PDA

View Full Version : Color of my hair? blue showing up?

skay
November 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok, I was taking photos of my wet hair for the wet hair thread, and I noticed my hair color looked different.

Is it me or does my hair look bluish or something? What color does it look?

Note: I don't dye my hair or put any henna, indigo, etc. on it (if anything, there's a few inches of faded regular henna on the bottom few inches). No oil eitiher (have been lazy). I have sporadic washes with diluted Dr. Bronners shampoo. Last night I did use baking soda and ACV (I probably do this every few months but will probably not do it long term or will do it less frequently).

Photos are taken with natural sunlight in the room.

No flash.

P.S. Don't I look like I could be a witch from the classic children fairytale books? :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/wet-hair3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/wet-hair-side3.jpg

spidermom
November 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Wow; that does look blue, and a very pretty shade of blue it is. I've noticed before that some dark-haired people have blue highlights under certain lights, also very dark colors of skin can have a blue tone as well. It looks good.

Periwinkle
November 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yes, it does look quite blue - and it's stunning!

I'm just gonna go be jealous now, if you don't mind.

Xanthippe
November 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Wow, that's pretty! Makes me want to try that! How odd though, I wonder what caused it? You don't have any prankster roommates do you?

AJoifulNoise
November 16th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yes, it does look quite blue - and it's stunning!

I'm just gonna go be jealous now, if you don't mind.

Same here. I wish I could grow blue hair!

SweetPea88
November 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Yep! Mine does that too in certain lights, I love it. :)

Unofficial_Rose
November 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Definitely looks blue to me. I love your wave pattern.

Add me to the "jealous" list!

SaveTheTapirs
November 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Whoa cool...I think it's some kind of optical illusion. Looks awesome.

Speckla
November 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
It looks very blue. Your avatar has a slightly blue tint to it. I think it's really neat.
________
FERRARI 360 (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_360)

MermaidGirl
November 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
That looks awesome! I hope you're not worried about it at all, it looks totally cool.

P.S. And for pete's sake, NO you don't look like a witch! Maybe if those highlights were green ...! J/K, you actually look very pretty and very un-witchlike (judging by the side view pic).

Xandergrammy
November 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Wow! I'm jealous, too! I can't wait to watch your hair grow! :inlove:

Isilme
November 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
does it look blue in the mirror too? Because cameran can often capture colour in a weird way, especially if the are compact cameras and aren't as advanced as a DSLR camera

<She>
November 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yes! It's blue :agree: oh what a beautiful color! I would love to have that haircolor!

CaityBear
November 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
That's cool. That is a very pretty shade. It looks good actually.

lilalong
November 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Is there a big blue area, like a wall or a couch or something, where you took the picture? Because when I take hair pics sitting on my couch, my hair gets a distinct green tint. It's just the green light coming from the couch, though...

Just_Isabel
November 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
does it look blue in the mirror too? Because cameran can often capture colour in a weird way, especially if the are compact cameras and aren't as advanced as a DSLR camera

Is there a big blue area, like a wall or a couch or something, where you took the picture? Because when I take hair pics sitting on my couch, my hair gets a distinct green tint. It's just the green light coming from the couch, though...

I was going to ask these questions, too. Cameras can make the colors a bit different, and a big area with a strong color could make other things look that color, too. Both of these things have happened to me before.

Either way, it does look extremely cool. :D Very nice blue color. :agree:

Raven69
November 16th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Wow...just wow! I am super jealous! I want my hair to look like that (black with blue tint). If you didn't dye it blue/have blue low lights/high lights or anything like that...

Angellen
November 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
That looks gorgeous! I'd love naturally blue hair.

I do think it might be something to do with the camera settings or your surroundings of something. Sometimes when I take pictures of my hair it looks cranberry red.

I love your waves, too. :)

GlassEyes
November 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Positively smurfy.

In a cooler, hair-colored, less creepy kind of way. It's awesome. xD I think it's an optical illusion as well, but your hair may very well have a blue undertone as many here have said.

RoseRedDead
November 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
That's absolutely beautiful... I'm sorry if you don't like it, cause if I had it myself I'd be giddy with glee.

Elenna
November 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Your hair is a gorgeous & unusual color. I've heard of black hair with blue high lights, but your's is truly blue. ;)

skay
November 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Smurfy - good word Glass Eyes. :)

Oh, but I see a few non-believers in the crowd. That's ok. I know where you're coming from. :)

Just being dramatic there. :)

Technical-type notes:

1. No blue couches, walls, clothes, windows, lights, etc. nearby. If you could see my expression, I'm looking in wonderment out a clear glass window (which has beige blinds) at a parking lot. :)

2. I guess my hair looks more black in the mirror but it picks up light pretty well so it won't just look "just black" if there's sunlight in the room, etc. In addition, I have some white hair which is picking up the light as well.

