PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate: Bangs or No Bangs?

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 11:59 AM
It's that time of the year again where in the middle of me growing out my bangs I stop and think.....

"But wait .... did I look better with bangs?"

So before I impulsively cut them again - give me your honest takes on these two pictures and be honest- which style frames my face better?

I'm in the awkward phase where my bangs touch my eyes now and don't always look good without me putting in a lot of effort. Having bangs is certainly easier to just roll out of bed with and have a hairstyle that makes sense all the time, but I've also never allowed myself to grow out my bangs fully since I was maybe 14?

That being said, is it worth it or do I just simply look best with a bang cut!? None of my friends say either way because they give me the good ol' "it looks good either way!" But I want a good, rather anonymous opinion.
...I will say that when I ignore the urge to cut my hair and keep growing out my bangs my mind goes to darker places, like I start thinking "Well if I can't cut my bangs maybe I should dye it again!" shudder:

To all bang cutters: Feel free to post comparison pictures of your hairstyles too!

https://i.imgur.com/eG6QwZT.jpg

lapushka
June 8th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Definitely without. I think the bangs are nice, though a little short on you, which is the sole reason why I don't like them. I don't like them on anyone, to be fair. I don't like them on me either (had my seasons of these, trust me LOL). But the side-swept thing is amazing, IMO.

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 12:08 PM
A more recent example/comparison set:

https://i.imgur.com/zxAFmr2.jpg

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Definitely without. I think the bangs are nice, though a little short on you, which is the sole reason why I don't like them. I don't like them on anyone, to be fair. I don't like them on me either (had my seasons of these, trust me LOL). But the side-swept thing is amazing, IMO.

Noted! Thank you for that!!

KokoroDragon
June 8th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Yep, I prefer without as well. Although that is also my overall preference on most people.

Kyamo
June 8th, 2022, 12:18 PM
I prefer your look without bangs.
I think thickness is a consideration for bangs. Growing out bangs adds to the thickness of the rest of your hair, which may be good or bad depending on the thickness you already have.

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 12:25 PM
I prefer your look without bangs.
I think thickness is a consideration for bangs. Growing out bangs adds to the thickness of the rest of your hair, which may be good or bad depending on the thickness you already have.

That's a good point, as I have pretty thin and straight hair

Estrid
June 8th, 2022, 12:27 PM
I've done that mistake a few times. While my face probably needs *something* around it to look pleasant, bangs ain't it. Every time I've cut them, I've regretted it. Bangs look nice on others, not on me. Long hair with no bangs, to me, makes me think of elegance, history, fantasy, elves, and such, while bangs make me think more like fairies, youth, but also punk (especially with short bangs) and other alternative movements (is that even the right term? brain fart).

In your case I think you look nice with and without bangs, so that's probably more a question of what you feel the most comfortable in.

AmaryllisRed
June 8th, 2022, 12:31 PM
I think I would like them if they were longer, say right above your eyebrows, and not super thick. I'm not a fan of the super short bangs on anyone really.

alewyn
June 8th, 2022, 12:43 PM
As a person with bangs myself, I might be slightly biased here, but I like them on you! I do think that the slightly longer/grown out bangs suit you better than the really short ones, though. Maybe a curtain bang/sideswept thing could be a happy medium. They're much easier to tuck away if you want to fake a no-bangs look.

Ultimately, though, I really do think both with and without look really nice, so it's all about what makes you feel most comfortable.

Since you asked about other folks' experiences, I'll share mine! I have felt much more myself since cutting my bangs back in earlier this year. They're medium/long wispy bangs, and I usually wear them straight across, but sometimes will part them in the middle curtain bangs style or sweep them to either side. I wear my hair up pretty much every day, and without the bangs, I felt like I looked really severe. (I definitely don't think you have that problem, to be clear). I've always thought my forehead was a bit big, and since my hair is dark, my hairline was very jarring in contrast to my fair skin, if that makes sense. And I have a very strong jaw, so the overall look was just kind of... intense. To be honest, I think the most objectively "flattering" (whatever that means) style on me is, and always has been, a chin-length bob with golden blonde highlights (but I want long henna'd hair so I don't care :P)

I don't share my full face online so these pics don't say a ton, but here is a comparison:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46916&d=1648750455
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46917&d=1648752635

elaina
June 8th, 2022, 01:02 PM
i dont normally like short bangs on people, but youre beautiful enough to pull it off, i dont really prefer one of the other on you, but it might be fine to try out some other bang styles that wont be going too much shorter while you figure out what you want to do, maybe side swept like someone else said. personally im team bangs all the way, since i have a big forehead.

Bri-Chan
June 8th, 2022, 01:22 PM
I think we are talking about two different looks. You look good with both, but with bangs it gives some rockabilly/rock/vintage vibes and more elvish/ethereal vibes without bangs. So I guess it has to do with the aesthetic you like more.

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 01:32 PM
It's so funny to me that a few of you have mentioned the "ethereal/elven" look which I quite honestly would consider a goal of mine. I think that is one of the things that draws me back into trying to grow out my bangs, because really I just want to look like an elf!

confettiwizard
June 8th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Since you asked about other folks' experiences, I'll share mine! I have felt much more myself since cutting my bangs back in earlier this year. They're medium/long wispy bangs, and I usually wear them straight across, but sometimes will part them in the middle curtain bangs style or sweep them to either side. I wear my hair up pretty much every day, and without the bangs, I felt like I looked really severe. (I definitely don't think you have that problem, to be clear). I've always thought my forehead was a bit big, and since my hair is dark, my hairline was very jarring in contrast to my fair skin, if that makes sense. And I have a very strong jaw, so the overall look was just kind of... intense. To be honest, I think the most objectively "flattering" (whatever that means) style on me is, and always has been, a chin-length bob with golden blonde highlights (but I want long henna'd hair so I don't care :P)

I feel this heavy! While I have great hair days both with and without bangs I can't deny I also feel more like myself with bangs, because I also have an insecurity about how big my forehead is haha.
By the way, I'm not seeing any images if you posted any!

RedIris
June 8th, 2022, 02:06 PM
Personally I like without better. You have beautiful, pointed features, and the bangs add softness to your face that takes away from the lovely angles, to my eyes. So if you'd like to soften your features then by all means, keep the bangs, you look lovely, just softer! But if you prefer more angular features like I do then without bangs really highlights that :)

alewyn
June 8th, 2022, 02:31 PM
I feel this heavy! While I have great hair days both with and without bangs I can't deny I also feel more like myself with bangs, because I also have an insecurity about how big my forehead is haha.
By the way, I'm not seeing any images if you posted any!

Bah! Not sure what's going on with my image posting capabilities, but stuff has been disappearing on me lately. I also shared the images in the two week rule thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091&page=98), if they are still visible there? Third post down on p. 98!

And I think your face shape is really lovely, fwiw! I don't think you have a big forehead, but of course what even constitutes "big" anyway :p

baanoo
June 8th, 2022, 02:51 PM
I love both looks, tbh, and as someone who is about at the same place as you in your growing-out journey (it is so much work for them to look good right now...) I feel this frustration deeply!

Your short bangs in the first post are really cute; I personally love the teeny fringe with long long hair look and think it's really fun.

The no-bang look is a little more sophisticated, perhaps, and Bri-Chan made a really good point about thickness - especially since your hair is fine. If you're wanting those elven vibes, though, then I think growing them into a curtain is going to support that image more.

momof3mary
June 8th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Both look great, I recommend clip in bangs, you can cut them to suit you and that way there's no grow out if you change your mind.

Kathie
June 8th, 2022, 03:02 PM
I like both. But lean towards no bangs.

I think no bangs is a more classically beautiful look on you. And also, yes, more elvish- an aesthetic I also like.

shelomit
June 8th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Oh, I actually find the half-grown-out look very fetching! The shorter bangs are a little severe.

SandyBottom
June 8th, 2022, 03:09 PM
I'm in favor of your no bangs look because you have really beautiful eyes and I think the bangs are a distraction from that.

Lesley8
June 8th, 2022, 03:23 PM
I like both on you, I myself am growing out my bangs as well and went through a stage of keep cutting them back in as I couldn't make my mind up! You definitely suit both.

blackgothicdoll
June 8th, 2022, 03:50 PM

Ohh the side swept 100%. I also think generally longer bangs would suit your face, but the pic on the right is so pretty. It just compliments the shape of your face better.

rosenester
June 8th, 2022, 05:07 PM
I keep bangs and probably always will, and think they are cute on anyone else who rocks them, yourself included! The grown out ones even look nice on you. Totally biased over here!

My reason for keeping bangs: i have soft features and a roundish face and lots of wrinkles on my forehead to hide. my hair is thick, so I keep thick bangs to take away from the bulk. it keeps my hair out of my eyes so I can see when wearing my hair down, makes updos look better on me & It keeps me from messing with the length. My friends tell me when I let them grow over my brows they look best, but they flip out and require styling and poke my eyes sometimes, so I keep them short, grow them to the brows, and cut them again. Here are mine in the longer phase, I have a lot of layers and face framing as well.

https://i.imgur.com/bOjDD4Q.jpg

That being said, you have sharper features and thinner hair and look beautiful without bangs even though I am a biased bangs supporter!

SleeplessDreamr
June 8th, 2022, 06:10 PM
I honestly like the left image better only because I think the super-short bangs actually show long your face is rather than compliment it. Maybe you could do side bangs or fringe? :D
To be honest, I'm also trying to decide if I should cut my hair or not as my bangs have grown to the point I could probably do something with them, but I'm hesitant to do so.
Good luck!

lairiel
June 8th, 2022, 11:02 PM
I personally love the look with the curtain bangs underneath the kerchief-- I think it looks elegant and artsy at the same time, and quite flattering on you! But as some others have said, it depends somewhat on the aesthetic you are going for. I definitely think that you have the face to go without the bangs and get that elvish feeling.
Personally, I have a solid curtain bang that's just under my eyebrows, and it works great for me as I have a high widow's peak and a round face that's definitely not elvish! (And I mostly wear my hair pulled back from my face, which accentuates the roundness if there's nothing framing my face.) I can't post pics yet but I hope you get the idea. With the curtain bang, I can wear them to one side or the other, split in the middle, or with a curtain, and pull my hair back into a rough half-up bun that invokes the rougher, wood-elf aesthetic for me. :) There are ways to invoke the elven aesthetic without having the stereotypical long wavy hair, I think!
I say, the longer bangs, the better! But if you wish to go without, I think that would work well for you as well! :)
Best wishes with your decision :)

Gia11
June 9th, 2022, 12:14 AM
It's that time of the year again where in the middle of me growing out my bangs I stop and think.....

"But wait .... did I look better with bangs?"

So before I impulsively cut them again - give me your honest takes on these two pictures and be honest- which style frames my face better?

I'm in the awkward phase where my bangs touch my eyes now and don't always look good without me putting in a lot of effort. Having bangs is certainly easier to just roll out of bed with and have a hairstyle that makes sense all the time, but I've also never allowed myself to grow out my bangs fully since I was maybe 14?

That being said, is it worth it or do I just simply look best with a bang cut!? None of my friends say either way because they give me the good ol' "it looks good either way!" But I want a good, rather anonymous opinion.
...I will say that when I ignore the urge to cut my hair and keep growing out my bangs my mind goes to darker places, like I start thinking "Well if I can't cut my bangs maybe I should dye it again!" shudder:

To all bang cutters: Feel free to post comparison pictures of your hairstyles too!

https://i.imgur.com/eG6QwZT.jpg

Love this post........
I think I get where you are coming from and of course ultimately is entirely your choice what you end up doing.

But I am in a similar situation...yet different lol I have had bangs all my life, at some point when I was little bangs where cut on me and that was it.....I have had them all my life....LITERALLY! I mean I am 44 now,this is a very long time! AND....I do not know what is like to be without bangs. Should I allow myself to exprience that???
Every freaking time I allow them to grow long till they cover half my eyes...I start freaking out and cut them again...for me is like the eternal battle between good and evil:luke: . So I have promised my hair that if it reaches classic length (I am almost there) I will let the bangs grow; and now I am freaking out again because it looks like I might have to go through with it lol .

