PDA

View Full Version : Mousse vs. Gel?

Aurora Angel
August 16th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone! ;)

Does anybody have a preference on mousse vs. gel? Which one do you think is better? I have very slight wurls (2a?) and I like to do heatless curls via buns and such to get a nice polished curl. If I don't use anything, my hair will fall flat super quick, and on top of that, it'll be frizzy and unmanageable. Hairspray doesn't seem to work for me and it dries out my hair and makes it icky (maybe I'm using the wrong one? I use frizz-ease strong hold).

I want to start working towards finding a formula that works for my hair. I have heard good things both regarding mousse and styling gel. Which one do you prefer? Will they both hold curls without the use of hairspray?

Any other tips you can offer? My hair dries very fluffy, my hair doesn't lay flat together. It's like all strands have spaces between each other (annoying!).

Any advise appreciated! Thank you so much!:o

lapushka
August 16th, 2022, 11:56 AM
If I use mousse, I use it in place of my cream step. I use the LCO method, see signature, and that means you layer a couple things, and usually end with gel or a serum. So if I use mousse, I put a glob to a couple globs on; then use my gel on top, and no it does not flake. You can test this up front, by putting a tiny bit of the 2 products in the palm of your hand, mix, if it coagulates, it's not gonna work together. Smooth consistency? Fine! :)

Aurora Angel
August 16th, 2022, 12:00 PM
If I use mousse, I use it in place of my cream step. I use the LCO method, see signature, and that means you layer a couple things, and usually end with gel or a serum. So if I use mousse, I put a glob to a couple globs on; then use my gel on top, and no it does not flake. You can test this up front, by putting a tiny bit of the 2 products in the palm of your hand, mix, if it coagulates, it's not gonna work together. Smooth consistency? Fine! :)

Wow, very interesting!!! So you use both gel and mousse then?! I'm very intrigued! How do you find it helps with your hair verses only using one or the other? Also can you tell me the difference, say, if you didn't use product at all verses what you do??

Thanks!!! :)

AmyBee
August 16th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to work out some similar issues. I like to make my soft curls using heatless methods - either wrapping hair round large scrunchies or using the robe belt method and leaving them overnight.
I was using an air drying cream and serum for a little bit of hold but after some uv damage this summer I've had to re add in some heavy moisturising steps for my ends. To avoid over loading my very thin, fine hair I have gone back to just serum as my last step before styling overnight. I'm seriously thinking of trying mousse to try for a more consistent effect.
At the moment I can get a style I'm happy to wear down on day 2 after washing, sometimes day 3 if I'm lucky. I think I've been over cautious when it comes to styling products since I started lhc, although I must admit I like the brushed out curl look and this also may not help to keep things as curly as I might like.

lapushka
August 16th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Wow, very interesting!!! So you use both gel and mousse then?! I'm very intrigued! How do you find it helps with your hair verses only using one or the other? Also can you tell me the difference, say, if you didn't use product at all verses what you do??

Thanks!!! :)

Yep; first some mousse, then my gel on top, mind you, I don't use a lot of either product. Mousse? Just the normal amount, but gel is like a coinsize, heaping coinsize. If I did not use product? I have to or I have *poof* It is just enough to tame the fuzzies, if you get my drift.

Dark40
August 16th, 2022, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone! ;)

Does anybody have a preference on mousse vs. gel? Which one do you think is better? I have very slight wurls (2a?) and I like to do heatless curls via buns and such to get a nice polished curl. If I don't use anything, my hair will fall flat super quick, and on top of that, it'll be frizzy and unmanageable. Hairspray doesn't seem to work for me and it dries out my hair and makes it icky (maybe I'm using the wrong one? I use frizz-ease strong hold).

I want to start working towards finding a formula that works for my hair. I have heard good things both regarding mousse and styling gel. Which one do you prefer? Will they both hold curls without the use of hairspray?

Any other tips you can offer? My hair dries very fluffy, my hair doesn't lay flat together. It's like all strands have spaces between each other (annoying!).

Any advise appreciated! Thank you so much!:o

I also use both mouse and gel as well! But not mixed together. On days that I want my hair to lay down flat and smooth I'll use gel, and it holds the style a lot better than hairspray even though I don't have a problem using hairspray, and mouse I just use on days when I want my curls to be defined and shiny. :)

paulownia
August 17th, 2022, 08:43 AM
I use both ( not mixed together) and I like both. I don't see a huge difference, maybe just that mousse makes my hair softer and gel gives a bit more definition:D
If I didn't use any... well that's just a disaster ;). Maybe not frizz but my waves without styling are just lifeless and meh.

Aurora Angel
August 17th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Yep; first some mousse, then my gel on top, mind you, I don't use a lot of either product. Mousse? Just the normal amount, but gel is like a coinsize, heaping coinsize. If I did not use product? I have to or I have *poof* It is just enough to tame the fuzzies, if you get my drift.

Thanks for this! Do you brush your hair after applying? Let it air dry? Scrunch? Do you have any recommendations for mousse?

Do you find these things dry out your hair or are they fine? I used one leave in conditioner that gave my curls a good hold, but it made my hair dry and brittle looking! Marc Anthony grow long leave-in conditioner.

Aurora Angel
August 17th, 2022, 09:19 AM
I use both ( not mixed together) and I like both. I don't see a huge difference, maybe just that mousse makes my hair softer and gel gives a bit more definition:D
If I didn't use any... well that's just a disaster ;). Maybe not frizz but my waves without styling are just lifeless and meh.

I would definitely like to try both! Sounds like a few people use both! Any mousse recommendations?

Aurora Angel
August 17th, 2022, 09:21 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to work out some similar issues. I like to make my soft curls using heatless methods - either wrapping hair round large scrunchies or using the robe belt method and leaving them overnight.
I was using an air drying cream and serum for a little bit of hold but after some uv damage this summer I've had to re add in some heavy moisturising steps for my ends. To avoid over loading my very thin, fine hair I have gone back to just serum as my last step before styling overnight. I'm seriously thinking of trying mousse to try for a more consistent effect.
At the moment I can get a style I'm happy to wear down on day 2 after washing, sometimes day 3 if I'm lucky. I think I've been over cautious when it comes to styling products since I started lhc, although I must admit I like the brushed out curl look and this also may not help to keep things as curly as I might like.

Good to hear I'm not the only one trying to figure things out for my hair!! ;) I feel like it's a lifelong process, haha! For heatless curls, have you ever tried cozy curlers? They're pretty awesome! You can google them if interested, and they should pop up!

lapushka
August 17th, 2022, 04:09 PM
Thanks for this! Do you brush your hair after applying? Let it air dry? Scrunch? Do you have any recommendations for mousse?

Do you find these things dry out your hair or are they fine? I used one leave in conditioner that gave my curls a good hold, but it made my hair dry and brittle looking! Marc Anthony grow long leave-in conditioner.

I wash, wring my hair out, put my hair into the microfiber towel (non-textured) for 15-30 minutes, and then when it comes out I detangle it. By then it is mostly damp and that is when I put my styling products in. I scrunch them in, then no longer touch my hair with a brush or comb (until next wash day).

No I don't feel it dries out my hair. :)

Aurora Angel
August 17th, 2022, 04:10 PM
I wash, wring my hair out, put my hair into the microfiber towel (non-textured) for 15-30 minutes, and then when it comes out I detangle it. By then it is mostly damp and that is when I put my styling products in. I scrunch them in, then no longer touch my hair with a brush or comb (until next wash day).

No I don't feel it dries out my hair. :)

Awesome, thanks!!!

lapushka
August 18th, 2022, 03:05 AM
Awesome, thanks!!!

Oh, but I have to mention I use a mousse explicitly for curly hair (when I use my mousse). I have a volume mousse and boy, that does dry out my hair... quite a bit! I guess volume is something entirely different than curl enhancement! Who'd have thunk! LOL!

Aurora Angel
August 18th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Oh, but I have to mention I use a mousse explicitly for curly hair (when I use my mousse). I have a volume mousse and boy, that does dry out my hair... quite a bit! I guess volume is something entirely different than curl enhancement! Who'd have thunk! LOL!

Oooh this is very helpful! I'd probably get one for curly hair so that I can hopefully define my waves a bit more!!

lapushka
August 19th, 2022, 05:07 AM
Oooh this is very helpful! I'd probably get one for curly hair so that I can hopefully define my waves a bit more!!

Oh yes, that is the way to go! If you have just a tad bit texture in your hair (generally speaking), I would already go for a curl mousse, they are generally better at dealing with fuzzies and frizz. Volume is only nice when you have silky smooth hair.

Aurora Angel
August 19th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Oh yes, that is the way to go! If you have just a tad bit texture in your hair (generally speaking), I would already go for a curl mousse, they are generally better at dealing with fuzzies and frizz. Volume is only nice when you have silky smooth hair.

SO interesting! What would we do without hair products, eh???:confused:

AmyBee
August 22nd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Good to hear I'm not the only one trying to figure things out for my hair!! ;) I feel like it's a lifelong process, haha! For heatless curls, have you ever tried cozy curlers? They're pretty awesome! You can google them if interested, and they should pop up!

Ohhh they look so good! I will definitely look into those to use when I want my hair to look a bit more consistent! Thank you :)

SereneCurls
August 28th, 2022, 10:39 AM
I've been really enjoying Joiwhip mousse this summer, it has decent hold and I don't need tons of it. I believe it has some proteins, not sure how your hair feels about those, and it's pricier than the drug store mousses. I use some leave in or curl cream under it. I was liking a Pantene curly mousse for a while, but it started to seem drying as I reached the end of the can.

Sea_Otter spins
September 27th, 2022, 11:20 AM
I find hairspray makes my hair sticky or crunchy and gel makes it sticky, so I love mousse. I grew out my bangs several years ago and mousse was a godsend. I still use it to give my roots a small lift.