PDA

View Full Version : uv hair damage

filip
July 19th, 2022, 02:43 PM
How long would it take for a uv index of 7.4 to damage hair?

filip
July 19th, 2022, 03:41 PM
I'm very worried I walked outside for like 30 mins in strong sun. I tried to walk in the shade and I brought an umbrella but it wasn't a persol. I really regret doing this and now i'm freaking out. The irony is I don't even go out much, I just had to go and collect and something and I didn't think it could be that harmful but now It's sinking in and I'm realizing the umbrella didn't have that anti reflective shiny part that blocks the sunlight anyway so it probably did nothing. It was like 91 degrees with uv index of 7.

Lady Stardust
July 19th, 2022, 04:03 PM
filip there’s nothing you can change about that now so really it’s best not to worry about it. If your skin burned, your hair might have lightened, possibly. It varies a great deal from person to person. Some people have very resilient hair that doesn’t get particularly sun bleached, and others find that sun bleaching doesn’t cause them a problem.

My hair doesn’t do well in the sun so I keep it covered. It’s an easy habit to get into.

Maybe do something extra pampering for your hair like a deep conditioning treatment, and try not to worry. I know that’s easier said than done, but I’m sure my hair has been in the sun for longer than that and not suffered too many ill effects.

LongLocke
July 19th, 2022, 04:06 PM
People go to the beach in high UV conditions for hours on end. You’ll be fine.

Take Stardust’s advice and pamper your head a little bit extra and relax

filip
July 19th, 2022, 04:16 PM
I don't have any sun tan or burning, I'm actually trying to work out I don't think the uv was that strong when i went out after all it may have only been 5. I'm trying to work it out. I'm just very paranoid. I just really regret risking it, it was really stupid of me. I've not noticed significantly lightening although my hair feels a little dry but not terribly so.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 04:19 PM
filip there’s nothing you can change about that now so really it’s best not to worry about it. If your skin burned, your hair might have lightened, possibly. It varies a great deal from person to person. Some people have very resilient hair that doesn’t get particularly sun bleached, and others find that sun bleaching doesn’t cause them a problem.

My hair doesn’t do well in the sun so I keep it covered. It’s an easy habit to get into.

Maybe do something extra pampering for your hair like a deep conditioning treatment, and try not to worry. I know that’s easier said than done, but I’m sure my hair has been in the sun for longer than that and not suffered too many ill effects.

Yes you are right there is nothing I can do. I just warn others don't risk it, the sun even a short time like 30 mins can irreversibly damage your hair. I have dark blonde hair, my hair is still dark blodne I've not really noticedd it lighten, I might go to the hair salon and get their opinion as to whether it has lightened but yeah I just sometimes hate myself I do stupid stuff that I really regret, that was so uncessary. so warning to others unless you have like black sun resistant hair don't risk it wear a cap or don't go out.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 04:27 PM
ok I just checked the and the uv was 5.6 when i walked outside for like 30 minutes... a lot of the time i was walking in the shade and when i wasn't i used an umbrella but it wasn't a persol.

Obsidian
July 19th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Your umbrella provided a lotof protection

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-umbrellas/umbrellas-good-shields-from-sun-as-well-as-rain-study-idUSL3N0CD00S20130321

rosenester
July 19th, 2022, 04:47 PM
I have dark blonde hair, and 30 min once doesn’t damage or change the color at all. It’s more accumulation of sun over time, or a full day at the ocean, or a week camping.

Definitely agree to do a deep conditioning or one with protein (my hair loves protein after something damaging), and cover it up for future sun exposure.

I understand not liking the look and wanting to prevent it. I however, am inviting the ‘sun damage’ because I enjoy the highlights I get, and find my hair manageable and have grown it long in the past with summer highlights.

ETA
my experience this summer so far: I am outside for 1-2 hrs each day in peak sun for 2 months and have a slight lightening effect that no one else notices, only me, and my hair is manageable and that regrowth only gets a 2-in1 shampoo bar even… no conditioner.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:27 PM
I have dark blonde hair, and 30 min once doesn’t damage or change the color at all. It’s more accumulation of sun over time, or a full day at the ocean, or a week camping.

Definitely agree to do a deep conditioning or one with protein (my hair loves protein after something damaging), and cover it up for future sun exposure.

I understand not liking the look and wanting to prevent it. I however, am inviting the ‘sun damage’ because I enjoy the highlights I get, and find my hair manageable and have grown it long in the past with summer highlights.

