PDA

View Full Version : Permanent hair part??!!

blackgothicdoll
January 18th, 2022, 11:01 PM
As the title says.... what can be done about permanent hair parts? I wash my hair in four sections and have noticed that the vertical part from my nape to my hairline is pretty much permanent. The part at the crown of my head cannot be removed and I'm starting to think there is actual hair loss. Even if I make a side part, my middle part is there to stay. I need to wash my hair in sections and the vertical half forms itself - I don't part with a comb or anything. Why is this happening and can I fix it???

Chromis
January 18th, 2022, 11:34 PM
Even when I have manged to get mine to part in a different way, it invariably gives me a splitting headache within a couple of minutes. When I comb straight back, the middle part just happens anyhow. Back in junior high and highschool when side parts with that swoosh of bangs ("mall bangs") where a thing I still had a centre part no matter how much I tried to comb it into a wave and slather gel and hairspray on it until it was crunchy. I think some scalps are just very stubborn. I've certainly never parted it this way on purpose! For one, I'd have made the parting straighter and not crooked and ever so slightly off of the middle as well. At least that would look like I meant to do it!

EdG
January 18th, 2022, 11:53 PM
My hair type is completely different from yours, but in every case of a persistent wave or fold, I have found lint holding the hairs together. These were big pieces of lint, over 1cm long. Getting rid of the lint allowed the hair to become free-flowing, and the wave or fold disappeared.

You know your hair better than I do. I expect that 4a people would have a lot of difficulty in keeping hair strands free-flowing.
Ed

lapushka
January 19th, 2022, 01:48 AM
How much of it is it a true part/part or a man-made one. I am thinking it's going to take multiple (shampoo) washes, so the harsher kind, and you not parting it in the same sections not to lay that way. IMO if it's due to sections you always created, should be solvable. Now I am no oracle, I don't know for sure. How much of it was you just following where it naturally parted to create those sections?

Lady Stardust
January 19th, 2022, 03:44 AM
My hair likes to part itself :) I remember seeing a thread on here about whether we part our hair when we do updos. I have no choice, it just goes that way.

Sometimes I can get my hair to lie differently if I comb it from one side to the other. I need to do this if I get a parting in my fringe, I comb it all over to the left and then all over to the right, and keep doing that until the parting disappears.

draysmir
January 19th, 2022, 07:30 AM
Do you part your hair in the same sections everyday? You could switch up where you make your sections when you wash and style. :) The middle part would be exposed more and therefore more likely to get damaged over time. The corners of those sections would likely feel more tension and pull from washing, which may create damage.

blackgothicdoll
January 19th, 2022, 08:36 AM
Even when I have manged to get mine to part in a different way, it invariably gives me a splitting headache within a couple of minutes. When I comb straight back, the middle part just happens anyhow. Back in junior high and highschool when side parts with that swoosh of bangs ("mall bangs") where a thing I still had a centre part no matter how much I tried to comb it into a wave and slather gel and hairspray on it until it was crunchy. I think some scalps are just very stubborn. I've certainly never parted it this way on purpose! For one, I'd have made the parting straighter and not crooked and ever so slightly off of the middle as well. At least that would look like I meant to do it!

SO glad I'm not the only one dealing with this!

My hair type is completely different from yours, but in every case of a persistent wave or fold, I have found lint holding the hairs together. These were big pieces of lint, over 1cm long. Getting rid of the lint allowed the hair to become free-flowing, and the wave or fold disappeared.

You know your hair better than I do. I expect that 4a people would have a lot of difficulty in keeping hair strands free-flowing.
Ed

Yeah free-flowing is not something that I would ever describe as happening with my hair at any point, haha!

How much of it is it a true part/part or a man-made one. I am thinking it's going to take multiple (shampoo) washes, so the harsher kind, and you not parting it in the same sections not to lay that way. IMO if it's due to sections you always created, should be solvable. Now I am no oracle, I don't know for sure. How much of it was you just following where it naturally parted to create those sections?

