PDA

View Full Version : ISO aerosol free dry shampoo (powder or other) for sensitive scalp

linnepinne
December 23rd, 2021, 12:35 AM
I had a flare up of irritated scalp some months ago (I blame Olaplex no 3...), and I have just managed to heal it and stopped the horrible hair loss I was experiencing.

My hair is naturally greasy and washing everyday is what seems to work best for my scalp and my growth. However, it is just. such. a. bother. to wash every single day. And my hair is not even long yet... It would be great to find a product that can help me skip a wash day atleast here and there!

I have dabbeled some in dry shampoo in the past, but regular ones in aerosol cans are awful for my scalp (probably the alcohol content), and I have tried a few powdered ones without aerosol:

1. Kisby dry shampoo powder - I liked this one ok. Not fantastic at absorbing oil, but scent is mild and does not make hair feel sticky. I also go through one of these little cans sooooo quickly.
2. Redken Dry Shampoo powder 02 - HATED it. Make my hair very sticky/grimy feeling and irritated my scalp. It contains charcoal which makes it gray, and it's somehow even harder to conceal than white formulas...
3. Bumble & Bumble prêt-à-powder dry shampoo powder - Left a white cast, not great at absorbing oil. Too strong of a scent.
4. Rice flour and corn starch from my pantry - It's a mystery too me how anyone can get this to work as a dry shampoo? It absorbs nothing, almost feels like it adds MORE greasy feeling to my hair.

Curious if any of you have any recs for a brand that you like? Preferably something for a sensitive scalp. Not too strong of a scent would also be great.

Was interested in trying the Briogeo one, but I'm a little sceptical since it has charcoal and some clays which might be too heavy for my fine hair and sensi scalp. The Aveda one seems to be reformulated for the worse, so I'm not really interested in that one any more.

Any input, experience or suggestions welcome! TIA :blossom:

Ylva
December 25th, 2021, 06:04 AM
I came to think of the one by NightBlooming (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming) on Etsy.

linnepinne
December 25th, 2021, 08:14 AM
Thank you! I'll def check it out

SelenVinland
December 25th, 2021, 08:28 PM
I have a somewhat sensitive scalp and had luck with a brand called two goats apothecary for dry shampoo. It’s a powder dry shampoo, no aerosol. I use the black powder and it does turn up a bit gray at first so I have to brush my hair pretty thoroughly. They have a variety of colors though, so maybe that’s mainly a problem with the black one.

linnepinne
December 26th, 2021, 08:15 AM
I have a somewhat sensitive scalp and had luck with a brand called two goats apothecary for dry shampoo. It’s a powder dry shampoo, no aerosol. I use the black powder and it does turn up a bit gray at first so I have to brush my hair pretty thoroughly. They have a variety of colors though, so maybe that’s mainly a problem with the black one.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Shorty89
December 26th, 2021, 10:21 AM
Have you tried the "airing powder" recipe on LHC? I've never really used other dry shampoos but I like this one.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387&p=140177#post140177

linnepinne
December 26th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Have you tried the "airing powder" recipe on LHC? I've never really used other dry shampoos but I like this one.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387&p=140177#post140177

Thanks for the rec! However, I’m a bit lazy nowadays and probably won’t try to make any sort of natural product 😅 Great if it works for you though!

I’m really in the market for something I could purchase, and that does include more ”chemicals” that are more efficient at soaking up oil.

Shorty89
December 30th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the rec! However, I’m a bit lazy nowadays and probably won’t try to make any sort of natural product �� Great if it works for you though!

I’m really in the market for something I could purchase, and that does include more ”chemicals” that are more efficient at soaking up oil.

Totally fair. I've never really bought anything so I'm not helpful. Hopefully someone has a good suggestion for you.