ETA
my experience this summer so far: I am outside for 1-2 hrs each day in peak sun for 2 months and have a slight lightening effect that no one else notices, only me, and my hair is manageable and that regrowth only gets a 2-in1 shampoo bar even… no conditioner.

Well the thing about sun damage for me is that I have curly hair and don't want my curls to be affected. I worry about losing elasticity in my hair and it looking brittle. If I really wanted it lighter I would just dye it lighter, but if it doesn't bother you then that's good for you.

C_Bookworm
July 19th, 2022, 05:28 PM
Have you looked at some healthy ways of coping with your anxiety?:flower: Constantly stressing about your hair is more likely to damage your hair than any of the things you’re worried about.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:30 PM

ETA

Thank you for reassuring me though, I'm just worried about protein loss, maybe you have thick strands and that's why you don't notice any difference, my hair is also quite fine but is on the darkest side of blonde almost light brown really but I have a few greys now.

lapushka
July 19th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Once isn't going to kill you. I would worry about the scalp much more (or your skin).

You seem to get worried... a lot.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:38 PM
well my skin isn't burnt so i know it's ok, maybe i got a tiny bit of colour but nothing noticeable. Yes I'm worried about my scalp but it's not particularly sore I don't think the scalp has been damaged, since my hair covers most of my scalp anyway. I am worried about my scalp too don't get me wrong.

Zesty
July 19th, 2022, 05:39 PM
UV damage for hair is very much a cumulative thing, 30 min in the sun won't do much, especially if you're under an umbrella. Maybe if you spent hours in peak sunlight every day all summer I'd suggest trying to cover it, but it doesn't sound like that's the case for you. I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:44 PM
I'm trying to grow my hair 3 inches longer like it was, as I regret a recent cut. So I'm upset by that still and then I walk outside during a heat wave thinking an umbrella would protect me although it was later in the day about 3pm and the uv had dyed down a bit i think it was 5.6 but still that is quite strong. Then it gives me an anxiety attack, I thought subconsciously the vitamin d would be good for me but I didn't appreciate fully that I could burn my hair, then i go online and do research and find that hair can burn just after 8 minutes of being in the sun and it gave me an anxiety attack.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Have you looked at some healthy ways of coping with your anxiety?:flower: Constantly stressing about your hair is more likely to damage your hair than any of the things you’re worried about.

yes sadly I do suffer from anxiety, especially in regard to my hair but not exclusively.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:48 PM
I walked without the umbrella for some minutes because I felt embaressed. I felt my scalp get warm though so I did use it i think for most of the time except when i was walking in the shaded areas. My scalp getting warm from the sun made me anxious i should of just waited to go and collect what I wanted on a less sunny day. I think part of me thought the big boost of vitamin d would do me good because i don't get out much. but it wasn't worth the risk now i look back.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Once isn't going to kill you. I would worry about the scalp much more (or your skin).

You seem to get worried... a lot.

yeh I agree I do suffer anxiety, in regard to certain things. I am worried about my scalp not so much my skin since I can see that is fine.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 06:02 PM
UV damage for hair is very much a cumulative thing, 30 min in the sun won't do much, especially if you're under an umbrella. Maybe if you spent hours in peak sunlight every day all summer I'd suggest trying to cover it, but it doesn't sound like that's the case for you. I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Well google told me differently https://www.essence.com/hair/hair-sun-damage/ it says a mere 8 mins can cause damage.

C_Bookworm
July 19th, 2022, 06:04 PM
yes sadly I do suffer from anxiety, especially in regard to my hair but not exclusively.
I’m sorry. We’re all here for you. :grouphug: A lot of us have been through (or are currently going through) anxiety. The Friendship board is lovely and supportive place to read or talk about it. I know from personal experience that the hair journey is more enjoyable when I can quiet some of my brain gremlins.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 06:05 PM
https://www.parksystems.com/applications/life-science/micro-and-molecular-biology/701-hair-damage-from-sunlight-radiation-characterized-using-atomic-force-microscopy

filip
July 19th, 2022, 06:14 PM
I’m sorry. We’re all here for you. :grouphug: A lot of us have been through (or are currently going through) anxiety. The Friendship board is lovely and supportive place to read or talk about it. I know from personal experience that the hair journey is more enjoyable when I can quiet some of my brain gremlins.
Ok thank you for the suggestion. Appreciate the support. I just have paranoia regarding my hair, it's sometimes so hard to see if it's damaged or not. My hair texture is very porous which makes things even more confusing as it's very reactive to humidity. I got strange hair because I didn't inherit from anyone exactly, my mum has curly hair but her's is very dark she also blow dries it now she is much older. So I have no one to relate to that I know.

Zesty
July 19th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Well google told me differently https://www.essence.com/hair/hair-sun-damage/ it says a mere 8 mins can cause damage.

Everything damages hair, e.g. brushing, but that doesn't mean you'll notice anything after 8 minutes. Really, I wouldn't worry. You have to live your life, your hair will sustain some damage by existing but that's okay, it can still be super healthy and beautiful.

I would suggest the friendship board, too, as someone who is also prone to anxiety. Caring for your hair should be more fun than stressful. :flower:

Zesty
July 19th, 2022, 06:17 PM
There are leave in products that are marketed as dual heat and UV protectants, by the way. I own a few. Might be worth looking into if it would give you peace of mind.

filip
July 19th, 2022, 07:20 PM
There are leave in products that are marketed as dual heat and UV protectants, by the way. I own a few. Might be worth looking into if it would give you peace of mind.

ok thank you. yes i have heard of them. thank you for all the support. I will post on the friendship board in the future, it is very nice to meet you all. Thank you for your support. Nice to know i'm not alone.

Joules
July 20th, 2022, 03:13 AM
I can definitely relate to hair anxiety! But!

From personal experience, to get visible (tangible?) damage you need to spend like weeks walking around in direct sun with your hair loose. I got it once in school after two weeks of daily work outside in the sun. I knew a girl who had to cut her hair due to damage because she spent an entire month mistreating it in the summer heat. So yeah. It's not that easy to get up damage on your hair.

lapushka
July 20th, 2022, 05:02 AM
Everything damages hair, e.g. brushing, but that doesn't mean you'll notice anything after 8 minutes. Really, I wouldn't worry. You have to live your life, your hair will sustain some damage by existing but that's okay, it can still be super healthy and beautiful.

I would suggest the friendship board, too, as someone who is also prone to anxiety. Caring for your hair should be more fun than stressful. :flower:

Yes try and talk with us all about different things rather than focus on potential sources of damage over and over and over and over again... please, I am begging you. For me something like this is totally triggering, sad to say. :(

GordonMurphella
July 21st, 2022, 03:49 AM
Please try to focus on other things. Every post is anxiety to the nth degree about minor, minor hair "accidents" and you cannot live like this. Your hair will not be damaged by any of the things you've previously posted about. Do try to enjoy your hair and your life! Best wishes.

filip
July 21st, 2022, 06:23 AM
I admit I have an illness regarding my hair. I'm a bit raw from an unwanted cut because I didn't like the way she shaped it and wanted it back nearer to all one length so lost about 2 and half inches. I'm wanting to grow it back to what it was earlier this year, like 4 inches longer it's still past my collarbone now so it's I think of it as medium long, really I only want it 2-3 inches longer. I am paranoid I've damaged the cuticle because my hair is fine, light and curly so it's not like normal hair. I walked out in 90 degree heat but the sun was apparently only 5.6 uv according to data i've found, I can't be accurate. I just do things i regret I guess we all do, I just wish I could put my hair under a microscope to know if I damaged the cuticle or not, that way I can just put my mind to rest. I don't know why I'm so nuts, I think of plenty of other things but I'm a very self conscious person and I was a bit more confident with my hair earlier this year but now I feel like my confidence is gone maybe I will regain it hopefully. It could just be my mind playing tricks on me, and well I'm really sorry I will try to put it out of mind and I'm sorry to those I've triggered it's not my intention. If I post on the friendship board it won't be about causes of hair damage i worry about or any incidents. I'm not trying to upset anyone, I think social media is a big part of it I post selfies where i liked my hair more in the past and then fear i can't get it to that again. Anyway I accept it may have caused some damage but there is nothing i can do, i will live with it and just accept it. The reason I'm raw is because I'm really an indoors person and I just don't know why sometimes i do things that seem to be someone else making the decision or something and then i really regret it.

Lady Stardust
July 21st, 2022, 06:45 AM
filip I’m glad you’ve found this forum because we can reassure you.

Sometimes with anxiety we need to hear the same kind of reassurance repeatedly and that’s fine. I get it.

