PDA

View Full Version : Uber fine hair: how to add grip but avoid turning into glue when damp? Also 'cone ?

DarleneH
September 13th, 2022, 06:39 AM
I've lamented on here how my hair has more in common with spider silk than normal human hair, and when hair is that fine-textured then styling products are kind of a nightmare. They turn into glue if they get the least bit damp, and then you just have a matted mess to deal with. So I'm trying to figure out what I can add that will make my hair more grippy for things like barrettes and headbands so they don't slide around, but what won't turn to a gluey mess in this rain forest I live in. Maybe dry shampoo? I don't care to use that stuff for cleaning, but it might work better as a styling product for me. So what would be your suggestion?

On a related note, silicones always felt like they did great for my hair as they seemed to add heft to each strand and made them fall away from each other rather than stick together like spider silk. I got away from silicones for a long time but maybe I need to go back to them? One thing I did not like about them was how they made my hair straighter. I guess getting coated with that waxy substance was just too much weight for the strands. So what are your thoughts on silicones on really fine-textured hair?

lapushka
September 13th, 2022, 06:42 AM
I would do a volume mousse. It is the best thing for fine hair. My mom uses it again, and is glad she went back to it. Hers is from Elnett, but I don't believe it's necessarily a volume one. Might be for her curl set.

That and putting your hair on curlers, but not the hot rollers, the cold, roll when damp, dry the rest of the way type of deal.

My mom is now between APL & BSL, and it works fantastically for her. That and knowing how to comb!

spidermom
September 13th, 2022, 08:50 AM
I would recommend trying the dry shampoo first - lightly. I've seen styles on YouTube where a texture spray was added for grip, but I have never tried one. As lapushka suggested, a roller set will add body.

DarleneH
September 13th, 2022, 11:01 AM
OK, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "texture spray", so thank you for that! That and maybe also using mousse like lapushka suggested might just be the answer to these small prayers. :) Thanks, guys!

Hedera
September 13th, 2022, 11:14 AM
As someone with hair so fine that individual strands are pretty much invisible, and just float away on their own, I feel your pain!

I've started using home made flaxseed gel (the recipe I use is in Dutch, but it's basically 20 grams of whole seeds boiled in 200 millilitres of water until it starts getting slimey, then strain - lots of recipes online as well) and it's the best thing I have ever used! :inlove:

You can use a little or a LOT, and it's easily combed or brushed out again (once it has dried).
Also, it gives lots of good moisture to your hair, it's as much hair treatment as it is styling help.

Since I've started using it, my hair has become 'heavier', less flyaway.

rosenester
September 13th, 2022, 11:27 AM
I have made flax seed gel to use for my fine hair, it seemed to coat the strands nicely and prevent spiderweb tangles, works well for my 2b texture, as I don’t need a strong hold.

lapushka
September 13th, 2022, 11:53 AM
But you guys use the flaxseed gel as a styler, no? Because I have seen recipes where it is used differently. Or, am I just imagining things. :hmm:

Hedera
September 13th, 2022, 12:45 PM
Yes, I use it as a styler! :)

And as a hairmask, texture improver, etc - it's wonderful stuff!
Edit: 'multifunctional' is the word I was trying to find... it's been a long day. :pumpkin:

rosenester
September 13th, 2022, 06:41 PM
But you guys use the flaxseed gel as a styler, no? Because I have seen recipes where it is used differently. Or, am I just imagining things. :hmm:

Yes, I mostly used it as a styler, but also tried it as a deep treatment a couple times. Both ways I mixed a bit of aloe, jojoba or coconut oil, and essential oil for scent. I found it all too much work to continue, but my hair responded very well to it for both uses. I may try again, but making a big batch would involve using up much needed freezer space for hair product when food is much more important :ponder:

SparkleTess
September 15th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Following because… same.