PDA

View Full Version : Hair suddenly acting weird

kimchi989
May 24th, 2022, 01:12 AM
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've come here. But I guess I could use some wisdom of the people on this forum.
My hair is between mid-back and waist length. I've fine hair, so I know it's going to become difficult for me to grow it longer. My goal was to hide my back tattoo with my hair, which is now possible. My goal now is to grow it as long as my genetics allow.

Everything was going fine. I don't use sulfates, silicones or other chemicals, I colour my hair every once in a while with a mix of neutral henna, red henna, camomile, solidago and Rheum (officinale, R. palmatum) to get a coppery blond colour. I love this colour, and I can get away with colouring my hair every 3-4 months because, although my colour is more of an ashy blond, people don't see the difference.

Well, that changed a month ago: my hair started to feel static, it poofed up in a way it never did before (officially, I've straight hair, but I looked like I had a bad wavy hair day). I could still brush it fairly easily, by the ends felt dry...
I had an appointment with my hairdresser (who is a lover of natural products). His first reaction was to ask me if I did any chemical treatment to my hair (which I didn't). He ended up cutting 5 cm, which you couldn't tell because my hair had become so thin the ends were nearly invisible. I also, according to him, lost 1/4 to 1/2 of my hair volume in barely a month since I saw him.

I wanted to cry. I've spent years taking care of my hair, and it was all falling apart (literally).

I didn't change anything in my routine. The only "changes" are: my OBGYN put me on the pill (even though I asked for a copper IUD), telling me the new generation of pills doesn't have as many side effects. Impressionable as I'm, I believed him... Apparently, a big mistake...
I also go really sick in January (the doctors don't know if it was covid or pneumonia), which could explain why my hair is acting up weird.

My hair isn't the only one affected by a sudden change: my skin got suddenly as dry as the desert (but I've some acne at the same time), and my nails are more brittle than usual. I had some blood analysed, and I don't have any deficiency in vitamins or minerals. I see my GP in a week, who will most certainly tell me to see a dermatologist. The problem is: I already tried to find a dermatologist... The closest appointment I found is 10 months from now...

Has anyone had to deal with that? How did you manage it?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day

lapushka
May 24th, 2022, 03:38 AM
My first "guess" is to sulfate wash aka clarify wash. Sulfates are not the devil, not even for fine hair. Not for any hair, period. You just have to know how to incorporate them into your routine. Chances are the hair has some build up on it.

At least that's one of your issues.

ETA

Ask your GP to switch you to a BC with a different progesterone, if this one has side-effects. I once was on one (a light one) and started to gain tons of weight. Within 2 weeks I was a size up in clothes without changing a thing. So my GP said: no way and he switched me to a different one (aka Mercilon, which was good for *me*, no way rec'ing this to you, it's up to you and your GP). I stopped having issues asap!

ETA2

But there's *tons* of other BC, doubt Mercilon is still one they rec at this time! It's gotten so old. This was decades ago for me. Your GP has the ultimate call, and there's so many out there.

SeppV
May 24th, 2022, 03:46 AM
I know that some hormone pills can cause hair thinning because of the hormone imbalance they cause. I don't know about the ones you got, but I just know that can be a side effect; thinning hair. Other than that I would do as Lapushka suggests: make sure your scalp and hair is actually clean. People can experience hair thinning from not cleaning their scalp properly, as dirt and debris accumulates and blocks the scalp. For me, that means using undiluted, sulfate shampoo for every wash. That's just what my scalp needs. No need to give my lenghts that treatment every time I wash though. Just a suggestion. I once had dry, dry ends and extremely greasy roots - turns out I had plenty of build up after coloring my hair and using a lot of conditioning treatments without ever clarifying.

Lady Stardust
May 24th, 2022, 04:16 AM
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through a tough time and that it’s had an effect on your hair. The thinning could also be due to your illness earlier this year.

