PDA

View Full Version : Aithne's God Eye Bun...or not?

-Aithne-
May 30th, 2022, 02:54 PM
I debated whether I should post this or not…but I figured, “Why not? It’s not like it’s going to hurt.” It won’t hurt, right? I think I may have stumbled on a new bun style (if it's not, I'm sorry! I couldn't find it anywhere else). It’s not in the Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554&page=2&p=3513567#post3513567) (I checked, but I might have missed something). It uses two hair sticks…I thought it up this morning in bed (so it might be a remnant of a dream. I searched the Hairstyle Thesurus and I didn't find it during a quick search of the internet so I got all excited). It's based on God's Eye Decorations (https://persialou.com/gods-eye-camp-craft-tutorial/) (It's not my site, by the way. It was just the first tutorial that had a good explanation. I liked making these when I was little XD). Here is how you do…

Aithne’s God's Eye

Make a ponytail (you don’t have to secure it with a ponytail holder. It stays in fine without one, but keeping the sticks in is a bit hard for the first two turns, but if I can do it, anyone can…).
Stick the two hairsticks in the ponytail at right angles with each other. They should look like this: +
Take the tail and wrap over and under the stick near your right ear. The pony tail should want to go up now. We’re going counterclockwise, here. If this is confusing, click on the "God's Eye" link above and it would be "Step 2."
Take the tail and wrap it over and under the top stick, then over and under the left stick and finally over and under the bottom stick.
The tail wants to go up, but bring it down and under the bottom stick and wrap it around like the tail end of a Cinnamon bun (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46463).
You’re done! It should look like a woven pinwheel from the back. It stays in pretty well, but the tail came unravelled out of the first one and I wanted to practice something else so I took out the second one after about four hours..

…sorry I don’t have a picture. I haven’t figured out whether I am posting pictures on the web or not…

Let me know what you think (Constructive criticism is welcome, but please don't be too brutal. I'm pretty sensitive. Oh, and I wanted to post this in the"Projects" forum, but there were only polls and questions and it didn't seem to fit so I put it here. I'm sorry if it's the wrong forum...)!

Kathie
May 30th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Sounds like I would need a fair amount of length to get this to hold.

-Aithne-
May 30th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Sounds like I would need a fair amount of length to get this to hold.
Hello! Thank you for the reply :)

Hmm, I didn’t really think about length..but it also seems like most people have longer hair than me here at LHC. Mine is 53” (and I counted the wispiest of wispies at the end to get that) so I think at 50”, it would work for you if you were interested in trying it (I hope you do and tell me what you think!)?

Kerrtu-Kevät
May 30th, 2022, 07:25 PM

Hmm, I didn’t really think about length..but it also seems like most people have longer hair than me here at LHC. Mine is 53” (and I counted the wispiest of wispies at the end to get that) so I think at 50”, it would work for you if you were interested in trying it (I hope you do and tell me what you think!)?

My hair is barely 30.5" right now I'd love to have 53"!! :thud:

Entangled
May 30th, 2022, 08:00 PM
This is such a fun idea. I immediately tried it out, fuzzy braids and all!

(Sorry for the massive pics—I’m on mobile and it’s a pain in the rear to resize images)

https://i.imgur.com/CUNsiEi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BkKuHtt.jpg
I’d love to try it with two braids, rope braids, or unbraided hair. I need longer sticks for it, and I’d want to make it higher on my head because the vertical stick is stabbing my neck right now. I may also add a pin or two to keep the end in and to keep it from bobbling around. My taper is such that the bun tilts to the left because of how thick the base braid is to start out with, so I might play around with this in the future. Thanks for sharing!

-Aithne-
May 30th, 2022, 09:08 PM
My hair is barely 30.5" right now I'd love to have 53"!! :thud:
Thank you for your reply!
I hope your hair goals happen faster than it feels like it will :) Good luck on your hair journey!

This is such a fun idea. I immediately tried it out, fuzzy braids and all!

(Sorry for the massive pics—I’m on mobile and it’s a pain in the rear to resize images)

https://i.imgur.com/CUNsiEi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BkKuHtt.jpg
I’d love to try it with two braids, rope braids, or unbraided hair. I need longer sticks for it, and I’d want to make it higher on my head because the vertical stick is stabbing my neck right now. I may also add a pin or two to keep the end in and to keep it from bobbling around. My taper is such that the bun tilts to the left because of how thick the base braid is to start out with, so I might play around with this in the future. Thanks for sharing!