The middle part from front to back was originally man-made, and is just re-used... eg I take my fingers and just 'open' the hair into a right and left section, and it happens pretty permanently now. I HAVE to wash in sections, so washing my hair in one blob to get rid of the part is likely not an option.... I'm not even sure how I'd manage that.

My hair likes to part itself :) I remember seeing a thread on here about whether we part our hair when we do updos. I have no choice, it just goes that way.

Sometimes I can get my hair to lie differently if I comb it from one side to the other. I need to do this if I get a parting in my fringe, I comb it all over to the left and then all over to the right, and keep doing that until the parting disappears.

I try brushing it down, and brushing my hair alone while dry is already not a good idea.... I did that yesterday, dampened my hair, added gel, and braided it down.... there's a sore part on my scalp where I made the new part, and I'm sure once I unbraid it that middle part will still be there underneath it.

Do you part your hair in the same sections everyday? You could switch up where you make your sections when you wash and style. :) The middle part would be exposed more and therefore more likely to get damaged over time. The corners of those sections would likely feel more tension and pull from washing, which may create damage.

I only part my hair in these sections on wash day, which is once a week. The rest of the week I try to cover and fluff out the hair around the part, but it's still 'there'. I may be just having a slow moment but I can't think of another way to part my hair. I part it vertically in half, then each of those halves I part behind the ear. The parts behind the ear aren't visible (at least not to me), probably because I've never created a part, just pulled the hair open. But the one in the middle was originally 'man-made' to be as straight as possible, and that thing is embedded. And the apex of my head, where those two parts meet, is where I think I'm actually having some hair loss. :/

lapis_lazuli
January 19th, 2022, 08:56 AM
No advice, I just have the same problem. The middle part is too powerful. I can make a sort-of side part about one inch away on either side, but the original is still kinda there, being slightly wider than my artificial parts. I fight it, but that's what it wants to do.

I would not describe my hair as "free-flowing" either. I remember watching girls in my class seamlessly brush their hair over their heads, erasing the part, whereas when I tried my fingers would just get stuck.

Lady Stardust
January 19th, 2022, 09:09 AM
My parting is impossible to shift if the shower flow has flattened it down. I only have any hope if I wash my hair is washed upside down.

My hair in the crown area is straight at the roots though so obviously that makes it easier for me because I can use a fine tooth comb on it (unless cemented down by the shower, that would cause breakage).

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2022, 10:50 AM
If you want to try parting it a different way, maybe diagonally? So you still have the 4 sections you need, but in a different orientation if that makes sense. They might have be slightly uneven to meet in a different place on your head, though, probably.

I don't have any permanent partings but if I have my hair down at all temporarily it falls into a nearly-not-quite centre parting. Once it's greasy, sometimes I'll end up with a weird side sort-of parting even with my hair up, where I've never ever parted it myself, and it can be hard to force it to lay more smoothly despite combing it out whilst putting my hair up higher. (But not every wash cycle :shrug:)

shelomit
January 19th, 2022, 03:32 PM
I don't have a permanent part all the way down my scalp, but the inch or so right at the hairline clearly wants to be where it is. I can brush straight back from my hairline without any scalp discomfort, but unless I put in a hairstyle with such high tension that there's nowhere for it to move, that front bit of the part will naturally fall back in after a few hours. I haven't been motivated to try and get rid of it, so no solutions--sorry ) : But you're not the only one!

The recent thread about widow's peaks makes me wonder if there is a "structural" reason some of us have hair that seems bound and determined to part at the center.

Kat
January 19th, 2022, 03:55 PM
My hair wants to part in the middle and always has. Back around middle/high school my mom and aunt always tried to get me to change to a side part. My hair didn't really want to. What they and other people kept telling me was "oh you just have to train it." (Finally around college, I think it was, I gave up trying-- I'd never wanted a side part anyway, it was just something other people kept telling me I should have {I'm sure it was a "you'd look so pretty if..." or "it'll make you look older" thing}.) But maybe it's true that one can "train" a new part and I just didn't try hard enough?