Doing an occasional sulphate wash to clarify can help. I use sulphate free shampoo because that’s what I need for my scalp, the only sulphate I seem to get on with these days are the more expensive versions with lots of conditioning agents. I use a different sulphate free shampoo to clarify (Giovanni 50:50) and that’s all I need, because I don’t use products that build up particularly anyway.

I wondered if you have been away to somewhere with hard water? Just a thought, it can leave your hair feeling coated and dry. If you live in a hard water area, or if your hair has been washed with hard water, it’s worth trying a chelating shampoo to remove the minerals. They are often labelled as swimmers shampoo.

As for hormones, it’s your body, your choice. I don’t know why some GPs don’t want to listen. Your skin and nails are also showing they’re affected, so either change the type of pill, as lapushka suggested, or ask for the copper IUD you wanted in the first place. It will probably take a while to settle down, but at least you will have made a positive change.

In the meantime, pamper yourself! Maybe try some deep conditioning treatments, which could just be your usual conditioner under a heat cap, or doing a SMT. Adding an oil rinse might help your hair to feel better, if you don’t do that already.

I hope things start to improve for you soon.

kimchi989
May 24th, 2022, 04:25 AM
My first "guess" is to sulfate wash aka clarify wash. Sulfates are not the devil, not even for fine hair. Not for any hair, period. You just have to know how to incorporate them into your routine. Chances are the hair has some build up on it.

At least that's one of your issues.

ETA

Ask your GP to switch you to a BC with a different progesterone, if this one has side-effects. I once was on one (a light one) and started to gain tons of weight. Within 2 weeks I was a size up in clothes without changing a thing. So my GP said: no way and he switched me to a different one (aka Mercilon, which was good for *me*, no way rec'ing this to you, it's up to you and your GP). I stopped having issues asap!

ETA2

But there's *tons* of other BC, doubt Mercilon is still one they rec at this time! It's gotten so old. This was decades ago for me. Your GP has the ultimate call, and there's so many out there.

I don't use any product on my hair apart from oil once every two weeks. Sulfates on me are a no go. When I was using sulfates, my hair became even thinner, which was the reason for me to turn to natural products. Before I could even do no poo, nowadays, impossible.
The only thing I'll do is switch OBGYN. I was against having to be under a hormone-based BC. It's an oestrogene on, supposedly better because the hormone used is closer to the natural women produce. When I phoned my OBGYN and explained what was happening, he just told me we'd have to find another oestrogen-based BC, because progesterone can make my hair loss worse.
The day he put me on the pill, I fought against it, because I didn't want a hormonal birth control, but he refuses and scold me, telling me I shouldn't see the pill as the devil, many women take it and are fine. Submissive as I'm I said yes and took it. I wanted to have an IUD put in, he refused without giving me a reason (I've had an IUD before and it was fine, no heavy periods, no pain,... I almost forgot about it)

I know that some hormone pills can cause hair thinning because of the hormone imbalance they cause. I don't know about the ones you got, but I just know that can be a side effect; thinning hair. Other than that I would do as Lapushka suggests: make sure your scalp and hair is actually clean. People can experience hair thinning from not cleaning their scalp properly, as dirt and debris accumulates and blocks the scalp. For me, that means using undiluted, sulfate shampoo for every wash. That's just what my scalp needs. No need to give my lenghts that treatment every time I wash though. Just a suggestion. I once had dry, dry ends and extremely greasy roots - turns out I had plenty of build up after coloring my hair and using a lot of conditioning treatments without ever clarifying.
I've read the pamphlet of my pill, it can cause hair thinning and hair loss, which was why I wasn't opened at first to a hormone-based BC. But, I submitted after being scolded by the doctor, telling me I was basing my views on the old version of the pill...
I used sulfate shampoo before, and my hair never liked it, which is why I made the switch to no sulfate. I don't use any styling product at all. My hair routine is: shampoo on the scalp (or length if I've monoï in my hair), conditioner without silicones on the length. It's not only the lengths that are dry, my scalp is dry too, just like the rest of my skin suddenly

kimchi989
May 24th, 2022, 04:36 AM
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been going through a tough time and that it’s had an effect on your hair. The thinning could also be due to your illness earlier this year.

