PDA

View Full Version : MSM users.

BleachedBerry
December 21st, 2021, 10:09 PM
Please share your experience
Do you take it for hair or other reasons such as joint pain?
Any side effects or breakouts?
Powder form or pills?
Do you get strange vivid dreams?
Does your hair grow any faster or stronger or thicker?

I have used msm for many years off and on, but I have been religious about it for over a year now, I take 3 scoops of powder dissolved in iced tea every morning.
I find my hair grows a bit faster and the quality has greatly improved.
The dreams are vivid for me but no other side effects.
It supposedly lengthens the growing phase of the hair growth cycle. So each hair will grow longer before it enters the resting and shedding phase so hair will grow longer in time.
At least thats what I understand of it.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2021, 04:26 AM
Can I say? Sounds a... lot. And if you get such side-effects that it influences the way you sleep. Ooooh I would pull my hands off this so fast. But that's me.

I would say that you have to weigh the cost/benefits of it all. If the amount of trouble is not worth the little you gain? And it costs you money on top of it all, then I would ditch it.

Just to set something straight. You can't make your hair grow thicker than the number of follicles on your head will allow. So what you're born with, you are stuck with for the rest of your life, is what that means. Now if you have a deficiency, then yes, you can grow back to original thickness, but with the help of whatever you are *deficient* in.

And I would not mess with anything else.

sipnsun
December 22nd, 2021, 04:59 AM
I've taken it on and off for years for joint pain because I'm a distance runner. I take it in pill form mixed with Glucosamine Chondroitin (and sometimes turmeric) and the recommended dosage is 3 pills per day. If I take them all at once I get nauseous so I try to take one in the morning and two at bedtime while I'm actively training for a race. I've never had any side affects that I can recall. They definitely don't help my hair growth because I'm currently training for a marathon, been taking it religiously for the past 4 months and have had the worst growth stall of my life unfortunately. It really helps my joints though so I'll keep taking it!

lapushka
December 22nd, 2021, 06:27 AM
I've taken it on and off for years for joint pain because I'm a distance runner. I take it in pill form mixed with Glucosamine Chondroitin (and sometimes turmeric) and the recommended dosage is 3 pills per day. If I take them all at once I get nauseous so I try to take one in the morning and two at bedtime while I'm actively training for a race. I've never had any side affects that I can recall. They definitely don't help my hair growth because I'm currently training for a marathon, been taking it religiously for the past 4 months and have had the worst growth stall of my life unfortunately. It really helps my joints though so I'll keep taking it!

I have a basic chondroitin/glucosamine supplement but in some there is MSM and in others: no. I just one time take those, then the others. But it's not as if I am really taking an MSM supplement long term, in fact it is not in most of them.

And what's the oddest, in the time that my hair grew so much all of a sudden (about 1 inch per month), all I did was up my vegetable intake (I do still eat meat with it and a starch). And I had a ton of fruits during the summer. ETA/ No MSM at all, not for years in fact.

Now my hair is back to its old self. I just don't push it. Whatever for!

ZoeZ
December 22nd, 2021, 07:48 AM
I have a basic chondroitin/glucosamine supplement but in some there is MSM and in others: no. I just one time take those, then the others. But it's not as if I am really taking an MSM supplement long term, in fact it is not in most of them.

And what's the oddest, in the time that my hair grew so much all of a sudden (about 1 inch per month), all I did was up my vegetable intake (I do still eat meat with it and a starch). And I had a ton of fruits during the summer. ETA/ No MSM at all, not for years in fact.

Now my hair is back to its old self. I just don't push it. Whatever for!

Msm is actually present in vegetables - and a much healthier way for the body to absorb it, I think.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2021, 09:13 AM
Msm is actually present in vegetables - and a much healthier way for the body to absorb it, I think.

No idea. Well, in pill form it does zilch, so it's gotta be more of what's in the vegetables. I mean, it still is a mystery to me; don't think it's the vegetables alone, or the fruit. Because now I eat as much, and... nope.

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2021, 09:58 AM
I've been wating it for a month to see if it will do anything for my joints. I'm really not expecting it to affect my hair in any way, since I'm already eating healthy. I'm taking pills and I've experienced no side effects.

BleachedBerry
December 22nd, 2021, 10:07 AM
Can I say? Sounds a... lot. And if you get such side-effects that it influences the way you sleep. Ooooh I would pull my hands off this so fast. But that's me.

I would say that you have to weigh the cost/benefits of it all. If the amount of trouble is not worth the little you gain? And it costs you money on top of it all, then I would ditch it.

Just to set something straight. You can't make your hair grow thicker than the number of follicles on your head will allow. So what you're born with, you are stuck with for the rest of your life, is what that means. Now if you have a deficiency, then yes, you can grow back to original thickness, but with the help of whatever you are *deficient* in.

And I would not mess with anything else.

I love the way my hair looks and feels when I take it. and it helps with mild joint pain, plus its cheap so I'm going to continue.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2021, 10:23 AM
I love the way my hair looks and feels when I take it. and it helps with mild joint pain, plus its cheap so I'm going to continue.

Oh I am for sure not going to toss the MSM, chondroitine & glucosamine bottles of pills, oh no! But when buying my joint supplements, and it's the combo of chondroitine & glucosamine that does it (tested on animals first, comes out of veterinary care when a NYT journalist watched her cripple dog take normal steps on it, that's how it slowly got "humanized" as she started to test it on herself). Anyhoo... Might want to try that instead of MSM. MSM is a nice "add-on" but that is al it is!

me lene
December 23rd, 2021, 02:39 AM
Hello! i took it some months before....no vivid dreams for me...no side effects at all !
Also when i stopped taking it i did not experienced more hairloss. But i was taking 1 teaspoon per day (or sometimes 2)
What about you?

me lene
December 23rd, 2021, 02:42 AM
What about spraying your hair roots with MSM water? Is it gonna help??

Ylva
December 25th, 2021, 05:58 AM
I've been taking anywhere from 1 to 5 grams of MSM per day for the past almost 2.5 years as it's present in my electrolyte drink powder that has been a staple in my diet for that long. I tried taking MSM in unflavoured powder form prior to that and it tasted so incredibly disgusting to me that I gave up; it was pure suffering! I made my mom and dad taste it as well and they didn't react anywhere near as strongly, just found it kind of unpleasant, so I think I'm just a bit extreme in that regard. I would probably not take it, at least not this actively, if it wasn't included in the electrolyte product, so for me, MSM comes as a nice byproduct, I suppose.

I've not experienced any side effects from taking it - none that I would've recognised and connected to it, anyway. I was cured of my joint pains (knees when coming down the stairs, when lifting the leg that had just supported me; had to come down the stairs kind of sideways and support myself heavily with my arms), but I cannot tell how big of a part MSM played in that as I drastically altered my diet at the same time. It has had no effect on my hair thickness or growth speed, and I've never reached terminal as of yet, so I cannot say if the growth phase is longer now than it was pre-MSM.