PDA

View Full Version : What are some hair care/growth tips from your country or family?

violenttradwife
July 12th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Hey everyone.
Been meaning to ask this for some time, but what's a staple hair care/growth tip that is common in your country? or a secret that has been carried generations through your family?
I think this'll be interesting.

SandyBottom
July 12th, 2022, 04:48 PM
I think you're right.:popcorn:

mermaid lullaby
July 12th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Here is my tip

Do you live in a dry climate?
Does your hair feel normal in the spring and fall (because of humidity)...but, dry during summer and winter because the air is drier?
Does your hair feel dry a few days, after your shower during summer and winter, even though the products worked for you in the spring and autumn?

I use a humidifier for my hair, overnight, and it's back to feeling soft. I use a gallon size that has a cool misting spray.

alewyn
July 13th, 2022, 06:30 AM
It's not exactly a "family secret", but I was fortunate that my mom was always adamant about gently detangling from the bottom up. When I was really little, I would twist my hair in my sleep shudder: and wake up with these horrible mats, and she never once hurt my scalp when detangling them or had to cut one out. Looking back, I'm amazed at her patience!

lapushka
July 13th, 2022, 10:12 AM
What has been passed down from one generation to the next is the use of a wide tooth comb, gently "wringing" out the hair, not rubbing with a towel, not bunching the hair up, all the general stuff. No "secrets" here. LOL! Just decently good hair care. I guess I got lucky with that!

shelomit
July 13th, 2022, 11:48 AM
I guess I have a couple of regional traditions from the Southwest. I used to really struggle with dry hair living in the desert until a Ute friend of mine told me to stuff the cracks around the bathroom door up with towels, run the shower as hot as possible for a few minutes to fill it up with steam, and just hang out in there with a book or a project for a while before actually showering and washing my hair. I suppose it's a sauna for people who don't have access to saunas ( ; A more old-fashioned one from the region is that oiling hair is considered kind of exotic, but lots of older folks will use animal fat in their hair. Men sometimes grease their beards with lard or tallow also.

From my own family, I think the main thing I've gotten is our henna recipe: one lemon, a cup of cold black tea, and enough water to make it slippery. It might not be the best recipe in the world, and I know that a lot of people prefer to avoid acidic ingredients in their henna mixtures, but I keep using this one because it brings back memories of my aunties and cousins "getting our hair did" for holidays at grandma's house.

foreveryours
July 13th, 2022, 11:50 AM
As we say here in America, «Laissez faire»

It applies to way more than just good hair

MeganCares1
July 13th, 2022, 03:32 PM
I will try this and I'll tell you if it works, thank you for the tip

lapushka
July 13th, 2022, 04:16 PM
As we say here in America, «Laissez faire»

It applies to way more than just good hair

Laissez faire laissez passer. Gotcha. ;) :p

foreveryours
July 13th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Laissez faire laissez passer. Gotcha. ;) :p

Imperative :thumbsup:

Gibson_Girl
July 13th, 2022, 09:32 PM
This is definitely not cultural, but I was taught to always braid my hair before going to bed. It's so deeply ingrained in me by now that I can't fall asleep if my hair isn't in a braid.

Zesty
July 14th, 2022, 12:41 PM
Interesting to see these responses!

Personally my family is no good with hair. :lol: My mom didn't teach me to French braid, for example, so I learned from YouTube when I was in college. I guess she refused to buy me a wet-to-dry flat iron when I asked as a preteen, so I dodged that bullet. My dad always told me to avoid having my scalp wet for too long and that was good advice (for me and my skin, anyway). But I'm an anomaly hair wise.

And I don't think the gen pop of the US has great hair care either, so another miss on that. I'll have to gather wisdom from others here. :)

Dark40
July 14th, 2022, 09:02 PM
In my country and also it comes from my family as well is that we use coconut oil and argan oil. One of my cousins on my father's side of the family told me in order to grow my hair to my butt is that coconut oil and argan oil are the two super hair growth agents, and braiding as our protective style.

SandyBottom
July 14th, 2022, 09:54 PM
Interesting to see these responses!

Personally my family is no good with hair. :lol: My mom didn't teach me to French braid, for example, so I learned from YouTube when I was in college. I guess she refused to buy me a wet-to-dry flat iron when I asked as a preteen, so I dodged that bullet. My dad always told me to avoid having my scalp wet for too long and that was good advice (for me and my skin, anyway). But I'm an anomaly hair wise.

And I don't think the gen pop of the US has great hair care either, so another miss on that. I'll have to gather wisdom from others here. :)

This is my problem too! I grew up being subjected to tight tight braids and ponytails, bobby pins, metal barrettes, no conditioner (what's that??) until I was a teen (although No More Tangles made an occasional appearance),wool sweaters/hats/scarves that caused tons of static and knots. I was taught to scour my scalp with my nails. I have always been a lover of the beach and sun, saltwater and waves. This gave me sun-bleached hair that was very fragile and loaded with split ends. I was never taught anything about hair protection or proper care and witnessed blowfrying, curling, perms, dyes etc by other family members. The only thing I feel I can contribute to this thread is what NOT to do. I have a family member who was way more natural and I remember she gave me a wooden slide when I was about 13. I loved that but didn't even know that's what it was called until joining here! Maybe all of this should be in the Confessions forum.?

C_Bookworm
July 14th, 2022, 10:07 PM

:rollin: This is true. I frequently get:
“You’ll get a cold if you go out with wet hair.” (Hasn’t killed me yet…)
“Hair grows when you cut off the dead ends.” (So a buzz cut, then?)

And the worst was when my mom confused the advice for deep treatments and getting out gum into advice for detangling. She put peanut butter and mayonnaise into my knee length, matted hair (I’d gone swimming and the braid came out). We had to cut all the mats out, in the end. I lost feet of length, all in one cut.

squirrrel
July 15th, 2022, 12:14 AM
No family hair care tips from my end either. I was quite pleased when the hairdresser told me that my habit of not blow drying my hair after washing (I hate the noise) would be why it was in good condition when I &was in for a cut as a teenager. Real reason for continuing my habit: I have drip dried ever since. The closest to advice from my family comes from my mum’s observation of her gran who seems to have had around tbl hair: great gran kept her hair in milkmaid braids going around the back of her head and only took them down once a day that my mum saw, in the afternoon. She would take one braid down, neaten it and braid it again, and then do the same on the other side. I’m going to guess that she took the style down at the start and then put it up again. My mum can’t remember her gran washing her hair. This would have probably been in the 1950’s/60’s (I think she died a little before my parents married) and great gran could easily have washed when mum was elsewhere, seeing they lived in two different houses and mum naturally attended school…. That’s as close to I get.