PDA

View Full Version : I tried to tint my hair, but it didn't work?

Stardreamer
August 16th, 2022, 08:27 PM
Hi, so I've been using the brand Kiss Tintation on and off since March last year. I had used Ruby Red and Emerald so far. I tried out the Orchid one (purple) yesterday. I still have a bit of red in my hair from my last tint in early May (it usually fades out completely by now but I did put it on quite strong) but thought the purple tint would just go on top and mix a bit to make a nice shade.

I put it on, waited for the 15 minutes, then washed it out and it all washed out. Now my hair is dry there's no purple colour at all, just the remainder of the red. The tint didn't even stain my skin or the shower floor, the water washed it off easily which is unusual. Is the problem with the tint or my hair? My hair smells like the tint but it didn't work at all whereas the other colours worked and I'm baffled.

Dark40
August 16th, 2022, 10:03 PM
What kind of tint is it? Is it a permanent tint? Or, a temporary one? Because, usually temporary ones do wash out a lot easier than the permanent ones.

foreveryours
August 16th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Hi, so I've been using the brand Kiss Tintation on and off since March last year. I had used Ruby Red and Emerald so far. I tried out the Orchid one (purple) yesterday. I still have a bit of red in my hair from my last tint in early May (it usually fades out completely by now but I did put it on quite strong) but thought the purple tint would just go on top and mix a bit to make a nice shade.

I put it on, waited for the 15 minutes, then washed it out and it all washed out. Now my hair is dry there's no purple colour at all, just the remainder of the red. The tint didn't even stain my skin or the shower floor, the water washed it off easily which is unusual. Is the problem with the tint or my hair? My hair smells like the tint but it didn't work at all whereas the other colours worked and I'm baffled.

For your other successful tints, did you have prior color still showing? Maybe purple binds hair similarly to red (I'm too lazy to look up the chemical structures of the particular dyes involved and do the research), but because you've already saturated those sites with a prior application of red, which is still there, there's no place for the purple to bind? Just my hunch but, as I said, I'm too lazy :p

rosenester
August 17th, 2022, 07:39 AM
This has happened to me when the dye was not saturated enough, like lilac vs eggplant. I have never used this brand of dye, maybe they have a darker shade of purple to try?

ETA
I looked them up & do see many shades available. I’d bet the ‘orchid’ may work better on blonde or lightened hair. They don’t seem to mention that at all, many brands have a chart so you can see which ones are recommended for your starting color. They simply show results on 3 shades of blonde. Not sure what your starting level is for your hair, but overtone makes more saturated colors specifically for brunettes

Obsidian
August 17th, 2022, 07:59 AM
It also might need to be left on longer. I've used some dyes that needed to sit for a hour for good color uptake