I have personally experienced with having my fringe from very short to very long and that is quite nice........you can try growing long , as that shoul not take much time) and see how that feels.Sometimes putting ourselves through things that makes us uncomfortable leads to personal growth.
My preferred fringe(bangs) length is when is resting on my brows-long yet I can still see clearly. It feel very comfortable and reassuring to feel the weight of the hair on my fringe.
Of course for me personally there is a spiritual reason why I have bangs but that is something I shall leave for when I am a member and I can post blogs.

You posted this a while back and I now wonde what you ended up doing.

Gia11
June 9th, 2022, 12:18 AM
Oooops! Sorry new here and did not sleep well; you did not post this long ago. I mistook your joining date for posting date:rolleyes:.

Glitch
June 9th, 2022, 12:32 AM
Eek! You are gorgeous! :heartbeat

I do think you pull off the short bangs, but I think that the longer, side swept bangs compliment your features more! This all being said, I love all the different opinions and perspectives here so much, goes to show how subjective beauty/what we find pretty is! Personally, historically I've always cut in bangs, regretted it/grown it all out, only to end up cutting them in again and repeat! Always so indecisive. But for the first time a few weeks ago, I cut in long bangs with a couple face framing layers and I'm never going back! I love it so much and finally felt "certain" about a look on me. So likewise, experimenting with bangs is often a big back and forth until you find a sweet spot IMO :flower:. I also love your look without bangs as well (though I personally favour the side swept one). With bangs, the look seems a lot more youthful, but more ethereal and elven (I mean this in a good way!) without them. To me, the side swept bangs (where you're wearing the bandana) is like a bit of the best of both worlds :o Daisy fresh ethereal youth magic!

dancedance
June 9th, 2022, 08:31 AM
I prefer your look with bangs, I think they frame your face better and I actually think it allows more focus on your eyes.

In general I also struggle with the bangs or no bangs question. I cut in bangs for the first time since I was maybe 4 years old a few months back, and I LOVED them! I didn't think I'd ever go back. Now I'm not so sure. I think I will cycle between short bangs, long/curtain bangs, and grown out face-framing pieces from now on.

Hellebore
June 9th, 2022, 09:40 AM
I really like the longer, curtain-style bangs on you, but you're so pretty you could probably do whatever you wanted and look good.

Unrelated, I love all of your piercings!

Deborah
June 9th, 2022, 10:58 AM
I think you look MUCH better with no bangs. You have a lovely forehead and bangs interfere with the overall look and shape of your face.:flower:

confettiwizard
June 9th, 2022, 11:27 AM
I really like the longer, curtain-style bangs on you, but you're so pretty you could probably do whatever you wanted and look good.

Unrelated, I love all of your piercings!

Thank you so much! Hahahah, I just realized these pics also showcase all of my piercings over the years

lapushka
June 9th, 2022, 12:27 PM
About the 2nd set of pictures. Definitely I think your face shape is much more suited towards no bangs at all. Very pretty that way! I just happen to have bad memories on short bangs! :(

stardust lady
June 9th, 2022, 12:30 PM
I have a similar face shape and have always regretted bangs. I really love bangs on people with rounder or heart-shaped faces. That being said they definitely don't look bad at all, I just strongly prefer the 1st picture with very long bangs. I'm actually growing out curtain bangs currently, those are sometimes OK but still not the best.

confettiwizard
June 9th, 2022, 01:29 PM
I have a similar face shape and have always regretted bangs. I really love bangs on people with rounder or heart-shaped faces. That being said they definitely don't look bad at all, I just strongly prefer the 1st picture with very long bangs. I'm actually growing out curtain bangs currently, those are sometimes OK but still not the best.

Noted! I've never truly understood my face shape so I think that has made it harder for me to understand what makes more sense to frame my face. I've always thought my face was rather round, but it seems like the consensus is that my face is just long?

confettiwizard
June 9th, 2022, 01:31 PM
I keep bangs and probably always will, and think they are cute on anyone else who rocks them, yourself included! The grown out ones even look nice on you. Totally biased over here!

My reason for keeping bangs: i have soft features and a roundish face and lots of wrinkles on my forehead to hide. my hair is thick, so I keep thick bangs to take away from the bulk. it keeps my hair out of my eyes so I can see when wearing my hair down, makes updos look better on me & It keeps me from messing with the length. My friends tell me when I let them grow over my brows they look best, but they flip out and require styling and poke my eyes sometimes, so I keep them short, grow them to the brows, and cut them again. Here are mine in the longer phase, I have a lot of layers and face framing as well.

https://i.imgur.com/bOjDD4Q.jpg

That being said, you have sharper features and thinner hair and look beautiful without bangs even though I am a biased bangs supporter!

I love the layers around your face! I think you're right in that the bangs really compliment "rounder" features! The way you flip the ends of the bangs gives your face a sharpness that would be harder with no bangs I think

stardust lady
June 9th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Noted! I've never truly understood my face shape so I think that has made it harder for me to understand what makes more sense to frame my face. I've always thought my face was rather round, but it seems like the consensus is that my face is just long?

Kind of silly, but I used an app once to try on hair colors, and there was an AI feature that detected your face shape. It said "strong diamond" and oval for me. Oval seems to describe it best. Certainly not round. I wouldn't say your face is "long" though, since that makes it seem like its out of proportion, which it isn't.

MusicalSpoons
June 9th, 2022, 04:34 PM
You're so pretty! Of the photos with bangs, I think the style that suits you best is the sideswept / growing out one, but I think you look even better with none.

PeonyBlue
June 9th, 2022, 05:46 PM
I’m attempting to grow out my bangs/fringe as well, so I appreciate your dilemma.

Looking at your various pics, I’d have classified you as having a fairly classic oval face, and as such I reckon you could pull off any bang option. The question I’d ask is what sort of look are you aiming for? The baby bangs give you an edgy/alternate or even retro vibe which is really eye catching. The long bangs, especially where you’ve styled it with the scarf gives you a lovely, soft boho look. No bangs at all, especially when pulled back, really emphasises you features, and you can probably change your look a lot easier in the way you style your hair without bangs. So I guess m question is, what look do you want?

As far as personal preference - I love the longer bang/boho scarf look. My second pref is the baby bangs (‘cause I can’t pull off baby bangs and I’m jealous of anyone who can!)

ETA - here’s a few of my fringe/bangs pics more recently. I don’t have many good pics without yet, and I’m still not sure how I feel about the lack of forehead covering on myself. I think I’ve got an awkward oblong face, and I’m suspecting I prefer bangs for myself, but I’ll see.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52134000782_84ce3e0e1f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nqUo7s)Fringe iterations (https://flic.kr/p/2nqUo7s) by Yesterday- Today (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191184884@N02/), on Flickr

lapushka
June 10th, 2022, 06:05 AM
PeonyBlue, that last picture, 2nd row on the right, is *so* pretty.

I think also, bangs, it's all in how you style them, but the short ones? I... myself am not the biggest fan. Might be different, for me, if the bangs were longer.

Corvana
June 10th, 2022, 11:16 PM
I think we are talking about two different looks. You look good with both, but with bangs it gives some rockabilly/rock/vintage vibes and more elvish/ethereal vibes without bangs. So I guess it has to do with the aesthetic you like more.

This is how I feel as well!

I've had bangs before, and really loved them I went with a thicker curtain bang at the time, but would occasionally trim them quite short just to see if I liked them that way (I didn't :laugh:). Then I had a pixie cut, and grew that out to now. I'm missing bangs, as I liked how I looked with a little something in my face besides just my glasses, and especially now that I wear buns all the time! I feel like pulling all of my hair back makes my face look rounder and not in a good way. And even if it doesn't, I don't enjoy to the look so I'm going to try that wispy Korean air bangs look! Since it will be such a small amount of hair, if I don't like them, it's not like I cut a huge chunk that I'll want to immediately grow out.

Bat
June 11th, 2022, 01:22 AM

I prefer with bangs but maybe not so short, though longer bangs suit you too

Bat
June 11th, 2022, 01:28 AM
I’m attempting to grow out my bangs/fringe as well, so I appreciate your dilemma.

Looking at your various pics, I’d have classified you as having a fairly classic oval face, and as such I reckon you could pull off any bang option. The question I’d ask is what sort of look are you aiming for? The baby bangs give you an edgy/alternate or even retro vibe which is really eye catching. The long bangs, especially where you’ve styled it with the scarf gives you a lovely, soft boho look. No bangs at all, especially when pulled back, really emphasises you features, and you can probably change your look a lot easier in the way you style your hair without bangs. So I guess m question is, what look do you want?

As far as personal preference - I love the longer bang/boho scarf look. My second pref is the baby bangs (‘cause I can’t pull off baby bangs and I’m jealous of anyone who can!)

ETA - here’s a few of my fringe/bangs pics more recently. I don’t have many good pics without yet, and I’m still not sure how I feel about the lack of forehead covering on myself. I think I’ve got an awkward oblong face, and I’m suspecting I prefer bangs for myself, but I’ll see.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52134000782_84ce3e0e1f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2nqUo7s)Fringe iterations (https://flic.kr/p/2nqUo7s) by Yesterday- Today (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191184884@N02/), on Flickr

I like you with bangs especially in that top right photo with your hair in a bun

Ada-banana
June 11th, 2022, 03:01 AM
I love them, I like your baby bangs. I have curly hair so no way that I could have these bangs like you do (I tried last year, now longer bangs, suits me better).

Do what makes you happy and what you feel is best.

Dark40
June 11th, 2022, 10:32 AM

I'd say I prefer to have bangs. But I really think that the hair style on the left photo your bangs are cut entirely too short. I always like bangs as low as eye brow length. Or, a little above my eye brows. That's just my opinion.

ReadingRenee
June 11th, 2022, 11:36 AM
I will be the voice of dissent here and say I really like the short bang look on you! Not everyone can pull that off, but I think it looks very natural on you. I tend to think I look better with short bangs myself, or no bangs at all. I have been growing my bangs out for 2 years now. But, as others have said, it's all about the look you are going for. The short bangs are definitely edgier. I think you look great no matter what though.

Micayla47
June 12th, 2022, 09:09 AM
I think the long bangs are the most flattering. I also think no bangs looks great on you. I like short bangs as well, but if you’re going to go with that retro/punk look, I’d say go all out and cut them back farther/thicker.

MadelineMomo
June 12th, 2022, 04:55 PM
I think bangs with short hair look fine. But with long hair, the contrast in length is just so jarring, I think it looks silly. It's kinda like a mullet. If the "long" part of the mullet is still relatively short, it can work. But if the long part is halfway down your back, or more? Then the contrast is just comical.

baanoo
June 12th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Ah, confettiwizard, such a delightful kettle of fish we have here! I think the answer boils down to: you look stunning in all your variations and whatever road you choose will be the right one. :o

illicitlizard
June 13th, 2022, 06:24 AM
Ah, confettiwizard, such a delightful kettle of fish we have here! I think the answer boils down to: you look stunning in all your variations and whatever road you choose will be the right one. :o

Yes basically this, the range of responses truly indicates that depending on your desired look, any of the options can be the right choice. None of them look objectively bad in my opinion. Not super helpful in answering your question is it :p

But, my two cents is I like the longer bangs on you, the tiny bangs aren't my preference but you do rock them. I prefer bangs to no bangs personally, I think it helps add softness to the face with updos :o

PeonyBlue
June 15th, 2022, 05:15 PM
PeonyBlue, that last picture, 2nd row on the right, is *so* pretty.

I think also, bangs, it's all in how you style them, but the short ones? I... myself am not the biggest fan. Might be different, for me, if the bangs were longer.

I like you with bangs especially in that top right photo with your hair in a bun

Thanks you both…they’re my two favourite too. I’m starting to think for me, I’m okay with no fringe when my hair is down, but when it’s up I want something covering my forehead. And since I wear it up 95% of the time, I’m pretty sure I’m going to be cutting them back in before too long.

Ah well, always worth experimenting!