PDA

View Full Version : Post Covid shedding HELP :(

Hexana
January 8th, 2022, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, I had Covid in mid October (not too bad, some coughing, low fever for 2 days and tiredness) and am now experiencing the "post Covid shed". The increased shedding started a month ago but I didn't think it was too bad (like 2x more as my usual shedding at wash) considering a lot of people experience increased shedding after Covid. But it started increasing with every wash and yesterday I shed 4 to 5 times more as my usual shed when washing my hair and I was shocked. :( I am afraid of what will happend next time I wash again.
I went online to check what were other people's experiences regarding Covid shedding and honestly I wish I didn't. I read that some people lost over half of their hair and that it considered "normal". So...Now I am freaking out... I am finally gaining some length and now it feels like all was for nothing if I will have to cut it and grow it out again due to this.
Does anyone have any experience on how to try to minimise the shedding? I already am very gentle with my hair, I take vitamin D in the winter and eat millet. I will add weekly ayurvedic scalp masks and probably scalp oiling with castor oil. I am probably ging to look into some hair supplements as well.
This is really bumming me out as in the back of my mind i know that there is probably not much I can do about this :cry:

pisinoe
January 9th, 2022, 12:57 AM
I went through this mid last year. I ended up cutting my hair off because the shedding was too much and it was tangling horribly. It stopped falling out the next month eventually, so I guess you could say it lasted 3 months. I lost A LOT of hair but it wasn't noticeable and still isn't, probably because I had enough hair for 5 people to start with, so it may vary for you. What helped me was waiting it out and using medicated hair loss shampoo (Ducray Anaphase+ helped the most). Even if it doesn't stop the shedding, it did help grow my hair back pretty much immediately and I have tons of new growth that is already considerably long!

Sorry it isn't helpful, but you'll have to wait it out and try to not stress over it too much because that only makes things worse. I feel for you. Courage!

Hexana
January 9th, 2022, 02:20 AM
pisinoe thanks for your reply and support. I will check out the Ducray Anaphase+, but as far as I googled this is a mild shampoo? I already use shampoos without sulfates because they irritate my scalp, but maybe it's worth a try to switch.

Solovey
January 9th, 2022, 02:49 AM
I don't know how to help but I had no idea this was a thing, I just tested positive yesterday myself and now I have something else to worry about I guess :\

shelomit
January 9th, 2022, 09:33 AM
If it helps, Solovey (or provides a little more hope to others), I had covid with about the same degree of symptoms as Hexana and did not have any unusual hair loss afterwards. I'm still tired all the time, though : P

Jane99
January 9th, 2022, 12:26 PM
I boosted up vitamins post covid. Vitamin C, fish oil, probiotics and I’m taking another supplement with a b complex that has helped tremendously with depression and fatigue. I had covid mid october too with similar severity of symptoms. I think I’m shedding more than I should, but not really more than I already was, because my body has been underwent a surgery, biopsy, lyme and personal major stressors in the last year and a half, which I believe has led to increased shedding overall. But I still have hair and it’s good enough. It’s the other health issues I worry more about, personally. Just trying to make good decisions for myself

Hairkay
January 9th, 2022, 01:15 PM
I also lost some hair post covid. I knew it was a possibility. For 2-3 months afterward I had a sore sensitive scalp and was dealing with long covid. Then the shedding started in the 4th month. My hair is thick so it wasn't that noticeable to me at first and others don't notice. That's stopped now and I have regrowth. My roots are coming in thick so there's tangles there. I'm not doing much styling just letting the hair do its thing. It would be too complicated and hard to cut my hair very short. There's a lack of suitable available hairdressers for me and I have extra costs for hair type and hair length.

I too had to boost my vitamins simply because the illness depleted everything even though prior to illness my levels were good. I'd had some symptoms cause by lack of certain vitamins. I had blood tests and doctor's advice what to replenish as well as getting my appetite back. Lots of soup salads, eggs, and roast vegetables. When I was able to eat fish and meat again I added that in. I also had a lot of rest.

lapushka
January 9th, 2022, 01:19 PM
I boosted up vitamins post covid. Vitamin C, fish oil, probiotics and I’m taking another supplement with a b complex that has helped tremendously with depression and fatigue. I had covid mid october too with similar severity of symptoms. I think I’m shedding more than I should, but not really more than I already was, because my body has been underwent a surgery, biopsy, lyme and personal major stressors in the last year and a half, which I believe has led to increased shedding overall. But I still have hair and it’s good enough. It’s the other health issues I worry more about, personally. Just trying to make good decisions for myself

First thing I did was order us al vitamin C, effervescent tablets. In abundance... for when tragedy should strike (let's hope not).

I sympathize, as I do with anyone going through a big shed. I know what it's like, trust me (I had more than your normal shed start of puberty, up to 3 bald spots). My hair came out in chunks. As long as it's not doing that... you'll be fine!

You will be fine! I know you will. :)

Hexana
January 10th, 2022, 01:16 PM
shelomit a lot of people I've talk to say that they still feel tired even after 1y since they recovered, so I quess this is also one of the long term effects :/
Solovey maybe do like Jane99 said, build up on vitamins, some suplements etc. but most of all rest so you recover quicker. I wish you a speedi recovery!
Hairkay happy for you that your hair started regrowing fast. How long did your "post Covid shed" last?
lapushka we stocked up on vitamin D immediately when we got Covid, also regular multivitamins and a lot of oranges (me and my husband just couldn't eat anything else then). Since my symptoms were normal to mild I never thought to stock up on other stuff as well. I always though that you had to have a high fever or trouble breathing for such a reaction (hair fall). I know I read somewhere but just can't remember why exactly you had hairfall as a teenager. Was it hormones or was there an underlying condition? Thank you for the well wishes!

