PDA

View Full Version : Dry scalp help?

Obsidian
August 15th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Any suggestions on treating a dry itchy scalp that doesn't involve oil? Seems I either have dry or really oily, no happy in-between.

TatsuOni
August 15th, 2022, 05:46 AM
Aloe Vera gel or NigthBloomings Selkie spray works quite good for my scalp.

Obsidian
August 15th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Aloe Vera gel or NigthBloomings Selkie spray works quite good for my scalp.

Do you use fresh aloe or the store bought gel? I had thought about trying it but I'm afraid the gel will leave a build up amd my plant really isn't big enough to harvest yet

lapushka
August 15th, 2022, 09:11 AM
Seconding the AV gel. It seems to do wonders for both concerns. And back when I had a shampoo that was 1st ingredient AV and no water, it was *amazing* for my scalp. Unfortunately that formula changed to water first then all the ingredients, so it's basically useless (and you can't get it but outside the US). The name even slips from my memory... ugh.

knobbly
August 15th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Remember you can always buy fresh aloe juice! Sounds easier to apply to me (I’d just spray it on personally) and it would likely contain less filler ingredients than a shelf-stable gel would.

lapushka
August 15th, 2022, 10:19 AM
If I were you I would make a concoction with 80% AV and 20% shampoo (sulfate) and a harsh one at that, see what that does for you.

Obsidian
August 15th, 2022, 11:07 AM
Remember you can always buy fresh aloe juice! Sounds easier to apply to me (I’d just spray it on personally) and it would likely contain less filler ingredients than a shelf-stable gel would.

Thats a really good idea. I'll pick some up next time I'm ny walmart. I can also use it in homemade soap.

Obsidian
August 15th, 2022, 11:11 AM
If I were you I would make a concoction with 80% AV and 20% shampoo (sulfate) and a harsh one at that, see what that does for you.

That sounds like a plan. I used sulfate free today, scalp feels much better for the time being but I can't use it for too long before the SD acts up.

TatsuOni
August 16th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Do you use fresh aloe or the store bought gel? I had thought about trying it but I'm afraid the gel will leave a build up amd my plant really isn't big enough to harvest yet

I make my own, since I got huge plants. But there are better and worse store gels too out there :)

shelomit
August 16th, 2022, 04:14 PM
I find buying aloe vera juice or pulp more convenient than processing the plants themselves. Here it is usually marketed as "sabila" and sometimes can be found in the freezer section with fruit juice concentrates in stores that don't carry it fresh.

SandyBottom
August 17th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Aloe (fresh or store bought) or rosemary tea in my mister. I often add the aloe in with it.

Obsidian
August 18th, 2022, 05:07 PM
Aloe was a bust, it irritated my scalp after a few hours. I do have rosemary and peppermint tea but it doesn't seem to do a thing for the dryness.

Shorty89
August 19th, 2022, 05:15 PM
Hmm. That's too bad. Is it from eczema or something like psoriasis? Knowing why it gets dry could help figure out how to treat it. I always try oil or aloe gel when my scalp gets dry so I'm not sure what to suggest.

lapushka
August 19th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Have you ever (in your lifetime) gone to a derm for it? I am just asking out of curiosity. :)

Chromis
August 19th, 2022, 06:12 PM
I find personally that when my scalp is dry, so is my skin and it tends to be a sign I am not getting enough good fats in my diet. Once I fix that, everything is fine again! For me, the dryness is a symptom and treating the cause works a lot better than the numerous oils and rinses and whatnot I have tried in the past.

lapushka
August 20th, 2022, 02:44 AM
For me, I have the diagnosis of SD, and only SD, and so I know I have to be careful with shampoos, most certainly sulfate-free, in the sense that I can't use them, and I don't then either. :( However much that sucks!

If it's "only" SD, maybe consecutively use something for it, something you know works by now, and then just stick to it? Would that be something towards a solution? :)

Obsidian
August 20th, 2022, 09:00 AM
For me, I have the diagnosis of SD, and only SD, and so I know I have to be careful with shampoos, most certainly sulfate-free, in the sense that I can't use them, and I don't then either. :( However much that sucks!

If it's "only" SD, maybe consecutively use something for it, something you know works by now, and then just stick to it? Would that be something towards a solution? :)

I have been diagnosed with SD years ago but I was recently diagnosed with eczema on my body so at this point, I don't know the cause.
I've never had dry flaky skin on my scalp like this before. Maybe a few flakes here and there but this is different. My regular medicated shampoo isn't doing a thing.

I see the derm next month and will be asking about it

Shorty89
August 20th, 2022, 09:25 AM
I find that a mild ACV rinse can soothe my scalp eczema. Maybe you could try that?

lapushka
August 20th, 2022, 11:19 AM
I have been diagnosed with SD years ago but I was recently diagnosed with eczema on my body so at this point, I don't know the cause.
I've never had dry flaky skin on my scalp like this before. Maybe a few flakes here and there but this is different. My regular medicated shampoo isn't doing a thing.

I see the derm next month and will be asking about it

My goodness, girlfriend, that is so tough to deal with! I sympathize, I really do. :) :flower:

I hope that visit goes well, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I think it might need to be lotions and potions that need to be specially prescribed...

