PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in shampoo

Lesley8
June 23rd, 2022, 12:19 PM
Hi, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts is about silicone in shampoo? Noticed its in mine.
Thanks

Zesty
June 23rd, 2022, 12:38 PM
I don't think it's harmful. Probably just gives your hair and/or the product itself a little more slip. I think my shampoo has some in it as well. I guess it might be more likely to exacerbate an oily scalp?

What's the shampoo? But regardless, if it works then it works.

Lesley8
June 23rd, 2022, 01:01 PM
I don't think it's harmful. Probably just gives your hair and/or the product itself a little more slip. I think my shampoo has some in it as well. I guess it might be more likely to exacerbate an oily scalp?

What's the shampoo? But regardless, if it works then it works.

It's kerastase extentioniste shampoo Amdimethicone ( not sure I spelled this correctly!)

AmaryllisRed
June 23rd, 2022, 01:06 PM
If I use shampoo without silicone, it makes my hair really hard to detangle above the neck where I don't use conditioner. But I feel like the silicone makes my scalp oily faster, so I alternate between the two.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2022, 01:06 PM
Whether you are *for* or *against* silicones, is a very personal thing. I reckon if it's not broken then don't fix it. Don't pick it apart (I used to do that), and just go by how your hair reacts to it.

I would, though, keep a shampoo on hand that has 0 silicones in it, so you can clarify once in a while. Your hair (as they say) might "get used to it". That just means there's build up (kind of unlikely in a shampoo) and you need to re-set your hair.

Hope this makes sense. :)

Lesley8
June 23rd, 2022, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone, my hair seems to really like it at the moment, I also thought I'd need to clarify to get rid of build up.
Hopefully it will be ok for my hair

Lady Stardust
June 23rd, 2022, 04:07 PM
Amodimethicone doesn’t build up too much, as far as I remember. It is supposed to help to repair damaged hair.

I had a shampoo with it in, and it was fine. The shampoo was reformulated without it, and I didn’t really notice a difference.

SeppV
June 24th, 2022, 12:04 AM
I second Lapushka! :-)
I shunned silicones for years, but after having them back in my routine I am much happier with my hair. They work nicely for me anyways. I would prefer only having silicones in my leave in, just because I could get away with less build up then (I CWC, so the longer I can go without clarifying, the happier I am). Since I am using Head and Shoulders I have to accept silicones in my shampoo and conditioner now. Anyway, as long as you know your hair enough to know when it's time for a full wash with a non silicone shampoo (or a clarifying shampoo) I think silicones are a good addition to haircare.

Lesley8
June 24th, 2022, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone :) I'm hoping it helps with my tangles, it seems to be making a difference at the moment.

lapushka
June 24th, 2022, 03:38 AM
I second Lapushka! :-)
I shunned silicones for years, but after having them back in my routine I am much happier with my hair. They work nicely for me anyways. I would prefer only having silicones in my leave in, just because I could get away with less build up then (I CWC, so the longer I can go without clarifying, the happier I am). Since I am using Head and Shoulders I have to accept silicones in my shampoo and conditioner now. Anyway, as long as you know your hair enough to know when it's time for a full wash with a non silicone shampoo (or a clarifying shampoo) I think silicones are a good addition to haircare.

It is in H&S. Never knew that, but then I know I need it, and generally never read that ingredient list. Oh well.

I try to cake the silicones on in my conditioners, if I can (I just don't read ingredients anymore so your guess: as good as mine) but I try (or: tried) to be careful with them in my shampoo. Even though it seems to be much more complicated. I used to think it would flare-up my SD, and even that is not the case. It is so much more complicated than this so... don't mind me. LOL!

GordonMurphella
June 24th, 2022, 04:10 AM
They help with slip, not a bad thing in a shampoo. Also, a blanket silicone hatred/fear/avoidance is really not useful anymore ... imho at least ... as there are so many different ones, the science has improved, the silicones themselves have improved, etc. etc. Pluswhich, they're in nearly everything cosmetically. Face care, toothpaste, you name it.

And it's not a bad idea to clarify every so often anyway :)

lapushka
June 24th, 2022, 05:08 AM
They help with slip, not a bad thing in a shampoo. Also, a blanket silicone hatred/fear/avoidance is really not useful anymore ... imho at least ... as there are so many different ones, the science has improved, the silicones themselves have improved, etc. etc. Pluswhich, they're in nearly everything cosmetically. Face care, toothpaste, you name it.

You know, there used to be a time, years ago on here, that I had this "thing" where I picked every ingredient list apart. I mean, it's like a grieving process, but you could call it part of LHC'itis, I think. You go through a phase of experimenting with every food item in your cupboard (so to speak), then you try the natural dyes, then you pick apart ingredient lists. Part and parcel of coming to this site, LOL!

Anyway, I am still as clueless, but I no longer read labels. What I have learned is that *everything* depends on formulation. You can have dimethicone in 2 products and they can both be totally different, because there are other ingredients and you never know what "does it" (in a good or bad way).

foreveryours
June 24th, 2022, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone :) I'm hoping it helps with my tangles, it seems to be making a difference at the moment.

Best thing for tangles I've found is wait for it to dry

You're in no hurry, right? :p

lapushka
June 24th, 2022, 08:49 AM
Best thing for tangles I've found is wait for it to dry

You're in no hurry, right? :p

Exactly what Brad Mondo said in his latest video. Don't force your way through tangles (if your hair is relatively straight), but wait for it to dry, then try again. If your hair can hold up to a brush. Mine can't (when it's dry).

BlushingRose
June 24th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Gosh this is so relatable. A few years back when I first lurked this forum I was just like that, tried all the herbal stuff and had the ingredient blacklist and it probably made my hair worse from manipulation, constantly bring wet, trying styles, ect. Deciding to practice benign neglect ended up being what made my hair grow ironically

BlushingRose
June 24th, 2022, 09:39 AM
I like silicones in shampoos. Helps it gets less tangled in the shower. Just be sure to know the signs of buildup on your hair and clarify when its needed and you're golden! I honestly love cones, my hair was less happy when I was cone free.

lapushka
June 24th, 2022, 09:56 AM
Gosh this is so relatable. A few years back when I first lurked this forum I was just like that, tried all the herbal stuff and had the ingredient blacklist and it probably made my hair worse from manipulation, constantly bring wet, trying styles, ect. Deciding to practice benign neglect ended up being what made my hair grow ironically

I had (and have) the very same experience. So now I stick to a basic routine, use whatever strikes my fancy (with the knowledge of what clarifying is) and just let it be. Best thing ever!

Lesley8
June 24th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. My hair seems a lot more manageable now with silicone, it makes a difference.

Shorty89
August 6th, 2022, 08:04 PM

A blanket hatred totally isn't warranted. LahC sees trends just like any area of society : No Cones, all the cones, Monestat etc. Mos your those things works for some people but not others. For me, I try to avoid cones as they make my hair dull and tangled. I recently accidentally used shampoo with coned and my hair felt terrible. But many people have no issues and actively seek them out.

aloewurly
August 6th, 2022, 11:57 PM
I personally find that coney shampoos make my scalp feel waxy, but that's because of my own amount and type of sebum production. I'm sure someone with a dry scalp or very fine, tangly hair could get a lot out of them, I'd just make sure to use a silicone-free shampoo every once in a while.
I've found ingredients like gums and thickeners to be more problematic in my shampoos than silicones. Anything with a thickening gum turns my roots into a waxy, sticky, flaky mess.

Arciela
August 8th, 2022, 06:13 AM
I use H&S and find my scalp gets very oily fast, is that because the silicones? If I use any shampoo that's safe for malasezzia, they're all harsh clarifying shampoos and those also make my hair oily. I wish I could use different ones, otherwise my scalp itches and gets a flare up. :(

aloewurly
August 8th, 2022, 07:59 AM
I use H&S and find my scalp gets very oily fast, is that because the silicones? If I use any shampoo that's safe for malasezzia, they're all harsh clarifying shampoos and those also make my hair oily. I wish I could use different ones, otherwise my scalp itches and gets a flare up. :(
Maybe try with another head and shoulders variation? They would still have the zinc, but another formula could suit your scalp better. I remember the mint one was too strong for me, but I was happy with the lavender one, and the almond one left my hair feeling dirty.