*starry eyes* Thank you!!! It looks SO PRETTY AND FANCY!! I love the way you made it with braids and your hair went around twice! Your hair is so gorgeous! I only could do 1-1/2 around and it looked better only once around than with the half…

Thank you for your opinions, too! I wanted longer sticks so I tried unsharpened pencils but they kept slipping (I’m not good at hair styling). I tried 3 sticks, but it was too hard for me to manage that way and I gave up. I agree about the height. I did do it high because otherwise buns hurt my head. My hair is thin so I didn’t have much problem with the taper…but multiple braids sound like a good idea to even things out and to get more of the pattern to show. Thank you for the ideas! I will try some tomorrow♪

Kathie
May 31st, 2022, 02:44 AM

I'll keep growing and try it out when I get closer to 50 inches. Thanks for the idea!

lapushka
May 31st, 2022, 05:26 AM
Can anyone talk to me in classifiers, whereas length goes? Like classic? Knee? Which length do you need? And thickness also matters, for sure.

Entangled, what's your current length? And did you struggle, at all?

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 05:52 AM
Can anyone talk to me in classifiers, whereas length goes? Like classic? Knee? Which length do you need? And thickness also matters, for sure.

Entangled, what's your current length? And did you struggle, at all?

I had no length problems, though having a grippy stick helped because the sticks slipped a few times and it took a couple tries to get the hang of it. My hair’s somewhere around knee length; I usually double- or triple- wrap my L-finity buns, and my hair starts tapering at about BSL. I have thicker ii hair; I bet someone with thicker hair or shorter hair could do a modified version if they split their hair into two parts.

It is definitely a length eater, though! Kinda like the crochet braid.

ETA: this sounds like a GREAT paired hair sword bun.

lapushka
May 31st, 2022, 06:02 AM
I had no length problems, though having a grippy stick helped because the sticks slipped a few times and it took a couple tries to get the hang of it. My hair’s somewhere around knee length; I usually double- or triple- wrap my L-finity buns, and my hair starts tapering at about BSL. I have thicker ii hair; I bet someone with thicker hair or shorter hair could do a modified version if they split their hair into two parts.

It is definitely a length eater, though! Kinda like the crochet braid.

ETA: this sounds like a GREAT paired hair sword bun.

Ah great, that gives me an idea!

It looks very nice. OP, great find! Amazed it looks so good. It is perfect with 2 sticks, IMO. Forms like a cross, almost? Very nice!

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 06:14 AM
Okay, here’s the unbraided version! I split my hair into two sections this time, and the second time I stopped wrapping around the sticks a little early so I could wrap it more securely around the base. I pinned the ends in with Amish pins.

https://i.imgur.com/WKhlRno.jpg

(And I just thought this picture was atmospheric)
https://i.imgur.com/dwm4uU6.jpg

Now I want to try wrapping the hair around the base a few times before starting the stick wraps to see what happens…my hair is still thick enough at the base that it can unbalance the bun a little because it tapers put before I’ve gone full circle.

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 06:43 AM
Okay, I wanted to try something different. It turns out I have zero hair elastics in the house, so securing the base involved a ribbon initially and the ribbon fell out. Fortunately my hair’s pretty grippy. Instead of sticking sticks in a ponytail and wrapping a few times around the base, I decided to make a half-cinnabun to start out and then wrap the remainder of my hair God’s-eye style around the stick. This time there were a few more twists in the hair as I wrapped it.

https://i.imgur.com/DZryZcB.jpg

The initial result was wonky
https://i.imgur.com/1YwpCma.jpg

So I added a pin or two and voila!

https://i.imgur.com/5QeNwLM.jpg

It looks super intricate to me but feels really simple to do, and takes less time than braiding! Also, while my non-pony tail version feels a little unstable in the base (I’d expect it to sag a lot), the actual hair feels really stable wrapped around the sticks. Also, it comes out really easily! Just pull out the sticks and the pinned tail, and it’s down!

Someone with slippery hair would probably have a harder time at this than me, as my hair is pretty grippy and I used Mapleburl sticks, which are also pretty grippy. Longer sticks than you normally use are a must (my 5+” Mamacats were not up to the task)

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 11:26 AM
So I think I “messed up” a bit in the cinnabun version in terms of the direction I wrapped…I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to wrap over and around each time, but I wrapped over and around sometimes and under and around other times—still pleased with the result, but you can see what I mean here:

https://i.imgur.com/cJqztmj.jpg

Gwendolynn
May 31st, 2022, 12:44 PM
It sounds so lovely!!

Perhaps wearing the sticks more like an 'X' instead of a '+' would help the stick not sticking in the neck? I know I sometimes struggle with sticks turning and poking the back of my neck so wearing a stick straight down is not really for me.

Gwendolynn
May 31st, 2022, 12:45 PM
Oh, so many people who have tried it already!! It looks really good! I am looking forward to my hair being long enough so that I can try this myself. Perhaps I could try it with half of my hair!

-Aithne-
May 31st, 2022, 05:10 PM
I'll keep growing and try it out when I get closer to 50 inches. Thanks for the idea!
I'm sorry! I misread your profile-y box and thought your hair was 50 inches... but the way Entangled divided the hair into two means that you can make one circle around with half the hair, I think? I tried it this morning with my hair divided into two and it make it so I could go around twice as many times as I could with just a single ponytail :)

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think about that kind of thing. Thank you for bringing it up :) ...I think Entangled answered already but mine is knee length and it's normal thickness (for my whole life I thought my hair was thin and this morning I measured it and found out I'm normal! Yay!)...but if you read above, I think it will work with half the length with Entangled's advice about divide the ponytail into two ponytails...and do the first pony and then cinnabun end it...and then start the second pony where the first left off...

OP, great find!
Thank you *happy* !

Okay, here’s the unbraided version! I split my hair into two sections this time, and the second time I stopped wrapping around the sticks a little early so I could wrap it more securely around the base. I pinned the ends in with Amish pins.

Now I want to try wrapping the hair around the base a few times before starting the stick wraps to see what happens…my hair is still thick enough at the base that it can unbalance the bun a little because it tapers put before I’ve gone full circle.
Wow! It looks really good with two! You are really good at taking pictures of your hair and you are AMAZING with hair styles. That is what I wanted mine to look like (expectations), but reality was...
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47173&d=1654036502

I tried dividing my pony into two like you suggested when I tried it today (and did that...twisty two strand braid? Is that the right name) and it was a LOT easier to handle. I also went and found a ponytail holder, which helped a lot, too! It did keep falling off the ends of the sticks, though (probably user error. I have a lot to learn!). I love my hairsticks, though *big smile* I am a total wispy queen...

I love the cinnabun-eye! It looks like swirls are coming out of the bun :) That's so cool! I have to try it that way, too (then maybe I wouldn't have to do a ponytail. I feel the less stuff in my hair, the better...) Thank you for the pictures and for giving my bun a chance! It looks so beautiful on you!

Oh, so many people who have tried it already!! It looks really good! I am looking forward to my hair being long enough so that I can try this myself. Perhaps I could try it with half of my hair!
Please do :) *happy* I'm so lucky that Entangled made it look so nice :)

Edit: Fixed typos.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2022, 05:32 PM
I think the best way to do this is take a small section of the ponytail, wrap it around three points, then on the fourth point, pick up another little section of the hair and keep wrapping. Repeat and repeat. Here’s my first try.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8068/0ZkcAg.jpg

Kathie
May 31st, 2022, 05:36 PM
I think the best way to do this is take a small section of the ponytail, wrap it around three points, then on the fourth point, pick up another little section of the hair and keep wrapping. Repeat and repeat. Here’s my first try.

Wow! That's awesome. It looks amazing with so many wraps.

Wildcat Diva
May 31st, 2022, 06:31 PM
Thanks. I have been looking at this, more…. I think maybe that with my taper…. Picking up another strand of hair and adding it to the wrap on the second (say 12 O’clock) and fourth points (6 O’clock) might yield a more uniform square. On this angle of my photo … it’s hard to see, but that last lap around between points 9 pm and 6 pm (of the counter clockwise clock, if you will) was consistently the end of my taper, and that made that part of the square less bulky than the other three sides.

(To be clear, because I am using very small sections, I’m probably going around at least four times, here).

Shug
May 31st, 2022, 06:39 PM
It didn’t work for me :cry: I think I need longer sticks, my hair was completely engulfing them when I was trying to wrap and the loops kept slipping off.

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 07:04 PM

First of all, that looks FABULOUS! Second, that technique sounds really useful for maintaining the woven look characteristic of the idea.

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 07:13 PM
3943785 (tel:3943785)[/URL]]It didn’t work for me :cry: I think I need longer sticks, my hair was completely engulfing them when I was trying to wrap and the loops kept slipping off.
I also ran into that problem, even with longer sticks. Don’t feel too bad about it! I had to size up from my preferred length of stick for center-held buns to even have a chance (I normally aim for 5.5 to 6 inches, but the sticks I used ranged from 6.5-7.5 inches)

3943777 (tel:3943777)[/URL]]I'm sorry! I misread your profile-y box and thought your hair was 50 inches... but the way Entangled divided the hair into two means that you can make one circle around with half the hair, I think? I tried it this morning with my hair divided into two and it make it so I could go around twice as many times as I could with just a single ponytail :)

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think about that kind of thing. Thank you for bringing it up :) ...I think Entangled answered already but mine is knee length and it's normal thickness (for my whole life I thought my hair was thin and this morning I measured it and found out I'm normal! Yay!)...but if you read above, I think it will work with half the length with Entangled's advice about divide the ponytail into two ponytails...and do the first pony and then cinnabun end it...and then start the second pony where the first left off...

Thank you *happy* !

Wow! It looks really good with two! You are really good at taking pictures of your hair and you are AMAZING with hair styles. That is what I wanted mine to look like (expectations), but reality was...
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47173&d=1654036502

I tried dividing my pony into two like you suggested when I tried it today (and did that...twisty two strand braid? Is that the right name) and it was a LOT easier to handle. I also went and found a ponytail holder, which helped a lot, too! It did keep falling off the ends of the sticks, though (probably user error. I have a lot to learn!). I love my hairsticks, though *big smile* I am a total wispy queen...

I love the cinnabun-eye! It looks like swirls are coming out of the bun :) That's so cool! I have to try it that way, too (then maybe I wouldn't have to do a ponytail. I feel the less stuff in my hair, the better...) Thank you for the pictures and for giving my bun a chance! It looks so beautiful on you!

Please do :) *happy* I'm so lucky that Entangled made it look so nice :)

Edit: Fixed typos.

thank you! And I LOVE the way it looks in your hair with the rope braid! Very neat and shiny. And so even, too! (Also it’s probably a lot easier to take pictures of light colored hair because cameras sometimes have trouble distinguishing dark colors as well as our eyes do, so don’t feel too bad!)

3943748 (tel:3943748)[/URL]]It sounds so lovely!!

Perhaps wearing the sticks more like an 'X' instead of a '+' would help the stick not sticking in the neck? I know I sometimes struggle with sticks turning and poking the back of my neck so wearing a stick straight down is not really for me.
That was true for me! Also, I found that with the cinnabun version at least, the bun sort of rotated to form an X naturally, which solved the poking problem and also made it look more balanced to me (since my sticks have a clear tip and topper)

Kat
May 31st, 2022, 07:29 PM
Oh, I need to try this...

So the hair wraps completely around each stick, right? It doesn't just weave over and under?

Entangled
May 31st, 2022, 08:50 PM
Oh, I need to try this...

So the hair wraps completely around each stick, right? It doesn't just weave over and under?

Yep! Wrap over and around each stick (it’s really easy to accidentally alternate, wrap over and around and then under and around)

Alexandrina
June 1st, 2022, 01:43 AM

Hey this looks very nice and intricate

lapushka
June 1st, 2022, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I like it a lot! :) I haven't tried yet, myself. I just am rarely pushed out of my comfort zone with new buns. ;)

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2022, 01:36 PM
Thank you all. I think knitting needles could be thin enough and long enough to work for making this style.

shelomit
June 2nd, 2022, 10:42 AM
Yeah, the only proper paired stick I have are a bit too short--may try again with chopsticks ( ;

-Aithne-
June 2nd, 2022, 02:12 PM
Oh my gosh! This looks AMAZING! Wow! I *love* the intersections! They are so neat and tidy (like origami spirals when done right). They look so cool and fancy! I love your light saber hairsticks, too (wonders if they light up, too?) :) So the way you did it means it can be done with even shorter hair, doesn't it? Cool! Everyone at LHC is so good with hairstyles! I would have never thought to divide it into two much less even more strands...so this is like a fishtail version. So clever! It must have taken a lot of time...thank you for posting! I'm so inspired now!

It didn’t work for me :cry: I think I need longer sticks, my hair was completely engulfing them when I was trying to wrap and the loops kept slipping off.
*sympathy* Mine kept falling off the sticks the first time I tried it, too. I wonder where people get longer sticks? The ones on Etsy seem to go up to 6-1/2"...pencils are longer, but they were too slippery for me. Thank you, though :)

And I LOVE the way it looks in your hair with the rope braid! Very neat and shiny. And so even, too! (Also it’s probably a lot easier to take pictures of light colored hair because cameras sometimes have trouble distinguishing dark colors as well as our eyes do, so don’t feel too bad!)

Thank you for the shiny hair compliment :) and the neat compliment (I try so hard to be neat, but it usually winds up messy). All I usually get is:
Them:"Your hair is so long."
Me: "Uh, thanks?"

Yeah, I like it a lot! :) I haven't tried yet, myself. I just am rarely pushed out of my comfort zone with new buns. ;)
Thank you :) Everyone's sure made it look amazing, huh? I had no idea it could look so pretty. I mean I thought it was pretty good when I first tried it, but everyone else's is so amazing!

Yeah, the only proper paired stick I have are a bit too short--may try again with chopsticks ( ;
Oh! Good idea! I saw some cooking chopsticks for woks on Amazon. I bet they're long...but they're all plain bamboo...

Wildcat Diva
June 2nd, 2022, 06:37 PM
Oh my gosh! This looks AMAZING! Wow! I *love* the intersections! They are so neat and tidy (like origami spirals when done right). They look so cool and fancy! I love your light saber hairsticks, too (wonders if they light up, too?) :) So the way you did it means it can be done with even shorter hair, doesn't it? Cool! Everyone at LHC is so good with hairstyles! I would have never thought to divide it into two much less even more strands...so this is like a fishtail version. So clever! It must have taken a lot of time...thank you for posting! I'm so inspired now!

*sympathy* Mine kept falling off the sticks the first time I tried it, too. I wonder where people get longer sticks? The ones on Etsy seem to go up to 6-1/2"...pencils are longer, but they were too slippery for me. Thank you, though :)

Thank you for the shiny hair compliment :) and the neat compliment (I try so hard to be neat, but it usually winds up messy). All I usually get is:
Them:"Your hair is so long."
Me: "Uh, thanks?"

Thank you :) Everyone's sure made it look amazing, huh? I had no idea it could look so pretty. I mean I thought it was pretty good when I first tried it, but everyone else's is so amazing!

Oh! Good idea! I saw some cooking chopsticks for woks on Amazon. I bet they're long...but they're all plain bamboo...

Thanks so much! Yes, the way I did this was like a fishtail version in a way, you are smart to think of it that way! I have been doing creative buns for the better part of ten years, so I have tried all sorts of crazy things.

It didn’t take very long, I tried it and took a photo and made the post in less than 30 minutes.

The light sabres are not light up ones, sadly.

I think knitting needles would be a cheap option. For me, the elastic to start the bun is absolutely necessary.

For chopsticks, sometimes you have to get creative with your search. Like these.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8623/yhTG3P.png

-Aithne-
June 3rd, 2022, 10:58 AM
It didn’t take very long, I tried it and took a photo and made the post in less than 30 minutes.
The light sabres are not light up ones, sadly.

I think knitting needles would be a cheap option. For me, the elastic to start the bun is absolutely necessary.

For chopsticks, sometimes you have to get creative with your search.

Thank you for answering my questions :)
Wow! Less than 30 minutes? I think it probably took me longer just to post! I haven't tried your fishtail version (is busy of late <-just read "The BFG" so we talk wierd around here now), but I'd really like to this weekend :)

Knitting needles sound like a good idea (and then maybe I could finally learn to knit...bonus! ...but they might be slippery like pencils, if I remember my Mom's knitting needles correctly)

I love those swords! They look so cool! I added it to my cart :) I had no idea anything like that existed! Thank you!

Kat
June 4th, 2022, 08:29 AM
Thank you for answering my questions :)
Wow! Less than 30 minutes? I think it probably took me longer just to post! I haven't tried your fishtail version (is busy of late <-just read "The BFG" so we talk wierd around here now), but I'd really like to this weekend :)

Knitting needles sound like a good idea (and then maybe I could finally learn to knit...bonus! ...but they might be slippery like pencils, if I remember my Mom's knitting needles correctly)

I love those swords! They look so cool! I added it to my cart :) I had no idea anything like that existed! Thank you!

I use DPNs as hairsticks almost exclusively, and they're honestly not that slippery to me... you could try bamboo needles, though (just, obviously, they wouldn't be able to be really thin ones).

-Aithne-
June 4th, 2022, 04:25 PM
I use DPNs as hairsticks almost exclusively, and they're honestly not that slippery to me... you could try bamboo needles, though (just, obviously, they wouldn't be able to be really thin ones).
I had to look up DPN *blush* Double Pointed Needles (at first it came up Doctor of Nurse Practice, Google thought I spelled it wrong)...they look neat! I'll add them to my amazon cart since you said they aren't slippery. They look really neat...and I always thought the colors of the metal knitting needles were pretty. Thank you for the tip :)

Kat
June 4th, 2022, 05:39 PM
I had to look up DPN *blush* Double Pointed Needles (at first it came up Doctor of Nurse Practice, Google thought I spelled it wrong)...they look neat! I'll add them to my amazon cart since you said they aren't slippery. They look really neat...and I always thought the colors of the metal knitting needles were pretty. Thank you for the tip :)

Haha!

I mean, YMMV on the slipperiness; someone with really slippery hair may not agree with me. But I'm guessing my hair is about "average" for slippiness, and they hold fine for me...

Wildcat Diva
June 21st, 2022, 09:58 AM
I was able to get the fishtail version to work with my new chopsticks.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2755/VYrEzg.jpg

Ada-banana
June 21st, 2022, 01:09 PM
Oh my gosh! You have designed such a pretty bun, it's sooo beautiful. I just drooled over the pictures, so pretty and satisfying. I hope one day I will have the length to try it.

Entangled
June 21st, 2022, 04:02 PM
Oh I love it! What did you do differently? The sticks are lovely.

Wildcat Diva
June 21st, 2022, 07:20 PM
Oh I love it! What did you do differently? The sticks are lovely.

Thanks! I did it pretty much the same as the other.
Ponytail with elastic. Insert sticks behind ponytail elastic. Pony tail hair bulk is positioned down, directly to the left of the 6:00 stick end. Then I took a pencil width sized strand of hair and wrapped that counter clockwise over the the elastic once, to cover it. Then I take that same strand, go under the ponytail bulk and grab to add to it, a little section of ponytail hair, then wind the combined strands around counter clockwise to go up and over the 3:00 stick end. Wrap that, and go straight up to the 12:00 stick end. Wrap that and go to the 9:00 stick end, wrap that and as you are coming to the 6:00 stick, combine your strand with a pencil sized section of hair (which you separate off from the ponytail bulk on the left side) before you wrap over that 6:00 end stick. Wrap that and as you do that, notice that you have trapped the rest of your ponytail bulk down under your first completed 360 degrees of wrapping.

Then take your strand to come up to wrap the 3:00 stick end, but first section out and grab another little section of ponytail bulk from underneath on that side to combine along with your strand. Wrap the 3:00 end stick and go up to the 12:00 stick end wrap that and go down to the 9:00 stick end. Wrap over and go down to the 6:00 stick end, but grab from the ponytail bulk on that side, another small section of hair to combine with your strand. Wrap that 6:00 stick end and go up to the 3:00 stick end, but, again, first grab a little section of hair from the ponytail bulk on that side to combine with the ongoing strand. before you wrap that 3:00 stick end.

Keep going in this fashion until you run out of hair and wind the last length under the bun and around the stem of the pony tail base to finish. I didn’t need to secure the end but someone else might.

Hope that makes sense.

Long_hair_bear
June 23rd, 2022, 10:28 AM
Maybe someone should do a Youtube tutorial of this for us visual learners.... I'm not sure if I have the length for this or not. I'm at waist length.

-Aithne-
June 26th, 2022, 01:06 PM
I was able to get the fishtail version to work with my new chopsticks.
Wow! That's gorgeous! The blue and red of your new sticks look lovely with your hair. The sun-kissed parts makes the pattern show up better and it looks really pretty :) My hair used to get lighter at the ends, but it doesn't seem to be anymore now that I look at it *confused* but hair can't get darker on it's own...? I hope I have time next week to try your way :)

Haha!
I mean, YMMV on the slipperiness; someone with really slippery hair may not agree with me. But I'm guessing my hair is about "average" for slippiness, and they hold fine for me...
I did get some DPNs. They're stripe-y rainbow woods and came in a set of 5. They're really smooth and seem to work for hair. Thank you again for the tip :) I really like these (and the price!)

Wildcat Diva
June 30th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the compliments and feedback!

I just came here to say that these stainless chopsticks would work, seem nice, and the price is nice if you do Amazon Prime.
Metal Chopsticks Reusable 5 Pairs, Stainless Steel Chopsticks Japanese Style Premium Laser Engraved Patterns, Dishwasher Safe Easy Clean Chop Sticks, Square Non-Slip Gift Set, 9.3 Inch Silver https://a.co/d/hIx6pmY