PDA

View Full Version : I'm developing natural highlights...

Aviara
August 29th, 2022, 03:32 PM
My hair looks just like this (https://www.reddit.com/r/femalehairadvice/comments/3zcq3j/anyone_have_an_explanation_for_why_my_natural/) (just longer): stripes of brown against mostly black, and it's a little wavy when it air-dries.

I'd gotten used to the idea of the bottom of my hair being a lighter color than the roots, but I realized recently that some of my hair is brown from the roots down! It's not even the hair that's most exposed to UV rays: it's mostly the hair around the nape of my neck and behind my ears, kind of like the "peekaboo hair color" trend. It's a very warm brown, which doesn't really go with my overall "look".

Is hair gloss (products like this (https://xmondohair.com/collections/shop-all-color/products/super-slate-grey), though not that particular one because I can't get it in Canada) capable of restoring my hair to jet-black? Is there a known recent cause or is it probably genetic? (No one in my family has this.)

mermaid lullaby
August 30th, 2022, 09:23 PM
Interesting, I didn't know black hair did that...thats pretty neat!

shelomit
September 1st, 2022, 12:53 AM
Huh. My hair is lighter at the top than the bottom, but it's a smooth change along the length of it and I presume it's just due to sun exposure. I have no experience with lightening around the nape. Are you seeing this trend in "full-grown" hairs, or in the baby hairs right at the hairline? I know it's not uncommon for people's baby hair to have a different texture than the rest, so perhaps they could also be a different shade.

Lady Stardust
September 1st, 2022, 01:29 AM
My nape hair, and the hair at my temples, became resistant to henna, so the henna always looked lighter on those areas. Some people go grey in those areas first.

I wonder if your hair is losing pigment? I stopped dyeing my hair years ago and the nape and temple areas aren’t grey, but there was definitely some kind of change to them, as evidenced by the henna.

Aviara
September 3rd, 2022, 09:06 PM
The weird thing is that my baby hairs are black. The brown hair seems to grow in small clumps, and it's brown from root to tip on fairly long strands, over 6".

Is pigmentation loss just something that comes with aging? I'm in my mid-twenties, so while I do know the odd person with a tuft of white hair no one around me seems to be greying yet.

shelomit
September 4th, 2022, 09:14 AM
I have friends who have been graying since their teens, much less their twenties--it hits everybody a little differently. I can scarcely remember my dad with dark hair, whereas my mother still hasn't found a grey strand now in her mid-fifties.

JasminxCat
September 4th, 2022, 11:59 PM
That's exactly what mind does. Some natural highlights here and there from the roots down. I have dark brown hair with my highlights being a medium brown with somewhat a red tint in certain light. I love it.

Sunrise_runner
November 9th, 2022, 09:52 AM
My ends always end up a few shades lighter than my roots from the sun. I also get a reddish highlight to my dark brown hair when I spend a lot of time in the sun. I love it! My mom and a couple of my nieces get the same thing.

WednesdayAddams
November 9th, 2022, 10:37 AM
My son's hair does this, but his hair isn't black. It was blonde when he was a baby and now it is pretty much a level 6-ish (??). BUT he has gorgeous highlights. I realize it means sun exposure and that can mean damage but I mean...it is so pretty. I tell him all the time I'm jealous.