3. There's no electric light turned on in the room and no camera flash. Just some natural sun in the room.

4. FYI - no manipulations were done in Photoshop (I just cropped the photos and added text).

5. I'm just using the regular settings (no flash) on a Kodakshare camera.

I have a few photos that I was going to throw away but I'll add them here.

The hair shows the most blue when wet (see page 1). Here are some pics when the hair is dry.

:arrow: As you can see, there is sunlight in the back walls, on my arm, on different parts of my hair. This changes the color of my hair when the strong sun rays shine directly on my hair.

Now, I must show some of the "normal" coloring that appears in my hair along with the bluish-highlights and reduce the mystery a little. ;)

Anyway, I'll let you decide what you see. :) :magic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/dry-hair-colors3.jpg

arylkin
November 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Wow- I wish I had your color hair- it's beautiful!! :)

Addy
November 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I can see the blue on your dry hair! It certainly is unusual <not in a bad way;) > if it is completely virgin hair. I think it's pretty cool. :cool:

So tell us, do you feel lucky? :D

Anje
November 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Wow, that's really an awesome hair color!

While I've heard of blue-black hair before, yours is the first I've seen that looks like it has royal blue streaks in it. Because it shows up so much when it's wet, I'd be willing to bet that at least some of the color is from it reflecting the color of the sky. I love it!

sneakybea
November 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hmm, maybe you're a mermaid? Seriously, though, that looks really cool!

skay
November 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Sneakybea, yeah being a mermaid would be fun!

Speaking of mermaids...

That looks awesome! I hope you're not worried about it at all, it looks totally cool.

P.S. And for pete's sake, NO you don't look like a witch! Maybe if those highlights were green ...! J/K, you actually look very pretty and very un-witchlike (judging by the side view pic).

Mermaidgirl, yeah green highlights would be cool! This reminds me of how I want to see the Broadway show "Wicked!"

Thanks for the comment. Oh how the hair does hide one's flaws. ;)

All, I'm just going to add one more pic set:

It shows most of my hair as black (when the daylight is subdued); and then shows the highlights when the daylight is pure, natural and in the room (no yellow sun rays).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/dry-black-blue3.jpg

P.S. My hair is indeed virgin hair except maybe the last 3 inches which has faded henna. I usually only fully wash my hair maybe twice in 1 month with some mild stuff (see page 1 of this thread for details).

I don't like how the chlorine dries out my hair (even though I have a showerhead filter (an inexpensive one). It dries out my skin and it's probably doing it to my hair. I end up spritzing my hair with distilled water every day.

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
That's cool!!! I thought you'd done a photoshop, but I did recall reading something about true black hair having that ability to change hue/under pigment. You're the first person I've seen to have black/blue hair. But, I do remember seeing a man from africa who was so black, he had that black/blue colored skin. Really gorgeous color! :)

Aisha25
November 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
My webcam it takes a blue tinge in my hair but the 8mega pixel one it takes like white highlights from my hair. I dont know how to say I think it's white:lol:.

Vitalai
November 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Wow, Skay! You're so lucky! You've got mermaid hair! It looks stunning.

iris
November 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Very pretty! It's not strange at all - blue-black hair is a 'normal' color to have. Human hair color is made up of only two pigments. The blueish one is eumelanin (which I think can take several forms - yellowish and blueish - the other pigment is a pinkish red). You can see blue also in lighter-haired folks - gray hair can also have a blue sheen, and so can blond hair (the much-abhorred 'dirty blond' has a bluish tint, or greenish when it combines with the yellow form).

ETA: cameras do sometimes pick up colors differently from how we perceive them IRL, can you also see the blue when you take a mirror to the spot where it photographs blue?

BlackfootHair
November 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
When I used to color my hair black I would use a blue black color and shampoo with Thailand Sunsilk's Black shine shampoo...which imparted a blue tint to it. So embrace your blueness! :)

MermaidGirl
November 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
My Italian grandmother had blue-black hair. Her daughter (my mom) was blonde as a child, and her grand-daughter (me) was a tow-head as a child, so we did not get lucky with the wonderful blue-black hair color gene!

Heidi_234
November 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM
God that does look stunning.
Although cameras do distort color sometimes. Do you see this color when you're just looking in the mirror, or it only seem to be in the camera?
I remember I wanted blue hair once and I was told I had to bleach white it first or it will turn out green. I preferred to have my brown hair on my head than blue hair in my brush so I had to give up on the idea.

sahiba
November 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
:blueeek: Frankly I have never seen anything like this before , but its lovely.:)
You have got so many compliments on your "blue hair" that by now you must be loving it.;)

skay
November 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone, I enjoyed reading your comments and thank you for all the compliments.

AJoyfulNoise, you got a chuckle out of me when you talked about growing blue hair. :)

Anyway, the reality is my hair has just some kind of healthy, natural, deep black as well as deep white colors. I don't think you can see the blue in real life.

That said ...

I think my hair does give off blue in some optical lighting illusion-type thing in some cases.

:arrow: You know how you can only see certain things on camera??

You know... like ghosts :face: , fairies :magic: or a bigfoot shadow. LOL. :D...In seriousness, I think the "blue coloring" in my hair can only be seen with the camera.

That said, ;) , I think the color can be difficult to capture on camera under the following conditions that I used:

Try it out (and let us know how it goes):

(1) Virgin hair only

And no Thailand silk shine stuff. :) Glad it had worked for you though BlackfootHair. Having the blue-black gene like MermaidGirl's Italian grandmother helps (sorry to hear that it skipped you, MermaidGirl. Would love to see though your ethereal mermaid light-colored hair! :) )

(2) Pure open daylight only. No artificial lights in the room. No flash.

Note: A picture with your webcam while the computer is glowing in front of you does NOT count. ;)

(3) A decent camera that shows "accurate" colors for the most part. No flash. Lots of daylight only.

So, the hair probably reflects, diffuses, etc. light in a certain way that the camera picks up.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So Sahiba, Addy and all: the comments were enjoyable and it's nice to have "blue hair" though the naked eye can't see it.

Spidermom, Iris, Isilme, Darkhorse1, Heidi_234 and all the other well-grounded folks in this community, great factual information and insights.

Xandergrammy, thanks! I feel I can now start growing my hair from where it is. Will post updates.

vividdreamer
November 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM
That's SO cool! I've looked at all of your pics like, five times. Your hair is gorgeous. It's almost like the "fire" you see in hennaed hair, except...blue. And natural. I'm jealous! :p

ssjhotau2
November 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Love the hair, the blue is awesome. I really like the way it seems like some streaks are more blue then others. I'll add myself to the jealous list aswell :)

MountainGypsy
November 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
You have my dream color, it is fantastic!

MAO
November 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
It's the way the light is shining off your hair causing the blue effect. And what a beautiful effect it is!

sneakybea
November 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I knew when I saw your photos they reminded me of something; it's the cover art for this book!
http://www.patriciabriggs.com/images/covers/bonecrossed_big.jpg
(It's a cool series, BTW).
I like the idea of your blue hair being invisible to the naked eye; makes it that much more magical!

paper
November 18th, 2008, 07:47 AM
My Mom used to say, someones hair was so black it was blue. Whatever that means! It is very pretty though. :crush:

Newniepg
November 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
That is very VERY beautiful! I always wanted hair so black that it had a blue tint to it. You are very fortunate, please add me to the list of envious people!

Ryanne
November 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM
It really is blue, but a very pretty kind of blue. Really beautiful.

lora410
November 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM
yup, it is blue. That is your nautural color? That is a very pretty color!!

skay
November 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hi lora410, yup, that's my original/hair color (except for a few inches at the bottom of my hair which has some faded regular henna). I'm pretty much a minimalist in regards to my hair and stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

That's SO cool! I've looked at all of your pics like, five times. Your hair is gorgeous. It's almost like the "fire" you see in hennaed hair, except...blue. And natural. I'm jealous! :p

Vividdreamer, wow, I love that comparison with henna! I like how you said my hair has that "fire" except that it's blue. I'm pretty much into natural stuff and I've used henna(red) in the past and I do believe in the power of its natural, lighting, fire-like effects. So thanks much for pointing that out! :)

I stopped using henna just to go simpler.

You have my dream color, it is fantastic! Aww, thanks! Perhaps you have some blue waiting to get out. :)

Love the hair, the blue is awesome. I really like the way it seems like some streaks are more blue then others. I'll add myself to the jealous list aswell :) Thanks ssjotau2. Yeah it's interesting to see different shades of streaks.

It's the way the light is shining off your hair causing the blue effect. And what a beautiful effect it is! Thanks MAO! I'll have to take pics again to see what shows up later in time.

I knew when I saw your photos they reminded me of something; it's the cover art for this book!
http://www.patriciabriggs.com/images/covers/bonecrossed_big.jpg
(It's a cool series, BTW).
I like the idea of your blue hair being invisible to the naked eye; makes it that much more magical!

Hi again sneakybea, wow thank you for posting that really cool novel cover. Her hair does an uncanny familiarity -- the silver highlights, black-blue wavy hair. Wow.

I do enjoy a good book. And a NY Times Best Seller author no less. Thanks for the book recommendation.

All, thank you for the cool comments and compliments. :)