Lady Stardust
January 10th, 2022, 02:06 PM
The dental hygienist mentioned to me today that vitamin D often seems to be lacking after Covid. Have you had a blood test just to check where you are with everything? (sorry if you have said and I missed it)

Hexana
January 10th, 2022, 03:00 PM
The dental hygienist mentioned to me today that vitamin D often seems to be lacking after Covid. Have you had a blood test just to check where you are with everything? (sorry if you have said and I missed it)
No, I haven't got my bloodwork done afte rcovid, but I was taking 2 vitamin D pills a day the first month after. Now I take 1. If the shedding doesn't subside in 2 months I will ask my doctor for a bloodwork just to be sure

Lady Stardust
January 10th, 2022, 03:05 PM
No, I haven't got my bloodwork done afte rcovid, but I was taking 2 vitamin D pills a day the first month after. Now I take 1. If the shedding doesn't subside in 2 months I will ask my doctor for a bloodwork just to be sure

I hope the shedding stops soon for you :blossom:

shelomit
January 10th, 2022, 03:46 PM
shelomit a lot of people I've talk to say that they still feel tired even after 1y since they recovered, so I quess this is also one of the long term effects :/

I'm coming up on the two-year mark (I was a trendsetter, getting covid in February 2020!) and would still sleep eighteen hours a day if I could get away with it : P

lapushka
January 10th, 2022, 05:03 PM
Solovey maybe do like Jane99 said, build up on vitamins, some suplements etc. but most of all rest so you recover quicker. I wish you a speedi recovery!
Hairkay happy for you that your hair started regrowing fast. How long did your "post Covid shed" last?
lapushka we stocked up on vitamin D immediately when we got Covid, also regular multivitamins and a lot of oranges (me and my husband just couldn't eat anything else then). Since my symptoms were normal to mild I never thought to stock up on other stuff as well. I always though that you had to have a high fever or trouble breathing for such a reaction (hair fall). I know I read somewhere but just can't remember why exactly you had hairfall as a teenager. Was it hormones or was there an underlying condition? Thank you for the well wishes!

I was 13/14 and right at the start of puberty. It was hormones trying to balance out, yes: totally hormonal. And I am not kidding one bit when I say chunks. :(

mermaid lullaby
January 10th, 2022, 06:55 PM
Here's a flower for you! :flower:

Hexana
January 10th, 2022, 10:09 PM
I hope the shedding stops soon for you :blossom:
Thank you!

mermaid lullaby aaa thank you very much! ☺️

Hexana
January 10th, 2022, 10:12 PM
I was 13/14 and right at the start of puberty. It was hormones trying to balance out, yes: totally hormonal. And I am not kidding one bit when I say chunks. :(
So sorry that you had to go through that 🙁 you do have wonderful hair now though! 🙂

lapushka
January 11th, 2022, 12:11 AM
So sorry that you had to go through that �� you do have wonderful hair now though! ��

Yes, menopause now and for a while, tiny chunks were coming off while washing, but that's about 3-6 washes that that bugged me so about 1-2 months and now it's fine again. I was worried there for a second! So I totally get the fear for losing the hair. You have worked so hard to keep it in a certain condition and if anything tries to mess with that... it's tough! :(

Here's to hoping it gets better before it gets any worse! :flower:

Hairkay
January 11th, 2022, 11:01 AM

It was 2-3 months I think.

Belgrade Beauty
January 11th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Oh, thanks for making this thread... I'm experiencing it as well. It started about a month after the illness, and its still going... I'm freaking out and I'm reading here to see what I can do. I had vitamin D deficiency even before covid, so I'm taking my vit D drops. I used that Anaphase shampoo in my teens. Didn't help. Anyway, you're not alone. I just hope it will get better. I'm a ii in my best. My scalp is starting to show and I'm scared.

Finda
January 11th, 2022, 01:41 PM
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/pandemic-hair-loss-treatment-products/620696/

Not sure if this is any help, but I came across this article some time ago.
"The Year America:s Hair Fell Out"
I wish anyone going through this a speedy recovery!

Fitzpatrick
January 11th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Try consuming nettle, moringa and green tea. Eat cruciferous vegetables like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale and spinach. Try incorporating edible gourds like pumpkin and cucumbers. Eat berries either frozen or fresh. Consume wild caught fish like salmon, sardines and herring. When it comes to natural topical solutions try cold pressed pumpkin seed oil and combine that with rosemary essential oil. I have utilized all of the abovementioned and I haven't had any bad results.

lapushka
January 11th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Try consuming nettle, moringa and green tea. Eat cruciferous vegetables like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kale and spinach. Try incorporating edible gourds like pumpkin and cucumbers. Eat berries either frozen or fresh. Consume wild caught fish like salmon, sardines and herring. When it comes to natural topical solutions try cold pressed pumpkin seed oil and combine that with rosemary essential oil. I have utilized all of the abovementioned and I haven't had any bad results.

Don't know about you but things like this are in my standard diet. And eating this all the time might be a little one-sided (you can't possibly always eat the same vegetables over and over again). Carrots are equally as important; other fishes, other meats, chicken, beef, lots of legumes if you aren't big on the meat. I mean, I think as long as your diet is well-rounded, it should be good.

RedRoseGardener
January 12th, 2022, 02:53 PM
I’ve had it twice, February 2020 and again September 2021. The first time I didn’t see increased shedding but I was also doing hormone therapy and taking tons of vitamins daily. The last time I have seen a significant increase in the amount of hair I lose when brushing/combing and washing though it didn’t start until probably November so maybe seasonal? Either way. I immediately started using peppermint, rosemary, cedar wood and lavender essential oils on my scalp and most of the time would just apply neat so I didn’t have to wash my hair though I know it isn’t safe or practical for everyone to do it that way. It’s always better to use a carrier oil and I have with my most recent treatments. The oils have seemed to help a whole lot. I need to do a treatment every couple of weeks to see the most benefits.
I’m sorry you’re going through this, it’s scary and frustrating.

Hairkay
January 13th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Don't know about you but things like this are in my standard diet. And eating this all the time might be a little one-sided (you can't possibly always eat the same vegetables over and over again). Carrots are equally as important; other fishes, other meats, chicken, beef, lots of legumes if you aren't big on the meat. I mean, I think as long as your diet is well-rounded, it should be good.

That's the same with me. All I could eat was those vegetables plus mushrooms and all sorts of peppers for some months. I couldn't stomach meat or fish though I did manage to eat chicken and vegetable soup the first week I got sick since most of it was vegetable with very little chicken. I also managed to have some berries. I always have nettle tea that I use for my hayfever. Other herbal teas I usually have are ginger with tumeric, peppermint tea, fennel tea and camomile tea. I have them when I'm not feeling to good or in the case of camomile when I want to relax and sleep. I had to go low carb since having that give me pain.

