PDA

View Full Version : Leather slide slides right off. Any advice?

Nineteenbirds
August 20th, 2022, 05:28 PM
I bought a beautiful leather slide at the Renaissance Faire today, but, even though it fits snugly around my ponytail, it slides out after a short time. I've tried substituting a few different sticks from my collection for the stick that came with it, including some curved ones, but a tighter fit don't seem to help. I am thinking of sticking something to the backside of the leather to give it a little more grip but that's as far as I've gotten with this. Does anyone have any ideas for what to try?

lapushka
August 20th, 2022, 06:12 PM
Often it is the style. Ponytails? Nah. I wouldn't with a leather slide. Buns on the other hand might work perfectly. As you scoop some scalp hair with the stick, the whole thing is more destined to stay put.

C_Bookworm
August 21st, 2022, 01:27 AM
Hair elastic underneath, leather slide over the top. (My hair is slippy too).

Hedera
August 21st, 2022, 04:09 AM
Yeah, slides are tricky, you have to get the size *exactly* right.

Like some people do with Flexi-8s that slide out, you could try wrapping some of those extremely grippy silicone hair elastics around the stick.

TatsuOni
August 25th, 2022, 10:58 AM
I never use my slides for ponytails. They would never hold. Instead I use them in updos or French braids.

Nineteenbirds
August 27th, 2022, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I do have a couple of older leather slides that stay up in a ponytail, but I've never seen one big enough to hold any bun that I might try. I don't use elastic bands because they do so much damage to my hair. But I did run some coarse-grain sandpaper on the back of this new one and also on the stick, and that has helped somewhat.

blesseddamozel
August 31st, 2022, 02:11 AM
Seconding C_Bookworm, I always use an elastic underneath a hair slide to keep it secure in place. If you don't use elastic bands maybe you could tie a ribbon and use that to poke the hair slide stick through?

shelomit
September 1st, 2022, 12:51 AM
Is the back side of the leather napped? If it's too smooth, you might try getting thin chamois-type leather (sold fairly cheaply at auto parts stores, since it's used in buffing cars) and adding it to the underside of the slide. I have a couple of Hopi-style chamois hair ornaments that a friend made for me. I can use them to tie off double pigtails and they hold all day.

Nineteenbirds
September 1st, 2022, 10:53 AM
Great idea! I will try that and let you know. Thanks!