PDA

View Full Version : APL buns for slippery hair- where to start?

toastertroodle
March 17th, 2022, 01:34 PM
It’s been about 3 years or so since I last was on here, I’ve been growing out from a pixie and now I’m somewhere in between APL and MBL :) I want to wear more protective styles but can’t remember anything from when my hair was this length before! I have a two pronged wooden hair fork for now that I’d like to use. My hair is somewhat fine, pin straight and almost all one length save for the last couple inches of my hair- does anyone have suggestions for buns I might be able to wear at this length?

Cg
March 17th, 2022, 02:11 PM
At that length I used a French braid tuck quite often (with lots of pins, though you might be able to fork through). Any other updo I had to resort to elastics, pins, and snoods. Most people I think would not trouble with all that.

lapushka
March 17th, 2022, 03:23 PM
If it's tight and won't stay in, chances are your hair is not yet long enough. I am 4.25 inches in ponytail circumference (it matters for bunning) and had to wait until hip length to comfortably bun my hair.

Until you "get there", try peacock twists (with a claw clip) & log rolls, yes also with a claw clip.

Sticks usually are for longer lengths if you are an average thickness. APL for sure is *waaay* too short!

MoonLady
March 17th, 2022, 11:32 PM
The only bun I was able to wear at this length that would stay was a disc bun. Even a cinnamon bun would slip right out. And it needed to be a fork, sometimes two to hold it. I have layered here erring on the lower end of density since that definitely matters

Iyashikei
March 18th, 2022, 06:39 AM
My hair is slightly shorter than APL but cinnamon buns tend to work for me if I do everything exactly right. I also have fine, slippery hair and with some luck it stays in place the entire day. I do say with some luck because more often than not it does skip out.

Kyamo
March 18th, 2022, 10:04 AM
If it's slipping out with a fork, try hairpins. I find hairpins much more secure than forks or sticks, especially when you have only barely enough length for it to work.

GordonMurphella
March 19th, 2022, 04:49 AM
Spin pins, baby claw clips ... both worked for me at that length. I have a lot of hair but it's bunny-fine so I needed a grippy something or other at APL. Spin pins in particular, once you get the hang of them, are spectacular.

illicitlizard
March 19th, 2022, 05:45 AM
I could do a cinnabun at that length and nothing else - I would spend a long time twisting the hair and smoothing it around itself to make it secure, then pin with endless bobby pins/spin pins.

Kathie
March 19th, 2022, 08:42 PM
As other have mentioned claw clips are great around this length- one or a few can hold all sorts of twist and buns/wraps.

I'm just above APL and can currently manage a loosely twisted cinnabun or peacock twist. I alternate between claw clips and U-shaped pins or a thin fork.