Obsidian
August 20th, 2022, 07:07 PM
I find that a mild ACV rinse can soothe my scalp eczema. Maybe you could try that?

I could, I have a rose vinegar I made just for my hair

My goodness, girlfriend, that is so tough to deal with! I sympathize, I really do. :) :flower:

I hope that visit goes well, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I think it might need to be lotions and potions that need to be specially prescribed...

I'm sure I'll need prescriptions. It sucks have 2 conditions that are opposite each other.
I used a mild shampoo with cones today, really helped the dryness but I know it will also cause a SD flare if I don't wash it out tomorrow.

ChloeDharma
August 21st, 2022, 07:13 AM
For the dryness what about applying rosewater with a little glycerin in it? I'm not sure if glycerin irritates SD though.
This does sound like a horrible combination to manage.

Obsidian
August 21st, 2022, 11:33 AM
For the dryness what about applying rosewater with a little glycerin in it? I'm not sure if glycerin irritates SD though.
This does sound like a horrible combination to manage.

Glycerin would be a no go for me. Anything with oils, sugars, cones or other kinds of coating substances really irritate my scalp.

I'm going to switch to lye soap for awhile, see if it helps. I've used it in the past with good results but it destroyed my hair so I stopped.

lapushka
August 21st, 2022, 11:55 AM
My dad has SD, I mean that's where I get it from, but for years he washed with a bar of body soap (lye based), called "Sunlight" soap. No problems. But yeah, he had short hair. :(

Obsidian
August 21st, 2022, 01:12 PM
My dad has SD, I mean that's where I get it from, but for years he washed with a bar of body soap (lye based), called "Sunlight" soap. No problems. But yeah, he had short hair. :(

I make soap, have for years. I formulated a lower cleansing bar for hair that I used for two years. I didn't have any SD flares to speak of during that time but eventually the high PH caused massive breakage.

Since my hair is buzzed, its a great time to try and get my scalp healed.
Hopefully the derm can help, if not I may just have to give up ever growing my hair out and just keep my scalp happy

Bat
August 23rd, 2022, 04:28 PM
I make soap, have for years. I formulated a lower cleansing bar for hair that I used for two years. I didn't have any SD flares to speak of during that time but eventually the high PH caused massive breakage.

Hopefully the derm can help, if not I may just have to give up ever growing my hair out and just keep my scalp happy

If it already hurts now while it's buzzed giving up on long hair might be pointless? Have an itchy scalp short or itchy scalp when long personally id pick the latter then again you aren't me, I hope you get it managed ok

My scalps been pretty dry too but it's going to be a season change soon

lapushka
August 23rd, 2022, 04:45 PM

Keeping your scalp happy in such a difficult situation is totally understandable. I say: yes! Long hair is not the be all end all.

Obsidian
August 23rd, 2022, 08:44 PM
If it already hurts now while it's buzzed giving up on long hair might be pointless? Have an itchy scalp short or itchy scalp when long personally id pick the latter then again you aren't me, I hope you get it managed ok

My scalps been pretty dry too but it's going to be a season change soon

If I end up having to stick with the lye soap to keep my scalp happy, it will destroy my hair. Last time I used soap regularly, after 2 years it all broke off in huge chunks.

Plus the heat and sweat when its long tends to cause flares. I can probably get away with shoulder length, we'll see when I get there, or not lol.

olivetime
August 24th, 2022, 08:25 AM
I havent gone through all of the comments...but for dry and sensitive scalp....I've been enjoying massaging my head with egg yolk. Not the white, just the orange part.

lapushka
August 24th, 2022, 02:15 PM
I havent gone through all of the comments...but for dry and sensitive scalp....I've been enjoying massaging my head with egg yolk. Not the white, just the orange part.

Food stuffs are the first thing that always aggravated my SD. Just FYI.

Obsidian
August 25th, 2022, 09:01 PM
The lye soap seems to be doing the trick. No more flakes or itchies, my scalp feels better than it has in months.
Hopefully it won't completely fry my hair this time around

lapushka
August 26th, 2022, 02:42 AM
The lye soap seems to be doing the trick. No more flakes or itchies, my scalp feels better than it has in months.
Hopefully it won't completely fry my hair this time around

Does it fry your hair as well when you keep it virgin? Otherwise it might be reacting to the henna, or... something. I mean, just thinking out loud.

Henna of all things calmed my SD when I was in my 20s, also for a couple weeks at the most, which is why I needed to reapply it so quickly making it turn very dark. If I could live with the color, then that would have been an amazing solution for me, but... alas! :(

I hope it doesn't do a number on your hair either.

Obsidian
August 26th, 2022, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure how it will be on virgin hair, last time I was using box color. I'm really hoping it will be better this time around, I also hope I won't have to use soap permanently.

Interesting that henna helped you, it actually irrated my scalp for a few days. I had to aggressively wash my scalp a few times to calm it down after each application. I think the waxy residue was the problem for me.
I'm done with henna, as much as I like it, I'm just too grey now and it looks ridiculous.

lapushka
August 26th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Oh my gosh, gee whiz, no in that case I would never use henna. :( Perhaps your skin is sensitive to boot? OTOH, henna is natural but natural isn't always "better" meaning heck yeah it could be aggravating.