Finda
January 19th, 2022, 03:57 PM
As the title says.... what can be done about permanent hair parts? I wash my hair in four sections and have noticed that the vertical part from my nape to my hairline is pretty much permanent. The part at the crown of my head cannot be removed and I'm starting to think there is actual hair loss. Even if I make a side part, my middle part is there to stay. I need to wash my hair in sections and the vertical half forms itself - I don't part with a comb or anything. Why is this happening and can I fix it???

I needed to wash my hair in sections, too. Now I wash with an applicator bottle like this: https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B08DNM4QHK/ref=sr_1_38?keywords=applicator+bottle+hair&qid=1642632210&sr=8-38
I put in a lot of shampoo and just enough water to get a lot of lather when I shake it. Then I can squeeze it in the underlayer without much hassle. That's also the only way I can get sulfate free shampoos to work. I still part my hair from forehead to nape, though.

A kid at my workplace often has hairdos where the hair is parted horizontally. After her nap, the part is still in place, even though all hairties have been removed. And on days she has for example two dutch braids, the hair falls in place with the vertical parting after her nap. Same when she's wearing it down and I brush through it. I always notice the hair wanting to part horizontally.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2022, 04:00 PM
The recent thread about widow's peaks makes me wonder if there is a "structural" reason some of us have hair that seems bound and determined to part at the center.

This is an interesting question and I certainly think it's possible. I've noticed there seems to be a correlation between having a widow's peak, certain physical structural features (e.g. pointy chin / no cleft at least), and a V at the back hairline. I think it's fascinating; I wish I knew more about biological development when it comes to things like this.

But maybe it's true that one can "train" a new part and I just didn't try hard enough?

This is something I would be inclined to think probably goes into the 'YMMV' category.

lapushka
January 19th, 2022, 04:07 PM
The middle part from front to back was originally man-made, and is just re-used... eg I take my fingers and just 'open' the hair into a right and left section, and it happens pretty permanently now. I HAVE to wash in sections, so washing my hair in one blob to get rid of the part is likely not an option.... I'm not even sure how I'd manage that.

Could you manage 6 sections instead of 4? So one side to a side part, the other side to a side part, and then the middle section. It would skimp all over the middle section and keep that tight together. Might work?

Ylva
January 19th, 2022, 04:15 PM
This is an interesting question and I certainly think it's possible. I've noticed there seems to be a correlation between having a widow's peak, certain physical structural features (e.g. pointy chin / no cleft at least), and a V at the back hairline. I think it's fascinating; I wish I knew more about biological development when it comes to things like this.

Interesting! I have a widow's peak and I can tick the pointy chin + no cleft. However, my back hairline seems mostly like a very slight W - basically straight.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Interesting! I have a widow's peak and I can tick the pointy chin + no cleft. However, my back hairline seems mostly like a very slight W - basically straight.

I wonder if a V has any correlation with the prominence of a widow's peak then :hmm: my brother has always had what looks likea very 'receding hairline' and a strong V (he called it his 'tuft' as a child) and I've noticed it on a few friends IRL as well as a few actors. There was one actor I noticed had a slight widow's peak and no discernible V (although one can never be sure whether the stylist for the show did something clever to disguise it, e.g. the hairs either side longer than the hairs where a V would be) but I can't remember who that was.

:couch: … do I feel a poll coming on? :lol:

Ylva
January 19th, 2022, 04:30 PM
I wonder if a V has any correlation with the prominence of a widow's peak then :hmm: my brother has always had what looks likea very 'receding hairline' and a strong V (he called it his 'tuft' as a child) and I've noticed it on a few friends IRL as well as a few actors. There was one actor I noticed had a slight widow's peak and no discernible V (although one can never be sure whether the stylist for the show did something clever to disguise it, e.g. the hairs either side longer than the hairs where a V would be) but I can't remember who that was.

:couch: … do I feel a poll coming on? :lol:

Wait, did you mean the hairline at the back of the neck (that's what I thought you meant at least!), or on either side of the widow's peak? Because there I do have a "receding" hairline.

I would love a poll on this! I don't have the focus right now to make it sufficiently good, but I hope someone else gets excited about the idea as well!

Chromis
January 19th, 2022, 04:36 PM
My hair wants to part in the middle and always has. Back around middle/high school my mom and aunt always tried to get me to change to a side part. My hair didn't really want to. What they and other people kept telling me was "oh you just have to train it." (Finally around college, I think it was, I gave up trying-- I'd never wanted a side part anyway, it was just something other people kept telling me I should have {I'm sure it was a "you'd look so pretty if..." or "it'll make you look older" thing}.) But maybe it's true that one can "train" a new part and I just didn't try hard enough?

I tried for years as a youth to train mine with absolutely no success. I even tried recombing it midday which did no good at all. My centre part came right back *and* left me covered in white mess from all that gel I'd used. Ew!

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Wait, did you mean the hairline at the back of the neck (that's what I thought you meant at least!), or on either side of the widow's peak? Because there I do have a "receding" hairline.

I would love a poll on this! I don't have the focus right now to make it sufficiently good, but I hope someone else gets excited about the idea as well!

No, I did mean the back hairline. The widow's peak is kind of its own V sticking out at the front :) I mentioned the 'receding hairline' just to emphasise how strong my brother's peak is (though in fairness lots of people have that pattern to an extent … I haven't noticed any correlation there though because I haven't really been looking at that).

Hehe, glad it might of interest. I'm not very good at polls but will mull it over - though if you or anyone else reading wants to go for it before I've done anything, please do! :hollie: :D

Kat
January 19th, 2022, 06:10 PM
I dunno. I have no widow's peak, my chin is not pointy and does have a cleft... not sure what my back hairline is like, though; it might have some kind of V shape/point?

This is something I would be inclined to think probably goes into the 'YMMV' category.

I'm inclined to think so as well, which is another part of the reason I stopped trying-- if this is the way my hair wants to be, and I'm fine with having it this way, why am I trying to change it just because other people think I should?

I tried for years as a youth to train mine with absolutely no success. I even tried recombing it midday which did no good at all. My centre part came right back *and* left me covered in white mess from all that gel I'd used. Ew!

Ooh, ick. I never tried gel or spray on mine... just had to keep shoving it out of my face because all of the hair that really wanted to be on the other side kept trying to go back there...

Just for fun, I should try it again now that my hair is long. Before when I was trying it, my hair was in a bob. Now maybe with more weight behind it, and because my hair is pulled back rather than hanging free, it would stay put. (Not that I want a side part now, either-- for one, I prefer my hairstyles to appear symmetrical-- but it would be an interesting experiment.)

Chromis
January 19th, 2022, 06:48 PM
I dunno. I have no widow's peak, my chin is not pointy and does have a cleft... not sure what my back hairline is like, though; it might have some kind of V shape/point?

I'm inclined to think so as well, which is another part of the reason I stopped trying-- if this is the way my hair wants to be, and I'm fine with having it this way, why am I trying to change it just because other people think I should?

Ooh, ick. I never tried gel or spray on mine... just had to keep shoving it out of my face because all of the hair that really wanted to be on the other side kept trying to go back there...

Just for fun, I should try it again now that my hair is long. Before when I was trying it, my hair was in a bob. Now maybe with more weight behind it, and because my hair is pulled back rather than hanging free, it would stay put. (Not that I want a side part now, either-- for one, I prefer my hairstyles to appear symmetrical-- but it would be an interesting experiment.)

I even tried pinning it in place. The hair would be all swept over to the side and the part would still just show through. I long ago gave up fighting with it and don't mind it now, but it's pretty wild how determined my hair is to lay exactly that way. I tried washing it draped to the side and upside down and combing it the moment I got out of the shower too :lol: