PDA

View Full Version : Show me your curls!

dragoose01
February 25th, 2022, 10:51 PM
I am so excited to finally be able to see albums and such! I'd love to see some members with long curly hair for inspiration/motivation. Feel free to post any pics here or to recommend an album maybe? If that's possible? :)

lapushka
February 27th, 2022, 04:47 AM
I am so excited to finally be able to see albums and such! I'd love to see some members with long curly hair for inspiration/motivation. Feel free to post any pics here or to recommend an album maybe? If that's possible? :)

What does your hair look like? What texture do you have? :)

Coffee90
March 2nd, 2022, 12:57 PM
Curly-ish:

https://ibb.co/47QH4HK

dragoose01
March 2nd, 2022, 09:23 PM
What does your hair look like? What texture do you have? :)

I think my hair is 2c/3a. I added a couple of photos of how it can look with no product (the frizzy-looking ones) and one from a good wash/styling day.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tsnkYzF

dragoose01
March 2nd, 2022, 09:24 PM
Curly-ish:

https://ibb.co/47QH4HK

You have beautiful hair!!

Silverhalo
March 3rd, 2022, 12:00 AM
Yes, I agree that you hair is beautiful, dragoose01! May I ask how you care for it on washday?
I have returned to these forums today after last being on in the early 2010s. I have been trying the Curly Girl Method for two years and one month now. I can’t go out in public with my stringy hair if I follow it exactly and I came here hoping to discuss methods and products to help me find something that works. I am on the verge of cutting it to shoulder length and adding layers.

My hair is about 6 inches past shoulder length in the back, collar bone length in the front. Firmly in the 2a, 2b, 2c category. Silver/white in the front and salt and pepper in the back. Never been dyed or permed. I almost must brush it out to have it look okay, which gives me waves with some spirals. I don’t think it causes real damage as my hair is silky and will stay knot-free if brushed once a day or less. Rewetting it slightly on non-washdays will bring back much of the wavy curls and spirals.

The last two washes, I have had a double helix sausage spirals in the right front and another near my ear. Last week, I had an appointment. I did my CGM squish-to-condish and put in curl cream and light gel after shower and shampoo. I used my smooth hair towel to squeeze out some water, then diffused it dry. I got rained on a little going from the house to my car and then got quite damp going into my appointment. I let it be while inside for an hour and it got well misted going back to the car. I was in the car for an hour as it dried untouched, then it got damp again going to and from another stop. So, it got repeated light re-wetting with no running my fingers through it. When I got home, I had spiral curls the whole length in several places!

It is good to be back. I will have to look in at the silvers thread I used to haunt, too. First, I will search for wavy ideas. I seem to have lost all my standing in the years I have been gone, so it looks like I cannot post pictures yet.

edit- now that I posted, I see that I did not loose my posting count. Mt avatar is from 2011. Numbers are wrong in my hair stats under the picture. Will fix.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2022, 01:53 AM
I think my hair is 2c/3a. I added a couple of photos of how it can look with no product (the frizzy-looking ones) and one from a good wash/styling day.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tsnkYzF

Soo pretty. That is not in the 2s anymore, the 2s have left the building. :lol: ;) :p

dragoose01
March 3rd, 2022, 12:38 PM
Yes, I agree that you hair is beautiful, dragoose01! May I ask how you care for it on washday?
I have returned to these forums today after last being on in the early 2010s. I have been trying the Curly Girl Method for two years and one month now. I can’t go out in public with my stringy hair if I follow it exactly and I came here hoping to discuss methods and products to help me find something that works. I am on the verge of cutting it to shoulder length and adding layers.

My hair is about 6 inches past shoulder length in the back, collar bone length in the front. Firmly in the 2a, 2b, 2c category. Silver/white in the front and salt and pepper in the back. Never been dyed or permed. I almost must brush it out to have it look okay, which gives me waves with some spirals. I don’t think it causes real damage as my hair is silky and will stay knot-free if brushed once a day or less. Rewetting it slightly on non-washdays will bring back much of the wavy curls and spirals.

The last two washes, I have had a double helix sausage spirals in the right front and another near my ear. Last week, I had an appointment. I did my CGM squish-to-condish and put in curl cream and light gel after shower and shampoo. I used my smooth hair towel to squeeze out some water, then diffused it dry. I got rained on a little going from the house to my car and then got quite damp going into my appointment. I let it be while inside for an hour and it got well misted going back to the car. I was in the car for an hour as it dried untouched, then it got damp again going to and from another stop. So, it got repeated light re-wetting with no running my fingers through it. When I got home, I had spiral curls the whole length in several places!

It is good to be back. I will have to look in at the silvers thread I used to haunt, too. First, I will search for wavy ideas. I seem to have lost all my standing in the years I have been gone, so it looks like I cannot post pictures yet.

edit- now that I posted, I see that I did not loose my posting count. Mt avatar is from 2011. Numbers are wrong in my hair stats under the picture. Will fix.

Hi! I am also still learning to care for my curls but I hope I can be helpful. I am using head and shoulders right now for shampoo/conditioner but I am going to try out the brand The Innate Life soon.
I usually shampoo twice and apply the product just to my scalp. Condition the lengths and ends only. I comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb while the conditioner is in it. When I get the products I ordered from The Innate Life, I may try the WCC method lapushka recommends.

When it comes to styling, I have found that using a wet brush with boar bristles has helped me a lot with getting defined, frizz-free clumps. I am still working on my technique with using the brush to style, however.

I use Miss Jessie's Leave-In Condish and Multicultural Curls for styling. I don't have a lot of hair, and it has taken me what feels like forever to find products that don't weigh it down, and these have really done so much for me!

Silverhalo
March 4th, 2022, 12:15 AM
Hi! I am also still learning to care for my curls but I hope I can be helpful. I am using head and shoulders right now for shampoo/conditioner but I am going to try out the brand The Innate Life soon.
I usually shampoo twice and apply the product just to my scalp. Condition the lengths and ends only. I comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb while the conditioner is in it. When I get the products I ordered from The Innate Life, I may try the WCC method lapushka recommends.

When it comes to styling, I have found that using a wet brush with boar bristles has helped me a lot with getting defined, frizz-free clumps. I am still working on my technique with using the brush to style, however.

I use Miss Jessie's Leave-In Condish and Multicultural Curls for styling. I don't have a lot of hair, and it has taken me what feels like forever to find products that don't weigh it down, and these have really done so much for me!

Dragoose01, thanks for all the info. Your use of the boar brush is really doing the trick. The middle of your three pictures is my “if I could choose how this turns out” photo. Beautiful. You say you don’t have much hair, but the curls hide this well. Two years ago I lost a third to half of my hair. I have short hairs of all different lengths now, so I am hoping to get some volume back. Getting old stinks!

Yesterday I did go without gel and instead of stringy waves, most were fluffy and more natural looking. I lost some overnight with my hair in a pineapple under a silk cap, but most survived to at least wavy stage. I did brush out lightly in the morning to neaten it up, but it still formed into strands that each tried to curve or twirl. I ended the day today hopeful and not wanting to chop it short and see if I got better curls. Success!

I am still working on my avatar, so it is different from yesterday and will change again. Just a heads up, not trying to confuse people.

lapushka
March 5th, 2022, 03:33 AM

If you have a finicky scalp, don't change out your shampoo for something sulfate-free. I learned... the hard way (is there any other way for me, honestly LOL). You can try, and it may be OK, but just... I don't want you to repeat my mistakes. At the first signs of flakes, go back to what worked. Don't muddle through it.

WCC is actually "especially" designed for those of us needing to use a drier shampoo (harsher sulfate) and are stuck with drier lengths due to it, hence why the double conditioning. And there are those who naturally have drier lengths versus their scalps, it's good for those folks too!

dragoose01
March 14th, 2022, 03:37 PM
If you have a finicky scalp, don't change out your shampoo for something sulfate-free. I learned... the hard way (is there any other way for me, honestly LOL). You can try, and it may be OK, but just... I don't want you to repeat my mistakes. At the first signs of flakes, go back to what worked. Don't muddle through it.

WCC is actually "especially" designed for those of us needing to use a drier shampoo (harsher sulfate) and are stuck with drier lengths due to it, hence why the double conditioning. And there are those who naturally have drier lengths versus their scalps, it's good for those folks too!

Hi! If you don't mind me asking, what conditioners/products do you use? On the WCC thread, I noticed you said you use 2 different conditioners.