PDA

View Full Version : First time meeting these guys - how to wear my hair, please?

StephanieB
November 14th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Tomorrow I am going to meet the guys (and wives and some kids) of my Land Cruiser Club.

I've been a member for over a year, now, but this has been a rough year for me - handicapped newly and all... and I haven't yet actually physically met any of them, yet.

Tomorrow is an annual planning meeting at a local watering hole. Dress is quite casual. I'll probably wear jeans or leggings, and some kind of sweatshirt or sweater/top or plaid flannel shirt.

How to wear my hair?

Up or down?

How? (loose, half-up, bun, what?)

TIA. :)

lynnala
November 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I would think about how you feel the most comfortable with your hair. I know that when I do special things to my hair because of an event, I am always miserable and thinking about my hair and worrying if it looks okay. Personally, my hair feels the most comfortable when I just tie it in a knot on top of my head. So just do what feels 'right' to you, so you are not worrying about your hair while you meet everyone. Since it is casual, I would wear it the way you normally wear it when you are not thinking about it.

embee
November 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I agree, it is more important to be comfortable than fussing with your hair. Wear it in a style you do not have to worry about, so you can concentrate on all these new people. :)

Since so many people seem to think anyone out of childhood should have short hair, it might be wise to have an updo. Also you might come across non-threatening to these wives. As you already know, an attractive woman with long pretty hair is always Open Season for nasty comments from other women.

joyfulmom4
November 15th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Now see, I was thinking if I were to meet new people for the first time in a casual setting, I'd go for hair down. B/c it's so pretty! And it's soft looking.

But others do have a point that wearing it up would be non-threatening and also would be acceptable in the eyes of the over-forty-short-hair-police.

Perhaps an updo with some soft fullness framing your face or a few loose or messy strands? Choose a really classy hairtoy to add style.

A slightly mess french twist would be good.

wintersun99
November 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM

StephanieB
November 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Joyfulmom & I are on the same wavelength.

I decided to make a "casual French Twist" and hold it with the "mother's comb" (NOT MY mother's - see my blog entry from yesterday, with pix).
Up, not down - for those over-40-must-be-short police.
Fancy-ish updo to the guys - who can't figure out how it's done, but a plainjane 'do to women, who know how it's done.
A non-strict F.T. isn't quite so anal-renentive looking to those who are police about that, too.
It goes up easily, and took me know to me to put it up... and if wind took it out, or rain (it was nasty weather today) - I could easily put it back with no fuss, and even no mirror, if need be.

I gave it plenty of thought!

So, I wore it up in a not-perfect French Twist held with this plain-ish comb, with dark plum jeans leggings and a big oversized brown hooded sweatshirt that's a classic Land Cruiser top ("Toyota Land Cruisers: Stout!/We'll know how long they last when the first one finally dies.")
The joke ^ is that the "first one" was made in 1959, of course..... and there are still plenty of those old Cruisers still running in this world. ;)

There were two other women. One - an officer's wife, and the other a longtime club member who drove from Albany to Mahwah just for this meeting and then turned around and drove all the way home. Both were quite friendly, and happily surprised to see a new woman's face in the crowd.

Some of the guys asked me "how my hair did that".
So, I took it down to show them.
It didn't want to go back up again, so I whipped out the little goldtone heart flexi-8 that I just bought on the Swap board a few weeks ago - and did a fast half-up with that.
The guys are still talking about my "amazing hair", I think... :rolleyes:

One of the women had permed hair that was over her choulders but not yet BSL, and hers was "just" hanging down.
The other wore her hair chin-length in what would be a bob if her hair wasn't really really REALLY curly.
Both enjoyed seeing how easy hairdo's were for me, and the one with shorter curly hair said she wished she could have long hair... but couldn't handle all her hair if she grew it. So, of course, I directed her here. Dunno if she'll come by, but I tried. She had some pretty hardline pre-conceived notions.

