PDA

View Full Version : Should I S&D or trim?

chainedangel
November 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
So my longest bits of hair are past tailbone and I haven't been all that careful with my hair. Therefore I have many splits. I'm looking at 2 options. Spend a long long long time doing S&D and keep the possibility of fairytale ends. >or< Do a Feye self trim and risk
losing the possibility of fairytale ends. Help? Obviously healthy long hair is my ultimate goal. So. Any thoughts?

Growin' It
November 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM
There are merits for both. How much time you've got will determine whether you can S&D. (At one stage I had split ends waiting about a month for me.)

If healthy hair is your goal, then maybe bite the bullet and do a trim? It doesn't have to be a big one.

logica_divina
November 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I agree. If I were you I'd trim it. Do a trim now and then S&D whenever needed.

Gothic Lolita
November 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
If you don't mind losing a bit of your length, do a trim. I personally love the look of freshly cut hair. You could do then regular S&D session to avoid more trims than necessary.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 16th, 2008, 03:03 AM
It is really up to you? Which do you think gives you better long term results??

It also spends on how bad the splits are?

florenonite
November 16th, 2008, 04:26 AM
What if you do a V-shaped small Feye trim, then regular S&Ding? The V-shaped trim will more closely mimic fairytale ends than a blunt one, and so shouldn't affect your fairytaling as much as a blunt trim would.

Ryanne
November 16th, 2008, 04:55 AM
If you really have many split ends I'd trim.

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I just got my hair trimmed for the same reason, i think it would generally be better to get a dusting trim every few months or even a bigger trim like an inch, trust me, healthy hair is worth it, long hair looks best without splits! :D

joyfulmom4
November 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm at pretty much the same decision-making point. My hair got to classic length w/o me doing much with it. Now I'm wishing I'd taken better care of it. It's not *bad* since I never blow-dry, color or heat style it; just shampoo, condition and air dry. But still, I've got splits and breaks. So I've been contemplating a trim. I used to just go in and have 3-4 inches cut off whenever I felt like tidying up the ends. But now I don't want to lose length. I haven't decided on fairytale ends yet. I never wanted them before, but as I do more updos, I realize that fairtales are much more updo-friendly than blunt ends.

My decision at this point was to try doing multiple S&D missions and mini-self-trims of the ends for awhile, along with some better conditioning, oiling and haircare for a few weeks. At that point, I'm going to reevaluate and if I am not happy w/ the condition, then I will proceed with a trim. If I trim, I'll probably go conservative, an inch at a time and repeat if necessary.

Perhaps this would work for you too?

Periwinkle
November 16th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I would do what floreonite suggested. You could also try trimming erratically, rather than in one go, which would help maintain fairytaling.

By 'erratically', I don't mean chop your hair at random!! I mean probably make a few ponytails and do a trim on each of them, so that the ends wouldn't be totally the same, or just take sections (or have someone else do it) reasonably at random and take however much you want to trim off each one. You could also try snipping a very short distance (1cm, 0.5cm) up into the hair, to make the ends all finish at different lengths.

freznow
November 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I did an S&D the other day. 75&#37; of my splits would not have been gotten rid of by anything other than a 1 foot trim. The ends don't actually have that much, and S&D is actually rather relaxing, so I didn't mind doing it.

jojo
November 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
How about a compromise? you could try a dusting and then do a s&d or do i mean the other way round?