PDA

View Full Version : Which hairstyle is really you?

ilovelonghair
November 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Do you have a hairstyle that is really you? That you wear most and if you don't it feels strange?

I don't have one style only, I tend to change every now and then, at the moment it's wearing my hair down, rather boring. But often in summer I wear updo's with hair sticks. I have invented some new updo's, but I'm too lazy to do them!

Arctic_Mama
November 16th, 2008, 01:51 AM
See, my hair isn't the length I want so NONE of it feels really 'me'. I always felt french braids and braided anything was more my style, but with my hair the length it is now a french twist feels closest to my personal 'style'.

Phalaenopsis
November 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I don't wear it that often because of all the work, but I feel like two french braids are really me. I like the cuteness and especially the feel, nice, comfy and out of the way.

eadwine
November 16th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I always wear that braided nautilus bun these days after the 10sec quick bun didn't work anymore (too long hair). I like the standard look and it never gets in the way for work. :)

Drynwhyl
November 16th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I think my "me" hairstyle is just let down, somewhat tangled, wild and natural :)

Katze
November 16th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I feel best when my hair is down, wavy, with volume at the top and somewhat wild. It looks like this at the moment because, after washing and blow-damping on Friday (post swim) I just twisted it into a messy do and put it up. Had it up, messy, coming down in coils all day. Wore it coiled and clipped up for bed Fri night and last night. Now, day 2 after wash, I still have big, wild, wavy, shiny hair.

The messy updo works well for me and makes me feel happy and confident, too, if I get it right. Almost any other updo makes me feel matronly and dumpy.

minkstole
November 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Ponytail or just hanging loose. I have wavy hair that lays very close the the scalp, so if I jus bun it, I look like I´m balding. Ah, maybe when it´s longer.......

Melisande
November 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Two French braids, bunned - love it. But it takes time, so I do it rarely. Since the French twist doesn't work anymore, I have switched over to the flipped bun. I love the look of that bun.

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:01 AM
well my hair isn't really long enough yet, but when it was i'd try out all sorts of different styles just for fun. Mostly i either wear my hair down, kept in place by an alice band or in a loose bun :)

logica_divina
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 AM
The ultimate ME style has been hair down for ages. Though I noticed that I'm slowly getting tired of it. Cinnabun is No2 :p

neon-dream
November 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I don't think I suit updos because I have a round face =/
but if anyone can think of any I could do, that would be cool :)

Periwinkle
November 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Probably a French braid, though I wear a lot of cinnabuns. I don't really like the way they look, but I get to use pretty sticks and they're quicker than braiding.

joyfulmom4
November 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I think wearing it down is the most "me", but I'm beginning to try some new updos and really enjoying them. I also am acquiring interesting new hairtoys so I like those. I am not very good at making most updos though, so I can't say any one of them is most suited to me. I do cinnabuns a lot, but feel they look a tad frumpy on me. More fullness around the face suits me best, but it's hard for me to get my hair up securely w/o pulling it tight. :(

luciole
November 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Everthing that looks messy is "me".

Speckla
November 16th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Pictures are a must. I like my bangs/sides twisted back and secured into 4 sections held with mini-jaw clips. The back must be curly and free.

http://images115.fotki.com/v685/photos/1/1199357/5742622/000_2085-vi.jpg
________
Babi mac proved that (http://babimac.com/)

Boots
November 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Anything with the ends out- peacock twists, messy knots, a flipped braid... I don't look right in the sleeker, neater styles.

I also like something in the front, like twisties, quiffs, or sideswept long bangs.

mommy101405
November 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm all about the messy knot thing. I wear my hair like that pretty much everyday.

<She>
November 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I used to wear my hair down all the time untill I had it past-waist length, and I couldn't imagine myself with any style or updo or even ponytail, ever.
I don't really have any hairstyle that is really ME, but closest to it is an English braid or a cinnabun. Sometimes a French braid. Messy hair doesn't suit me.

AJoifulNoise
November 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I wear a cinnabun just about every day. The only thing that changes is what holds it up- one stick, a pair of sticks, ficcare, or little clippies.

Braided pigtails are also "me," but I don't wear them as often.

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I would say either down, or a ponytail, or a braid of some kind.