At least I entertained everyone. LOL

And there was a few jokes about how they could use my hair the next time we were all out in the woods or on the rock piles, and no one had a snatch strap handy when someone rolled their Cruiser and needed to be uprighted.
A snatch strap is a gigantic strap used from one un-mired upright vehicle, around a large tree, and attached to a mired and/or rolled vehicle to pull the mired/rolled vehicle back upright and/or out of the mud or water. Once it's all attached, you use the un-mired upright vehicle to pull the mired/rolled one, by backing the moveable vehicle backwards and use brute force OR with a winch to winch the stuck vehicle.
It was meant as a compliment. ;)

StephanieB
November 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It was meant as a compliment. ;)
But I told them all that the very next of them who says "Snatch Strap Girl" once more time WILL taste my knuckle sandwich - served swiftly and with some heat. LMAO

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I always liked a half up/half down style for initial meetings (outside of work).

Sorry that you are newly handicapped though! That sucks!! Regardless of these things, the people will enjoy meeting YOU. Your hair will just dazzle them as a reflection of your personality. Have fun! :)

StephanieB
November 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I met them today, and we DID have fun -- ALL of us!

I now know who's gonna install the lift on my FJ80, and who else is gonna custom-make fabulous rock sliders for my rig AND install Aussie ARB bumpers, and who other else is willing to seel me very good condition used off-road terrain tires so he can turn abuot and buy the boggers that he wants. :D

I can wire my own auxilliary lights, and a winch (once I can afford a winch). :)

But BEST of all -- hubby is now in complete understanding of why I need to spend all that money on trail armour for my Land Cruiser!
No more money arguments about it!! :cheese:

I either pay for armour OR I pay for new body damages repairs after each time out driving in the trees or driving hood-deep in rivers or driving up the rocks & cliffs!

Trees and rocks WILL tear unprotected rocker panels, fender flares, and hoods, hatches * tailgates, and fenders & doors.
Rock piles WILL tear transmission transfer cases out, if they're not protected by good tansfer case plates under the rig.
Even Land Cruisers WILL roll over, and one needs winches & snatch straps to recover them; that's just a function of the sport of off-road wheeling!

But - there's also NOTHING else like the joy of nature's beauty all aorund you, where most humans have not gone before and spoiled, and that's what our Land Cruisers were designed for: to take us there to those places.

Anyhow, I had a lot of fun meeting the club members. And I want to get more involved with club activities on roads and off-road. :D

Kleis
November 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
But - there's also NOTHING else like the joy of nature's beauty all aorund you, where most humans have not gone before and spoiled, and that's what our Land Cruisers were designed for: to take us there to those places.

Even better, leave the Land Cruiser at home and go in hiking boots. :twocents:

StephanieB
November 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Even better, leave the Land Cruiser at home and go in hiking boots. :twocents:
Okay.

You're pushing my manual wheelchair, right? :D

My electric mobility scooter only goes about 30 miles before it needs another charge for 10 hours.....

You know I can't walk, right? :)

I'm sure you didn't.

It's okay. No offense taken.

I can't help it if I don't "seem"; like the usual crip, with my camping & wheeling activities. ;)

I stopped being able to walk 16 or 17 months ago. And I slowly lost the ability to walk very far for a year or so before that. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and my spine is now involved.
I just refuse to give up my beloved activities for as long as possible.

When I was able-bodied, I'd've told you that you can't hike to where a Cruiser can take you. That's still true.

I used to hike on foot.

I still ride my Pride Maxima to a lot of places where I used to hike.

But when you're old and disabled - you lose a lot of choice.

God willing - you'll discover that some day.
(coz if you don't live that long..... that'd be even worse)

I used to be young and healthy too. God bless those of you who still are. :)

StephanieB
November 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
There's a reason why you see in my avvy pic, and in all pix in my blog, I'm leaning on a wall. ;)

But - I have to say I'm glad that I don't LOOK like a crip! :cheese:

Yaaay!! I look A-B and was mistaken for it! :D :cheese: