PDA

View Full Version : Best wood for hair sticks/forks?

FallingDarkness
July 19th, 2022, 01:42 AM
My hair is finally longish again and so I am graduating back to hair sticks for buns that don't automatically fall apart. A few of mine I'd invested in a while back have mysteriously disappeared. :/ Which just means I can go shopping again!! I tried searching here for best types of wood to use for least amount of damage so I can be a little more choosey with my purchases, but nothing really came up...does anyone have any preferences or suggestions? Thanks!

Lady Stardust
July 19th, 2022, 02:47 AM
I think it’s more about the reputation of the hair stick maker than the type of wood. The most important thing is that the stick is smooth so it doesn’t snag your hair.

Some sticks and forks are treated to be water resistant, Dymondwood, and another similar sounding word that I can’t remember :)

I choose sticks based on the colour and grain of the wood and how it will look in my hair. I don’t have many - one fork from Over The Hawaiian Moon, and two ReDoodle spirals.

Zesty
July 19th, 2022, 12:29 PM
Agree with everything Lady Stardust said above. It's more about finishes than the particular wood. I would look around the conventional products & accessories board for makers whose work you like. Personally I like more waterproof/water resistant materials like dymondwood -- 60th Street has a few brands equivalent to dymondwood, but they also do have natural wood. Might be a place to start for forks.

Of course, you may already have go-to shops from before, but just some of my thoughts. :)

bparnell75
July 19th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Having made many sticks myself I agree it is about the finish, It should be smooth as silk. Of course you can't feel that when you are ordering. If you are looking for economy sticks here is my recommendation. All of these are finish lovely.
https://www.amazon.com/Myhsmooth-Zz-mooncha-Natural-Sandalwood-Handmade/dp/B07M759Y2R/ref=sr_1_48?crid=39DQE8C1VO4K2&keywords=hair+sticks+for+buns&qid=1658255910&sprefix=hair+sticks%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-48

FallingDarkness
July 19th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Thank you so much!! I'll definitely be checking all of these out.

Obsidian
July 21st, 2022, 03:16 PM
Check out OverTheHawaiianMoon on etsy. He makes sticks/forks in a few different woods and aluminum. I have a couple rosewood forks and they are really smooth. Got a black aluminum stick as a freebie