Ryanne
November 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
A messy bun, whatever I try, it ends messy.

Alia
November 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Two braids, but not often. Some people think it is too young and thus inappropriate after your twenties.:(

Chromis
November 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
False crown braid. A crown fit for a queen!

yrrebwartsymssi
November 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
when my hair was longer, i always wore it in a bun on top of my head

sneakybea
November 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Probably the standard figure eight bun, since a. I wear it all the time and b. I don't see many other people who do.

sahiba
November 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Mine would be my daily wear bun in my album.

joyfulmom4
November 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I don't think I suit updos because I have a round face =/
but if anyone can think of any I could do, that would be cool :)

neon-dream, I'm not sure which updo style would be best, but I do have a similar problem with certain styles not suiting my face shape and head shape. My face shape is very angular, with a short forehead, a fairly sharp jawline and flatter profile; my head shape is flatter at the back.

I am still figuring out which styles look best on me, but I have discovered that it's not just the actual bun (figure 8 or cinnabun or whatever) but also how you position it on your head, how tightly you pull back the hair away from your face, how sleek or messy you make it, what accessories you fix it with, etc.

I would suggest playing around with some different styling variations and see how these factors affect your look. I just discovered that if I lean forward and comb my hair into a ponytail very high on the back of my head, then twist it all into a slightly looser bun situated high up, this results in a much more flattering updo. All around my face it is soft and wispy and there's lots of fullness over my scalp. The hairs are swept up and back instead of down and back which somehow creates a far softer and prettier look for me. Also, the hair below the bun in back is soft and fluffy and kinda loose, not pulled tight to my scalp.

It has a hint of an old-fashioned Victorian or Gibson-girl look to it, so at first I wasn't sure about wearing this way, but I decided to go for it b/c it makes my face and head shape look so much prettier and softer than when I make the same bun starting with my hair combed back to the nape of my neck or even a little higher.

I'm not suggesting that this particular style would be the best one for you (it might, but I don't know) but it goes to show how that it's possible to make small changes in an updo to make it suit your features better. I think for a round face, you probably want some fullness and wisps and not something too strictly pulled back. I wonder if some detail toward the front on each side would draw the eye in and create interest, like maybe starting your updos with each side pulled back in a comb or a twist before putting into an updo? Or perhaps making two french braids, beginning close to the front hairline, and then twisting the braids up into a bun?

LawyerGirl
November 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
When my hair was long, I would almost always have it half-up or in a messy bun

girlcat36
November 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
My style has been messy half-up forever. It will probably stay that way.

freznow
November 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
A low nape bun/knot. That's almost all I ever wear... Type of bun/knot and method of securing it changes, but almost always a nape style with middle part.

Crinita
November 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Twin braids, either English or French (depends on whether or not I'm going to wear a hat) would probably be the style that is 'mine'. I've heard the arguments that "it's too young" to which I have answered, "Did you mistake me for an 8 year old? No? Then I guess it's not a problem then!" :D

<edit out ageism rant, moved to blog>

Pax,
Crinita

Aisha25
November 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
For me single braid down my back,if I am not wearing this I feel very out of place and not myself. I love to feel it sliding at my side when I bend or being tossed over my shoulder when I am cooking I love it:cloud9:

Annushka
November 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Heidi braids!!
I love them, and should wear them all the time because I'm my most happy and comfortable with them.
But they just take too much time, and since my hair's usually still damp when I head off to work, I don't get much chance to wear them.
I really should make more of an effort, since I love them so much.

Tangles
November 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Heidi braids and twin braids (babyish, but I suit them)

Curls set with rollers

Simply down with a headband

Buns high on the head.

Lady Lilya
November 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I end up wearing a non-descript bun most of the time. My hair is curly, so any detail of any fancy updo gets lost. I generally start by twisting my hair on the sides towards my head and clipping that near the back, high on my head, with contour clips that match my hair color. Then I collect the rest of it and pull it straight up. I clip that to my head with a long bar clip. Then I fold the ends back down over the clip and arrange them to cover it, then clip it with bobby pins.

The reason I do this is because my toddler won't leave it alone if anything is loose at all. I console myself by sticking a decorative fork or comb in it sometimes.

My preferred hairstyle for going out is a kinda half-do where I just collect a bit from the sides and clip it back with a single ficcarre or with 2 small decorative thingies of whatever type. This accomplishes the function of keeping it out of my face.

I look best with a lot of poof around my face. The curliness seems to give me that. I think crown braids really suit me. But I don't really have enough hair to pull one off well at this time. I used to do them when I had hair below my butt.

xrosiex
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I almost always were a single braid. Thats what is most comfortable to me.

Kirin
November 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
if its good or not to keep my hair down..... thats where it is lol. I know keeping it up is better but its sooooo not me!

Bangs, air dried, tousled, and sometimes sprayed upside down and let to be a wild...... er, controlled chaos, thats me!

Arcana
November 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I love to wear my hair down. It's BSL curly (3a ish), and I love to leave it to do what it wants (within certain parameters of course). Other than that I adore braids. One loose english braid down the back is a current favourite, but I think I feel most like me when I just wear it down and curly.

Vitalai
November 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
My hair is almost always up in a ponytail. I feel comfortable in it, and I think I look better with my hair up.

rubyredslippers
November 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM
A half up, with front sections twisted back and held with a claw clip (my favourite looks like a black bow, though I love my butterfly ones too), and two tendrils loose at the very front of my part is definitely my go-to style, and the one that feels the most 'me.' I never wear my hair the same way two days in a row (or at least, I try not to) but this style I use 2-3 times per week.

It's very soft, very romantic. Very me. I know, not quite LHC-kosher, but it tames pyramid hair, leaves the bulk of my length loose but also keeps it out of the way, and disguises "greasiness" a bit.

Calanthe
November 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
None. I don't have a signature style as I don't wear the same hairstyle every day. Well, most of the time - sometimes I'm too lazy or my hair is too sarcastic, then I tend to wear a simple cinnabun.

winter_star
November 17th, 2008, 03:07 AM
My signature hair do is almost, always out! I sometimes put half up with a pretty clip. No matter how much I try, I can never keep my hair up for long.

Monsterkitti
November 17th, 2008, 03:30 AM
My main style for me at the moment is the cinnabun held with a stick, its quick and easy for work :)

paper
November 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I love to wear my hair in a half up with a pretty flexi-8. I got it out of my face and still wearing it down same time.

rhubarbarin
November 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I like it best down, or half-up. When I wear it up I only like it in a messy, curly bun held with hair pins. Braids and twisted buns really show how thin my length is (my 6" long virgin roots are looking so nice and thick though!). Ponytails, or any other style that pulls my hair back tightly, make my head look so tiny (I have a small head and face and big shoulders, my poofy hair balences things out).

Patty lou
November 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Definitely "Heidi braids"
( braids pinned across the top of my head)

This is my signature style.

Patty lou

skay
November 17th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I like 2 braids on either side of my head or 2 small buns on top of my head as possible.

I don't wear these that often as I teach and don't want to come across as too cutesy.

I end up wearing some kind of peacock-twist bun on the back of my head most days.

Schmoomunitions
November 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I wear my front in a sortof poof roll held by a barette and the rest in one long braid down the back with lots of messy bits falling all over . I like to imagine I look like a recently ravished librarian.

AprilElf
November 18th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Wow - Schmoomunitions, I love your description of your hairdo! :D

For the style that is really me, at the moment I feel it would be a Flipped Cinnabun. :p

lilalong
November 18th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Messy bun at the back of my head and the grown out bangs falling in my face.

It sounds messy, but feels me.

Ricky22
November 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'd have to say its my crazy curly afro type look

Gecko
November 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Lately: When it's down, curly (from sponge rollers) with it half up in a bun held with a hairstick or the bangs pinned back to one side; when it's up it's a high bun (so my bangs get pulled back in it and it goes above the headrest in the car) held with bobby pins or a circular claw. I like having my hair curly because it sort of put it in a stage that I can deal with while I wait for it to be longer and when I trim it.

ilovelonghair
November 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Since it's better to post pictures, this is my style at the moment:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=22414

only much more messier. My hair has it's own mind and is kind of unruly. When I try to make it behave it responds by going limp and greasy!

