PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hair Day Compliments

Alia
November 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Why is it that when my hair is falling untidily out of a braid, cowlicked like a longhorn, or a skanky oil slick suddenly people start commenting on what lovely hair I have?:confused: I mean, if it's shiny and glowing and perfect, nothing, but if it looks like cr@p, ooh, pretty!:hmm:

Jessikinz
November 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
haha yeah seems like I only get these hair compliments when my hair just looks awful.

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hahah. I had the opposite. I was shopping and met my mom some where and she said 'wow, your hair looks great! Did you get it trimmed?"
Me "no'
"Styled differently?'
'no"
"Something is different' she says
I laughed 'yah, it's clean for a change' ;)
We laughed at that (very often, I visit her on the way back from the barn, sans clean hair)

Seraphina
November 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Weird,eh ? At least it makes me more at ease if my hair just won't go into a bun-I can pretend it was meant to be messy :D

misstwist
November 16th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Because the current preferred look is messy.

Just look at the teenagers and young adult women you see. If they have any length at all it tends to be in a bun that is mostly falling out or in a low ponytail that is bouffanty at the crown with the ends of their layers sticking out and sprayed into submission. If it's down it's ironed within an inch of its life, but messy when up.

At least that's what I see around here and I don't like it, no sir, not at all.

And, btw, you kids get off'a my lawn! :)

Seraphina
November 16th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Because the current preferred look is messy.

Just look at the teenagers and young adult women you see. If they have any length at all it tends to be in a bun that is mostly falling out or in a low ponytail that is bouffanty at the crown with the ends of their layers sticking out and sprayed into submission. If it's down it's ironed within an inch of its life, but messy when up.

At least that's what I see around here and I don't like it, no sir, not at all.

And, btw, you kids get off'a my lawn! :)

And that is why I wear my hair (when it cooperates) in a tidy 'librarian' bun-no matter what other people my age say.I mean,why follow trends,right ? :) (plus,librarians are great!)

Dreamernz
November 16th, 2008, 05:15 AM
lol long live librarians!:D

Fantak
November 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
*has always embraced the messy hair look*

My hair would never stay in a braid (let alone a bun) when I was little no matter how hard my mother tried, but then I've always been very avant-garde :D lol

Fencai
November 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM
i hear you! Just when I think my hair looks totally manky, someone at work will say "Oh your hair is so shiny and looks so healthy..."
I always say thank you! and then go back to my office and wonder what THEY were looking at! LOL!

*dances on misstwists' lawn!* (couldnt resist!)

TheKnight'sLady
November 16th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I haven't had that experience yet, but this thread did answer one of my newbie questions: do the LHC experts ever have bad hair days? I guess so, but even when they do, they get compliments! :)

brok3nwings
November 16th, 2008, 07:41 AM
oh i like messy, always liked messy, but a healthy shiny messy hair, like childreen playing around without caring about their hair :) i hate fake messy with all those broken hairs just to have some volume ... hmm.

Carolyn
November 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I guess they aren't seeing what we see. We are our own worst critics :D I've had that happen to me too. I dunno. If the complimenters are short haired people they don't really "get" long hair. Just say thanks to the compliments and carry on.

I adore the messy look. I'm frustrated that I simply can't get my hair to look properly messy in a looped up bun. I can't get my ends to stick out right. I try and try and it never looks messy enough.

Boots
November 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I like my curls to be sort of “cultivated messy.” I'll leave my ends out of updos or loosen buns to make them fuller, but no frizz, whispies, or splits! The sides and back have to be smoothed out with a BBB and aloe vera-ed into plce even if the top knot is all full and curling out.

Alia
November 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I find it odd that, for special events, people go to great lengths to look as though they drove with their head out the window.:shrug: Oh, well...that's the style.

Ryanne
November 16th, 2008, 09:18 AM
It happened to me once, I just smiled and thanked the person.

(Alia, is your avatar from Ever After?)

Alia
November 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It happened to me once, I just smiled and thanked the person.

(Alia, is your avatar from Ever After?)
Yes! It is my favorite costume and hair movie.

Ryanne
November 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Yes! It is my favorite costume and hair movie. Mine too! I love the hairstyles in it.

spidermom
November 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I seldom get compliments about my hair. I can't remember receiving one when I thought my hair looked bad. However, the last time that a man other than my husband really "came on" to me, I was sitting in the laundromat, dirty and sweaty from doing an anti-lice house cleaning, washing many loads of laundry from the kids' room. He was a younger, good-looking man, too. I can't imagine what he saw in me that day - a hard worker, maybe?

Lamb
November 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have gotten a few compliments on my bedhead. :silly: If my hair has a particularly good curl day, it is almost never noticed.

misstwist
November 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
However, the last time that a man other than my husband really "came on" to me, I was sitting in the laundromat, dirty and sweaty from doing an anti-lice house cleaning, washing many loads of laundry from the kids' room. He was a younger, good-looking man, too. I can't imagine what he saw in me that day - a hard worker, maybe?

Was he looking for a sugarmama or a housekeeper? :p

mellie
November 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Haha, that's funny!

I have this happen to me too, it is quite perplexing...although I think that when my hair appears oily to me, it actually looks shiny and beautiful to other people? Maybe? I don't know....

Jean_Grey
November 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I get them all the time when I've been fretting about how terrible my hair looks. I figure that is the universe's way of telling me to chill out.

spidermom
November 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Was he looking for a sugarmama or a housekeeper? :p

I think you figured it out! He must have been looking for a housekeeper, as sugarmamas don't generally hang out in laundromats (being able to afford their own laundry rooms at home).