PDA

View Full Version : My hair is weird

Iyashikei
July 28th, 2022, 09:22 PM
For some reason my hair desperately wants to be in a middle part. When I try styling it differently it immediately fights back with tangles even though I detangled it just a second ago and even when it's up it automatically reverts back to a middle part in no time. What could cause this? I'm pretty tired of having a middle part all the time and it looks off when my hair is in a ponytail or bun, which is most of the time since it's required for work anyway. Is there any way my hair can outgrow this or am I stuck with having that middle part I am so tired of?

tuanyiji
July 29th, 2022, 12:03 AM
Do you have a natural “cowlick” or swirl in the middle? Do you air dry your hair?
Have you tried using a small pin or clip to gather the middle part of your freshly washed hair into a little puff and wait for your hair to air dry, and this way all the hair on top of your head will stay UP for a little while instead of falling to both sides. You can also use this trick on your dry hair but with a little mist of clean water.
You can also French/Dutch braid the top part of your hair from the hair line, that way there’s no way the middle part will show.

Bat
July 29th, 2022, 12:26 AM
For some reason my hair desperately wants to be in a middle part. When I try styling it differently it immediately fights back with tangles even though I detangled it just a second ago and even when it's up it automatically reverts back to a middle part in no time. What could cause this? I'm pretty tired of having a middle part all the time and it looks off when my hair is in a ponytail or bun, which is most of the time since it's required for work anyway. Is there any way my hair can outgrow this or am I stuck with having that middle part I am so tired of?

Everyone has certain ways it sits, hairdressers call it natural fall, you can train it to go the way you want but it takes time, growth patterns can be annoying I have a cowlick too.

SandyBottom
July 29th, 2022, 12:47 AM
Sorry for your frustrations. I struggled with part issues up through my teens and now have a permanent middle part. I think part of my problem was that I have two hair whorls at the back. Any chance you do too? For awhile, a side part worked by using one of them as the endpoint.

lapushka
July 29th, 2022, 04:11 AM
Do you try and do this after it's dry? Don't. Choose a part when it's wet and stick to it. That usually works.

Iyashikei
July 29th, 2022, 07:04 AM
Do you have a natural “cowlick” or swirl in the middle? Do you air dry your hair?
Have you tried using a small pin or clip to gather the middle part of your freshly washed hair into a little puff and wait for your hair to air dry, and this way all the hair on top of your head will stay UP for a little while instead of falling to both sides. You can also use this trick on your dry hair but with a little mist of clean water.
You can also French/Dutch braid the top part of your hair from the hair line, that way there’s no way the middle part will show.
Thank you for the tips. And I have several cowlicks, just not in the middle of my hair.

Everyone has certain ways it sits, hairdressers call it natural fall, you can train it to go the way you want but it takes time, growth patterns can be annoying I have a cowlick too.
I have three, they can be a real pain.

Sorry for your frustrations. I struggled with part issues up through my teens and now have a permanent middle part. I think part of my problem was that I have two hair whorls at the back. Any chance you do too? For awhile, a side part worked by using one of them as the endpoint.
Yup, I have those, along with two or three cowlicks spread all over my head.

Do you try and do this after it's dry? Don't. Choose a part when it's wet and stick to it. That usually works.
It doesn't work for me. I always do this when it's wet and even then it goes into a middle part over time.

Diana Prince
July 29th, 2022, 08:41 AM
My hair is like that too. I can only wear a middle part or a somewhat right side part. But it looks so weird if I ever try to do a left side part, it poofs out so strangely. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice other than to try to part it when it's wet and then pin it with some bobby pins until it gets dry. You'll probably have to do that for a few consecutive wash days, so your hair adjusts to that part.

spidermom
July 29th, 2022, 10:39 AM
I started moving my part all around when I was a teenager so I've never had this problem. I've read that if you part it while wet and use something to hold it in place, like gel or styling cream and a barrette (or bobby pins), over time hair will get used to it. It will take time and patience, however.

lapushka
July 29th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Thank you for the tips. And I have several cowlicks, just not in the middle of my hair.

I have three, they can be a real pain.

Yup, I have those, along with two or three cowlicks spread all over my head.

It doesn't work for me. I always do this when it's wet and even then it goes into a middle part over time.

Oh now I see, well that sucks. It might be a cowlick, in that case... good luck. I can't get out of my side part either. LOL. ;)

Hexana
July 30th, 2022, 03:27 AM
You need to "retrain" your hair to sit on a different part. Like others suggested bobby pins, and braids, and styling it when it's wet is probably going to give you the best results. I started moving my part around a couple of years ago and I still do it every day. Before that (in school), I always used to wear a middle part just like you and nothing else would sit right. Now I can move my part around however I want and it always sits OK.