PDA

View Full Version : Incredible WHITE hair

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I just had to post this. I met a 91 yr old lady with the absolute most gorgeous WHITE hair I have ever seen. It was pure snow white and thick and bouncy looking. Hers was short, so I can't call this a long hair sighting. But oh my, what a beautiful look.

I told her her hair was so lovely that it made my want to reach out and touch it. She said "go ahead". Well, I must say, it was as soft as it was white. Not coarse or dry like they say grey hair gets.

I'm posting this as encouragement for all the grey/white hairs out there and those who are trying to decide if they want to color/keep coloring. It's really stunning to see white-haired beauty. :)

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Some people are genetically blessed when it comes to their hair. Both my mom and my maternal grandmother's hair whitened beautifully and did not thin too much, although my mom's hairline has receded. She is 87.

I am not ready to go there yet in terms of colour. But I can apprciate white hair on others.

Sammybunny711
November 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I adore white hair. My uncle is a lot older than my mom and he has such GORGEOUS white hair. My mom's is going gray/white but she keeps coloring it...I keep telling her how pretty it is but she is in her late forties and "not old enough to go gray" as she says, lol.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Some people are genetically blessed when it comes to their hair. Both my mom and my maternal grandmother's hair whitened beautifully and did not thin too much, although my mom's hairline has receded. She is 87.

Yes, I really hope that my hair will have this wonderful white color when it turns. It's hard to tell so far b/c I have very few grey hairs. I did ask this lady if she did anything with it and she said no, it was her natural color. She did say that she used to color it for years when she was working, but then 20+ years ago she stopped and let it go natural. A good choice on her. Wow.

I wonder how many more beautiful shades of grey and white we would see if hair coloring were less popular?

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I desperately want white curls. xD I really, really do.

If I started going white right now, I'd grow them out and be haaaaappy.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I desperately want white curls. xD I really, really do.

If I started going white right now, I'd grow them out and be haaaaappy.

Well, you have a few years to go. :D But meanwhile, your dark curls are gorgeous. Trust me. Surely you must have quite a few young admirers.

But a head of *white* curls like yours? Wow, that truly would be glorious.:)

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Sometimes the choice is preference. Sometimes the choice to colour is motivated by wanting to stay competitive in the workplace.

I think that there is more than enough room for both. My sister always said that she wanted to start going grey until she did, a lot. She is self employed and colours her hair.

It is a very personal decision.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sometimes the choice is preference. Sometimes the choice to colour is motivated by wanting to stay competitive in the workplace.

I think that there is more than enough room for both. My sister always said that she wanted to start going grey until she did, a lot. She is self employed and colours her hair.

It is a very personal decision.

Yes, of course. I didn't mean to imply that nobody should color. I was just sharing some praise and encouragement for those going natural, since natural isn't the trend. Did I mention that this woman too, said she colored when she was working. She probably felt as you do back then. :)

Carry on.

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Yes, of course. I didn't mean to imply that nobody should color. I was just sharing some praise and encouragement for those going natural, since natural isn't the trend. Did I mention that this woman too, said she colored when she was working. She probably felt as you do back then. :)

Carry on.

I did not take what you said the wrong way or think that you were implying anything. I just thought that I would comment on some reasons why some people choose to colour their hair. For me, it is preference.

I also think that pure white hair is beautiful. It is just not for me.

Eryka
November 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Oooh, to have floor length white or silver hair is one of the reasons I look forward to aging. My greatest wish is to have silver hair that is ridiculously shiny. Like anime cartoon silver shiny. The braid waves and silveriness combined would make me stay in front of the mirror 24/7. (Also by that time my skin will have evened out and I could pull off the perfectly pale look. If that happened right now my skin issues would be magnified.)

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I have read that lighter hair colours, because they do not reflect light the same way as darker shades, are less shiny.

The pictures on these boards debunk that myth. I have seen very shiny grey, white and very light blonde hair that is gorgeous IRL (in real life), too.

~GypsyCurls~
November 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Yes yes yes! I *love* white hair! Silver, too...I dye my hair now (and have for a long time) and have several grays, but when it completely turns gray/silver/white I am *not* going to dye it anymore. I want white curls too!

I always make sure I compliment women on their silver/white/gray hair...I saw this woman with silver dreadlocks once, and complimented her on them...they were gorgeous.

Fencai
November 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
every woman on my mother's side of the family has snow white hair.
when I get more of them, I plan to stop. Ive only got a few/couple atm, so for now I will continue hennaing.

DH says that I will be the "old white witch on the hill" when Im old :)

too bad I dont plan to grow up :)

Tressie
November 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
My Dad is 82 and he has lovely soft white hair! It is not thin or anything. I wash it for him and style it a little.

I hope I have inherited his hair genes! :o

wintersun99
November 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM

mira-chan
November 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
From the whites that I'm getting (a nice streak forming), mine will be white but coarse, very thick hairs. Similar to the whites my dad has. My mum and maternal grandmother both have silver hair.

Odile
November 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
My sister has all the excellent white/silver hair genes. She has this gorgeous streak forming from her part that frames her face quite nicely. She gets asked a lot where she goes to get it done that way, and she smiles and tells whoever asks that it is all 100% natural. Lucky her! But she keeps it about shoulder length and layered. I think it would look so much better long, but she says she's never going back to long hair again. If she's happy, that is groovy.

My grays are dispersed rather evenly through my hair, but you can see one little streak in my updos if I twist my hair properly.

Our grandmother was totally gray by 30, and one of her brothers grayed early too...nice white/gray/silver with dark black eyebrows. Yup, we got those genes, yay!

joyellen
November 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
My grandpa has pure white hair. It looks beautiful. I hope those genes got passed down to me!

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I was reading up about hair going gray--apparently, the term 'gray' is misinformation. The hair only looks gray due to the fact that there is no pigment. That's what happens as we age--we lose the pigment/color of our hair. The way your hair will look will depend on your family history. I also think it depends on your original hair color (blonds vs brunettes). Did you know redheads don't get gray hair?? True red heads, that is. This explains why my coach, who is ten years older than me, has no grays. Let me see if I can find the article I read about hair color/loss as you age...
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/grayhair.html
Neat info here, but not the article I was thinking of.

winter_star
November 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I too am a white hair fan. My boyfriend is 23 and was blessed with pure snow white hair! Although he seems to view it more as a curse and dyes it all the time. White hair has been in his family for a long time.

Your right Darkhorse1, it's a genetic disorder where the hair has no pigmentation or loses it over time.

I've always wanted that beautiful small streak of grey that some people get.

ladyfairington
November 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
oh wow, that sounds wonderful!

i've seen a native american woman with long silver hair when i was like 12.

she was the most beautiful woman i had ever seen.

she really touched me and made me want my hair to grow longer all the more. <3!

joyfulmom4
November 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM
IDid you know redheads don't get gray hair?? True red heads, that is. This explains why my coach, who is ten years older than me, has no grays..

Really? My grandfather is a redhead and he's going grey. His hair has been naturally red all his life. Quite vibrant red too, so his nickname has always been "Red" (he liked that far better than "Eugene" :D) He went grey later in life than most, but he's most definitely changing. By grey though, I should probably say "white" b/c his color is very light and mixed with the red it doesn't look that typical grey color. Is that what you meant by redheads not going grey? That they are red and white instead of white and brown/black= grey? Hmmm, that's probably it.