I hope we can also help you to enjoy your hair. It’s a process, it ebbs and flows. No one has 100% good hair days and no one keeps their hair completely free from damage. We do our best to maximise the good stuff about our hair though and to encourage each other.

filip
July 21st, 2022, 08:34 AM
filip I’m glad you’ve found this forum because we can reassure you.

Sometimes with anxiety we need to hear the same kind of reassurance repeatedly and that’s fine. I get it.

I hope we can also help you to enjoy your hair. It’s a process, it ebbs and flows. No one has 100% good hair days and no one keeps their hair completely free from damage. We do our best to maximise the good stuff about our hair though and to encourage each other.
Thank you, well it's nice to just get things off your chest sometimes, it's a way of overcoming things mentally I suppose.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2022, 08:42 AM
Nobody has undamaged hair. Enjoy going out and getting a bit of sunshine, it's very good for your immune system! Fresh air and sunshine can also boost your mood, too. Don't worry about your hair, really. I go out in the sun with mine unprotected and it's still pretty healthy.

filip
July 21st, 2022, 09:15 AM
Yeah I know vitamin d is essential, I eat salmon weekly and take vitamin d supplements, I don't really get out enough recently. I should get out a bit more, I will.

lapushka
July 21st, 2022, 10:06 AM
filip, now that I know you a little bit better (an intro post with your "issues" would have helped us so much), because frankly I thought every post was so darn weird and thought the absolute worst (we get our fair share of weirdness). There is nothing wrong with the hair I see in the avatar and I think I have to tell you that! It is absolutely beautiful. Please stop worrying so much, it's not necessary.

lapis_lazuli
July 21st, 2022, 10:22 AM
Your hair looks great in your avatar, filip!

filip
July 21st, 2022, 11:20 AM
Yeh I Liked it there, that was last month unfortunately it's a bit shorter now by a 2 inches or so but I'm growing it back to that length or beyond. I made a big mistake because I said I wanted ushape from that and i didn't like what she did so asked it back to one length again. that's part of the reason i'm a bit annoyed. but yeah the photo is before the incident that i walked in the sun, but hopefully it's not much different. I didn't wash it today so the sebum should help give my curls strength from the dryness i experienced outside back on monday.

LongLocke
July 21st, 2022, 01:08 PM
Your hair looks perfectly fine! And the good part about hair getting cut a bit short. It grows back :)

Maiden Fair
July 21st, 2022, 01:53 PM
Please don't worry, filip! (As someone who also struggles with anxiety, I know that's easier said than done, but do try not to dwell on it.) A little bit of sun like that won't be a problem, and the vitamin D will be such a big help for all the rest of your body. Supplements are good but it's always better when you can obtain nutrition naturally. I've been watering our garden most mornings for the last several weeks with my hair uncovered, 30-45 minutes in the sunlight with a high UV index (thanks to the altitude), and my hair still looks fine. I do this almost every summer. I also frequently get the mail in the afternoons, a 5-10 minute walk; I just did that this afternoon, and our UV index reads at 11 currently but my hair (and skin) is fine. You might want to tie a scarf around your hair or wear a hat next time, but don't stop getting sunlight! It's important. :) :flower: :hugs:

Maiden Fair
July 21st, 2022, 01:58 PM
(Oh, meant to add this, but can't edit my posts yet...) Coconut oil applied on the skin prevents sunburn almost as well as sunscreen, so I imagine it would also prevent damage to hair. You could consider putting a little on your hair before going outside. Then you get the double-benefits of some conditioning as well as sun protection. :)

GordonMurphella
July 22nd, 2022, 05:03 AM
(Oh, meant to add this, but can't edit my posts yet...) Coconut oil applied on the skin prevents sunburn almost as well as sunscreen, so I imagine it would also prevent damage to hair. You could consider putting a little on your hair before going outside. Then you get the double-benefits of some conditioning as well as sun protection. :)

This is not true, please don't count on coconut oil for sun protection!

lapushka
July 22nd, 2022, 05:07 AM

Seconding. Oil on the skin (doesn't matter what kind) is no barrier for the sun, on the contrary! On that note, didn't The Ordinary come out with a sunprotection "oil"? For the scalp? Or am I now just making that up. I thought I saw it somewhere... :hmm:

Zesty
July 22nd, 2022, 06:55 AM

Agreed, it's definitely not sunscreen.

Maiden Fair
July 22nd, 2022, 08:14 AM
Well, science for me consists of experiments and evidence, not assertions. (I can't believe they don't have some kind of mad scientist/experimenting wizard type smiley! :lol: ) My very fair skin has spent entire outdoor summers not burning with generous applications of coconut oil and nothing else, while on the days I forgot to apply it, I burnt within 15 or 20 minutes as usual. That's one (long and oft-repeated) experiment in favour. :)

In any case, I acknowledge it may not work the same way on hair because I haven't actually tested that; it was just a suggestion. :o

Maiden Fair
July 22nd, 2022, 08:25 AM
(Grr, I really hate not being able to edit posts.) My first sentence should say: Science for me consists of experiments and evidence, which is why when I first read that about coconut oil, I went to the pantry, filled a small jar, and started using it as suggested, in order to test the assertion. My experiments bore out the original statement.

I have got to not post before breakfast; my brain hasn't had a chance to turn on yet. :yawn: Oh and found a wizard smiley! :magic:

lapushka
July 22nd, 2022, 10:13 AM
(Grr, I really hate not being able to edit posts.) My first sentence should say: Science for me consists of experiments and evidence, which is why when I first read that about coconut oil, I went to the pantry, filled a small jar, and started using it as suggested, in order to test the assertion. My experiments bore out the original statement.

I have got to not post before breakfast; my brain hasn't had a chance to turn on yet. :yawn: Oh and found a wizard smiley! :magic:

How do you not burn? It must be some kind of magic. :lol: ;)

Zesty
July 22nd, 2022, 10:57 AM
I've seen that coconut oil has negligible SPF, but no more than the single digits (and often in a petri dish). But all experts that I've seen do not advise relying on it for sun protection. SPF 30 is the minimum recommended.

Respectfully, I don't really consider anecdotes to be experiments and wouldn't recommend using coconut oil in place of sunscreen. :shrug: But obviously you can do whatever you want. I just don't think it's a good thing to recommend. Then again, I'm the crazy person in long sleeves all summer and a bit of a sun protection geek.

To be fair, for hair it probably matters less, since you don't get hair cancer, it just creates potential cosmetic damage.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2022, 11:25 AM
I've seen that coconut oil has negligible SPF, but no more than the single digits (and often in a petri dish). But all experts that I've seen do not advise relying on it for sun protection. SPF 30 is the minimum recommended.

Respectfully, I don't really consider anecdotes to be experiments and wouldn't recommend using coconut oil in place of sunscreen. :shrug: But obviously you can do whatever you want. I just don't think it's a good thing to recommend. Then again, I'm the crazy person in long sleeves all summer and a bit of a sun protection geek.

To be fair, for hair it probably matters less, since you don't get hair cancer, it just creates potential cosmetic damage.

I tend to, if not necessary say for staying in the garden while my folks garden, stay out of the sunshine! I totally get it!

Zesty
July 22nd, 2022, 11:47 AM
I tend to, if not necessary say for staying in the garden while my folks garden, stay out of the sunshine! I totally get it!

I walk outside in surrounding neighborhoods frequently and I'm sure I'm recognizable in my visor, sunglasses, and long sleeve shirt (in addition to sunscreen all over). Plus the fanny pack, but that has nothing to do with the sun. :p

lapushka
July 22nd, 2022, 02:13 PM
I walk outside in surrounding neighborhoods frequently and I'm sure I'm recognizable in my visor, sunglasses, and long sleeve shirt (in addition to sunscreen all over). Plus the fanny pack, but that has nothing to do with the sun. :p

Ah fanny packs, they're not a 90s trend! ;) :p

MusicalSpoons
July 22nd, 2022, 02:46 PM
My very fair skin has spent entire outdoor summers not burning with generous applications of coconut oil and nothing else, while on the days I forgot to apply it, I burnt within 15 or 20 minutes as usual. That's one (long and oft-repeated) experiment in favour. :)

The only real experiment would have been to apply sunscreen to one half of your body and coconut oil to the other (and maybe leave one patch bare as a control), then repeat on a few days to get reliable results to compare the two. Otherwise UV levels and exposure will have varied between the days you used coconut oil and didn't, so multiple variables were involved which is bad science.

rosenester
July 22nd, 2022, 04:14 PM

I have a similar outdoor look! UPF 50 longsleeves, Dark sunglasses, sunhat, SPF 30 at least, and a fannypack for everyday of the week, often with sunscreen inside :p I swim in a longsleeve shirt for sun protection, too.

And Lapushka, I’ve been wearing fannypacks since the 90’s, I never stopped. :rolling:

Zesty
July 22nd, 2022, 04:51 PM
I have a similar outdoor look! UPF 50 longsleeves, Dark sunglasses, sunhat, SPF 30 at least, and a fannypack for everyday of the week, often with sunscreen inside :p I swim in a longsleeve shirt for sun protection, too.

And Lapushka, I’ve been wearing fannypacks since the 90’s, I never stopped. :rolling:

:hifive: Yes, a long sleeve UPF rash guard is an essential part of my swimwear! :p Though I don't have a lot of opportunity to swim anymore.

Fanny packs are great tho, aesthetics aside (and I think mine is pretty cute honestly) it's really the best way for me to carry my phone and keys on my walks.

rosenester
July 22nd, 2022, 05:37 PM
:hifive: to rashguards, cute fannypacks & longhair, zesty :agree:

shelomit
July 25th, 2022, 09:36 AM

My neighbors probably have similar opinions of my sweaty self. I grew up with a very active fear of sunstroke; those childhood habits are hard to overcome! I keep toying with the idea that I should get some short-sleeved outdoor clothes now that I live somewhere low-altitude and humid, but have never managed to get around to it.

Hedwig
July 25th, 2022, 09:57 AM
Well, science for me consists of experiments and evidence, not assertions. (I can't believe they don't have some kind of mad scientist/experimenting wizard type smiley! :lol: ) My very fair skin has spent entire outdoor summers not burning with generous applications of coconut oil and nothing else, while on the days I forgot to apply it, I burnt within 15 or 20 minutes as usual. That's one (long and oft-repeated) experiment in favour. :)

In any case, I acknowledge it may not work the same way on hair because I haven't actually tested that; it was just a suggestion. :o

Respectfully, that’s not what science is at all. Science is cold hard facts not personal anecdotes. Not wearing efficient sunscreen can lead to cancer.

Maiden Fair
July 25th, 2022, 07:54 PM
To be honest, this thread has upset me so much that I've been avoiding the forum for days. I was trying to be supportive and helpful to a member who was in distress by suggesting a perfectly normal and recognized method of hair protection (applying coconut oil to the ends/length), and I received a lot of blowback that wasn't even on topic. I was not trying to suggest that anyone here use coconut oil as sunscreen, I merely mentioned it to explain why I was suggesting it for the hair in this particular instance.

My mention of science and experimentation was unfortunate, since I acknowledge my experiences were not rigorous scientific trials, but was my attempt to remain polite while addressing the strong and unfounded statements that my personal experiences were impossible. I was trying to emphasise that my mention was not based on hearsay that I had read on the Internet somewhere but on repeated (and repeatable) personal tests, and therefore it was not fair to dismiss it out of hand.

While I do not wish to further derail this thread by engaging in an argument concerning application of the scientific method, I feel that not briefly addressing this statement:
Science is cold hard facts not personal anecdotes., would seem like agreement with its application here, so I append the following short note. All experiments, even those done under the strictest lab conditions, are the equivalent of "personal anecdotes" until they have been repeated and the results verified many times by other researchers, at which point the original hypothesis becomes accepted scientific "fact" (and yet may still be wrong; there are many instances of this occurring in recent and not-so-recent times). You are equally performing science when you prove your hypothesis wrong through a test and when you prove it right, therefore science does not consist solely of "cold hard facts", but an ever-evolving series of hypotheses and theories which can change or be proven wrong in the blink of an eye. Science has many dead ends, mistakes, and backtracks and does not move forward inexorably to some pre-established standard of unquestionable scientific truth. My experiment, as I unfortunately termed it, of applying coconut oil to prevent sunburns is testable, repeatable, and has observable results, for anyone who cares to try it, so while I acknowledge that my experiences, as they occurred, were not strict and rigorous tests (because I was satisfied with my immediate and continued results), they easily could be made so and therefore it is a valid scientific hypothesis which is simply in need of stricter testing to move beyond the hypothesis stage (or fail to do so). The circumstance of it remaining an unproven hypothesis does not mean it is inherently false. That is what is not science.

I apologize if this post sounds overly dramatic. I have composed it over and over again in my head for several days, trying to remain non-emotional and reasonable, but I'm feeling really triggered by the tone of responses, so I'm going to bow out of any more discussion on the topic. I did not mean to offend anyone or start an argument, I was simply trying to be helpful. I hope everyone has a nice day. :flower: