PDA

View Full Version : Help! They discontinued my second shampoo. Need a clarifying Shampoo!

Darkhorse1
April 7th, 2022, 12:02 AM
Hello friends! The prodigal poster has returned to this wonderful place in the hopes of you all helping me find a new clarifying shampoo.

I was using Herbal Essence Tealightfully Clean Shampoo before the pandemic hit, and of course, they discontinued it and made a new version I cannot use due to the overwhelming scent.

I’d made the switch to Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo, which actually helped my eczema behind my ears AND made my hair grow WAY faster. And of course, J&J just discontinued that which I am livid about, because I’d contacted them back in December when the supply was unavailable and they said it was just delayed. Had they been honest, I’d have stocked up, but fast forwards to March, when I found out they had indeed discontinued it and now I’m SOL.

The new Neutrogena is disgusting—does not clean my hair and again, lousy scent.

I am looking for a shampoo that is for daily use (I work with horses and sweat a LOT that’s to perimenopause) I do get my gray colored and the Neutrogena AR shampoo was mild enough it didn’t bother it.

I cannot handle strong scents OR oils or anything with coconut products. The only oil I seem to be ok with is castor oil, which is in the Neutrogena AR shampoo.

I’m ideally looking for a daily shampoo that has little to no scent (I’m find with natural scents like lemon, but nothing over powering. Unscented would be better) and dye free ideally(clear shampoo) or with a slight green or tint is fine.

I have exhausted searches and am feeling very frustrated. I even reached out to Function of Beauty to see if they could replicate the shampoo since I have the ingredient list on the back of the bottle, but they can’t.

I have tried the following and had skin reactions to: Paul Mitchel clarifying 2, Biolage, John Freda (Brilliant Brunette—I think that’s discontinued too)

I may try A/G as that shampoo line I used in the past. I also loved the detoxify from I.C.O.N but I think they discontinued that too.

I can’t do ACV rinses due to having color treated hair nor can I use baking soda.

Thanks gang and I hope you are all doing well. Life for me has been…well, flying by.

lapushka
April 7th, 2022, 01:39 AM
I would go scent first, try looking into Vanicream (yes they do a shampoo that probably isn't half bad) and Free & clear. Or, if all else fails try Head & Shoulders, which I read they are discontinuing the ingredient zinc pyrithione in the EU soon. If they haven't already. But if my SD strikes a bit the H&S is enough. I do let it marinate for 2 minutes on the scalp before continuing my washing process. I halt mid-wash, let sit, wash more, rinse. It's very cleansing as well and not stripping, at least not to me!

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2022, 10:10 AM
By 'coconut products' does that include detergents derived from coconut? Also oils, is it literally no oils *of any kind* except castor, or more the main plant ones e.g. olive, sweet almond, etc.?

It might also be helpful for us as a starting point to see the ingredients of the shampoo(s) that agreed with you :)

Darkhorse1
April 7th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Thank you Ladies
Ideally I would like no oils as my scalp produces enough, along with getting sweaty and dirty daily. But, the current ingredients in the Neutrogena has Castor Oil, and that doesn’T seem to be an issue. Here is the rest of the ingredient list ( I am fine with sulphites and silicones)

Water (eau), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Parfum, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol.

Hope that helps. The ingredients are simple which is likely why my scalp likes it.

MusicalSpoons
April 7th, 2022, 10:46 AM
Hmm, okay. That does help somewhat (and I completely understand shorter ingredients lists being better!).

Any suggestions I give throughout this thread will be with the disclaimer of: in case you've not already seen them and ruled them out :wink:

Depending on how literal the 'no coconut' rule is, https://well.ca/products/pantene-pure-clean-clarify_203047.html
Mayyybe this https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/live-clean-apple-cider-clarifying-shampoo-354ml/6000016942750 (contains sunflower seed oil but all the other botanicals are 'extracts', parfum is almost at the end of the list so perhaps worth sniffing it in person)
Any of the Suave offerings in less offensive scents? They do a rosemary and mint one … depends what that 'parfum' is exactly.
Faith in Nature do one with an exceptionally short ingredients list but I don't know whether that brand is available in Canada.

Obsidian
April 7th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Check out suave daily clarifying, its scented but is mild and not fruity or flowery, just your classic soapy shampoo smell.

I also really like prell but its pretty harsh, will strip away everything. I only use it once in awhile.
Its stronger scented but again, is more soapy and it doesn't seem to linger

Darkhorse1
April 7th, 2022, 11:48 AM
Thank you Ladies!
I do have the Pantene Clarifying but it’s incredibly drying. I may try the live clean, but apple cider vinegar is a no -go with color treated hair to my understanding.
I have used Suave in the past, but I can’t seem to get it in Canada. I may try that again.

I’m also open to a daily shampoo, not necessarily clarifying, just something that is safe for daily use.

I had used Head and Shoulders, and sadly, my hair was really dried out from it.

So frustrating when you find a ‘holy grail’ of shampoos, and they discontinue it. :/

lapushka
April 7th, 2022, 12:58 PM
The Suave daily clarifying apparently went sulfate-free in the US.

Agate
April 7th, 2022, 01:13 PM
I'm a fan of the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo too and am eeking through my last bottle! I don't like strong fragrances either and my scalp is very senitive.
My favorite daily shampoo is Max Green Alchemy. I'm not a fan of most 'natural' shampoos but this one has been outstanding for me.

Obsidian
April 7th, 2022, 03:32 PM
The Suave daily clarifying apparently went sulfate-free in the US.

No, they just replaced the sls with Sodium C12-13 Pareth Sulfate. I honestly can't tell the difference in formula

Chromis
April 7th, 2022, 03:43 PM
Giovanni Triple Tea maybe? https://giovannicosmetics.com/product/tea-tree-triple-treat-invigorating-shampoo-salon-quality/

Kerrtu-Kevät
April 7th, 2022, 04:22 PM
No, they just replaced the sls with Sodium C12-13 Pareth Sulfate. I honestly can't tell the difference in formula

It's super hard to find information about it but from research it seems like it's the same thing as SLS just made with synthetic ingredients instead of natural :shrug: Could be wrong but like I said it's impossible to find much about it

Darkhorse1
April 7th, 2022, 04:57 PM
Agate- I’ll look into that shampoo- sounds like we have similar scalps 😊

lapushka
April 7th, 2022, 05:16 PM

Over here in Belgium that is what Palmolive Naturals has and oooh boy, I can tell the difference, my SD will tell me!

Obsidian
April 7th, 2022, 07:17 PM
It's super hard to find information about it but from research it seems like it's the same thing as SLS just made with synthetic ingredients instead of natural :shrug: Could be wrong but like I said it's impossible to find much about it

Thats all the info I could find too. Seems just as cleansing as sls so I'm fine with it.

Over here in Belgium that is what Palmolive Naturals has and oooh boy, I can tell the difference, my SD will tell me!

I wonder if there is something else in that shampoo? I tried a V05 shampoo with sls and it caused me to flare terrible. I have no idea what ingredient caused it.

lapushka
April 8th, 2022, 05:21 AM
Thats all the info I could find too. Seems just as cleansing as sls so I'm fine with it.

I wonder if there is something else in that shampoo? I tried a V05 shampoo with sls and it caused me to flare terrible. I have no idea what ingredient caused it.

Hang on... Let me see if I can find you an ingredients' list!

This is about the only one we still have:
https://www.palmolive.be/nl-be/products-range/shampoo/palmolive-naturals-fresh-and-volume-shampoo

Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, cocamidopropyl betaine, parfum, sodium salicylate, sodium benzoate, polyquaternium-7, glycol distearate, citric acid, styrene/acrylates copolymer, tetrasodium EDTA, laureth-4, methylisothiazolinone, citrus aurantium dulcis oil, citrus aurantifolia oil, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, linoleic acid, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, citrus aurantium dulcis extract, butylphenyl methylpropional, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool

Seems like it changed to SLES and CB these days. Which is about the same for most shampoos in this country. :shrug:

Dark40
April 8th, 2022, 10:07 PM
You can try Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo. I don't know if it's recommended or if it's good for everyday use. But I use it once a month. Then, throughout the rest of the month I use a really good cleansing shampoo. Like, Garnier Fructis Grow Long&Strong Shampoo. Or, Pantene Pro-V.

AshtangiPNW
April 11th, 2022, 08:27 PM
I'm a fan of the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo too and am eeking through my last bottle! I don't like strong fragrances either and my scalp is very senitive.
My favorite daily shampoo is Max Green Alchemy. I'm not a fan of most 'natural' shampoos but this one has been outstanding for me.

Giovanni Triple Tea maybe? https://giovannicosmetics.com/product/tea-tree-triple-treat-invigorating-shampoo-salon-quality/

I have tried both of these and enjoyed them both! (I actually have both of these in my shower right now.) I also have a sensitive scalp and can't seem to tolerate many fragrances in drugstore products. In my experience, the Giovanni Triple Treat is more cleansing relative to the Max Green Alchemy one and feels more clarifying. Both are tea tree shampoos, but the Max Green Alchemy one has more of a lemon-tea tree herbal natural scent, and the Giovanni Triple Treat is more peppermint-y tea tree. The Triple Treat shampoo is similar to the 50:50 Giovanni Hydrating Clarifying shampoo (citrus fragrance), but I prefer the Triple Treat since it leaves my scalp with an airy clean feeling and leaves less residue (more clarifying).

I've also tried the Vanicream Free & Clear shampoo that Lapushka mentioned. It's sulfate-free and I like that it does not contain any irritants, fragrance, etc. It's also readily available at drugstores etc. Even though it's sulfate-free, it's pretty cleansing. It has a few mild anionic detergents in there that supposedly should remove silicones.

I don't have any new suggestions, so I'm just dropping in to mention that the recommendations from Agate, Lapushka, and Chromis all seem really good. Good luck finding on that works well!! :) :)

Agate
April 12th, 2022, 03:49 PM
I have tried both of these and enjoyed them both! (I actually have both of these in my shower right now.) I also have a sensitive scalp and can't seem to tolerate many fragrances in drugstore products. In my experience, the Giovanni Triple Treat is more cleansing relative to the Max Green Alchemy one and feels more clarifying. Both are tea tree shampoos, but the Max Green Alchemy one has more of a lemon-tea tree herbal natural scent, and the Giovanni Triple Treat is more peppermint-y tea tree. The Triple Treat shampoo is similar to the 50:50 Giovanni Hydrating Clarifying shampoo (citrus fragrance), but I prefer the Triple Treat since it leaves my scalp with an airy clean feeling and leaves less residue (more clarifying).

I've also tried the Vanicream Free & Clear shampoo that Lapushka mentioned. It's sulfate-free and I like that it does not contain any irritants, fragrance, etc. It's also readily available at drugstores etc. Even though it's sulfate-free, it's pretty cleansing. It has a few mild anionic detergents in there that supposedly should remove silicones.

I don't have any new suggestions, so I'm just dropping in to mention that the recommendations from Agate, Lapushka, and Chromis all seem really good. Good luck finding on that works well!! :) :)

This is very helpful to me too! My favorite thing about Max Green Alchemy is that it's allowed me to extend my wash time longer than any other shampoo I've tried before my scalp starts feeling itchy (longer than the Neutrogena too), but I agree that it is not especially clarifying. I don't have a problem with sulfates, but most of the sulfate shampoos have fragrances that are just too intense for me (still looking...). I definitely want to try the Giovanni now as I'm always on the lookout for mild-scented products that are good for sensitive scalps. Thanks AshtaniPNW!

AshtangiPNW
April 14th, 2022, 11:20 AM
This is very helpful to me too! My favorite thing about Max Green Alchemy is that it's allowed me to extend my wash time longer than any other shampoo I've tried before my scalp starts feeling itchy (longer than the Neutrogena too), but I agree that it is not especially clarifying. I don't have a problem with sulfates, but most of the sulfate shampoos have fragrances that are just too intense for me (still looking...). I definitely want to try the Giovanni now as I'm always on the lookout for mild-scented products that are good for sensitive scalps. Thanks AshtaniPNW!

Hi Agate! I’m glad it is helpful for you. :heart: For my scalp (that tends to be sensitive to the stronger detergents), the Triple Treat seems to be too clarifying for continual use, but it’s a really great clarifier. I personally cannot use sulfates due to a sensitivity to them. If your scalp is more tolerant than mine, you might be able to use it more regularly. My partner uses the MGA one on a daily basis. As far as being able to stretch washes, I’ve had the best luck so far with a Calia shampoo that is coco-glucoside based and does not have glycerin. That one is also very good for sensitive scalp (no fragrance etc.) and very cleansing since it just contains one detergent (not a mixture). It is not a clarifying shampoo, though, like the other ones mentioned. I'm also always on the lookout for the mild scented products. :)

namarieyyy
April 19th, 2022, 10:27 PM
If you're still on the hunt for any more suggestions that you might not have heard of, I really loved using Human Heart Nature shampoo (https://humanheartnature.com/us/index.php/hair/natural-moisturizing-shampoo-variants.html) :) they also have a branch in Canada. Like you, I'm sensitive to strong fragrances, but I've found the vanilla scent isn't very strong and fades down quickly (there are some coconut-derived ingredients here, BUT i didn't smell the coconut at all):

Ingredients: aqua, sodium cocoyl isethionate, decyl glucoside, sodium lactate, sodium gluconate, Persea gratissima (avocado) oil, olus (vegetable) oil, Cocos nucifera (coconut) nectar, dicaprylyl ether, guar gum, levulinic acid, xanthan gum, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, fragrance (natural), phytic acid (rice derived), citric acid, anisic acid

I also found they released a new "strengthening" shampoo (https://humanheartnature.com/us/index.php/hair/natural-strengthening-shampoo.html) that I haven't tried myself:

Ingredients: aqua, sodium cocoyl isethionate, decyl glucoside, sodium lactate, sodium gluconate, guar gum, Cocos nucifera nectar, dicaprylyl ether, Persea americana (avocado) oil, levulinic acid, natural fragrance, hydrolyzed wheat protein, sodium phytate (rice derived), anisic acid, citric acid

stuff that you're looking for/avoiding:
:heart: short ingredient list
:heart: no strong fragrance
:mad: the moisturizing shampoo has 2 oils, the strengthening shampoo has only 1 oil. darn!

I thought i'd recommend it anyway. Of course, I can't say if they'll give YOU a reaction because my own allergies are different. ;) fwiw i never experienced any bad reactions, hence my recommendation. I personally prefer shampoo bars these days, since I feel like they have the capacity of a 1L bottle while being only the size of my palm, so I'm currently using Karma Komba from Lush that has a really strong patchouli scent. It's much more harsh than the HHN shampoos above lol

renia22
March 10th, 2023, 08:43 PM
Darkhorse1- I’m really late in discovering Neutrogena discontinued this shampoo, and I’m in shock. Uggh.

But just curious if you ever found a shampoo to replace it?

You said a couple of pages back you’re not crazy about Paul Mitchell, but I’ve been alternating Paul Mitchell’s 2 & 3 with good results.

Other ones that work for me are Prell, Herbal Essences Smooth or Shine collections (the pink & yellow “retro” ones), and Cabellina Aloe, which I have to find online. They all do have dyes, though.

If you have Sally’s in Canada, they do have a clarifying shampoo in a light blue bottle (their Ion brand), that is a regular, plain sulfate formula, and it isn’t bad.

Finesse volumizing can still be found and I’m down to my last bottle, but I haven’t checked to see if it’s been changed or discontinued.

I abhor the new Suave Daily Clarifying, it’s not the same on my hair at all. :(

Ylva
March 11th, 2023, 06:35 AM
Hang on... Let me see if I can find you an ingredients' list!

This is about the only one we still have:
https://www.palmolive.be/nl-be/products-range/shampoo/palmolive-naturals-fresh-and-volume-shampoo

Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium chloride, cocamidopropyl betaine, parfum, sodium salicylate, sodium benzoate, polyquaternium-7, glycol distearate, citric acid, styrene/acrylates copolymer, tetrasodium EDTA, laureth-4, methylisothiazolinone, citrus aurantium dulcis oil, citrus aurantifolia oil, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, linoleic acid, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, citrus aurantium dulcis extract, butylphenyl methylpropional, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool

Seems like it changed to SLES and CB these days. Which is about the same for most shampoos in this country. :shrug:

I, for one, could not use that shampoo because of glycol distearate. It’s what makes it opaque rather than clear. I found that my scalp does fine even with sulfate-free shampoos (to a point) as long as they are CLEAR.

lapushka
March 11th, 2023, 10:55 AM
I, for one, could not use that shampoo because of glycol distearate. It’s what makes it opaque rather than clear. I found that my scalp does fine even with sulfate-free shampoos (to a point) as long as they are CLEAR.

That's a pretty big thing to find out, Ylva! Priceless, I bet. :) The volume shampoo by Pantene, I believe, is clear too, but you'll have to check because things might be so so sooo different in other countries!

renia22
March 11th, 2023, 12:55 PM
That's a pretty big thing to find out, Ylva! Priceless, I bet. :) The volume shampoo by Pantene, I believe, is clear too, but you'll have to check because things might be so so sooo different in other countries!

In the Pantene thread over in the Conventional products forum, that Pantene volume one has come up in discussion a few times (the US one), in that even though that one is clear, and looked like it might be similar to the discontinued Aqua Light or Ice Shine, it’s really not the same, and leaves some kind of weird coating on the hair. I can’t recall at the moment which ingredient people were saying is responsible for this. Not sure if it’s the same formula over in Belgium.

I personally haven’t had much luck with clear= being okay. When Suave and Tresemme made the switch over to Sodium C12-13 Pareth Sulfate, I noticed right away something was wrong with them (for me). They make my hair kind of dirty still, yet a bit matted, simultaneously (Suave Daily Clarifying, Tresemme Clarifying). They used to be affordable options, but I won’t buy those anymore. The ones that now use sodium C12-14 Olefin Sulfinate and the like seem to do pretty scary things to my hair too (super dry and matted, don’t rinse out properly).

For those in the same boat as me, a couple more I think could also be alternatives to the discontinued Neutrogena are Biolage Clarifying and Kenra Clarifying, but they are a little pricier.

lapushka
March 11th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Yeah, sodium C12-14 is a bust for me too. It's in Palmolive Naturals in my country.