Fitzpatrick
January 14th, 2022, 04:29 PM
I have hypothyroidism so my diet doesn't get to be interesting. What I listed were just examples of a human diet consists of. There are some that are picky eaters. Not trying to pick an argument, just telling my side of things.

Hexana
January 14th, 2022, 11:40 PM
lapushka thank you :)
Belgrade Beauty so sorry that you are going through this as well :(
RedRoseGardener thanks for the info, deffinetly started using some of these right after my first post. I now use a weekly mask from ayurvedic herbs+peppermint and rosemary essential oil and spray my scalp daily with rosemary tea. I am also adding the Ordinary scalp serum to my routing, though I don't know how this one will work out (first time trying it it left my scalp a bit itchy). I also take vit D daily and I found a suplement that combines a lot of different vitamins that are supposed to be good for hair. I also upped my water intake.

Thank you to everyone for the support. This means really much to me as I can't talk about this with anyone else (friends and family don't really care much for hair stuff).

lapushka
January 15th, 2022, 08:55 AM
I have hypothyroidism so my diet doesn't get to be interesting. What I listed were just examples of a human diet consists of. There are some that are picky eaters. Not trying to pick an argument, just telling my side of things.

Ah, yeah, I couldn't guess that you have a health issue. Sorry. :)

embee
January 15th, 2022, 11:28 AM
I had something (never got tested, there were none I knew of and doctor wasn't seeing sick people) last winter. I lost oodles of hair starting in March of 2021, right after my first Covid shot (which also had nasty side effects). I was just sick about it, my brush was full every single day for weeks. No idea if it was sickness related, Covid vax related, or a massive first-time-ever spring shed.

There was nothing for it but just keep going, and now I have oodles of hairs about 6-8 inches long mixed in with my remaining classics. Bun got very small, but I'm so glad I did *not* cut.

lapushka
January 15th, 2022, 11:35 AM
I had something (never got tested, there were none I knew of and doctor wasn't seeing sick people) last winter. I lost oodles of hair starting in March of 2021, right after my first Covid shot (which also had nasty side effects). I was just sick about it, my brush was full every single day for weeks. No idea if it was sickness related, Covid vax related, or a massive first-time-ever spring shed.

There was nothing for it but just keep going, and now I have oodles of hairs about 6-8 inches long mixed in with my remaining classics. Bun got very small, but I'm so glad I did *not* cut.

I think that's so important here!

The hair will catch up. When I lost chunks (no joke, really) going through the first phases of puberty (3 bald patches, and quite big, about 3cm diameter was my biggest one). Well what I was saying was... I had a pixie cut at the time that had grown out a bit, 3/4 cm out thereabouts, and I just grew it while it was falling out. Don't ask me how I did it! I just let it do its thing. I figured if I could not get it thick, I could get it long, and guess what, that hair after about a year grew in (well 9 months and I could see stubble). It will get better. Trust in that!

lapushka
January 15th, 2022, 01:55 PM
I might be so terribly wrong about cold being not so bad. Just found this video and it is also along those lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCGDEPRxqA&list=WL&index=5

She has some good tips once in a while.

Hexana
January 20th, 2022, 10:44 PM
I might be so terribly wrong about cold being not so bad. Just found this video and it is also along those lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCGDEPRxqA&list=WL&index=5

She has some good tips once in a while.

Thanks! I did notice more hairfall in winter, but not as much as this year. A lot of videos say that there is really not much you can do about it, maybe take some supplements, be gentle to your hair and don't use anything harsh on it :(

Mary <><
May 9th, 2022, 02:21 PM
I skimmed through looking for advice as I am going through this myself. I had covid in December 2021 and my hair began raining off of my head in February 2022. It is now May of 2022 and it is just starting to normalize as far as how much is falling out. I hope that trend continues!

I am using biotin, but I thought about adding in prenatal vitamins as well. I also take extra virgin cod liver oil. Going to start doing vinegar rinses and SMTs again. The sad thing was I was already sorely behind on my hair care routine after having 8 pregnancies in 8 yrs (4 live births, 4 losses) and of course that caused a lot of hair loss also. Hoping those of us suffering hair loss from covid can regrow it quickly!

Hexana
May 9th, 2022, 09:23 PM
I skimmed through looking for advice as I am going through this myself. I had covid in December 2021 and my hair began raining off of my head in February 2022. It is now May of 2022 and it is just starting to normalize as far as how much is falling out. I hope that trend continues!

I am using biotin, but I thought about adding in prenatal vitamins as well. I also take extra virgin cod liver oil. Going to start doing vinegar rinses and SMTs again. The sad thing was I was already sorely behind on my hair care routine after having 8 pregnancies in 8 yrs (4 live births, 4 losses) and of course that caused a lot of hair loss also. Hoping those of us suffering hair loss from covid can regrow it quickly!

Very sorry you had to go through much 😟 and then covid on top. Glad that the shedding stopped, mine did after 3 months as well. Cod liver oil never really heard of it, is it specifically supposed to help hair or is it for overall health (like fish oil)?

embee
May 10th, 2022, 06:47 AM
Hi Mary! Long time no word from you. Hope things are going well with your family. Sorry about your 4 losses and covid and your post-covid shed. I had huge hairloss after my covid vax, and it is growing back in, but what an awkward length it is now! Hope your DH and all are doing well now. How is our other NC friend... Lauren? (Gee whiz, it's been so long - since that dedication for Charlie's Turtle Pond...)

Joules
May 10th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done. Sorry to bring bad news. Whatever you're shedding now died back when you were ill, and the shedding won't stop until all the telogen hairs fall out. Normally stress and illness-related shedding starts 2-4 months after the stress happened and can last up to 6 months. The best thing you can do now is relax (easier said than done, I know, but your hair doesn't need any more stress) and don't waste your time on shampoos and lotions. If the shedding doesn't stop after 6 months, I'd suggest going to a doctor.

Vitamin supplements never hurt though, they might not stop the shedding, but they will help new hair to grow stronger and faster.

The good part here is that you won't go bald, such sheds are normal and happen to everyone.

Kerrtu-Kevät
May 10th, 2022, 10:35 AM
I had covid back at the beginning of January and around March I noticed a uptick of shedding that just stopped recently. I hadn't put the time line together but it would make sense it was caused by being sick I was really confused what was going on.

I'm glad that I stopped the shedding, I don't think I lost a lot of thickness but I got frustrated at pulling out 150-200 hairs everytime I washed it and always raining sheds when I touched my hair haha.

Obsidian
May 11th, 2022, 05:05 PM
My daughter lost over half her hair after covid. Its still a dry, broken mess but she has 2" growth all over and you can tell her thickness is back in the roots.
Shes planning on a big cut at some point, maybe to apl, she was nearly at waist.

Glitch
May 12th, 2022, 07:49 PM
My daughter lost over half her hair after covid. Its still a dry, broken mess but she has 2" growth all over and you can tell her thickness is back in the roots.
Shes planning on a big cut at some point, maybe to apl, she was nearly at waist.

Oh my gosh, my best wishes your guys' way (and anyone else experiencing the same)! I wish her a speedy recovery right back to where she was! I had no idea these kinds of things were/are a thing with Covid. I caught Covid myself last month and experienced bizarre symptoms (such as extreme aches in my feet to where it hurt badly to stand up at all, etc.) but hadn't heard of the hair loss.

May she get well soon if she (and anyone else here) hasn't beat Covid yet! :grouphug:

Obsidian
May 13th, 2022, 10:13 AM
Oh my gosh, my best wishes your guys' way (and anyone else experiencing the same)! I wish her a speedy recovery right back to where she was! I had no idea these kinds of things were/are a thing with Covid. I caught Covid myself last month and experienced bizarre symptoms (such as extreme aches in my feet to where it hurt badly to stand up at all, etc.) but hadn't heard of the hair loss.

May she get well soon if she (and anyone else here) hasn't beat Covid yet! :grouphug:

Thanks. She is better now but she did have a rough time of it. Spent a couple days in hospital then a couple months on oxygen at home. Luckily she doesn't seem to have any long term damage.

It was roughly three months after getting sick that the hair fall started and it lasted a couple months. I'm just glad to see her hair coming back as it was very upsetting for her.
She is using biotin shampoo, I doubt its really helping but she's happy with it.

Abacus
June 15th, 2022, 03:58 PM
hi friends, my covid test just came back positive. I'm feeling sick, like a bad cold with a mild fever. But of course the idea that I might have a big hair shed is bothering me. It's nice to have this thread to read. It sounds like even if it does happen, it's not the end of the world and does get better after some time. I think I'm going to stock up on some vitamins and probiotics.

Be safe everyone!

Hexana
June 16th, 2022, 12:39 AM
hi friends, my covid test just came back positive. I'm feeling sick, like a bad cold with a mild fever. But of course the idea that I might have a big hair shed is bothering me. It's nice to have this thread to read. It sounds like even if it does happen, it's not the end of the world and does get better after some time. I think I'm going to stock up on some vitamins and probiotics.

Be safe everyone!

Hope you will get through Covid fast and with mild simptoms! Yes definetly stock up on vitamins, maybe start adding so scalp masks with ayurvedic herbs, this seemed to help me a lot.

Lady Stardust
June 16th, 2022, 02:43 AM

Be safe everyone!

I hope you feel better really soon!

alewyn
June 16th, 2022, 05:42 AM

Be safe everyone!

:( wishing you mild illness and a quick recovery!

Abacus
June 17th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your well wishes everyone! My partner and I are both sick but getting through it. We've been so careful, but covid got us anyway.

When I think about the possibility of some hair loss, I guess I feel kind of comforted that it'll be happening when I'm so early on in my hair growth journey. I feel like it might feel more intense if you've worked for a decade to grow your hair and then it has a massive shed.

lapushka
June 17th, 2022, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your well wishes everyone! My partner and I are both sick but getting through it. We've been so careful, but covid got us anyway.

When I think about the possibility of some hair loss, I guess I feel kind of comforted that it'll be happening when I'm so early on in my hair growth journey. I feel like it might feel more intense if you've worked for a decade to grow your hair and then it has a massive shed.

This makes me so sad! :(

I hope you both recover soon, with the least possible aftercare needed!

SandyBottom
June 17th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Wishing you and your partner the best, Abacus. I didn't know until recently that shedding was a side effect of covid.

Death-Within-Me
July 6th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Subscribing to this thread because I've been battling Covid for 5 days now with stronger symptoms. The body is dosed with all kinds of medications so I'm not looking forward to the after-effects of this. I'm already shedding more than normal; it's super depressing.

Hexana
July 6th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Subscribing to this thread because I've been battling Covid for 5 days now with stronger symptoms. The body is dosed with all kinds of medications so I'm not looking forward to the after-effects of this. I'm already shedding more than normal; it's super depressing.
I am so sorry you are going throught this, hope you feel better soon! In the meantime start eating vitamins (C, D and others), when you feel better and start washing your hair (I assume you're not doing it now because you probably feel to sick) start doing ayurvedic Maks every week (amla, fenugreek, cassia etc.). Of course don't forget to during a lot of water, so you and your hair get enough hytration now.

Alien Girl
July 7th, 2022, 02:06 AM
I don’t know if anyones suggested these yet: Pumpkin Seed Oil & Evening Primrose Oil.
There’s studies online regarding how they reduce hair loss and promote hair growth and they also are generally great for health too.
I take these daily to combat hair loss from a medication I used to take. So sorry to anyone going through this, it’s one of my big fears of catching COVID. Stay safe everyone.

Death-Within-Me
July 7th, 2022, 07:46 AM
I am so sorry you are going throught this, hope you feel better soon! In the meantime start eating vitamins (C, D and others), when you feel better and start washing your hair (I assume you're not doing it now because you probably feel to sick) start doing ayurvedic Maks every week (amla, fenugreek, cassia etc.). Of course don't forget to during a lot of water, so you and your hair get enough hytration now.

Thank you Hexana. I hope your shedding lessens too. I do still wash my hair everyday and before each wash, I do a 10 minute massage and some Ayurvedic points massage. I do an oil mask with coconut oil, pumpkin seed oil, lavender oil and rosemary oil every 2 days (but even that is also increasing the shed sigh.)
And I've been taking in esp Vitamin D and drinking protein shakes.

rosenester
October 29th, 2022, 10:25 AM
I finally caught covid, after so long of avoiding it. My first thought is not hair, but it is such a reflection of the inner health of the body, I AM concerned about long term health health effects. And where else but to admit here, of course I have been loving my ‘long’ healthy WL hair, and would rather not deal with the consequence of a shed.

I read through this entire thread in bed coughing and drinking tea after a peanut butter on rice cake breakfast. This reminded me to take my regular daily multivitamin and fish oil. I almost forgot! Added to it vitamin D, and found some zinc lozenges from a previous cold. May send my partner out for vitamin C as I just ran out earlier this week.

Hitting this -so far mild- sickness with bedrest, 12 hr sleeps, tons of hydration with herbal teas, soup, and filtered water.

However, if I have a big shed I have made a decision to cut back to APL, with less heavy layering than last APL cut. This would remove most of my bleached ends, the strands from my nape may even be all virgin if I did it. It will be easier for me to care for a regrowth. My hair already has ridiculous amounts of volume above shoulder length compared to the lengths due to growing out my shag cut for over a year. If no shed happens, I will continue on my cutting 1/2” to 1” at a time.

That’s enough thinking, time for a rest :brains:

Finda
October 29th, 2022, 11:26 AM
I hope you're feeling better soon! I have no official numbers of how common a hair shed is after covid, but I don't think it's inevitably going to happen. I didn't notice more shedding when I had it and I payed close attention. Also, I don't know a single person who hasn't had covid yet and complaining about a long lasting fatigue is pretty common. But no-one I know has mentioned hairshedding yet. I know it's a common enough side effect, but my guess is it's not as common as other side effects.

rosenester
October 29th, 2022, 12:16 PM
I hope you're feeling better soon! I have no official numbers of how common a hair shed is after covid, but I don't think it's inevitably going to happen. I didn't notice more shedding when I had it and I payed close attention. Also, I don't know a single person who hasn't had covid yet and complaining about a long lasting fatigue is pretty common. But no-one I know has mentioned hairshedding yet. I know it's a common enough side effect, but my guess is it's not as common as other side effects.
Thanks for the well-wishes! I am definitely more concerned about other side effects from this shirt or ling term… but glad to know a shed isn’t super common, though.

Wow! I know a handful of people who haven’t had covid yet, I think I know more than the average persons amount of immune-compromised people though. My partner hasn’t had it yet, we both have serious health conditions that have made us very cautious, but it found me anyways- striking while my immune system was at the tale end of fighting off another viral infection. Which leads me to ask myself… Why am I thinking about hair at all? :lol: because it keeps me calm from cyclical worry about more important things, that’s why…

:couch:

lapushka
October 29th, 2022, 12:20 PM
I finally caught covid, after so long of avoiding it. My first thought is not hair, but it is such a reflection of the inner health of the body, I AM concerned about long term health health effects. And where else but to admit here, of course I have been loving my ‘long’ healthy WL hair, and would rather not deal with the consequence of a shed.

I read through this entire thread in bed coughing and drinking tea after a peanut butter on rice cake breakfast. This reminded me to take my regular daily multivitamin and fish oil. I almost forgot! Added to it vitamin D, and found some zinc lozenges from a previous cold. May send my partner out for vitamin C as I just ran out earlier this week.

Hitting this -so far mild- sickness with bedrest, 12 hr sleeps, tons of hydration with herbal teas, soup, and filtered water.

However, if I have a big shed I have made a decision to cut back to APL, with less heavy layering than last APL cut. This would remove most of my bleached ends, the strands from my nape may even be all virgin if I did it. It will be easier for me to care for a regrowth. My hair already has ridiculous amounts of volume above shoulder length compared to the lengths due to growing out my shag cut for over a year. If no shed happens, I will continue on my cutting 1/2” to 1” at a time.

That’s enough thinking, time for a rest :brains:

Oh man, that sucks! :( Feel better soon.

Well at least you got a game plan at the ready. I would wait it out though; not everyone sheds after having had Covid. So be patient, girlfriend, and I hope it doesn't happen, for sure!

Wendyp
October 30th, 2022, 06:55 AM
I just went through a start of a big shed when my dr put me on finisteride. I immediately started using minoxidil and it stopped it. I finally stopped the medicine as it caused other issues. I'm talking large doses of saw palmetto now as that helps with hair loss.

SandyBottom
October 31st, 2022, 05:21 PM
Take care, rosenester! I hope you feel strong and healthy soon.

rosenester
October 31st, 2022, 05:43 PM
Thanks lapushka, WendyP, and SandyBottom for the well-wishes, each day is a little better already. Staying on top of hydration, nutrition, rest and crossing fingers for no after effects after this passes.
:flowers:

GrowingOut
November 1st, 2022, 05:26 AM
Best wishes rosenester!! Hope it eases soon!

paulownia
November 1st, 2022, 05:38 AM
Today marks 3 months since I had covid.
No increased shedding yet, hair is just normal. I don't do anything special with it:D.

embee
November 1st, 2022, 05:39 AM
I had Covid in August and so far no massive shedding... nothing like the terrible shedding I had in spring of 2021 after some bug in early 2021 (not Covid, symptoms didn't match up at all). For sure I am shedding, but it's more like a normal Autumnal Shedding, nothing really unusual.

So maybe you won't shed much? :)

rosenester
November 1st, 2022, 08:44 AM
GrowingOut, paulownia, & embee, thanks! So glad to hear covid didn’t cause a shed for you both, it gives me hope!

paulownia
November 2nd, 2022, 12:34 AM
I actually think that those things are sometimes psychological. I'm not saying that covid doesn't cause shedding but hey, mind is a powerful thing;). We hear that it can happen and worry too much about it, and it can actually make it happen for us. Isn't worrying causing stress?
I had it exactly same way after giving birth. Everyone was just crying about postpartum shed and I was relaxed and took it lightly. And I didn't experience a drastic hair loss.
So I guess sometimes the best thing we can do is just chill:D

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 05:07 AM
I actually think that those things are sometimes psychological. I'm not saying that covid doesn't cause shedding but hey, mind is a powerful thing;). We hear that it can happen and worry too much about it, and it can actually make it happen for us. Isn't worrying causing stress?
I had it exactly same way after giving birth. Everyone was just crying about postpartum shed and I was relaxed and took it lightly. And I didn't experience a drastic hair loss.
So I guess sometimes the best thing we can do is just chill:D

Not the worst advice ever, even though I disagree that it is all due to the power of the mind.

paulownia
November 2nd, 2022, 05:29 AM
Not the worst advice ever, even though I disagree that it is all due to the power of the mind.
No, of course it's not:D. I just meant that we can make ourselves sick with worrying and overthinking. Sure that other factors are at play here.

rosenester
November 2nd, 2022, 06:54 AM
I completely agree about the power of the mind, and the unnecessary stress we sometimes cause ourselves. I’ve had physical pain manifest from stress before, mostly in the form of backaches or other muscle tensions, but very painful.

For me, I am cool as a cucumber right now, bored and relaxed in isolation, healing and resting. My partner is now sick, though. I am now observing he does not want to eat and I have to put food in front of him which doesn’t get finished, and thinking with many illnesses appetite can be a problem, and nutrition is vital to hair growth. I wonder if part of shed after illness could be linked to nutrition during illness (among other things of course). I stocked up on vitamins I had run out of and giving those to both of us to throw all I’ve got with mind and body to heal.

I am much better today, and am allowed to leave isolation, so going to have a nice hair wash and take a gentle walk to pick up a few supplies. I!ll report back in a few months if I happen to be one of the few who have a shed from this (even though my case appears mild so far)

:flowers: thanks for support and keeping from getting too terribly bored

Ylva
November 2nd, 2022, 07:56 AM
I had Covid in March and never experienced increased shedding because of it. For me, it was extremely mild (way milder than the regular flu that followed some months later), so I’m inclined to believe it is another case of telogen effluvium (a stress reaction) in those who do experience shedding, and that it’s indeed linked to cases where the body undergoes heavy stress.

Lady Stardust
November 2nd, 2022, 08:13 AM
I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this upthread. A friend of mine had significant hair loss while she had Covid, clumps were falling out on her pillow.

Personally, I didn’t notice shedding during or after Covid, even though I was very stressed with other non health matters in the weeks afterwards. I have experienced shedding at other times of year though.

I think it’s part of the nature of Covid - if affects people in very different ways. People have completely different experiences to each other. My main symptoms included eye pain and palpitations, as well as feeling like I had a heavy cold. I had it at the same time as my daughter and my husband. My daughter had a high temperature and vomited, my husband only coughed 3 times and had no other symptoms.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 08:27 AM
I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this upthread. A friend of mine had significant hair loss while she had Covid, clumps were falling out on her pillow.

Personally, I didn’t notice shedding during or after Covid, even though I was very stressed with other non health matters in the weeks afterwards. I have experienced shedding at other times of year though.

I think it’s part of the nature of Covid - if affects people in very different ways. People have completely different experiences to each other. My main symptoms included eye pain and palpitations, as well as feeling like I had a heavy cold. I had it at the same time as my daughter and my husband. My daughter had a high temperature and vomited, my husband only coughed 3 times and had no other symptoms.

Was about to say something to that effect, then I arrived at your paragraph saying as much. :)

Well I am just glad my parents (so far, knock on wood) haven't gotten sick and me neither. Well my mom caught a cold but it was not Covid (we were all very scared when she started feeling bad and coughing up a storm).

Death-Within-Me
November 2nd, 2022, 12:14 PM
Reporting in:

So I had strong, one-week Covid in July and it's now November. I haven't had any increase in shedding that I noticed.
Will update if anything changes!

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 12:19 PM
Reporting in:

So I had strong, one-week Covid in July and it's now November. I haven't had any increase in shedding that I noticed.
Will update if anything changes!

Good to know; thank you for updating us. Are you OK now? No remnants of the illness?

Death-Within-Me
November 3rd, 2022, 06:25 AM
Good to know; thank you for updating us. Are you OK now? No remnants of the illness?

Yes, I'm perfectly ok now. After the one week, I still had a slight cough for a few more weeks and then it was gone.
I will have to get my flu vaccine later this Friday though.

Thanks for asking!

lapushka
November 3rd, 2022, 01:02 PM
Yes, I'm perfectly ok now. After the one week, I still had a slight cough for a few more weeks and then it was gone.
I will have to get my flu vaccine later this Friday though.

Thanks for asking!

No worries, you're welcome, Death-Within-Me!

We also got our flu shot, and the Covid vaccine, all boostered up and flu shotted (LOL), and then hopefully it will all be OK! I keep seeing, I am sorry I can't get it out of my head, those people on ventilators, on their bellies.

Seeshami
November 3rd, 2022, 04:22 PM
my special hair oil

Equal parts
Coconut oil
Avocado
Apricot kernel
Grape seed
And almond

Specifically for hair loss I add ylang ylang. I used the small oil bottles from whole foods for the last batch made and one large soup spoon of ylang ylang.

The ylang ylang mixture caused my witch sister to accuse me of making her hair stronger and thicker than ever before. She took half the batch and I believe I conned the rest off on unsuspecting victims at work and belly dancers.

My recommended usage is prior to shower pretreat hair with oil like a deep conditioner, also massage into scalp and then wash out after 30 minutes. More is fine but generally hair can only absorb so much before it's full.

baanoo
November 3rd, 2022, 05:13 PM
my special hair oil

Equal parts
Coconut oil
Avocado
Apricot kernel
Grape seed
And almond

Specifically for hair loss I add ylang ylang. I used the small oil bottles from whole foods for the last batch made and one large soup spoon of ylang ylang.

The ylang ylang mixture caused my witch sister to accuse me of making her hair stronger and thicker than ever before. She took half the batch and I believe I conned the rest off on unsuspecting victims at work and belly dancers.

My recommended usage is prior to shower pretreat hair with oil like a deep conditioner, also massage into scalp and then wash out after 30 minutes. More is fine but generally hair can only absorb so much before it's full.

Seeshami!
This sounds like an A+ magic oil and now I want to try it. :magic:

embee
November 4th, 2022, 06:35 AM
Seeshami!

We must have been hanging out on different threads. :) Good to see you!

barnet_fair
November 4th, 2022, 03:55 PM
I find ylang ylang so overwhelming - even one drop of the essential oil in whatever I'm making is too much...

GrowingOut
November 4th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Between a bout of COVID at New Years and horrible personal stresses in July I lost about half my thickness. :( I think it's TE so it should hopefully grow back with babying but it's very discouraging, going to use the good advice here to regrow stronger and healthier, thank you to the kindness and support of these forums

Seeshami
November 10th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Seeshami!
This sounds like an A+ magic oil and now I want to try it. :magic: I hope it works well!

Seeshami!

We must have been hanging out on different threads. :) Good to see you!
I hide in hiatus ;) if I pop in it's generally blogs and to sing the praise of nature labs Tokyo repair shampoo and conditioner. Other than that I hide.

ArienEllariel
November 21st, 2022, 08:54 PM
I've definitely noticed an increase in shedding after about a month or two past having covid. Went from about 10-12 hairs lost in the shower to 24-30. Some are only 4-6in long. :/

SandyBottom
December 16th, 2022, 06:53 PM
I tested positive today. Feeling like I got run over. How long does it generally last (the virus, not the shed)? I have a massive migraine on top of it and right now I'm feeling the least crappy I have all day so thought I'd check in on this thread. Kind of surprised I got it after all this time and being fully boosted. This too shall pass...

Joyful Mystery
December 16th, 2022, 06:56 PM
I tested positive today. Feeling like I got run over. How long does it generally last (the virus, not the shed)? I have a massive migraine on top of it and right now I'm feeling the least crappy I have all day so thought I'd check in on this thread. Kind of surprised I got it after all this time and being fully boosted. This too shall pass...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! I was sick for about 10 days when I had COVID.

lapis_lazuli
December 16th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Get well soon, Sandy :grouphug:

foreveryours
December 16th, 2022, 07:25 PM

The "virus" finishes pretty quickly but the effects seem to last far longer.

I think I got it very early on like when only 10 people had died in this country. There were not tests. I felt like Rodney King must have. Pain only lasted for a few days though and then I was back on my feet. However, I was coughing up chunks, literally banana slugs, for months, that was so gross.

Hope it doesn't happen to you. Get well soon :flower:

Ylva
December 16th, 2022, 08:01 PM

I had a mild flu for a week. The first two days were the worst with a headache and a very sore throat and I was very tired. A cough lingered for about a month after, but that happens to me with every flu. For what it’s worth, I was not vaccinated.

Get better soon!

SeppV
December 17th, 2022, 08:53 AM

Any hard hitting flu can leave you really ill. But it varies, a lot. Had it in february. I started feeling feverish and really exhausted in the morning. Took a pain killer (Paracetamol), felt better and the fever never returned. I was well enough to be able to easily go about my tasks and really didn't even have many, if any, symptoms the next day. I took that pain killer because I have kids and have to care for them, so I felt awful doing that with a fever and flu symptoms. Happy it passed so easily.

My husband, on the other hand, almost always gets anything he gets stuck in his lungs for at least a week. He had a fever for a few days and then a lung inflammation, but nothing we ever sought a doctor for. He got much sicker with the RS-virus than Covid, worse lung inflamation. But he gets those easily because of his reflux disease.

My taste buds were weird for a few week though. That was very annoying :-P

SandyBottom
December 17th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Oh no! I hope you feel better soon! I was sick for about 10 days when I had COVID.

Get well soon, Sandy :grouphug:

The "virus" finishes pretty quickly but the effects seem to last far longer.

I think I got it very early on like when only 10 people had died in this country. There were not tests. I felt like Rodney King must have. Pain only lasted for a few days though and then I was back on my feet. However, I was coughing up chunks, literally banana slugs, for months, that was so gross.

Hope it doesn't happen to you. Get well soon :flower:
Banana slugs...LOL There's something to look forward to.

I had a mild flu for a week. The first two days were the worst with a headache and a very sore throat and I was very tired. A cough lingered for about a month after, but that happens to me with every flu. For what it’s worth, I was not vaccinated.

Get better soon!

You guys are the best! Thank you so much for the feedback and well wishes. Thursday and Friday I had fever over 101 degrees and the migraine, which might have been coincidental since we were having a low pressure system going through, nausea and vomity, and then last night...crazy, crazy fever. I've lost 4 lbs since Thursday and was only 95 to start with. Probably just water and will come right back. Still headache-y, but no fever and I ate a healthy breakfast today. It feels like the worst is over, just tired:pray:

SandyBottom
December 17th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Any hard hitting flu can leave you really ill. But it varies, a lot. Had it in february. I started feeling feverish and really exhausted in the morning. Took a pain killer (Paracetamol), felt better and the fever never returned. I was well enough to be able to easily go about my tasks and really didn't even have many, if any, symptoms the next day. I took that pain killer because I have kids and have to care for them, so I felt awful doing that with a fever and flu symptoms. Happy it passed so easily.

My husband, on the other hand, almost always gets anything he gets stuck in his lungs for at least a week. He had a fever for a few days and then a lung inflammation, but nothing we ever sought a doctor for. He got much sicker with the RS-virus than Covid, worse lung inflamation. But he gets those easily because of his reflux disease.

My taste buds were weird for a few week though. That was very annoying :-P

Yeah, it seems like people have such different experiences with it so you don't really know what to expect. Your response posted while I was responding to the others so sorry for double posting...I'm a bit slow:p

embee
December 17th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Yeah, it seems like people have such different experiences with it so you don't really know what to expect. Your response posted while I was responding to the others so sorry for double posting...I'm a bit slow:p

I only missed 1 day of work, and my reaction to the shots and booster was worse than the disease itself. Hope you get over it very soon. I will say the tiredness lingered for a long time, so rest when you can, go to bed early, that kind of thing. Pace yourself and don't plan monstrous busy days.... you know, like feeding 10 at Christmas, etc.

baanoo
December 17th, 2022, 07:43 PM
Oh Sandy, healing energy and godspeed to you :heartbeat:

I had it very early - also pre-tests - and it was so, so terrible with problems lingering for many many months. DH had it this summer and with the paxlovid antivirals was over it very quickly; he was back to work within a week.