Doing an occasional sulphate wash to clarify can help. I use sulphate free shampoo because that’s what I need for my scalp, the only sulphate I seem to get on with these days are the more expensive versions with lots of conditioning agents. I use a different sulphate free shampoo to clarify (Giovanni 50:50) and that’s all I need, because I don’t use products that build up particularly anyway.

I wondered if you have been away to somewhere with hard water? Just a thought, it can leave your hair feeling coated and dry. If you live in a hard water area, or if your hair has been washed with hard water, it’s worth trying a chelating shampoo to remove the minerals. They are often labelled as swimmers shampoo.

As for hormones, it’s your body, your choice. I don’t know why some GPs don’t want to listen. Your skin and nails are also showing they’re affected, so either change the type of pill, as lapushka suggested, or ask for the copper IUD you wanted in the first place. It will probably take a while to settle down, but at least you will have made a positive change.

In the meantime, pamper yourself! Maybe try some deep conditioning treatments, which could just be your usual conditioner under a heat cap, or doing a SMT. Adding an oil rinse might help your hair to feel better, if you don’t do that already.

I hope things start to improve for you soon.

I've not moved. Not been on holiday since 2019. Maybe the hardness of the water changed where I live...
The worst part is I already had a copper IUD before during 8 years before that (changed it once after 5), so I don't understand why he wants me to be on the pill... (unless he has money in it, which I suspect he does. I called him today, and he still refuses to put me on anything else than a pill).

I've tried dunking my hair in monoï for a whole night. It helped a bit (+ smelled good). What is SMT?

Thank you for your response

Lady Stardust
May 24th, 2022, 04:37 AM
I wonder if it’s worth trying a more moisturising shampoo, until the birth control issue is sorted out (assuming the birth control is causing the dry hair and scalp).

I really like the Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo, it’s the main one I use. My scalp isn’t noticeably dry most of the time, because I have naturally oily hair, but I like how gentle it is on my hair. I think it would help your scalp, and it has lots of natural ingredients so you might like it.

Once your hair and skin have settled back to normal then you could switch back to the products you’re currently using.

SeppV
May 24th, 2022, 04:42 AM
I don't use any product on my hair apart from oil once every two weeks. Sulfates on me are a no go. When I was using sulfates, my hair became even thinner, which was the reason for me to turn to natural products. Before I could even do no poo, nowadays, impossible.
The only thing I'll do is switch OBGYN. I was against having to be under a hormone-based BC. It's an oestrogene on, supposedly better because the hormone used is closer to the natural women produce. When I phoned my OBGYN and explained what was happening, he just told me we'd have to find another oestrogen-based BC, because progesterone can make my hair loss worse.
The day he put me on the pill, I fought against it, because I didn't want a hormonal birth control, but he refuses and scold me, telling me I shouldn't see the pill as the devil, many women take it and are fine. Submissive as I'm I said yes and took it. I wanted to have an IUD put in, he refused without giving me a reason (I've had an IUD before and it was fine, no heavy periods, no pain,... I almost forgot about it)

I've read the pamphlet of my pill, it can cause hair thinning and hair loss, which was why I wasn't opened at first to a hormone-based BC. But, I submitted after being scolded by the doctor, telling me I was basing my views on the old version of the pill...
I used sulfate shampoo before, and my hair never liked it, which is why I made the switch to no sulfate. I don't use any styling product at all. My hair routine is: shampoo on the scalp (or length if I've monoï in my hair), conditioner without silicones on the length. It's not only the lengths that are dry, my scalp is dry too, just like the rest of my skin suddenly

Does sound more like the pills, if anything, is the culprit then...

