PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut my hair all at once or in stages?

Liz_H
August 2nd, 2022, 05:39 PM
Edit to add - I've been considering this for over 2 months before posting. I didn't expect to have such a hard time deciding!

I wonder if anyone else has to make a similar decision. My hair is now at classic. Unfortunately it gets a lot thinner about 17 inches from the ends. The difference is 1/3 to 1/2 of the circumference and is a fairly abrupt change. I had a really big shed awhile back. For close to a year, I lost more hair in a day than I normally lose in a week. That's why my hair is so much thicker in the newest 26 inches.

So I want to keep trimming until my circumference is more consistent, with only a gradual taper. If I were to cut it all at once, I would have enough to make a braid or extension that's a perfect match. That would be after throwing away the last 3 inches. That's very tempting. It should be back to classic in about a year and a half. Alternatively I could cut off 5 or 6 inches every 6 months.

Were I to make a braid, it would mostly be used to pretty up a bun. I've no idea how much length I should have for that. I've been thinking about this for a few months now! Any thoughts? Would a braid that short be of use? I'm guessing that 14 inches of hair would make a braid of about 9 inches. I'm not even sure how I'd fasten it together at the top.

illicitlizard
August 2nd, 2022, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure how you would fasten it either, but I'm sure google would have some ideas on how to make it work (alternatively someone else on this forum)! That sounds like a seriously cool use of your hair! 9" braid will absolutely be of use, I think it would look lovely as an addition to a bun.

When it comes to this, I'd honestly say chop it all at once - you know how much you want off, just go for it. Unless you think taking it off in smaller chunks may lead to you stopping after say 10" rather than 17" I don't see the point in dragging it out.

In my mind the biggest adjustment would be working out which styles you can still do at a shorter length, but if you're losing at minimum 5" and getting thicker ends, you'll have to go through this with every trim along the way anyway, whether you do it in 5-6" chunks or all at once. :twocents:

lapis_lazuli
August 2nd, 2022, 07:01 PM
Normally I'd say "go slow", but, assuming you've done the two-week rule already, this would be the opportunity if a cut braid is something you want. If your goal is to trim out all the taper eventually, and you think you can live with the shorter length for a while, I think it's a safe decision. Since you wouldn't be using them for the braid anyway, maybe you can cut the first 3" and see how that feels before proceeding.

I have a plait made out of sheds, and while I haven't worn it in any styles, I enjoy having it as a memento. When I made mine, I just tied the aligned strands together with a mini rubber band, taped it to the wall, and braided tightly all the way down. I'm sure tuanyiji would have some thoughts about this, as well as how to style it :)

tuanyiji
August 2nd, 2022, 07:02 PM
Both ideas have it’s pro and con.

Like Lapis said, if you want to use your cut hair as a braid or extensions, why not start collecting your own shed, this way you can still maintain your length and keep adding volume with your fallen hair.
For example, this is the accent braid from my collection of 5,000 shed hair and hand-tied weft:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004191617843994624/IMG_7496.jpg
With a clip, I easily attach the accent braid into my half pony and make a very romantic hairstyle without straining my arms to do so:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004191686190182410/IMG_7505.jpg
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004192517840977970/IMG_7506.jpg
The hair color perfectly blends in, and the braid shed on the top part is not as obvious as the ones attached to my scalp because I only used hair lengths 30-60cm for this braid. I also oiled it up quite heavily to get a glossy effect.

It’s very convenient, easy, flexible and it saves me a lot of time if I want to have a fancier hair style for events in a minute.

I have collected over 30,000 hairs in a span of a year during our fight against cancer. That’s why I become a committed no-trimmer and view sheds as valuable items unlike most people who treat it as trash.

This is my weft looks like:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004230990476091434/IMG_6976.jpg
You can sew it to a clip for hair extensions.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004230802671935628/IMG_6981.jpg

Close-up of my hand-tied weft. The weaving can be a bit time-consuming but it’s a nice hobby when you’re not busy fussing about the hair still attached to your scalp.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1001725273378668557/1004231376146542652/IMG_6967.jpg
I have some shed hair and how to hand-tie posts for your reference: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82400&page=2&p=3950677&viewfull=1#post3950677

Anyway, I’d suggest not to rush into cutting your hair. You might join the two-week club if you haven’t, just wait a bit more, maybe new ideas will emerge: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

lapushka
August 3rd, 2022, 03:40 AM
Feye's method (ponytail in back, pull down as per the instructions) should be pretty straight-forward.
https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

And then there's your ponytail.

