PDA

View Full Version : Preventing crunchy ends?

zhivago
March 8th, 2022, 05:16 AM
Does anyone have good tips for what they do to prevent crunchy ends? I find that the hair near the front of my face gets very brittle at the ends compared to the hair at the back.

Bri-Chan
March 8th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Du you use any leave in?

Lady Stardust
March 8th, 2022, 06:00 AM
My hair was the same at the front, near my face. It grows more slowly than the back too. I cut out the worst of it with face framing bits and I’m really babying it as I grow it back out.

I use babassu oil before I wash my hair, because it penetrates the hair and protects a little during the wash. The sections that were brittle before (growing from the temples) are now supple and starting to form spirals. I also use a leave in conditioner and either oil or aloe vera gel, depending on the weather.

I cover my hair when I’m outside, most of the time. I use a satin scarf and try to tuck those ends in, because they’re prone to getting blown about in the wind otherwise.

One side was worse than the other, and it’s the side I sleep on (mostly, I’m a restless sleeper!). A satin sleep cap is also helping, I think.

It’s a work in progress for me, I only started regrowing those bits recently.

clairenewcastle
March 8th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Leaving coconut oil in my hair used to give me crunchy ends. I know coconut oil does wonders for some people's hair but it has never worked for mine.

cinamio
March 8th, 2022, 06:50 PM
A few days after washing my hair, my ends get crunchy. Usually applying oil every day fixes the issue. If I'm wearing my hair in braids, sometimes re-wetting my hair helps as well.

Mariekeeee14
March 9th, 2022, 04:35 AM
I second the oiling tip. I oil it every day, and when the weather is dry, twice a day. It keeps my ends smooth. And if you find the sweet spot and don't overdo it, you'll not look greasy.

Catrina22
March 9th, 2022, 08:31 AM
Yes to oiling! I think coconut oil is better as a pre-poo for most people since in is a penetrating oil. It could possibly make hair feel crunchy if used in the wrong way. A little grapeseed oil or another coating oil on top of hair that has been sprayed with a bit of water might help! Or just putting a little conditioner over slightly damp ends?

Pouncequick
March 9th, 2022, 09:28 AM
For preventing crunchy ends I try to clarify my whole length once every month or every other month and I use a leave in oil when my ends get a little dry feeling. I also S&D if a segment of my hair I can see well is crunchy. Sometimes the crunchy feeling is more of a "damaged" feeling for me. I would say that build up is the most common cause for me though so I always clarify first if I notice new crunchiness.

Jane99
March 9th, 2022, 06:57 PM
I’ve been noticing ROO is helping my ends stay pretty nice between washes. I notice on the days I skip it. I use mineral oil for this step

Glitch
March 9th, 2022, 09:18 PM
I second the oiling tip. I oil it every day, and when the weather is dry, twice a day. It keeps my ends smooth. And if you find the sweet spot and don't overdo it, you'll not look greasy.

This is such a great idea! Not sure why it never crossed my mind, especially when the winters are beyond deadly where I live. Will try this out :D I love oiling my hair after showers but never experimented further.

tekla
March 10th, 2022, 01:58 AM
Coconut oil may cause protein build-up on the surface of hair strands and thus result in crunchiness. I enjoy using hemi-squalane on my ends, it softens and smoothens but is lightweight. It also prevents damage if that's causing the crunchiness.

I also have a problem with the front pieces. The hair is much more fragile in the front and is damaged easily. Oiling and using silicone serum help to some extent by protecting the surface and "lubricating" the hair (thus less knots and tangles) but still they get damaged more in comparison to hair on the sides or in the back.

Aunt Rapunzel
March 10th, 2022, 08:19 AM
Leaving coconut oil in my hair used to give me crunchy ends. I know coconut oil does wonders for some people's hair but it has never worked for mine.

Same for me. My hair doesn't like coconut oil at all. Oddly enough, my hair DOES do well with coconut cream. I have no idea why. Aloe is a great leave-in for my hair, and also Loreal's Elvive No Haircut Cream.