Lady Stardust
May 24th, 2022, 04:52 AM
SMT is an abbreviation of Snowymoon’s Moisture Treatment. The theory is to add humectants to conditioner, and leave it on for a little while. The humectants attract moisture to your hair. SMTs typically contain honey and aloe vera, but people have tried different variations. For example, I don’t usually use honey, and I sometimes add a bit of oil.

Here’s the thread about it
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Joules
May 24th, 2022, 05:09 AM
Hormonal birth control can definitely wreak havoc on your hair, I definitely second the suggestion to talk to your doctor.

RedIris
May 24th, 2022, 09:12 AM
If your doctor won't take your concerns seriously or switch your BC method, time to find a new doctor as far as I'm concerned. That is unacceptable

lapushka
May 24th, 2022, 10:09 AM
If your doctor won't take your concerns seriously or switch your BC method, time to find a new doctor as far as I'm concerned. That is unacceptable

Mine immediately said, of his own accord, "that is unacceptable", and flat-out switched me. But I have a great GP! (thank God, after all I've been through)

Glitch
May 24th, 2022, 10:23 AM
The only "changes" are: my OBGYN put me on the pill (even though I asked for a copper IUD), telling me the new generation of pills doesn't have as many side effects.

I've read the pamphlet of my pill, it can cause hair thinning and hair loss, which was why I wasn't opened at first to a hormone-based BC.

Sounds pretty textbook to me. I went through hell a few years ago when I became extremely lactose-intolerant and highly sensitive to a bunch of other similar ingredients, and my doctor was with me during that whole journey. He still prescribed me birth control pills, and long story short, I found out on my own that every single birth control pill contains lactose. Found tons of Reddit subs and more full of people sharing their same experiences. I've learned a lot since then, one of the main things being that doctors really don't know a whole lot sometimes. Further, the very creators of your pill have literally stated that their product can cause hair loss and thinning. It must be a significant possibility for them to have had to include something off-putting like that.

Some other food for thought: I've seen several threads here by now talking about hair loss after Covid, so definitely look into that. Additionally, I'm like you in that I also don't use any styling products, and use sulphate-free shampoo and all that. However, eventually, even I need a nice SLS wash every once in a while. Build up happens from sebum, sweat, dust, and so on, so I wouldn't completely discount this either. A lot can and does change in our bodies over the years. This being said, I still do personally believe this is because of the pill. Especially since you said your skin and nails have changed, too. I mean I originally began taking BC for my skin to improve at the time, many do. Big factor.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

spidermom
May 24th, 2022, 07:57 PM
I definitely respect your decision but do want to add that even if you use all-natural or mild products, they have ingredients that can build up. Oil can also leave residue behind. Therefore, if all else fails to resolve your issues, you might want to re-visit the idea of doing a wash from scalp to tips with a clarifying shampoo every once in awhile. It makes a huge difference for me when I notice that my hair seems dry and dull and sticks together like Velcro.

shelomit
May 24th, 2022, 08:10 PM
My money would be on the change in birth control, for sure. "Side effect-lite" birth control--in my experience as a combo endo/PCOS sufferer who has been on just about every form that exists--is a myth. (And for what is worth, the absolute worst side effects I've ever suffered were from an IUD, but I'll assume that if that worked for you before it will work again.) Sadly, switching gynos as you've been planning to do is usually your best bet. And do your best to be assertive! It can help to bring a trusted friend along to the appointments to play "bad cop" if needed. A few years ago I wound up with a gyno who insisted on sticking to each treatment he prescribed for at least six months regardless of how bad the side effects were, which is the backstory to how I was bedbound for nearly a whole year and almost lost the ability to effing walk. Fun stuff.

Thinking about the lightweight/staticky feeling in particular, it may help to color your hair again if you haven't done so in a little while. Since you already use a henna-based coloring treatment, the thickening/conditioning effect could give you a little reprieve from the flyaways without changing up your routine or throwing anything at your hair that it hasn't handled before.

lapushka
May 25th, 2022, 12:58 PM
I definitely respect your decision but do want to add that even if you use all-natural or mild products, they have ingredients that can build up. Oil can also leave residue behind. Therefore, if all else fails to resolve your issues, you might want to re-visit the idea of doing a wash from scalp to tips with a clarifying shampoo every once in awhile. It makes a huge difference for me when I notice that my hair seems dry and dull and sticks together like Velcro.

I no longer wanted to reply, at first, because it seemed OP had already made up her mind on the subject, but I have to say: right on, spidermom. Build up is a strange beast. Might want to trust us all on that one? ;)

MusicalSpoons
May 25th, 2022, 03:12 PM
I no longer wanted to reply, at first, because it seemed OP had already made up her mind on the subject, but I have to say: right on, spidermom. Build up is a strange beast. Might want to trust us all on that one? ;)

Agreed. I use only oil and conditioner on my lengths (about every 2 weeks as well actually) and very occasionally have to clarify. Only maybe once or twice a year, but it does make a difference. And I don't even use particularly 'natural' products which often have lots of oils and butters in to build up (including shampoo, especially if it's not clear!).

That said, kimchi989, depending on exactly what shampoo/conditioner/oil you use it might be that there exists a suitable sulphate-free shampoo that would do the clarifying job. If you let us know, we can check out the ingredients of what you're using and see what detergents would work if there is buildup.

Also occasional sulphate use is very different from regular use - I completely understand your reluctance but often our hair can tolerate things it has hated if used much less frequently. (That's exactly how my scalp rolls, actually :lol:)

Obviously the main huge change sounds like the birth control, but clarifying is a fairly simple thing to try that might help a bit while the BC is an issue that will take longer to recover from. If buildup is a contributing factor then you really don't want to be fighting with that on top of the bigger issue.

lapushka
May 25th, 2022, 03:26 PM
Agreed. I use only oil and conditioner on my lengths (about every 2 weeks as well actually) and very occasionally have to clarify. Only maybe once or twice a year, but it does make a difference. And I don't even use particularly 'natural' products which often have lots of oils and butters in to build up (including shampoo, especially if it's not clear!).

That said, kimchi989, depending on exactly what shampoo/conditioner/oil you use it might be that there exists a suitable sulphate-free shampoo that would do the clarifying job. If you let us know, we can check out the ingredients of what you're using and see what detergents would work if there is buildup.

Also occasional sulphate use is very different from regular use - I completely understand your reluctance but often our hair can tolerate things it has hated if used much less frequently. (That's exactly how my scalp rolls, actually :lol:)

Obviously the main huge change sounds like the birth control, but clarifying is a fairly simple thing to try that might help a bit while the BC is an issue that will take longer to recover from. If buildup is a contributing factor then you really don't want to be fighting with that on top of the bigger issue.

Times a hundred! So true!

Wendyp
May 26th, 2022, 05:53 AM
Definitely get blood work to test your hormones. They need to be perfectly in balance, estrogen, testosterone and progesterone or everything goes to the crapper.

kimchi989
May 29th, 2022, 01:55 AM
Hello everyone!
Sorry for late replies, but I got pretty busy at work :(

Does sound more like the pills, if anything, is the culprit then...
I've an appointment with another OBGYN at the end of June. Hope stopping the pill won't bring more side effects...

SMT is an abbreviation of Snowymoon’s Moisture Treatment. The theory is to add humectants to conditioner, and leave it on for a little while. The humectants attract moisture to your hair. SMTs typically contain honey and aloe vera, but people have tried different variations. For example, I don’t usually use honey, and I sometimes add a bit of oil.

Here’s the thread about it
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128
Thanks, I'll check it out.
I found a way to make my hair not so hay-like. I had already tried oiling my hair, but it didn't do anything. That's why I focused so much on hydrating instead of nourishing. I slept with monoï in my hair till Monday, then I washed my hair and oh great, it's better. Not perfect, but I can now run my fingers through it, and it feels soft again. Don't understand why it didn't work the first time...