SandyBottom
December 18th, 2022, 06:01 PM
I only missed 1 day of work, and my reaction to the shots and booster was worse than the disease itself. Hope you get over it very soon. I will say the tiredness lingered for a long time, so rest when you can, go to bed early, that kind of thing. Pace yourself and don't plan monstrous busy days.... you know, like feeding 10 at Christmas, etc.

Thanks, embee. I'm eating healthy, taking multivitamin, and trying not to panic that I'm not ready for Christmas. Whatever happens, it'll work out. We decided whoever's in the house now is who's coming for dinner. Family is too precious to risk.

Oh Sandy, healing energy and godspeed to you :heartbeat:

I had it very early - also pre-tests - and it was so, so terrible with problems lingering for many many months. DH had it this summer and with the paxlovid antivirals was over it very quickly; he was back to work within a week.

Aww baanoo...you're so sweet! Thanks for that. It must have been so frightening for those of you who got it early on when so little was know and even less was available. So much uncertainty and misinformation.

embee
December 19th, 2022, 05:39 AM
Thanks, embee. I'm eating healthy, taking multivitamin, and trying not to panic that I'm not ready for Christmas. Whatever happens, it'll work out. We decided whoever's in the house now is who's coming for dinner. Family is too precious to risk.

Christmas will happen whether you're ready or not. You can always decide to do Christmas celebration at New Year - or even Valentine's Day. It will not matter. :) I think your decision about who is coming for dinner is a good one.

Remember that paper plates and some pre-made food is perfectly ok. It's the people and the joy of being together that is important (unless you are very Christian and then it's the religious aspect that means the most!).

SandyBottom
December 19th, 2022, 06:02 AM
embee, a very heartfelt Thank You. Been feeling overwhelmed and not my usual happy self. Of course you're exactly right.

Stagecoach
December 24th, 2022, 11:25 AM
I had covid first in December '21 and had pretty significant hairloss. My Covid presented with high fever for 2 days which I suspect could have been the culprit.

Honestly I believe its why I saw such minimal growth this year ..only 2" compared to my pretty standard 5"

Right now I'm in the annoying regrowth stage where flyaways are not yet long enough to tuck into hair styles.

macitbolton
April 15th, 2024, 06:15 AM
Dealing with post-Covid shedding can be really tough, I've been there. It's like a double whammy after already going through the illness. I remember feeling so frustrated when my hair started falling out more than usual. One thing that really turned things around for me was discovering SEO boosting attempts. After doing some research, I decided to give it a shot. I noticed a difference in the strength and thickness of my hair after incorporating it into my routine. It's amazing how something natural can make such a difference!

macitbolton
April 15th, 2024, 06:25 AM
Dealing with post-Covid shedding can be really tough, I've been there. It's like a double whammy after already going through the illness. I remember feeling so frustrated when my hair started falling out more than usual. One thing that really turned things around for me was discovering I've got my eye on you!. After doing some research, I decided to give it a shot. I noticed a difference in the strength and thickness of my hair after incorporating it into my routine. It's amazing how something natural can make such a difference!

Experiencing hair shedding after COVID can be disheartening, but finding solutions like Spam can make a real difference. It's encouraging to hear about natural remedies that help restore hair strength and thickness.

maborosi
April 15th, 2024, 10:19 AM
LOL spambots spammin' up the thread, Ylva your edits cracked me up!

:spam: <- it gives me a chance to use this smiley that I've never used before!

Fethenwen
April 15th, 2024, 11:46 AM
I had really bad 1 week covid around February 2022. Was under a lot of stress as our whole family got sick AND the war in Ukraine started which made things much worse. We were really sick and skittish and shocked at the same time.
I suffer from pretty bad long covid, at the moment I still have some post exertional malaise and POTS, which I am working on.

Anyway, I must have really good hair genetics for some reason. It is really weird really, like my teeth are not even close as durable as my hair. I had no shedding from post covid, also I did not even have any shedding post-partum. Just mentioning my teeth, as the health of teeth, nails and hair should be connected right? But for me it doesn't seem like it :p

Ylva
April 15th, 2024, 02:14 PM
LOL spambots spammin' up the thread, Ylva your edits cracked me up!

:spam: <- it gives me a chance to use this smiley that I've never used before!

:laugh: I had my ban hammer ready!

lapis_lazuli
April 15th, 2024, 05:36 PM
I got Covid for the first time in July 2023. Three months later, I noticed heavier shedding, so I collected it and weighed 22g of hair at the end of the month. I don't regularly measure my hairfall, so I don't have numbers to compare it to, but the weekly shed looked equivalent to a normal month's-worth, so maybe 4x as much as usual. Thankfully it only lasted for that month. I caught Covid again this January, now we're in April... but haven't noticed anything yet, knock on wood.

foreveryours
April 15th, 2024, 06:03 PM
I think I had Covid once, very early almost before it was a thing, and before I starting collecting, but since, I've collected regularly and 22 grams is a frightening amount of hair, even when it's so long. I know something's up if a month's worth is over 5 for me.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=49824&d=1711331708

lapis_lazuli
April 17th, 2024, 02:57 PM
I think I had Covid once, very early almost before it was a thing, and before I starting collecting, but since, I've collected regularly and 22 grams is a frightening amount of hair, even when it's so long. I know something's up if a month's worth is over 5 for me.

Yeah, it immediately set off alarm bells, it was pretty intense. I'm sure strand thickness is a factor, as I have a mix of medium and coarse, so they'll be heavier on average. At floor length, I think anywhere from 5-6 grams of shed per month is a normal amount for me.

SandyBottom
April 18th, 2024, 01:22 PM
I got Covid for the first time in July 2023. Three months later, I noticed heavier shedding, so I collected it and weighed 22g of hair at the end of the month. I don't regularly measure my hairfall, so I don't have numbers to compare it to, but the weekly shed looked equivalent to a normal month's-worth, so maybe 4x as much as usual. Thankfully it only lasted for that month. I caught Covid again this January, now we're in April... but haven't noticed anything yet, knock on wood.

Twice in 6 months?? Ugh! I hope you don't go through another shed.

lapis_lazuli
April 18th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Twice in 6 months?? Ugh! I hope you don't go through another shed.

Yes, exactly 6 months later, after avoiding it for 3 years lol. I hope not either.