is just rebellious? It's about hip length with layers in the bottom 4" or so and I cannot make a neat bun at all. I've embraced the messy look.

foreveryours
September 17th, 2022, 10:03 PM
My hair is layered and my buns look fairly neat, especially when I use product. Whether I have layers or not, I've got about a million ends sticking out of my braids. That's hair for you; each one has its own growth cycle, so there are about a million lengths.

I've never had layers cut in mine. I'm envious. I only wish I had a million ends sticking out of mine!