He didn't take it seriously. When you read the sheet that the doctor is supposed to follow to make sure I'm a good candidate for HBC, you can tell I'm not: I've a history of cervical cancer, breast cancer and strokes in my family...
After the scandal of the pills where many women died of strokes, a survivor asked an OGBYN why the pill was so broadly prescribed, while it represent a health risk. Answer: you can read a notice, if you don't want to take the risks written on it, don't take the pill. The woman asked why they were not warned verbally anyway, and what were the alternatives. Answer: because you can read a notice, and you can either shut your legs or put a condom on.
It's sad to see that, when you don't want children, doctors are willing to put you at risk. But if the pill for men has similar side effects, it's not put on the market because we can't risk people health...
I find it very hard to talk to a OBGYN about getting information about vasectomy. I know it's not their field, but they could at least give the name of a doctor who can help. My now ex-doctor had a hard time giving me a name, repeating he was going to help me find a pill that doesn't make me sick...

Mine immediately said, of his own accord, "that is unacceptable", and flat-out switched me. But I have a great GP! (thank God, after all I've been through)
I dream of finding a good doctor. But apparently, I'm a magnet for a-holes haha.

Sounds pretty textbook to me. I went through hell a few years ago when I became extremely lactose-intolerant and highly sensitive to a bunch of other similar ingredients, and my doctor was with me during that whole journey. He still prescribed me birth control pills, and long story short, I found out on my own that every single birth control pill contains lactose. Found tons of Reddit subs and more full of people sharing their same experiences. I've learned a lot since then, one of the main things being that doctors really don't know a whole lot sometimes. Further, the very creators of your pill have literally stated that their product can cause hair loss and thinning. It must be a significant possibility for them to have had to include something off-putting like that.

Some other food for thought: I've seen several threads here by now talking about hair loss after Covid, so definitely look into that. Additionally, I'm like you in that I also don't use any styling products, and use sulphate-free shampoo and all that. However, eventually, even I need a nice SLS wash every once in a while. Build up happens from sebum, sweat, dust, and so on, so I wouldn't completely discount this either. A lot can and does change in our bodies over the years. This being said, I still do personally believe this is because of the pill. Especially since you said your skin and nails have changed, too. I mean I originally began taking BC for my skin to improve at the time, many do. Big factor.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The creators have to put any side effect, even if only one person over a thousand presents that side effect. Just like Domperidone is known for creating heart problems... Because it happened to 6 people, with already existing heart conditions. But since they were on that medication, it has to be on the notice.

I sometimes clarify, but I use the method of putting a little baking soda in my shampoo, usually did the trick (I do that before henna, to be sure my hair is squeaky clean^^)

Can putting baking soda in my shampoo be enough of a clarifying? That's what I do before I put on henna, usually did the trick.

My money would be on the change in birth control, for sure. "Side effect-lite" birth control--in my experience as a combo endo/PCOS sufferer who has been on just about every form that exists--is a myth. (And for what is worth, the absolute worst side effects I've ever suffered were from an IUD, but I'll assume that if that worked for you before it will work again.) Sadly, switching gynos as you've been planning to do is usually your best bet. And do your best to be assertive! It can help to bring a trusted friend along to the appointments to play "bad cop" if needed. A few years ago I wound up with a gyno who insisted on sticking to each treatment he prescribed for at least six months regardless of how bad the side effects were, which is the backstory to how I was bedbound for nearly a whole year and almost lost the ability to effing walk. Fun stuff.

