PDA

View Full Version : Hello - Growing my hair long again

eversleeping
November 14th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi I'm Julie, 33 years old, married and the mom of 3 children, a girl and two boys. I had my twins in 2004 and my hair was just past shoulder length then. It was after they were born that I was determined to grow my hair long ... and I did. It had just reached my waist in 2007.

I had been going through some very stressful times beginning of 2008 (it didn't help at all I had a 'friend' telling me my hair was plain and boring all one length and that I needed a 'change'. I'm never listening to friends again. And so in February in a move to help me feel a better and heal from some inner issues, I cut 10 inches off my hair. (I'd thought about doing it for months so it wasn't really an impulse decision) prior to Christmas 2007 I'd made a few smaller cuts of 2 inches or so, so I was left in February 2008 with hair about an inch past my collarbone.

Then October 2008 I made the mistake of cutting several inches off again, bringing me back to collarbone length (even shorter then the first big cut!) and I added layers all around. I don't regret the first cut of 10 inches, though I now regret cutting it last month and the layers. It wasn't until I had been wearing a fake hair piece (wasn't a wig and wasn't extensions, sort of inbetween) which went halfway down my back for Halloween which made me realize I missed my long hair. So November 1st, I made the decision to grow my hair long again.

I don't use any heating tools, no curling irons, straighteners and I haven't had a blow dryer in the house for 6 years or so now. Dying it occasionally and playing with it I think are my main worst habits I do to my hair. I can't stop the playing, it's a habit I've had since I was little, but I don't do it nearly as much as I used to. I only play with a small section on the left hand side of my head, usually by braiding and unbraiding it (I can do that over and over as I watch tv without realizing it) or twirling it around my finger. It's relaxing in a way and it may sound silly but I like the silky feel of it as it slides over my fingers.

My hair is naturally dark brown, though I currently have it dyed Dark Burgundy. I love the purplish colour it gives my hair. I only dyed it a week ago but I already have new growth showing! My one plus is my hair grows fast. I've already regained about 3/4 of an inch since cutting it about 3 weeks ago. It seems to grow faster in the winter too for some reason.

And so that's my novel :D Looking forward to when my hair is waist length once again!

crazy me
November 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the family!

Since you love to die your hair and are looking to get your hair to grow longer, you should definitely check out the articles on henna and indigo. That way you can a different color without damaging your hair so it can grow long in a healthy sort of way.

I can sympathize with you when it comes to playing with one's hair, i love to do the same. I usually have to keep mine back in a braid to keep myself from constantly wanting to do something different with it.

I wish you to best of luck and I hope you really do enjoy this site, it's wonderful to be near so many people that care!

sneakybea
November 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Welcome, and congrats on joining LHC! I can totally identify with you on the "playing with hair" thing---I guess I'm better than I used to be, but I like to wear my hair back when I'm teaching or presenting something, so I don't distract people with the fidgeting!
Good luck!

neon-dream
November 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Welcome ^_^!!
I have a habit of playing with my hair too, haha
xxx

spidermom
November 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You've come to the right place for good growth vibes. Welcome.