But just look at my taper, and that is cut in, not even natural. I think some form of taper is just normal. The people with an even thick hem all the way to classic are out there, but so are all the others that do have some taper. And, well at least to me, that is all equally as nice!

Liz_H
August 4th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone!

I was surprised at the encouragement to cut it all at once, just because so much here is geared towards growth. I'm considering it more strongly thanks to your responses.

The last time my hair was this length, I cut it back to waist length. I was shocked at how short it felt! It was quite an adjustment. I'm still not sure I'm ready for mid back. As for styling, I've just adjusted as I went along. There are YouTube videos for that length hair, so that shouldn't be a problem.

lapis_lazuli/B], I could probably manage that method. tuanyiji I'm in awe of your work! I imagine it's very meditative. Someday maybe!

illicitlizard If I trim it in stages, I'll let it regrow the length before cutting it off again.

lapushka Tapers can be beautiful, but I like a pretty blunt hem on my hair. This is a really abrupt taper, where I lose about half of my diameter over 4" or so.

I think I'll try to put up to look shorter, sort of like a faux bob. Maybe if I wear it that way for awhile I'll get more comfortable. And then I could just use Feye's method to trim my grabby ends, and wait a few more months to take that big cut. In 6 months, I should have another 5". Wait, did I just find an excuse to put off this decision again? :o :confused: ;)

Normally I'd say "go slow", but, assuming you've done the two-week rule already, this would be the opportunity if a cut braid is something you want. If your goal is to trim out all the taper eventually, and you think you can live with the shorter length for a while, I think it's a safe decision. Since you wouldn't be using them for the braid anyway, maybe you can cut the first 3" and see how that feels before proceeding.

I have a plait made out of sheds, and while I haven't worn it in any styles, I enjoy having it as a memento. When I made mine, I just tied the aligned strands together with a mini rubber band, taped it to the wall, and braided tightly all the way down. I'm sure [B]tuanyiji would have some thoughts about this, as well as how to style it :)

I'm not sure how you would fasten it either, but I'm sure google would have some ideas on how to make it work (alternatively someone else on this forum)! That sounds like a seriously cool use of your hair! 9" braid will absolutely be of use, I think it would look lovely as an addition to a bun.

When it comes to this, I'd honestly say chop it all at once - you know how much you want off, just go for it. Unless you think taking it off in smaller chunks may lead to you stopping after say 10" rather than 17" I don't see the point in dragging it out.

In my mind the biggest adjustment would be working out which styles you can still do at a shorter length, but if you're losing at minimum 5" and getting thicker ends, you'll have to go through this with every trim along the way anyway, whether you do it in 5-6" chunks or all at once. :twocents:

Feye's method (ponytail in back, pull down as per the instructions) should be pretty straight-forward.

But just look at my taper, and that is cut in, not even natural. I think some form of taper is just normal. The people with an !

I have a plait made out of sheds, and while I haven't worn it in any styles, I enjoy having it as a memento. When I made mine, I just tied the aligned strands together with a mini rubber band, taped it to the wall, and braided tightly all the way down. I'm sure tuanyiji would have some thoughts about this, as well as how to style it :)

But just look at my taper, and that is cut in, not even natural. I think some form of taper is just normal. The people with an even thick hem all the way to classic are out there, but so are all the others that do have some taper. And, well at least to me, that is all equally as nice!

lapushka
August 5th, 2022, 03:12 AM
I understand. Not all our tastebuds are the same. You do you. And if you've been mulling it over for that long already... why not?

Still, I would go in stages. Taking a huge chunk off in one go can be daunting.

vampyyri
August 5th, 2022, 08:01 AM
I personally did it in stages, cutting off a mile marker at a time with Feye's self trim. I did it so slowly that people barely noticed that I got to my big chop end goal. I feel like for myself that that was the best way to go about it so I could get used to it being shorter and enjoy all the different lengths.

Aunt Rapunzel
August 5th, 2022, 07:05 PM
For me, it all depends on what I want at the time. There was one time when I was VERY unsure of how much I wanted cut, and the stylist advised me to only cut a few inches off because of that. I was VERY thankful for her thoughtful advice, because I missed the length even with only a few inches cut off! But then, a few years ago, I was READY. I knew that I'd be okay with a bigger cut. My hair grows quickly, and I was just. . . READY. So I had 15" cut off and loved it. It's all about timing and what you're ready for at this point in your life.

lapushka
August 6th, 2022, 03:25 AM
It is a bit of a dilemma, but I also would cut in stages. If only to get familiar with the method. Oh, and once you cut (with a method), *trust* that method and do *not* go back because it "lays funny". It always does, because you need to wash and dry it after a cut to see the actual results.