Thinking about the lightweight/staticky feeling in particular, it may help to color your hair again if you haven't done so in a little while. Since you already use a henna-based coloring treatment, the thickening/conditioning effect could give you a little reprieve from the flyaways without changing up your routine or throwing anything at your hair that it hasn't handled before.
That's what I told my doctor, before being shut down because, according to him, my believes on side effect is based on old generations of the pill... I don't know any medication without side effect, even plants can have side effects... But yeah, I'm no doctor ;)
Ok, your doctor is worse than mine... How can you, as someone who swore to protect, can say "OK you're bed ridden, still stick to the treatment a little longer, it can get better"?

kimchi989
May 29th, 2022, 01:56 AM

Also occasional sulphate use is very different from regular use - I completely understand your reluctance but often our hair can tolerate things it has hated if used much less frequently. (That's exactly how my scalp rolls, actually )

Here is the ingredients of the shampoo:
AQUA (WATER) | COCO GLUCOSIDE | LAURYL GLUCOSIDE | SODIUM COCO-SULFATE | SAPINDUS MUKUROSSI FRUIT EXTRACT | GLYCERIN | CITRIC ACID, GLYCERYL OLEATE | HYDROLYZED RICE PROTEIN | MARIS SAL | SODIUM BENZOATE | POTASSIUM SORBATE

And here is my conditioner (only used on the lengths):
Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, dicaprylyl carbonate, bentonite, coconut alkanes, arachidyl alcohol, sodium pca, rubus idaeus fruit water*, cocos nucifera oil*, simmondsia chinensis seed oil*, coco-caprylate/caprate, sodium gluconate, phospholipids, glycine soja oil, glycine soja sterols, sodium stearoyl glutamate, hydrolyzed sweet almond protein, glycolipids, helianthus annuus seed oil, arachidyl glucoside, behenyl alcohol, glucose, xanthan gum, citric acid, quartz, tocopherol, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, dehydroacetic acid, parfum, limonene, benzyl alcohol, linalool.

I use BS in my shampoo to clarify before henna. Could it work in this situation? I haven't tried it, being afraid to make things worst.
Thanks for your reply.

Definitely get blood work to test your hormones. They need to be perfectly in balance, estrogen, testosterone and progesterone or everything goes to the crapper.
First thing I've done, everything came back normal (only thing a had a tiny too much 17 OH-progesterone, so I did a bunch of tests, but everything came back normal. My endricologist said that this tiny too much was too little to have any real effect on my health)

MusicalSpoons
May 29th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Oh, no baking soda is not good! It's far too alkaline for hair, and the only clarifying that comes from it is because it's so abrasive. That really really won't help your hair health.

Both your shampoo and conditioner contain protein, and you use henna which can act a bit like protein because it bonds to the keratin (I think that's right?). If there's too much protein for your hair then it will break off. Try the stretch test
https://www.curlyhair.com/hair-tips/how-to-give-your-curls-the-protein-stretch-test/

For clarifying without sulphates, I would think a cheap, clear sulphate-free shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine as the primary detergent might work. Clarifying means shampooing all your lengths, gently squidging in the shampoo (extra tangles can be avoided). It's best to let it sit a minute and suds up again, and maybe even shampoo twice.

RedIris
May 29th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Oh, no baking soda is not good! It's far too alkaline for hair, and the only clarifying that comes from it is because it's so abrasive. That really really won't help your hair health.

Both your shampoo and conditioner contain protein, and you use henna which can act a bit like protein because it bonds to the keratin (I think that's right?). If there's too much protein for your hair then it will break off. Try the stretch test
https://www.curlyhair.com/hair-tips/how-to-give-your-curls-the-protein-stretch-test/

For clarifying without sulphates, I would think a cheap, clear sulphate-free shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine as the primary detergent might work. Clarifying means shampooing all your lengths, gently squidging in the shampoo (extra tangles can be avoided). It's best to let it sit a minute and suds up again, and maybe even shampoo twice.

I second the thing about protein. I was using henna for a couple years, and then products with protein on top of that and my hair was a DISASTER. I had no idea why it was acting the way it was but it was literally crispy. And so so tangly. The breakage was next level. I had to cut my hip length hair to my shoulders and gradually cut out the henna. The hennaed parts never stopped being crispy and tangly, even when I figured out the protein issue and stopped using it. Your hair might also hate aloe. Mine did when it was hennaed. Along with coconut oil and literally any tiny amount of protein in products

kimchi989
May 30th, 2022, 02:10 AM

I never thought of that. This combo has worked fine for more than a year. Might also think about using henna only on my roots, then.
I also have this shampoo
Aqua, Lauryl glucoside, Glycerin, Sodium cocoyl glutamate, Sodium cocoamphoacetate, Citric acid, Sodium chloride, Sodium polyaspartate, Parfum (fragance), Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, Sodium benzoate.

and this conditioner
Aqua (water)*, Brassica Alcohol*, Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil**, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil**, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil**, Glycerin*, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine*, Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil*, Benzyl alcohol, Lactic acid*, Prunus Amygdalus Amara (Bitter Almond) kernel oil*, Hydrogenated castor oil*, Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice powder**, d-Limonene*
Might be a better combo.

I did the stretch test, I wouldn't say the strand broke immediately, but I don't think I didn't get much stretch. So too much protein, I guess.

I'll look for a clarifying shampoo.

Thanks for your advice

I second the thing about protein. I was using henna for a couple years, and then products with protein on top of that and my hair was a DISASTER. I had no idea why it was acting the way it was but it was literally crispy. And so so tangly. The breakage was next level. I had to cut my hip length hair to my shoulders and gradually cut out the henna. The hennaed parts never stopped being crispy and tangly, even when I figured out the protein issue and stopped using it. Your hair might also hate aloe. Mine did when it was hennaed. Along with coconut oil and literally any tiny amount of protein in products
My hair loves coconut oil (in the form of Monoï, and as long as I don't use it every day). For aloe, I think I'm like you: it's kind of a love hate relationship... Sometimes it's good with my hair, sometimes it dries it out (exact same bottle used each time).
I'm lucky enough, my hair isn't too tangly and too dry, but it was way dryer than before...

lapushka
May 30th, 2022, 10:09 AM
I never thought of that. This combo has worked fine for more than a year. Might also think about using henna only on my roots, then.
I also have this shampoo
Aqua, Lauryl glucoside, Glycerin, Sodium cocoyl glutamate, Sodium cocoamphoacetate, Citric acid, Sodium chloride, Sodium polyaspartate, Parfum (fragance), Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, Sodium benzoate.

and this conditioner
Aqua (water)*, Brassica Alcohol*, Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil**, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil**, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil**, Glycerin*, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine*, Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil*, Benzyl alcohol, Lactic acid*, Prunus Amygdalus Amara (Bitter Almond) kernel oil*, Hydrogenated castor oil*, Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice powder**, d-Limonene*
Might be a better combo.

I did the stretch test, I wouldn't say the strand broke immediately, but I don't think I didn't get much stretch. So too much protein, I guess.

I'll look for a clarifying shampoo.

Thanks for your advice

My hair loves coconut oil (in the form of Monoï, and as long as I don't use it every day). For aloe, I think I'm like you: it's kind of a love hate relationship... Sometimes it's good with my hair, sometimes it dries it out (exact same bottle used each time).
I'm lucky enough, my hair isn't too tangly and too dry, but it was way dryer than before...

Just saying that we have errr, more private places to talk about health stuff, might want to not have that all on the www for all to see, just sayin'. Thinking of the other boards, you know. You could ask a mod to put it somewhere else, if you want. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
May 30th, 2022, 11:08 AM
Just saying that we have errr, more private places to talk about health stuff, might want to not have that all on the www for all to see, just sayin'. Thinking of the other boards, you know. You could ask a mod to put it somewhere else, if you want. :flower:

It took me a minute to work you probably meant the detail about medication near the beginning of thread; initially my brain was wondering what on earth was so personal in the post you quoted :rollin:

kimchi989 interesting you say the products have worked for more than a year, along with the results of the stretch test it probably means the protein is not a massive problem but just is slightly too much and the effects have taken time to show. Once your hair is more moisturised again, you may be fine rotating between the ones with protein and the ones without.