PDA

View Full Version : Black dye and bleach

catoala
January 25th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Hello again!
I post so often on this forum haha. My question is: because I dyed my hair black (1.0), how possible it will be for me to get to blonde colour? NOT whole head. just two front strands (that e girl type of style)? I thought since it's just two strands maybe it will be easier..?

Second question if I can't go blonde, what colours can go over reddish/brown bleached colour?(I know about red, but I wonder about other colours.)

thanks!!

Bat
January 25th, 2022, 04:21 PM
It's Possible but you'd have to do 10 levels of lift and it will wreck your hair if rushed even then there will be breakage

catoala
January 25th, 2022, 04:29 PM
It's Possible but you'd have to do 10 levels of lift and it will wreck your hair if rushed even then there will be breakage

I mean to be honest, those two strands are shorter than the rest because I had fringe, so I don't really care too much.... but.. it won't fall out right? Weird question i know haha

Bat
January 25th, 2022, 04:30 PM
I mean to be honest, those two strands are shorter than the rest because I had fringe, so I don't really care too much.... but.. it won't fall out right? Weird question i know haha

It shouldn't like fall out in clumps but it will thin it in places it can get frizzy too if lifted too much in a short amount of time

lapushka
January 25th, 2022, 04:49 PM
There is a big difference between bleaching from a natural black (virgin hair) to a platinum blonde, and from a dyed black to a platinum blonde. The latter is *suuuper* hard to get out. And like Bat says, you will wreck your hair in the process. Especially if you try and rush it.

If you can get it to a nice dark blonde/light brown? Would you be happy with that?

catoala
January 25th, 2022, 04:54 PM
It shouldn't like fall out in clumps but it will thin it in places it can get frizzy too if lifted too much in a short amount of time
Thanks!!

There is a big difference between bleaching from a natural black (virgin hair) to a platinum blonde, and from a dyed black to a platinum blonde. The latter is *suuuper* hard to get out. And like Bat says, you will wreck your hair in the process. Especially if you try and rush it.

If you can get it to a nice dark blonde/light brown? Would you be happy with that?

Yes, that would be really nice too, I didn't mean platinum but blonde(ish) yes. For dark blonde, would it be easy?

lapushka
January 25th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Yes, that would be really nice too, I didn't mean platinum but blonde(ish) yes. For dark blonde, would it be easy?

Getting that dye out is the main thing. I think I would go to a salon, if I were you. If it was your natural hair, and you have some experience with bleach and or dye, I would say go for it, but... IDK.

And the process is 2-fold. 1/ bleaching the dye out 2/ re-dying or toning, either or. And that is where expert hands come in.

catoala
January 25th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Getting that dye out is the main thing. I think I would go to a salon, if I were you. If it was your natural hair, and you have some experience with bleach and or dye, I would say go for it, but... IDK.

And the process is 2-fold. 1/ bleaching the dye out 2/ re-dying or toning, either or. And that is where expert hands come in.

I will go to a salon yes! I just wondered is it possible because its small pieces of hair and itd be bad if they said "well we can't can't that"! haha

GrowlingCupcake
January 25th, 2022, 05:44 PM
What's your natural hair colour? Go talk to a salon but they could potentially also remove the black (with something like colour oops), and then dye from your natural hair colour. It'll still dry your hair out but some moisture, and protein should fix the mushy straw that can be left after colour oops.

Might be the better route especially if your hair is closeish to blonde.

stardust lady
January 25th, 2022, 10:13 PM
I've been researching this a lot, as I just recently dyed my hair black and am looking to get back to my natural light brown/dark blond hair. I've learned that, indeed, it is probably the best choice to remove as much color as possible before going in with the bleach. Salons should have the products to remove both direct dyes and oxidative dyes. I'm personally working on removing direct dye as well as henna, and I'm happy to keep you updated on how it goes, though my appointment isn't for another 6 days. I plan on doing this process very very slowly and spending a lot of time in between with coconut oil and Olaplex :)

Edit: also, I did do ColorOops a couple days ago (stupidly, because the box said it removes semi-permanent, but then I found out it actually DOESNT work on direct dye) and my hair felt pretty rough during and directly afterwards, but after a couple days and some good conditioning treatments, it mostly feels normal again. So that's definitely a good place to start as the damage is much less significant than bleach.

JasminxCat
January 25th, 2022, 11:02 PM
I will go to a salon yes! I just wondered is it possible because its small pieces of hair and itd be bad if they said "well we can't can't that"! haha

Just ask them, they should be able to. But I think it would still be the full price for service

Bri-Chan
January 26th, 2022, 01:29 AM
I removed black hair dye twice in my life. As Bat says, it really destroys the hair and also, I think, you need to consider how resilient your hair is. The last time I wasn't dying my hair for too long and it took something like 3 bleaches to remove the black and I didn't even reach a blond (ginger).
I think that a salon should have done a better job in my case (I've dyed and bleached my own hair for 8 years, so I do have experience) so probably it will not be as bad as mine.

lapushka
January 26th, 2022, 01:52 AM
Oh yes good point. Is it a permanent dye you died your hair black with? A semi? A demi? Or deposit dye? In which case, just wait until it fades. So I am guessing it's permanent? Otherwise there would not be such an issue, I reckon.

Dark40
January 26th, 2022, 08:09 AM
It's so very hard to get out black hair dye if you're looking to go to a pale light blonde color without wrecking your hair like what Bat said.

TatsuOni
January 26th, 2022, 08:58 AM
I've gone from box black to blond twice. Yes my hair got very damaged.

It didn't get blond at once. First there's the "carrot colour". I went with that colour for a while before bleaching again. (Always wait at least a month, before bleaching your hair again and baby it in between.) You can however throw in brown or something to cover up the carrot colour if you want to.

Obsidian
January 26th, 2022, 09:24 AM
Salons do not have any kind of color remover like color oops. Its either bleach based or vit C based.

Color oops really is best to use to remove as much of the black as possible. Might need 2 or even 3 treatments, black is stubborn.
Let the hair rest and get back to normal before going in for bleach and color.

Good color to go over brassy blonds would be reds and oranges. Pink may give a rose gold, just depends on how light you manage to go.

lapushka
January 26th, 2022, 11:35 AM
"Carrot color" is an excellent way to describe that intermediate stage; it is slighter when you bleach natural black rather than a black dye (because that comes out more difficult, aka is more stubborn). If you want a brown dye / color after it: fine, you can go right ahead, there *needs to be* a red / orange in there for it not to turn green. Only if it's fully yellow can you throw a blonde dye / toner over it. A blonde toner over "carrot color" is a disaster, and won't work.

Kathie
January 27th, 2022, 07:44 PM
I've also done the box black to light blond trip. I got it done professionally. Even then, when it was wet it was very fragile- like chewing gum. After removing the bleach, conditioned etc, they put me straight under the blow dryer (those full head ones that the lower over you). They wouldn't comb or touch it while wet. When dry it was a bit stronger.

An option is pausing at the carrot orange stage and deliberately going a nice red for a bit. A friend of mine did when she transitioned from blue black to blond. It looked really nice, and not like she was suffering through a transition phase.