Mugili
November 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Two French braids...but unfortunately i could't make them. I got two left hands in braiding. I can do only buns :(

KBG
March 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Afro puff/cloud (the larger the better) with thin hairbands. It knocks off a few years too for some reason. I've had nearly every style & process known to mankind but I keep returning to it.

Teazel
March 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ooh. Good question. :hmm: Well, the style that's really "me" is down, loose and flowing. But since I can't do that all the time.... I suppose a single plait feels the most natural to me. :)

zen_oven
March 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I wear my hair down almost exclusively, so I guess that feels the most like me. I did wear an updo today, and kind of liked it, but I think I'll be sticking to wearing it all down as long as I can get away with it. If it gets long enough I may have to get use to updos so I'm not sitting on it all the time. LOL.

viking_quest
March 30th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Any kind of braid but especially dutch braids. When I need to put my hair up that's the style I put it in.

SwordMaiden
March 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I love doing mine in my signature messy half up half down style..so it still hangs down long...or I enjoy leaving it loose and wavy. I feel the best about it when it is all down long...

eyesofsummer
March 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Either down or pulled back in a slide with face framing curls!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/eyesofsummer/hairslide002-1.jpg

This one's my favorite hair slide:D

LittleOrca
March 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM
Leaving my hair down feels like me. I feel free and whimsical. I do enjoy a French twist when putting my hair up since it's easy, but I prefer down... even though I'm training myself to put it up.

hanne jensen
March 31st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Right now, any way it will stay up without too many ends sticking out every which way. My hair is just shoulder length and it just doesn't suit my face when it's down. I look best in extreme lengths. Hoping to achieve that in a few years.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Hairstyle that really makes me feel gorgeous is long and down, with large curls (or tight waves) all over.

The style that makes me feel most awkward is straight hair :S I don't know why, but i just cannot feel beautiful when i have sleek straight hair...

Hypnotica
March 31st, 2009, 04:00 AM
French Twist! :D But that is probably no suprise.

Finoriel
March 31st, 2009, 04:44 AM
:silly: Iīm afraid itīs my avatar style.

I donīt think I even have a daily hairdo or one I like most. There are just too many variations I like to wear, which makes it hard to choose one. It would be easier to answer which style is not me :wink:. (Gibson type styles, for some odd reason most of them donīt work and just look wrong on me. I love them on others though.)

noelgirl
March 31st, 2009, 05:55 AM
I tend to default to a ponytail, although I should do more buns, since the ponytail really isn't any more protective than wearing it down. For ballet I usually do a braided bun.

Phalaenopsis
March 31st, 2009, 06:01 AM
Loose feels like me, a simple ponytail with a flexi or a bun with a 60th street fork. Those are really my most typical do's :)
Just plain and simple.

Upside Down
March 31st, 2009, 06:03 AM
I always wore my hair down when it was longer.
Now I mostly wear it down, but sometimes I put it up in a french twist, and that is "my" hairstyle... just feels wright. :)

When I see all the beautiful styles here, I really wish I had the lenght to learn and wear more hairstyles.
But, it will come.

mellie
March 31st, 2009, 07:34 AM
I LOVE double ponytails! They make me happy. :D

http://home.comcast.net/~ttudek//pwpimages/.__277_480_DSCN2002&#37;20copy.jpg

What I like too is that they're so easy, and they look cute from the front and the back too!

http://home.comcast.net/~ttudek//pwpimages/.__190_480_DSCN2123.jpg

Braidmaid
March 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
At this point, having it down loose is the real me. Other times, a simple braid, or if I'm being really active, two braids, native american style.

JamieLeigh
March 31st, 2009, 08:08 AM
A few months ago, I would have answered this question with:

"Yes! The braided bun secured by a clip! I wear it everyday almost!"

But since joining LHC and finding so many new styles to try out, I've really not got an "everyday" style anymore. I'm enjoying playing with my new hair toys! :D :D

Quahatundightu
March 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Definitely DOWN!!! Haha. And this is my problem, I'm sure I've been stalled because I naver tie up my hair. Wah.

Lately I've been wearing a lot of buns, but I don't really have an updo that's really 'me'. Well, maybe my fake mohawk which I make by braiding my hair into a crest and winding a ribbon through it, but that's not an everyday style :P

rags
March 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
The one I've worn the most in the past is the half up and I love it! It's my favorite; but as my hair is so fine and fragile I'm putting it up more and more, so right now it's a cinnabun!
The half-up still feels more like "me" though, somehow.

Roseate
March 31st, 2009, 01:33 PM
As long as it's up I usually feel pretty happy and comfortable with it; if it's down I tend to be more self-critical, and I feel sort of exposed. As to the specific hairstyle I wear most, right now it's this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3656/3326457414_14643d7e27_m.jpg

It's a half-up cinnabun with the bottom half then twisted around it and pinned. Distributes the weight well, easy to do but looks kinda complex, comfortable all day.

AutumnLeaves
March 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
For me it always used to be the half-up. For dress up rarities, a loose bun, and when the hair drives me most batty, a simple high pony tail. Since my advanced aging and me staying home, it is usally just down and wild these days. I'm one of those women that has the kind of har that scares small children! LOL

feralnature
March 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Two simple braids, like a Native American woman, from behind my ears, laying in front down my shoulders.

KajiKodomo
March 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
When my hair is long enough, the style that is really "me" is either a single braid or double braids. These were always my default styles when it was longer, and will be my default styles when it gets long enough.

For now, though, my default style will either be two small clips or a headband *sigh*.

wintersun99
March 31st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Down - with face framing layers (at about mid-neck to shoulders) long enough to put back if needed.

My hair at its longest was just past APL so I never practiced with updo's but learning them (when my hair grows longer) is something I am very much looking forward to.

Pixna
March 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'm one of those women that has the kind of har that scares small children! LOL

Okay, that just cracked me up!!! :rollin:

When my hair was longer, I wore a single braid down the back every day. Lately, as I'm growing back to long, I am wearing my hair down, with a side part wherever it naturally falls. I am also doing half-ups, which were another of "my styles" when my hair was longer. My husband always liked it that way, and for now, since I have virtually invested my life savings in a huge stash of flexi-8s, it will probably stay my style for quite a while.

Xandergrammy
March 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Two braids, but not often. Some people think it is too young and thus inappropriate after your twenties.:(

Nonsense. I'm 53 and one of my favorite styles (and my grandson's very favorite) is two braids. I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks.

And a single braid or double braids are the styles that make me feel most like "me".

goodenough
March 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Wow--weird how many people have some of the same favorites as me. I've been thinking about this a lot since I'm going to cut from past waist to BSL with layers in the front in a few days. I made a checklist of my favorite styles to make sure I could do all of them. In order of me-ness:

half-up (best hairstyle in the world) will look even better since I will have shorter front pieces to frame the face. This was getting too weird looking with my length.
high fluffy bun thing with bangs twisted back (I can do this with even apl hair since it's not even a twisted bun
down (which I can't really do at all right now because it's unhealthy in the front.
low pony 9haven't been able to do this in a while

As I see it, the styles I'll lose are the braided ones. I feel like braids aren't really "me."

Anyway--it's fun seeing everyone's go-to styles.

MemSahib
March 31st, 2009, 04:14 PM
At classic length? I have no idea. I wish I could still wear a French twist but, alas, it no longer works. That's the breaks.

Jules diamond
March 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Half up works best for me. Mostly since it looks best, and it takes some bulk out of my hair. I can't wait to see it when I reach waist! <3

I also like odango (twin buns) just because they're cute.

And low pigtails. Ditto.

Vela
March 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM
Down is what people are used to seeing me with, but I feel best with a fake crown braid, or a tiara(heidi) braid. I'll wear other styles, but I love the crown braid the most, and I feel more 'me' while wearing it.

Fireweed
March 31st, 2009, 10:20 PM
A bun or English braid. I never seem to ever wear it down any more.

FUNK2LOPEZ
March 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I usually wear it in just a simple bun all the time, except when sleeping. Sometimes I wear it in a ponytail or french braid. I have discovered that I like to part my hair down the middle and wear two ponytails to show off the length and keep it off the back of my neck, so I don't get too hot when I go out for fun.:beerchug:

Elbereth
March 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
A simple bun, like Celtic knot, secured with some pretty hairtoy.