PDA

View Full Version : I need to straighten part of my hair

marla
August 30th, 2022, 08:59 PM
The hairs at the nape of my neck are curly and the rest of it is pretty straight. This causes a very straggly look in the back, as I have very little volume, with much of the hair bunched up and not experiencing the full length.

I've decided to try and chemically straighten the hair at the nape of the neck so that it matches the rest of my hair and thicken up the hem line. But I am having a hard time finding a permanent chemical straightener.

When I was in high school we used to buy these products all the time, but now I see they are no longer sold in stores? One brand I used was Ogilvie and I think it's out of business?

I don't use heat products so I need something that is applied on the hair preferably permanent.

baanoo
August 31st, 2022, 06:29 PM
I can’t speak to any chemically straightening products but I would advise trying a bit of aloe gel, a heavy serum, and a fine toothed comb when your hair is wet to pull the curls out when you put it up. A lot less damage and hopefully your nape hair will grow long enough for the weight to help take out the curl.

My shorter hairs are mostly full 3a spirals and while I embrace the regency look I realize it’s not for everyone!

marla
August 31st, 2022, 06:35 PM
I can’t speak to any chemically straightening products but I would advise trying a bit of aloe gel, a heavy serum, and a fine toothed comb when your hair is wet to pull the curls out when you put it up. A lot less damage and hopefully your nape hair will grow long enough for the weight to help take out the curl.

My shorter hairs are mostly full 3a spirals and while I embrace the regency look I realize it’s not for everyone!

I have aloe gel. I could try that. What type of serum? Any recommendations?

Dark40
September 1st, 2022, 03:52 PM
The hairs at the nape of my neck are curly and the rest of it is pretty straight. This causes a very straggly look in the back, as I have very little volume, with much of the hair bunched up and not experiencing the full length.

I've decided to try and chemically straighten the hair at the nape of the neck so that it matches the rest of my hair and thicken up the hem line. But I am having a hard time finding a permanent chemical straightener.

When I was in high school we used to buy these products all the time, but now I see they are no longer sold in stores? One brand I used was Ogilvie and I think it's out of business?

I don't use heat products so I need something that is applied on the hair preferably permanent.

I'm not sure if this permanent chemical straightener will work for you. I have naturally curly/wavy hair too, and every 4 months I straighten or touch my hair up with this relaxer called, "Bantu Regular Strength Relaxer." I've also tried Ogilivie many years ago too but I haven't seen it on the market out where I live in 20 years. I hope this helps! The Bantu Regular Strength Relaxer is very mild and less damaging.

baanoo
September 1st, 2022, 05:05 PM
I have aloe gel. I could try that. What type of serum? Any recommendations?

I’m not much of a product junkie tbh, but the serum I use is Chi’s silk infusion - very coney, very soft and coats my hair enough if I apply too much that a comb through pulls out allll my wave.

spidermom
September 1st, 2022, 05:33 PM
I’m not much of a product junkie tbh, but the serum I use is Chi’s silk infusion - very coney, very soft and coats my hair enough if I apply too much that a comb through pulls out allll my wave.

I love that one!

rosenester
September 1st, 2022, 08:41 PM

What does this product smell like?? I can’t get a description online from the manufacturer and the reviews are mostly vague!

baanoo
September 2nd, 2022, 05:59 AM
What does this product smell like?? I can’t get a description online from the manufacturer and the reviews are mostly vague!

This is tricky! It smells a little like green leaves in the morning, but with a silky, posh-aftershave twist. It’s not sweet or floral, but fresh and soft and …somehow specific. I find the scent dissipates quickly.

Spidermom, how would you describe it?

rosenester
September 2nd, 2022, 08:53 AM
This is tricky! It smells a little like green leaves in the morning, but with a silky, posh-aftershave twist. It’s not sweet or floral, but fresh and soft and …somehow specific. I find the scent dissipates quickly.

Spidermom, how would you describe it?
Thanks for your description- I’m intrigued! I’ll try to find it somewhere to do a sniff test, i suppose if it doesn’t linger then the smell doesn’t quite matter either way.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2022, 09:08 AM
Chi to me smells totally like a man's cologne. I have the serum!

Dark40
September 2nd, 2022, 08:01 PM
Chi to me smells totally like a man's cologne. I have the serum!

Yes, you're definitely right about that! I love the smell of Chi, and I also have the serum too!

rosenester
September 10th, 2022, 05:32 PM
I am going to buy this serum, thanks for the feedback everyone. Not the derail the original purpose of this thread, since I am not opposed to it pulling out some of my wave, especially the under layers that are much curlier than the crown. Similar to what marla describes in the first post of this thread as the nape having more texture. Sometimes it’s nice to have a more uniform wave pattern, which is why I usually wear cinnabuns. When I let it down again it has a pretty wave, slightly pulled straighter from my natural wave pattern.

baanoo
September 10th, 2022, 06:24 PM
I am going to buy this serum, thanks for the feedback everyone. Not the derail the original purpose of this thread, since I am not opposed to it pulling out some of my wave, especially the under layers that are much curlier than the crown. Similar to what marla describes in the first post of this thread as the nape having more texture. Sometimes it’s nice to have a more uniform wave pattern, which is why I usually wear cinnabuns. When I let it down again it has a pretty wave, slightly pulled straighter from my natural wave pattern.

:twisted: so glad to be an enabler! Hopefully OP pops in one of these days with an update.

marla
September 11th, 2022, 03:32 PM
:twisted: so glad to be an enabler! Hopefully OP pops in one of these days with an update.

I am going to look around the serums I have to see if I can straighten my hair without the use of a chemical product. However, I am concerned that what I have will just make it look greasy and thin, which will exacerbate the problem. I might try the one recommended as well.